Universal Battle

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• Universal Battle

Hey,
      I'm having kind of a hard time finding regular games around here so I wondered whether Universal Battle would provide an alternative. Is there a regular community of players and how do you get in touch with them? How are matches scheduled and how long do they usually take? It would be great if somebody could provide me with some information here. Thanks!
    • hey there subspace,

Vienna is home to two of the mightiest guys in the project (Sir_Joker and Thorsen), you might want to check with them and see if they have any good advice. otherwise, for games on UB2, you have several alternatives, including:

- create a game room called "T9A anyone?" and see if anyone jumps in
      - leave a message on the T9A forum chat, on the UB section of this forum, or on the UB facebook group and the UB forum
      - join one of the ongoing leagues (this one is competitive and structured, this one is beginner-friendly and relaxed)
      - PM people you regularly see playing (if you only do it once, it's not stalking), and ask for a game

duration of matches depends on player skill (with the rules and with UB) and game specifics.
      i play the QuickStarter version, and against competent players a game only takes one hour.
      i'd be delighted to show you the ropes, if you're interested in the QS.
      if you only play the full rules, i wish you best of luck in finding (and smiting) opponents!

cheers,
      f

• Hey and thanks for the quick and detailed response. I am already in touch with the Vienna crowd but currently there just isn't the kind of regular activity going on, that I am looking for.
      Incidentially I did a forum search on "Universal Battle" but I think didn't find the any results from subforums because everyone refers to it as "UB".Well, thanks to you I did manage to locate it and it seems like the shifting tides tournament is just what I'm looking for - just have to hope for consecutive tournaments.
      Thanks for offering to introduce me to the QS-Version btw. but I'm mainly focusing on the main version right now.

Alright, so let's see how this UB-software actually works...
      kind regards
    • You can always find people in UB searching for a game. There are usually rooms called T9A 4.5k, or T9A anyone, names like that. You can just get in the room, and if there is no game already, ask for playing. Or create a room with one of those names, and wait until someone comes. Or get in any room with people and ask if anyone wants to play, but try not to fill up the chat too much, there is people playing in there.

For the game duration, you should get used to the UB mechanics. At the beginning can be a bit tedious, and you may loose some time just trying to move your units how you want. But once you get it, games can last almost like a 'tabletop' game, or even less. Also, if you plan to play unscheduled games, it is good if you have already your army saved and prepared, so you can put it on the table with two clicks. I think you may need a pay account for that (but it is not that expensive if you use it enough)

And regarding the crippling Rides tournament, you should spect a new edition starting by the end of the month. Keep track of it, because list submitting will be before that!

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

Marathon Finisher :D

Follow me on IG: @fordyewemust
      I accept painting commissions. If you want me paint something for you, just PM!
      Seriously, a blog? In this century? For Dice We Must
    • Hmm

I've been puzzling around, and I definitely need a good quickguide and/or FAQ. Can anyone link me to some?

So far:

1. How do I properly embed War Platforms and Characters in units? They don't seem to properly displace models, and I seem to have to reorganize the unit manually one model at a time

2. How do I measure distances? The Meters buttons is filled with unlabeled meters and I can't seem to find to find any that'll actually help measure distances between say.. two units

3. How do I increase units (if I raise up models) and how do I delete? So far I can only delete one model (including "Are you sure" popup each time)

4. I seem to continually manage to grab individual models from a unit. How to avoid that?
    • Wesser wrote:

Hmm

I've been puzzling around, and I definitely need a good quickguide and/or FAQ. Can anyone link me to some?

Display Spoiler

those were made for QuickStarter players, but they should still be useful as UB introductions

So far:

1. How do I properly embed War Platforms and Characters in units? They don't seem to properly displace models, and I seem to have to reorganize the unit manually one model at a time

2. How do I measure distances? The Meters buttons is filled with unlabeled meters and I can't seem to find to find any that'll actually help measure distances between say.. two units

Display Spoiler

i suggest you just click on the "Line of Sight" button (in the right part of the bottom bar), then on the unit or model, and count the "yard lines"

3. How do I increase units (if I raise up models) and how do I delete? So far I can only delete one model (including "Are you sure" popup each time)

4. I seem to continually manage to grab individual models from a unit. How to avoid that?

Display Spoiler

see if the U-shaped button next to "Lock axes" and "Line of Sight" is of any help.
      when you (de)activate it, clicking on one individual model simply selects/moves the unit

• 1. As you are doing, one at a time. Chars is usually no problem, since it is only one guy. Then you should chain the char or platform to the unit, so they move together.

2. There are rulers with numbers, and the extensible stick thing. You measure with those. It is just getting used to it. Also, it is useful to block X and y when moving units. That way you just wheel and move to the front without worrying. Activate the logs to add what the unit is moving. I usually move without using rulers at all, and just keep the extensible thing to measure things every once in a while

3. To raise you need to create new units and then place them in position one by one. Remember to chain them to the unit. To delete several models, place them together and select them at the same time (make a square around). Then select delete and confirm the pop-up. I assure you the pop-up is really useful, since deleting full units by mistake may ruin a full game.

4. Don't really follow. Don't pick individual models. Select and move units using the green half circle in their back. If you misclick you can also undo in any way.

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• Wesser wrote:

8<

8<

8<

1. sadly there's no "snap to grid" option. i suggest you just place the platform on top of other models and then use the "chain" button (then click the unit rectangle) to lock the dude to the unit.

3. sadly there's no "add model" button. i suggest you create an additional unit at the beginning of the game and place it to the side of the table. then you simply add one or more models. to select more than one model at a time (either for mass raising or mass deleting) you can do a box selection, but sadly this only works when the zoom is at the smallest level possible (i.e. whole battlefield).

• you can check distances by clicking on individual models (if you activate the "unit tab" button), it takes very little time.
      you can also rotate a model on the spot with line of sight activated and check all units within X".
      but you can also use one of the three meter types (stick, measured and special).

• If you get a pro account, you can search in the database for all the tokens created by all users

There is easy to find almost everything you may need: every unit, marker, spell, map, etc. Most likely you are not the first one needing that marker, so you may find it in there

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• piteglio wrote:

you can check distances by clicking on individual models (if you activate the "unit tab" button), it takes very little time.
      you can also rotate a model on the spot with line of sight activated and check all units within X".
      but you can also use one of the three meter types (stick, measured and special).
      Try as I might... I cant figure out how you do that?
    • Wesser wrote:

piteglio wrote:

you can check distances by clicking on individual models (if you activate the "unit tab" button), it takes very little time.
      If there above directions do not work, update your download. New features added in recently

Find me on Twitter! - twitter.com/SkavenInAZ
    • Wesser wrote:

piteglio wrote:

there's a chance i cover that topic by performing those operations in the third video i linked above (the 7-minutes one)

• piteglio wrote:

Wesser wrote:

piteglio wrote:

there's a chance i cover that topic by performing those operations in the third video i linked above (the 7-minutes one)
      Yea, you check range with LOS tool.

What I struggle with is more when you have to consider multiple longer ranges at once… such as when checking ranges on archers.. dunno maybe I need to get used to it
    • welcome on board!
      im available if you wanna play a QuickStarter game.
      even if you don't like the format, it might be good for your first UB game - last i played was only 1h long.
      then once you're familiar with the interface you can move to bigger games without focussing on UB anymore.