The English Championships 2019 - 13&14 april, stockport

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• The Kremlin wrote:

able 30: Felix Newman v Fabrice Babnik

Ooh, a Babnik! On KoE no less, and playing the new friendly face of the England team, Felix.

Not sure the EoS have any easy answers to the Forlorn, bar… hmmm, can buffed halberds with battle focus and hatred take Forlorn? Or distracting imperial guard? My instinct is to say no, even if the Trebs don’t weaken them. That said, if the Forlorn push up, the rest of the KOE army is relatively vulnerable, so it could end up a small result.

I think I’ll call a small win to Babnik.
      My trebuchets are named
      "Les deux sœurs du désastre, Eugénie et Marguerite"

They are like crazy girl friends who just found a suspicious sms in your phone
      Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville (FBJ)
      6 Nations 2014 Winner. French DE player
      ETC 2016 & 2017. Luxembourg coach. 2018 & 2019 Norway coach.True Norses go to Valhalla!
      Chairman ETC2018

European Masters League, the most exciting event! Check this europeanmastersleague.com/
    • Babnik Kalenina wrote:

The Kremlin wrote:

Ooh, a Babnik! On KoE no less, and playing the new friendly face of the England team, Felix.

Not sure the EoS have any easy answers to the Forlorn, bar… hmmm, can buffed halberds with battle focus and hatred take Forlorn? Or distracting imperial guard? My instinct is to say no, even if the Trebs don’t weaken them. That said, if the Forlorn push up, the rest of the KOE army is relatively vulnerable, so it could end up a small result.

My trebuchets are named"Les deux sœurs du désastre, Eugénie et Marguerite"

Little does this Frenchman know that I plan to show Eugénie and Marguerite my baguette on Friday night.... hopefully they will be too tired to play on Saturday.
      Team Wales ETC 2017 - Beast Herds
      Team Scotland ETC 2018 (Captain) - Beast Herds
      Team England ETC 2019 - Empire
    • Fthunder wrote:

Babnik Kalenina wrote:

Little does this Frenchman know that I plan to show Eugénie and Marguerite my baguette on Friday night.... hopefully they will be too tired to play on Saturday.

Lord of the Hobby

The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
    • Fthunder wrote:

Babnik Kalenina wrote:

The Kremlin wrote:

every time there's an English dude blessed enough to have a french princess in medieval time, he ends up badly...

ETC 2016 & 2017. Luxembourg coach. 2018 & 2019 Norway coach.True Norses go to Valhalla!
      Chairman ETC2018

European Masters League, the most exciting event! Check this europeanmastersleague.com/
    • Table 31: Josh Burns v Philip Andrews

Aha, a Wood Elf player that hasn’t caught blocks… Versus someone who has named their characters. To be fair, stereotypes aside, it’s a pretty solid OnG list. SE tend to like none of Shamanism, git launchers, or chariots. I think I’m minded to call an OnG victory here.

Small win to Philip.

Table 32: Diego Francisco v Kevin Stonebanks

Diego has brought… square brackets. Quite a lot of them. Also a Daemon army. With two Omens, always tasty despite the new higher price, and some of the present bentness Bloat Flies as well. It does feel tiny – perhaps Omens are now just too costly to run two? I guess we shall see… Kevin rocks up with Warriors, and seems to have caught the European craze for Envy. Also a tiny army, anyone would think we’re playing a skirmish game. My instinct is to favour the Daemons here, their toys just feel more capable. I could be wrong though.

Small, bloody win to Diego.

Table 33: Matt Champion vs Luke Tranter

More interesting formatting here. And then some SE with a bunch of mobile units and a pair of binding scrolls. Shapeshifter general is brave. Matt is facing the Banter himself, with surprisingly few Razorgor, but overall a well balanced, fast, hard hitting list with a lot of vanguard. I quite like his latest build, having played it recently, and expect it to perform well.

I reckon the BH are very much the favourite here – they’ve got a lot of tools to pressure the SE, between the vanguards and Dark Rain, and pretty much match the more fragile SE for charge range.

Medium win to Luke.

Table 34: Andy Catlow v David Johnson

Andy has brought a list he has been using for a while, fairly classic hybrid-stompy UD with the Shabti Archers to give the army some reach. Less popular as an approach in the UK these days, but it still has power for sure. Could be very solid in this matchup – Deej’s organ guns won’t like it. Deej, speaking of the sexiest man alive, has a rather cool DH build with 2x8 hold guardians, a block, lots of light support units and a pair of organ guns. I definitely respect the build.

Sadly, I reckon Andy will probably run the DH over, as without magic the DH lack staying power to fight the UD who do get buffs; and the organ guns are vulnerable to the UD.

Big win to Andy, poor Deej

Table 35: Mo vs Craig

Mo tells Craig to “play better” until Craig loses his rag and goes to jail for attempted murder. Next.

More seriously, Mo has a pretty solid SA block plus cloud list – I don’t rate vet over warlord personally, but that’s a taste thing (I’ve had endless arguments with teammates about this – a unit in the cowboy role has to be more reliable than a scarvet, you need the warlord to reduce the swing factor in engagements). Craig has a list I am very fond of indeed, based off the Danish list from WTC but with Craig’s own special sauce added. Very capable in the right matchups, and able to play very flexibly, but I worry about its ability to dent the Temple Guard in particular.

I expect this game to go small either way. On balance I’ll give it to Mo because it’ll wind Craig up.
    • Table 36: Andreas v Ciaran Dunne

Once again I seem to have missed the blunderbuss memo. At least this list has one bolt thrower! Getting there. That aside, looks like a solid list. Can it stop Ciaran’s rats? My first instinct is no, but looking at it, there’s quite a lot of stuff that is resilient to the VS tricks. I think I still back the VS on the basis of the Pendulum, but it’s going to be a close run thing.

Small win to Ciaran.

Table 37: Kevin Weaver v James McCormick

Nassssssty VS… I mean 3x14 disciples, dreadmills and a pendulum, certainly has the tools to succeed. Patriarch as the General is unusual. Facing him are some pleasingly stompy Ogres, with a scrapapult which must seem a prescient choice given this draw. Both armies have the ability to badly hurt the other – I’ll call the engagement in the favour of the VS, but it could be bloody along the way.

Small to medium win to Kev.

Table 38: James McDonnell v Steven Dorning

Oh no, we’re back at ID with no bolt throwers… The bull and kadim air force at least makes up for it a bit. It’s quite an elegant list actually, less of the toys than some of the other ID in favour of more stuff. I like. He will be facing a very cool Orc list with multiple boar units – pleasingly aggressive, should look cool on the table.

On balance I think the ID have the tools to carry this one out, not sure the Orcs like Kadim Incarnates, or the Bull, or blunderbuss fire.

Solid win to James

Table 39: Jack Austin v Peter Bedson

Jack has seasoned his UD filth with catapults – other than that, it has all the conventional tools, so ought to be good for running over people. Against him, Peter is bringing KoE – an army that often does well against UD, due to a tendency to apply enough damage at a point to overwhelm the UD healing and grinding ability. Some finesse to the matchup – the KoE need to threaten multiple units, the UD need to try to avoid this and concentrate buffs on the likely point of contact. In this case, the Might Hippo needs to ensure it engages alongside something with a champion.

Win to Peter, I think, here.

Table 40: Edward Murdoch v Guiem

I love the concept of Titanic Might on a Goblin character. I dunno why, it just tickles me. Otherwise, this is a cloud of grenades and hitty mobile stuff surrounding a Feral Orc brick, and the concept works for a reason. Guiem has brought a crunchy looking MMU Daemon list, lots of damage output with some high quality support units. I like the agility-boosted piercing spike Myrmidons. I suspect Daemons are actually pretty susceptible to grenade damage from the OnG, so this game ought to be carnage. I reckon Guiem’s list just fights harder at the end of it though.

Small to medium, bloody win to Guiem.
    • The Kremlin wrote:

Table 36: Andreas v Ciaran Dunne

Once again I seem to have missed the blunderbuss memo. At least this list has one bolt thrower! Getting there. That aside, looks like a solid list. Can it stop Ciaran’s rats? My first instinct is no, but looking at it, there’s quite a lot of stuff that is resilient to the VS tricks. I think I still back the VS on the basis of the Pendulum, but it’s going to be a close run thing.

Small win to Ciaran.
      Tricks! I have no tricks, surely you wouldn’t deny an old rat his walking stick?
      ETC Team Ireland Skaven player 2009-2015
      ETC Team USA Mercenary 2016
      ETC Team Ireland Vermin Swarm player 2017-2019
      If we weren't meant to eat animals they wouldn't be made of food.
    • The Kremlin wrote:

Babnik Kalenina wrote:

Hello,
      Unless the orga allows me to use a female elfe figure (dressed in white) as damsel
      Anyone could lend me a Damsel on foot?
      Thanks!!!
      I have one. Remind me to pack her.
      Hello Kremlin,
      Kind reminder for the damsel on foot
      Merci
      Chairman ETC2018

• Babnik Kalenina wrote:

The Kremlin wrote:

Babnik Kalenina wrote:

Hello,
      Unless the orga allows me to use a female elfe figure (dressed in white) as damsel
      Anyone could lend me a Damsel on foot?
      Thanks!!!
      I have one. Remind me to pack her.
      Hello Kremlin,Kind reminder for the damsel on foot
      Merci
      I will pack one as well in case he forgets............................ My icon is my general so if Jake forgets look for the KoE army with the hippo general and i will have a damsel on foot with me
    • Table 41: Mark Greensill v David A Pocs

Mark bringing an off-meta choice as usual. 11 raptor riders! His army seems tiny – very few soft points, but also little in the way of chaff. I suppose he is relying on scary magic plus capable combat elements to mean he doesn’t need any. We’ll see if it pays off. He has drawn a pretty tasty twin-towers VS army, which in my experience can be problematic for the SA – the reach and concentrated damage output is painful. As always, if the Wheels get cleared quickly things are a lot easier for the lizards.

I’ll predict a small win to David, nonetheless.

Table 42: Daniel Williamson v Matthew Waddington

Wow, double Wizard Master and some solid blocks… Perhaps slightly short on moving parts, but could hold its points very well if played cautiously. The VC have a cool flying Monster Hunter build that I approve of, a selection of more traditional elements, and a big brick of Spawn. I might actually call this for the HBE – more ranged output and the high Agi can bother the relatively fragile VC hitty units.

Small win to Daniel

Table 43: Wes Wheeler v Gary Quirk

Wow, but that’s an expensive Dwarf…

I slightly worry that this DH list will be a little too inflexible, but some armies will greatly struggle to get points out of it. The Strigoi VC wall is normally a savage combat build if it chooses to engage, but even it might worry here – but then, the VC player can take almost no risks in the game and come out with a win, so that’s what I predict.

Small win to Gary.

Table 44: Drew Eyre v Alejandro

BSB on a Monstrous Rat? Spicy choice! Otherwise the VS build is pretty conventional and pretty tasty. The DL list from Alejandro is interesting, I rate the large Hope Harvesters and the Fly-ministar could scare people. It’s more mobile than most DL lists at the event, at least in a lateral rather than a forward direction (often more important), and the magic output is savage.

I’m going to back the DL here just because I like the slightly off-meta build, and that often correlates with someone playing well. Win to Alejandro.