Youngseward’s Adventures in Beardliness and Miscellanea

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• youngseward wrote:

@Bobo bring it on you dud. When I 20 you don’t go crying to your boyfriend @Herminard

How did you know I have been recieving promiscuous imagery for geriatric generic advice?
      Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
      Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
      Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

Do not fall to the folly of the best laid of plans - for the mind of man is fickle in the face of the dice gods.
      Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when dice fall in malicious ways.
    • youngseward wrote:

Horrid start. 20ed by Bobo, 20ed by the Dark Elves. Managed to eke out an 11-9 in the first army swap round.

16/16 heading into day two and Im trailing 15th by 9 BPs...

Tough bid mate. According to Clorens yer list is still OP - so just git gud and imagine better dicerolls.

Do not fall to the folly of the best laid of plans - for the mind of man is fickle in the face of the dice gods.
      Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when dice fall in malicious ways.
    • clorens wrote:

minos with great weapons is not op, with shields maybe

Who did great with them? Against what? In what field? I considered taking Minoes for this years ETC but didnt like their matchups. I never looked back once.

• clorens wrote:

Ask all the players who use them, you have a multitude to choose from
      Nah - its yer claim. You find me a small handfull of examples easy if yer claim has any substance, I would assume?

• I officially declare that my least valuable unit in my army are the mongrels with wild herd banner. They are there because I lack the models to field a second Wildhorn unit.

Also, whether the minotaurs have shields or paired weapons has so far played no role in t all in my games.

If you wait for a couple week I’ll hopefully have a tournament report to back my claim, mr Clorens.

Back on topic: there’s no way to go but up, @youngseward , lets go for a good day 2 performance! Thanks for the reporting so far!
    • @SmithF

They are a simple single slug shotgun. I have not included Wild Herd Mongrels in any of my lists - and I dont plan to.

I do play the 20s of them though and spears are a bit better than shields, but not enough that I would pay even a single point per model for it. The discrepancy increases with size though..

Maybe cut start cost from 140 to 120 and make spears cost 1 ppm?

The list that I fielded last would have been better with a unit of 20ish Wildhorns. But bunker duty only, sadly.

@clorens its is the argument of a snake to continually change angle and position. Now the inclusion of 11-12 minoes that "all" do is the issue. Tell me the average of Minoes per list from tourney 49: TNQ - swedish 3 man teams tournament?

@youngseward to be fair, I dont see yer jolly phatties list doing much better in this field.

With no ranged threat the Vermins can establish an upper hand position, and from there it can get quite painful.

The DE OccDragon can be quite the feat to catch, and yer list have none of the tools to do so.

Between BH and OK, probably an unjolly OK list would have been yer best best - but that would have left a shard of yer soul on yer shelf.

Chin up and roll on.

• @SmithF

They are a simple single slug shotgun. I have not included Wild Herd Mongrels in any of my lists - and I dont plan to.

I do play the 20s of them though and spears are a bit better than shields, but not enough that I would pay even a single point per model for it. The discrepancy increases with size though..

Maybe cut start cost from 140 to 120 and make spears cost 1 ppm?

The list that I fielded last would have been better with a unit of 20ish Wildhorns. But bunker duty only, sadly.

@clorens its is the argument of a snake to continually change angle and position. Now the inclusion of 11-12 minoes that "all" do is the issue. Tell me the average of Minoes per list from tourney 49: TNQ - swedish 3 man teams tournament?

@youngseward to be fair, I dont see yer jolly phatties list doing much better in this field.

With no ranged threat the Vermins can establish an upper hand position, and from there it can get quite painful.

The DE OccDragon can be quite the feat to catch, and yer list have none of the tools to do so.

Between BH and OK, probably an unjolly OK list would have been yer best best - but that would have left a shard of yer soul on yer shelf.

Chin up and roll on.

• you tell me about a tournament and I 40 ,Come on, you're going to deny me that the most used unit in all beast lists are the minos and that the most used core are the Mongrels.and that they put all who can fit
      tell me how many of these units were in the ETC

and it cannot be that the pairs cost the wildhorns 2p and the spears leave them at 1p when the latter are better or leave both at 1p or 2p
    • My apologies to @youngseward for not being able to keep my tounge in yer thread. Looking forward to your updates!

• clorens wrote:

you tell me about a tournament and I 40 ,Come on, you're going to deny me that the most used unit in all beast lists are the minos and that the most used core are the Mongrels.and that they put all who can fit
      tell me how many of these units were in the ETC

and it cannot be that the pairs cost the wildhorns 2p and the spears leave them at 1p when the latter are better or leave both at 1p or 2p
      First off, I have to say that I admire your passion for the Beast Herds. I'm new to the army, and it's nice to see someone who cares as deeply about the army as you do.

But the internet has a way of twisting the intentions, so that they come out all wrong on the other side of the screen. I've been following the BH discussion topics for a while now, and I notice that you've been suggesting to all of the new players (including me) to dump their initial approach and just invest in Mongrels with spears, Razortusk Beastlord, Gortachs and Minotaurs.

Netlists are called as such for a reason: they've done well and they probably stand out among the lot because they have few weaknesses and are (usually) quite straightforward to play. But suggesting that the only way forward is to use a netlist is not doing the community a service.
      For one, it deters new players from trying out new and cool things for themselves.

That doesn't mean that I disagree with some of your sentiments: Mongrels with spears ARE probably underpriced (or, more importantly, have access to a banner that they shouldn't have had in the first place). The combination of Battle Focus with rerolls to hit is probably the best combo of combat-oriented rules in the game, and giving it to a Ld9 monster might be too much.

HOWEVER:
      Many of the things that you personally consider bad, and that the majority of the tournament crowd consider subpar, are actually pretty decent. The game is at a point where the difference in power level between a bad choice and a good one is very close. So close, that player skill and in-game maneuvering can make up for it.

I've seen it before in all other army forums where I've been involved: to give an example from the DE, popular opinion is that Manticores, Blades of Nabh, Krakens and Medusas are all bad and the only way to play DE is by using the BSB on Altar along with an Oracle on Dragon. I have some tournament results that prove otherwise. It doesn't matter that 95% of the DE tournament players do not use these units, what matters is that by trying to make them work I figured out that the Internet was wrong.

TL;DR
      If you think you're always right, you're probably quite often wrong.

Ta

Smith
    • thank you, Do not believe, I would encourage everyone to try blocks of wildhorns, longhorns and pigs and see if they work or not, instead of automatically saying that they are fine but without using them.

but if a new player asks me for advice I will not advise those units when I think that spears and minos are better

you are right we should leave this thread free and move the discussion to the beasts forum, my apologies youngseward
    • Scraped back a little respectability on day two. A 3-17 loss in army swap, I had a DL army against KoE. I took it from a 10-10 to a 3-17 on the last turn trying to rush to get turn 5 in - I felt my turns had taken too long, and that turn 5 was potentially quite important to my opponent so not getting it would have been unfair. Unfortunately my rushing meant I made two really dumb choices that lost me a 1000 point general for literally no reason, and the objective.

Game 5 I got a 17-3 win with my Beasts over Scottys Orcs. This was a rude game where I basically just had a bigger stick and my opponent didn’t have a way to combat me. It really wasn’t a satisfying win since I did nothing clever, I won at listbuilding.

Game 6 was me against Chris’ Warriors. Game had many a wild swing, but the end result was a 10-10. A satisfying end to the weekend.

In all honesty, I probably wont do reports for this one. I could not do Game One justice as @Bobo operated on a level higher than my comprehension/ability, so I couldn’t explain how it was that a game I felt was so close until Turn 4 was routed in one turn. It wasn’t bad dice, I think Id just exhausted my ability to withstand being outmanoeuvred and outplayed.

Game two was just a boring instance of me taking models off too shooting and magic.

Games three and four are too confusing due to the army swap. I barely knew what I was doing in the games, Im hardly able to recount it now!

Game 5 was basically just my opponent playing well and getting combo charges and none of it mattering as I had the better list and was happy to win by objective - I didn’t care if he engaged me or not. Then he did and I took his models off.

Game 6 would be a decent report. But this list doesnt make me want to look into how I played a game and improve - I dont intend to continue running it - so theres little point in gettung into the nitty gritty of one game when both players were exhausted at the end of a tournament.

Btw @Herminard, I also dont think the ogres would have done better. They’re a weaker list that has more tactical variety. I think the Beasts were the right choice given its a very competitive environment and field, but the meta didnt pan out and I had too many bad matchups. All would be equally bad or worse for my ogres though.

The true value of the ogres lies in their provision of a tactically engaging game. I have options for what actions I can take, and can theoretically play into anything - if I outplay my opponents I have a chance. Whereas with my BH I can lose purely by not having the right tools.

Onto continued ogre adventures!
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018