Youngseward’s Adventures in Beardliness and Miscellanea

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

    Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

    • Youngseward’s Adventures in Beardliness and Miscellanea

      Hi guys, Im looking at running this list:

      Display Spoiler

      King on Warthrone w Shield, Ancestral Memory, Rune of Destruction, Rune of Might x 2, Rune of Readiness and Rune of Shielding - 775

      Runic Smith w Shield and Rune of Devouring - 245

      Thane BSB w Shield, Rune of Iron x 2, Rune of the Forge and Rune of Denial - 330

      29 Clan Warrior w Spears, Shields, Full Command and Rending Banner - 559

      20 Greybeards w Shields, Full Command and Banner of the Hold - 510

      14 Greybeards w Shields - 283

      21 Kingsguard w Musician and Champion - 512

      12 Miners w Pistols, Shields and Champion - 309

      12 Rangers w Crossbows and Shield - 273

      14 Seekers - 299

      Vengeance Seeker - 130

      Vengeance Seeker - 130

      Rune Crafted Ballista - 145

      4500


      So really Im not looking for much list advice - Im using the models I like more than anything else. But suggestions still absolutely welcome.

      Really Im keen on any advice on how to play this style of list tactically.

      My basic idea is to try to be able to set up the units so that they can all support eachother with countercharges. Ld10, bsb and shields on a lot of the units means theyll often be able to hold, but small sizes means they’ll probably lose the grind.

      Rune of Readiness on King is to try to get the Kingsguard to start 5 wide but maximise to opponents that charge them to utilise the 2 attacks.

      Runesmith hangs in Clan Warriors.

      Vengeance Seekers are my chaff/redirectors because I dont like having copters (machines dont fit my idea of fantasy tbh)

      As always, @Herminard #ratemybattleline
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • As you say your list and I have no problem with any player using figures they want to use.

      imho you do not have enough firepower to stand off so I can only suggest a gradual army wide advance to bring your CC units into contact.
      However, without breaking up your unit choices I would make some changes.

      With the RS in the Spear unit the rending banner appears to be an overkill. Save 45pts

      Banner of the Hold is a complete waste in a 20 fig unit, Save 35pts

      The 14 fig Seekers will be target for tonight, So I would consider dropping them to 10 but give them Skirmish, to give them some protection and also give them Vanguard to reduce exposure time. This way they can use the Skirmish and Vanguard to support your Rangers and be a threat from the 1st turn. Saves 34pts

      Reduce Miners to a unit of 10 with Musician instead of champion saves 44pts
      Total saving 158pts

      Spend
      32pts Giving Rangers a Musician and add TWs.
      81pts adding 3 extra Kings Guard.
      This leaves you with 45pts to spend, would consider exchanging 1 of the Kings Runes of might for a Rune of Fury saves 10pts
      Meaning you can add Rune of Dragons Breath 55 pts to the RS to boost the CC performance of the Spear unit.
    • wombat wrote:

      As you say your list and I have no problem with any player using figures they want to use.

      imho you do not have enough firepower to stand off so I can only suggest a gradual army wide advance to bring your CC units into contact.
      However, without breaking up your unit choices I would make some changes.

      With the RS in the Spear unit the rending banner appears to be an overkill. Save 45pts

      Banner of the Hold is a complete waste in a 20 fig unit, Save 35pts

      The 14 fig Seekers will be target for tonight, So I would consider dropping them to 10 but give them Skirmish, to give them some protection and also give them Vanguard to reduce exposure time. This way they can use the Skirmish and Vanguard to support your Rangers and be a threat from the 1st turn. Saves 34pts

      Reduce Miners to a unit of 10 with Musician instead of champion saves 44pts
      Total saving 158pts

      Spend
      32pts Giving Rangers a Musician and add TWs.
      81pts adding 3 extra Kings Guard.
      This leaves you with 45pts to spend, would consider exchanging 1 of the Kings Runes of might for a Rune of Fury saves 10pts
      Meaning you can add Rune of Dragons Breath 55 pts to the RS to boost the CC performance of the Spear unit.
      All you’re saying makes sense. The champion in the miners is purely there because one of those models looks a bit sicker than the others so I owe him the promotion ;) .

      I do like the rending banner on speardwarves though. I feel like ap3 is a can opener when paired with s6 wounding capability, but when you get less wounds through ap4 is probably needed. It may be a luxury but Id like to at least try it out in a few games.

      Why do you rate throwing weapons on Rangers? I feel the crossbows are just superior since they’re not skirmishing so they wont be moving about much.
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • youngseward wrote:

      The champion in the miners is purely there because one of those models looks a bit sicker than the others so I owe him the promotion .
      Fair enough.

      youngseward wrote:

      I do like the rending banner on speardwarves though. I feel like ap3 is a can opener when paired with s6 wounding capability, but when you get less wounds through ap4 is probably needed. It may be a luxury but Id like to at least try it out in a few games.
      With Rune Smith you are AP3 first round on both offence and defence, which should be enough on most occasions. The fall short to AP4 is offset by the addition of the Rune of Dragons Breath. Try both and find out which suits you best.

      youngseward wrote:

      Why do you rate throwing weapons on Rangers? I feel the crossbows are just superior since they’re not skirmishing so they wont be moving about much.
      I find that having both Crossbows and TWs is the best build. Scout to good position and use crossbows is by far best option. However if flanked by say fast Cav the ability to quick reform due to musician, move and have 24 Aim 4 Stgh 3 Quick to fire shots can absolutely ruin a fast cav unit. Even when faced by T6 or higher Units you are also much better to use the TWs due to the number of shots. At an extra cost of 1 pt each. Bargain.
    • youngseward wrote:

      Hi guys, Im looking at running this list:

      Display Spoiler

      King on Warthrone w Shield, Ancestral Memory, Rune of Destruction, Rune of Might x 2, Rune of Readiness and Rune of Shielding - 775

      Runic Smith w Shield and Rune of Devouring - 245

      Thane BSB w Shield, Rune of Iron x 2, Rune of the Forge and Rune of Denial - 330

      29 Clan Warrior w Spears, Shields, Full Command and Rending Banner - 559

      20 Greybeards w Shields, Full Command and Banner of the Hold - 510

      14 Greybeards w Shields - 283

      21 Kingsguard w Musician and Champion - 512

      12 Miners w Pistols, Shields and Champion - 309

      12 Rangers w Crossbows and Shield - 273

      14 Seekers - 299

      Vengeance Seeker - 130

      Vengeance Seeker - 130

      Rune Crafted Ballista - 145

      4500


      So really Im not looking for much list advice - Im using the models I like more than anything else. But suggestions still absolutely welcome.

      Really Im keen on any advice on how to play this style of list tactically.

      My basic idea is to try to be able to set up the units so that they can all support eachother with countercharges. Ld10, bsb and shields on a lot of the units means theyll often be able to hold, but small sizes means they’ll probably lose the grind.

      Rune of Readiness on King is to try to get the Kingsguard to start 5 wide but maximise to opponents that charge them to utilise the 2 attacks.

      Runesmith hangs in Clan Warriors.

      Vengeance Seekers are my chaff/redirectors because I dont like having copters (machines dont fit my idea of fantasy tbh)

      As always, @Herminard #ratemybattleline
      The Savage Sage of the Norse rates this Battle Line;
      Display Spoiler
      77 - This is a legit Battle Line, and it has gone out of its way to make it clear to the opponent where battles will be found and where the line is drawn. It also gets sexxy & creative scores for unusual & hmthatmightwork constellations and applications.

      The King
      is leaning into being a heroic figure that relegates his nearby peers into a cheering entourage.

      Due to their hypermobility - the Vengeance Seekers are not Battle Line elements, even if they greatly help the rest of the Battle Line play as just that.

      The Ballistae is also not a Battle Line element per sé. Even if it is very slow it has 360 degrees of movement and cannot charge.

      Imagine you had 5 warmachines and protected them with just blocks. Thats a Castle play, not a Battle Line play. So a line must be drawn with the initial instance of the auxiliary war macine - even if it is _just_ there to incentivize engagement with yer Battle Line instead of dancing around it in a fashion that is rewarding to just one of the two involved - sort of like how selfpleasing equates to sex.

      Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
      Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
      Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

      Do not fall to the folly of the best laid of plans - for the mind of man is fickle in the face of the dice gods.
      Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when dice fall in malicious ways.
    • wombat wrote:


      youngseward wrote:

      Why do you rate throwing weapons on Rangers? I feel the crossbows are just superior since they’re not skirmishing so they wont be moving about much.
      I find that having both Crossbows and TWs is the best build. Scout to good position and use crossbows is by far best option. However if flanked by say fast Cav the ability to quick reform due to musician, move and have 24 Aim 4 Stgh 3 Quick to fire shots can absolutely ruin a fast cav unit. Even when faced by T6 or higher Units you are also much better to use the TWs due to the number of shots. At an extra cost of 1 pt each. Bargain.
      Thats a good point and at 1ppm there’s really no reason not to try it. Thanks for the suggestion wombat.
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • Herminard wrote:


      The King is leaning into being a heroic figure that relegates his nearby peers into a cheering entourage.

      Due to their hypermobility - the Vengeance Seekers are not Battle Line elements, even if they greatly help the rest of the Battle Line play as just that.

      The Ballistae is also not a Battle Line element per sé. Even if it is very slow it has 360 degrees of movement and cannot charge.

      Well seeing as my elephant riding dwarf isn’t going anywhere... I pose to you the challenge/request:
      Given the king on warthrone can you make a build that makes him fit into the battleline style? Must include Rune of Readiness. Bonus points if your build opens up/develops previously unavailable/underdeveloped tactical possibilities.

      I didn’t particularly want a super character, and in fact my Rune of Readiness plan would work better I believe with Runesmith general in the KG, but elephant man must be honoured with the crown.

      Does chaff in general fit the battleline style? And if so, is there another non copter and non VS option you see in the DH book? I doubt Ill forego the VS because they’re two of my very favourite models, but Im very curious. The only other option I can think of is on foot thane kept cheap.

      Ballista is there because its scratchbuilt and makes me happy. It will hopefully warn my opponents monsters away from a flank or something, but its definitely not enough to allow castle play or anything. Also, I would never castle. I storm castles. Inhabiting them is for children and old men who have lost the taste for war.
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • youngseward wrote:

      Herminard wrote:

      The King is leaning into being a heroic figure that relegates his nearby peers into a cheering entourage.

      Due to their hypermobility - the Vengeance Seekers are not Battle Line elements, even if they greatly help the rest of the Battle Line play as just that.

      The Ballistae is also not a Battle Line element per sé. Even if it is very slow it has 360 degrees of movement and cannot charge.

      Well seeing as my elephant riding dwarf isn’t going anywhere... I pose to you the challenge/request:Given the king on warthrone can you make a build that makes him fit into the battleline style? Must include Rune of Readiness. Bonus points if your build opens up/develops previously unavailable/underdeveloped tactical possibilities.

      I didn’t particularly want a super character, and in fact my Rune of Readiness plan would work better I believe with Runesmith general in the KG, but elephant man must be honoured with the crown.

      Does chaff in general fit the battleline style? And if so, is there another non copter and non VS option you see in the DH book? I doubt Ill forego the VS because they’re two of my very favourite models, but Im very curious. The only other option I can think of is on foot thane kept cheap.

      Ballista is there because its scratchbuilt and makes me happy. It will hopefully warn my opponents monsters away from a flank or something, but its definitely not enough to allow castle play or anything. Also, I would never castle. I storm castles. Inhabiting them is for children and old men who have lost the taste for war.

      I will think about it... its a similar problem to the one DanT (not summoning out of respect that he doesnt want to spend too much time in the public forums) faced with his ID Onyx Core Overlord.

      - He is very good at what he does
      - There are not a great deal of alternative builds for him once you drop the Onyx Core.

      How this could possibly be true for the Dwarves that have such a plethora of choice from their Runic armouries is beyond me, possibly is it just habitus and I and dead wrong in my assumption...

      I accept the challenge :)

      ...

      Classic Chaff are not components of a Battle Line (because of their hypermobility) - even if they enhance the capability of the Battle Line to play as one in a variety of situations (this is why I rate even my most Battle Line oriented TVI lower than yer score of 77). Heavy support units are on the other hand very much components of a Battle Line.

      I understand that playing an evasive style with 2 Vengeance Seekers makes little sense - but swapping them for a small or medium sized unit of Dwarves would make the list a more clear Battle Line. The tactical implications would ofc be that you would need to play layered formations and play risky positions - incidently those games can also be a real blast to face for a prepared opponent :)

      ...

      I understand fairly well how you are going to use the Ballista. Its a neat tactic that @SmithF used extensively with a single cannon back when he played EoS (this is 8th ed material so sadly the well written tales have been lost in the warp). It was never a Castle playstyle, and I have hopefully not argued that it is anything but a means to make the enemy more eager to fight yer Battle Line. I will however argue that it is not Battle Line _purist_ to the level that the Savage Spartans almost achieves - because that would leave a logical loop to exploit for Castles to dress themselves in the attire of the Battle Line.

      ...

      I did forget to mention that there is also a lesser docking of points for the Miners. As tale telling and awesome and useful as they are - they are not a component of a Battle Line.

      ....

      Now.. are 6 big bricks and nuffing else a Battle Line? Yes - but is not a very sexxy one.

      Also.. are Battle Lines the pinnacle of power in T9A? No - but not everything has to be an inch measuring contest.

      Skàll ye beautiful nerd,
      Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
      Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
      Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

      Do not fall to the folly of the best laid of plans - for the mind of man is fickle in the face of the dice gods.
      Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when dice fall in malicious ways.
    • So by shifting rune of denial from the bsb heres what I came up with:

      King with Great Weapon, Rune of Denial, Rune of Iron, Rune of Readiness and Rune of Resistance (probably still capable if a big character comes along to try to take his points, but less of a superman for the unit)

      Thane BSB with Rune of Iron x 2, Rune of the Forge and Runic Standard of Shielding (since he usually runs around on his own, hes a mobile 12” 5+ ward against shooting). Hes also got a pistol so if he ever comes across another BSB running solo I can stare down my opponents model and say “this town aint big enough for the both of us”
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • berti wrote:

      Why the small Grey beards?
      You spent enough from core already and a 15 man unit of kingsguard or deepwatch will propably be a better addition to the battle line.
      Honestly it’s because the spears and 20 GB only comes to 1069 and I cant/wont increase those units.

      I only have 29 speardwarves, and the 20 man GB unit is one of my few painted units - and theyre GW Ironbreakers, which I dont have more models of, so I dont want to break cohesion by adding extra bodies that look different.

      Otherwise yeah I would definitely turn the second unit into Deepwatch.

      Edit: Actually, now that you mention it, I could probably chuck TW on the clan warriors or somehhing to fill out core, then shuffle some points around to turn that second unit into Deep Watch. Ill give it a go.
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • Okay so without the chance to get any practice games in, this is the list Ive submitted to an upcoming tournament (Berti it turns out I do have a couple more ironbreakers so I could add to the greybeards, and chucked one random clan warrior model into the spear block):


      760 - King, General, Ancestral Memory, War Throne, Rune of Resistance, Rune of Iron, Great Weapon, Rune of Denial, Rune of Readiness

      320 - Thane, Battle Standard, Runic Standard of Shielding, Shield, 2 Rune of Iron, Rune of Forge

      245 - Runic Smith, Shield, Rune of Devouring

      575 - 30x Clan Warriors, Spears and Shields, Standard Bearer, Rending Banner, Musician, Champion

      554 - 22x Greybeards, Shields, Standard Bearer, Runic Standard of the Anvi, Musician, Champion

      485 - 20x King's Guard, Musician, Champion

      310 - 15x Deep Watch

      309 - 12x Miners, Pistols, Shields, Champion

      276 - 12x Rangers, Crossbows, Shields

      257 - 12x Seekers

      130 - Vengeance Seeker

      130 - Vengeance Seeker

      145 - Field Artillery, Dwarf Ballista, Rune Crafted

      4496


      Wombat after realising I needed a muso as well to make use of TW on the rangers, I decided that 32 points is probably too much to a unit that I dont plan on moving around much. I also want to subscribe to Herms battleline concept so the seekers dont have vanguard/skirmish - I need them to support the rest of my army and if they get shot oh well, they’re not as important as the other units.

      (Herm does this character set up upgrade my battleline rating?)
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • youngseward wrote:

      Wombat after realising I needed a muso as well to make use of TW on the rangers, I decided that 32 points is probably too much to a unit that I dont plan on moving around much. I also want to subscribe to Herms battleline concept so the seekers dont have vanguard/skirmish - I need them to support the rest of my army and if they get shot oh well, they’re not as important as the other units.
      Well, you certainly do have a battle line ! Herms will be proud of you and will no doubt give you a high score !

      For my taste, I believe that the list lacks mobility. Personally I would have cut the Seekers to 10 figs and given them Vanguard and Skirmish and also cut Rangers to 10 Figs but upgrade with TWs and Skirmish. Nett saving 6pts. That would mean you could change the Thanes Runes of Iron to Runes of Shielding and transfered the Rune of Forge to the RS. Plus change Miners Champion to a Musician.

      However, at the end of the day this is your list, not mine, and I can understand why you have made your choices. In the the long run your build might be better, the only why to find out is play a few games.

      All I can say is that I honestly hope you enjoy your games and wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:
    • wombat wrote:

      youngseward wrote:

      Wombat after realising I needed a muso as well to make use of TW on the rangers, I decided that 32 points is probably too much to a unit that I dont plan on moving around much. I also want to subscribe to Herms battleline concept so the seekers dont have vanguard/skirmish - I need them to support the rest of my army and if they get shot oh well, they’re not as important as the other units.
      Well, you certainly do have a battle line ! Herms will be proud of you and will no doubt give you a high score !
      For my taste, I believe that the list lacks mobility. Personally I would have cut the Seekers to 10 figs and given them Vanguard and Skirmish and also cut Rangers to 10 Figs but upgrade with TWs and Skirmish. Nett saving 6pts. That would mean you could change the Thanes Runes of Iron to Runes of Shielding and transfered the Rune of Forge to the RS. Plus change Miners Champion to a Musician.

      However, at the end of the day this is your list, not mine, and I can understand why you have made your choices. In the the long run your build might be better, the only why to find out is play a few games.

      All I can say is that I honestly hope you enjoy your games and wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:
      Thanks mate. I think your changes make a stronger list, but Ive never been known for being sensible...
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • So Ill have two tournaments with this list (both lists subbed at the same time, on two consecutive weekends - a one dayer and a two dayer).

      Ill try to get some pictures for battle reports for my games, but the two dayer I may be getting into the ‘dwarven spirit’ so to speak... and not have the requisite memory to report...

      Ill also chuck up some photos of the army as I get it painted, but it wont be fully painted before either tournament
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018

      The post was edited 1 time, last by youngseward ().