New Builder site/app for T9A . All 16 armies (2.0/2.1.1) supported. 100% free.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• flammy` wrote:

noir wrote:

Still doesn’t work on the iPhone unfortunately
    Hey noir,
    Could you try to go to Settings / Safari and Clear History and Website Data (if you don't mind clearing your browser history)?

It seemed to solve the issue for me.

I think there is sort of a double problem here:
    - For some reason Safari iOS got a bugged version of a javascript file that causes errors. I have no idea how or why but this bugged file was here.
    - For some other reason, Safari iOS refuses to ever update newrecruit and keeps its cached file despite my code explicitly stating it should get the new version from the network and not use a cached file. This causes an other issue, when I publish an update Safari iOS refuses to update and keeps the older version. I did find any other way of forcing an update than using the Clear History and Website Data button in settings. This causes a real issue because if you do this every time there is an update then it also removes your lists so you would have to sync / clear history / sync again, every time.

There has to be something that causes this behavior but I haven't managed to find out why yet. I tried different iPhones from 7 to X and all have this issue.

EDIT: I think I managed to fix the updating issue. With the changes I made, the iPhones seems up update the site to the current version after I close the page and reopen it. No amount of refresh spam seems to work though, but closing the page (using the tab icon at the bottom right of Safari to show tabs and close the tab), then reopening it and refreshing seems to force an update. This should allow you to update and get a working version. If this doesn't work, you can still try Clear History and Website Data and see if it works from there.
    I tried both and it still does not work. Still the same wheel shows up I showed you a while ago.
  • OK thanks for the report.

So it means I can rule out my hypothesis that it was because of an older version of the file that causes the problem.

It seems that, sometimes, seemingly randomly, one of the javascript files that is required for newrecruit to work is altered on iPhones. I just gave it a few more tries on my simulator, didn't have a problem on iPhone 8, I tried one iPhone XS Max, at first it worked. Then I cleared History and tried again, and now the file is bugged. It's truly baffling.

I can see the file downloaded by the iPhone, it looks almost exactly the same as the correct file, that is physically present on the server and retrieve by all other browsers, but there are a few differences for some unknown reasons. And obviously if you switch a few random characters in a code, it won't work at all. For example at the end of the file, there is :

// # sourceMappingURL=vendors.app.js.map

But on the iPhone, the file has the following :
    // # sourceMappangURL=vendors.app.jtomap

While this line is irrelevant, other parts of the file have random changes like this and break the code.

What the huck seriously, I've never seen anything so strange before.

I will look into it further to find a solution but this problem is so weird I don't even know where to start.

EDIT: I just tried disabling the source maps, the source maps are extra files that are used for debugging but shouldn't have any effect. Perhaps their presence disturbs iPhones, I have no idea but it might be a possibility. Now it seems to be working for me, but considering how randomly the problem pops up I am sure of nothing now. Could you try deleting the History, quitting Safari, possibly reboot the iPhone too to make sure (though I doubt this has any effect), and see if there is any change?

The post was edited 3 times, last by flammy` ().

• Hi, on iPhone and just tried the app for the first time in a couple of months. I think I’ve never even been to the /app page. All I got was a spinning circle, both in Safari and Firefox.

How long does it usually take to load it?
    Currently posting a lot of Dread Elf WIP pictures over at: MrMossevig's Painting League 2019 - The Year of the Dragon

My previous KoE project and complete army pictures: Army of Celeste
  • Tried downloading the source code of the page, here it is:
    Display Spoiler

Source Code

1. <head data-n-head="">
    2. <title data-n-head="true">New Recruit</title><meta data-n-head="true" charset="utf-8"><meta data-n-head="true" name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"><meta data-n-head="true" data-hid="description" name="description" content="New Recruit, the best army builder for T9A (the 9th age)"><meta data-n-head="true" name="theme-color" content="#fbf2da"><link data-n-head="true" rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="/favicon.ico"><link data-n-head="true" rel="manifest" href="/manifest.json"><link rel="preload" href="/_nuxt/app.runtime.js" as="script"><link rel="preload" href="/_nuxt/vendors.app.js" as="script"><link rel="preload" href="/_nuxt/app.js" as="script">
    3. </head>
    4. <body data-n-head="">
    5. <div id="__nuxt"><style>#nuxt-loading { visibility: hidden; opacity: 0; position: absolute; left: 0; right: 0; top: 0; bottom: 0; display: flex; justify-content: center; align-items: center; flex-direction: column; animation: nuxtLoadingIn 10s ease; -webkit-animation: nuxtLoadingIn 10s ease; animation-fill-mode: forwards; overflow: hidden;}@keyframes nuxtLoadingIn { 0% {visibility: hidden;opacity: 0; } 20% {visibility: visible;opacity: 0; } 100% {visibility: visible;opacity: 1; }}@-webkit-keyframes nuxtLoadingIn { 0% {visibility: hidden;opacity: 0; } 20% {visibility: visible;opacity: 0; } 100% {visibility: visible;opacity: 1; }}#nuxt-loading>div,#nuxt-loading>div:after { border-radius: 50%; width: 5rem; height: 5rem;}#nuxt-loading>div { font-size: 10px; position: relative; text-indent: -9999em; border: .5rem solid #F5F5F5; border-left: .5rem solid #fff; -webkit-transform: translateZ(0); -ms-transform: translateZ(0); transform: translateZ(0); -webkit-animation: nuxtLoading 1.1s infinite linear; animation: nuxtLoading 1.1s infinite linear;}#nuxt-loading.error>div { border-left: .5rem solid #ff4500; animation-duration: 5s;}@-webkit-keyframes nuxtLoading { 0% {-webkit-transform: rotate(0deg);transform: rotate(0deg); } 100% {-webkit-transform: rotate(360deg);transform: rotate(360deg); }}@keyframes nuxtLoading { 0% {-webkit-transform: rotate(0deg);transform: rotate(0deg); } 100% {-webkit-transform: rotate(360deg);transform: rotate(360deg); }}</style><script>window.addEventListener('error', function () { var e = document.getElementById('nuxt-loading'); if (e) e.className += ' error';});</script><div id="nuxt-loading" aria-live="polite" role="status" class=" error"><div>Loading...</div></div></div>
    6. <script type="text/javascript" src="/_nuxt/app.runtime.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="/_nuxt/vendors.app.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="/_nuxt/app.js"></script>
    7. </body>

Not sure if this helps, let me know if there’s anything else you want me to inspect.
    Currently posting a lot of Dread Elf WIP pictures over at: MrMossevig's Painting League 2019 - The Year of the Dragon

• It doesn't really help much unfortunately. The problem seems to come from this file :

newrecruit.eu/_nuxt/vendors.app.js

If I download this file from Safari (and possibly other browsers) on iOS I get a file that is slightly altered compared to what I get on every other browser, and compared to the file that is actually on the server. I have absolutly no idea why, some characters in the file seem to be seemingly swapped at random which generates errors.

It might have something to do with character encoding.
  • I tried one last thing for today. I disabled the zipping of files server side. Zipping files allows you to load websites faster, files are zipped before they are sent to your browser and then your browser unzips the file. I am making the hypothesis that something goes wrong with the unzipping, perhaps my server zips the file in a format that iOS cannot unzip properly.

Not sure if this will work though, I'll get back to it tomorrow.
  • flammy` wrote:

I tried one last thing for today. I disabled the zipping of files server side. Zipping files allows you to load websites faster, files are zipped before they are sent to your browser and then your browser unzips the file. I am making the hypothesis that something goes wrong with the unzipping, perhaps my server zips the file in a format that iOS cannot unzip properly.

Not sure if this will work though, I'll get back to it tomorrow.
    It works now. Takes slightly longer to load, but it works!!! Ha we got it!
  • Congrats on finding the problem, I know how much satisfaction can come from such a thing :)

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
  • Works now! Tested in FF on iPhone.

Known bug that it sometimes doesn’t show the denominator in the category sums and rather multiplies the point value by 10?

• 4346A088-EADC-4F5D-AFC3-9A81FE1ADCD0.jpeg
    At my side it’s more often than not like this, rather than the normal fractions (that I’ve only seen a couple of times).