Model Appearance Guide

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Model Appearance Guide

Ninth age is amazing, it enables you to pick up any models you like, make an army out of them and play the game. Now a problem is the community, people say they won't play with you if you do a certain modification. I was told Warriors of the Dark Gods can't be played by picking up late medieval knights for Chosen, and early medieval knights for Warriors. Of course I would add spikes, and some smoke/flame to them to make it obvious what faction they are. I've had arguments no one would know what they are and I can't and should not play them ?( . Meanwhile one dude uses wherewolfs for Treekin, and everyone is fine with that ?( .

Could we make a PDF that tells what features the model must have in order to be legal by anyone. So let's say the above mentioned Treekin, they are supposed to be Ents, okay so they need leaves, they need branches and wood motifs. Warriors of the Dark gods should have spikes on anything, as all models people do use are spiky and it fits their theme, and so on..

I know point of T9A is to play with anything, but the truth is some communities strait out reject non games workshop models, which I frankly find narrow minded, dull and not good for the game.
  • Don't play with those guys. If your models have had effort put into the building and painting of them, anyone who tells you they refuse to play against you is doing you a favour, they would likely be terrible opponents anyway.

Converted knights is perfectly fine for warriors units.
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
  • Well it's all a matter of taste. Some people will not like your miniatures because of a multitude of reasons ranging from painting to the company you bought them from. My opinion on the matter is that as long as I know what your models represent and they somewhat fit (so no forest goblins that are acting as flame wardens unless you really want to test out an army you have no models for) I'm fine with it. I'd also be fine with werewolves being Treekin or almost any other unit of larger infantry on the same bases. Probably would not like them acting as something with a lot of armour but other than that no problem.

At first thought your idea of medieval 'normal human' knights acting as Warriors of the dark gods sounds odd to me. But then I think of the painting opportunities. Instead of the generic knight colours you could use lots of red, black and such to make them clearly evil knights. Instead of flowers on blue banners you could paint skulls on a black banner. Depends on the way they would look once finished. You can check out the miniatures sections of armies for useful sites and sources to look for the more generic and accepted miniatures for use. That said I also have a cool vision for a WDG army made up entirely of vikings and maybe some more fantasy oriented miniatures.
    It's okay, it has frenzy.

Just Flank It © KoE - Tactics 101
  • Traziremus wrote:

For casual play it is okay not to play with those people.
    But when it comes to tournaments everyone is going to you will be left out because the organizer as a games workshop fetish.
    Then you need to inform the organizers that this game does not force players to use miniatures from a certain company...
    It's okay, it has frenzy.

Just Flank It © KoE - Tactics 101
  • that is unfortunate. Not sure where you are based, but in UK model standards at tourneys are very loose (too loose for my tastes, even unpainted, broken piles of detritus are often accepted) I guess all I can say is if you are inteding to attend tourneys where GW models are mandatory, then buy GW models. Sad state of affairs though.

• WastelandWarrior wrote:

I guess all I can say is if you are inteding to attend tourneys where GW models are mandatory, then buy GW models. Sad state of affairs though.
    But this is all wrong. The very core of the game is freedom of miniatures to use. GW is not even a supporting company and there are supporting companies who make WoDG models. Would those be disallowed, too?
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
    _____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
    Or my WoT EU clan:
    The Ninth Army
  • JimMorr wrote:

WastelandWarrior wrote:

I guess all I can say is if you are inteding to attend tourneys where GW models are mandatory, then buy GW models. Sad state of affairs though.
    But this is all wrong. The very core of the game is freedom of miniatures to use. GW is not even a supporting company and there are supporting companies who make WoDG models. Would those be disallowed, too?
    Yeah, I agree with you but what can you do? If the only tourney organiser in your area demands you wear a cocktail dress to events and you want to go to the event then you wear the cocktail dress ;)

• Well if some Organizer is going against the heart of the T9A spirit (core? soul?) of using any model you want as along as it is clearly visibly defined... at least a letter of complaint from the community is in order.

It is absurd a tournament from an independent, community game should be restrained by using the miniatures from a single company, specially a company that doesn't support the game!!

This is crazy!
  • We have people like that her aswell, stuck in the mindset "We always played like this. It has to be like this.".

These are people who want to powergame the good old WfB game, but since the toiurnament scene shifted to 9th they were forced to move to 9th. But they do it as little as they can. They treat it as WfB 9th, and demad GW miniaures and rules. They refuse to go forward and accept change.

These are not people you want to play. They are not nice to play with, and within the next few month they will leavethe game scene anyway as they will have to start accepting this isnt WfB. They live on nostalgia, and each step of change is a blow against it - they will fight it with all their strenght.

They still want to play WfB 6th ed tournaments, but were forced by the current tournament environment to accept 9th.
    #freekillerinstinct - Killer Instinct for all Dread Elves!
  • Nah. Our local tournaments were at the local gamestore, and they wanted you to use models bought in that store. And the only fantasy game they sold was WHFB. You could probably have cobbled together an Empire army with Pike&Shotte, but still.
    A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

MAKE THE SWARM COWARDLY AGAIN!
    WE DEMAND TERRIBLE LEADERSHIP!
    DOWN WITH COMPETENT GENERALS!
  • Eldan wrote:

Nah. Our local tournaments were at the local gamestore, and they wanted you to use models bought in that store. And the only fantasy game they sold was WHFB. You could probably have cobbled together an Empire army with Pike&Shotte, but still.
    That is also a very silly way of going about buisness. Traffic is what generates sales, not kicking out people if they dont buy correct stock.

They should accept anyone and display the stuff they want you to buy, more people will be there, more eyeballs to see your good and suggest a buy. People hate being forced to buy stuff, suggestion is better.
  • Memnite wrote:

They should accept anyone and display the stuff they want you to buy, more people will be there, more eyeballs to see your good and suggest a buy. People hate being forced to buy stuff, suggestion is better
    Today T9A is viewed as game made by and for old players with armies already built with rules that cannot be even sold. A game with miniatures based on second-hand models purchased cheap from e-bay AND even a game actively supporting recasts and frivolous approach to copyright. And this is worst type of game and customers for shops. And shops really do benefit from unbalanced systems, new models destroying balance, new OP armies, all that Pay2Win which T9A strives to remove. Today they view T9A as a hazard not as a chance.
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
    _____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
    Or my WoT EU clan:
    The Ninth Army
  • JimMorr wrote:

Memnite wrote:

They should accept anyone and display the stuff they want you to buy, more people will be there, more eyeballs to see your good and suggest a buy. People hate being forced to buy stuff, suggestion is better
    Today T9A is viewed as game made by and for old players with armies already built with rules that cannot be even sold. A game with miniatures based on second-hand models purchased cheap from e-bay AND even a game actively supporting recasts and frivolous approach to copyright. And this is worst type of game and customers for shops. And shops really do benefit from unbalanced systems, new models destroying balance, new OP armies, all that Pay2Win which T9A strives to remove. Today they view T9A as a hazard not as a chance.

Hmm. Thats a valid view for large company and large shops. Local shop owned by Bob with 5 customers a day will be happy for this kind of traffic, and lets face it - majority of hobby miniatures shops are like that. They will be happy to sell from any producent, non GW aswell as they usually have lower margins and easier for customer (easier to sell) producs.
  • They sell plenty of non-GW product. But GW is the only high fantasy product they have, as far as I know. They have some Malifaux and Freebooter's Fate, but that's about it for fantasy. Their market is mostly SciFi these days. 40k, X-wing, Infinity, each of those probably outsells all fantasy products put together by a wide margin. A bit of historical, too, but that's also pretty niche and I've never seen any tournaments or a lot of games for those, just a few collectors.

And being pretty much the only store for this market in the surrounding area, the shop is pretty packed. They have tournaments every Saturday and are pretty packed on Fridays, too.
    A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

MAKE THE SWARM COWARDLY AGAIN!
    WE DEMAND TERRIBLE LEADERSHIP!
    DOWN WITH COMPETENT GENERALS!
  • Traziremus wrote:

Ninth age is amazing, it enables you to pick up any models you like, make an army out of them and play the game. Now a problem is the community, people say they won't play with you if you do a certain modification. I was told Warriors of the Dark Gods can't be played by picking up late medieval knights for Chosen, and early medieval knights for Warriors. Of course I would add spikes, and some smoke/flame to them to make it obvious what faction they are. I've had arguments no one would know what they are and I can't and should not play them ?( . Meanwhile one dude uses wherewolfs for Treekin, and everyone is fine with that ?( .

Could we make a PDF that tells what features the model must have in order to be legal by anyone. So let's say the above mentioned Treekin, they are supposed to be Ents, okay so they need leaves, they need branches and wood motifs. Warriors of the Dark gods should have spikes on anything, as all models people do use are spiky and it fits their theme, and so on..

I know point of T9A is to play with anything, but the truth is some communities strait out reject non games workshop models, which I frankly find narrow minded, dull and not good for the game.
    The only T9A requirement is models have the right base size. There is no other requirement. You can make your WDG army Little Mermaid-themed, and that's perfectly T9A legal. As long as you are happy with your army, no one else's opinion on your models should matter for playing.

People complaining about medieval knights for WDG, who basically are (late) medieval knights, is simply ridiculous.

Any aesthetic derived from GW is definitely not required. Your Warriors of the Dark Gods are not slave to the aesthetics of some other army in a totally different game.

Kindly explain that T9A is about model freedom for players, and T9A fully supports you using whatever models you feel appropriately represents your army.
    Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• I would understand this attitude from a store owner if they have limited space, if competing against infinity or 40k for table space the T9A tournaments should be hold only when there is space as these players will buy almost nothing from the store, but even then, allowing the tournament ONLY for players with 100% GW armies is just ridiculous.

Locally, in my area, stores are happy to hold tournaments of anything, even video games (smash bros and hartstone have been done a few times), as long as some money stay in the store.

For example, the tourney prize is a voucher to buy stuff in the store, the tourney inscription money is the prize divided among the first 3 (or 4 or whatever amount of places having a prize). In that way everybody wins. If a company is somehow supporting the event (like Infinity tournaments that have an ITS ranking) then and only then are miniatures restricted to only miniatures from the involved company.

Otherwise it makes no sense to block a community that can be buying stuff from you.