Youngseward’s Adventures in Beardliness and Miscellanea

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• To be honest freeing up more points isn’t a huge issue, its more what to use those points for that is better than ballista/rune of Readiness when I refuse to use copters.

Potentially a thane for chaff, but that idea doesn’t tickle me like a nice small support block would - forge wardens would be perfect if I could see them doing anything of value...
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • Firthunands91 wrote:

So, I don't think you have that many options then... Second unit of rangers? Skirmi seekers? Bumping your current units?
      Yeah thats what Im thinking too. Was hoping the forums would come through with a hidden gem ;).

I was considering just a unit of 8 rangers w gw and tw. Or yeah beefing seekers or kg.
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • Clans Thunder list is not a problem and wont ever be for me unless I get a lot more shooting models...

I guess Ill be more informed on what I need after the tournament this weekend. Everything kind of just worked out for me the other day - once I get slapped back down to chump level I’ll be able to see the faults of the list overall better.
    • WarX wrote:

Actually there may be one nice usage for Forge Wardens - killing Daemons.

Most probably half of the army list will have R5, but second half will have R3.

Always hitting on 2+ means that SnS can evaporate a lot of models from DL army ;).
      10 Rangers w Crossbows are 212 pts

10 shots hitting on 4s, wounding on 3s and 5+ ward = 2.2 wounds

10 FW are 220 pts

10 shots hitting on 2s, wounding on 4s and 5+ ward = 2.8

Before factoring in cover.

And the FW are better in combat. You could be right. And overall against non armoured opponents which a lot of armies have some of they could be handy.

But the 21” effective range is a pretty big limitation.

Probably worth trying out though.

Good point!
    • youngseward wrote:

@SmithF I seem to remember you getting great use out of forge wardens? Was that pre redesign, post or a dream of mine?
      It was pre redesign, which is why I was such a strong supporter of a roll back to their v.1 profile: with 4+ armour, def5, 6++ aegis and a gun that could always stand and shoot without penalties, a unit of 18-20 was a staple in my lists.

I think that you can still make them work, in that they're a shooting unit that can also fight in close combat. But they won't be anywhere near their past effectiveness (or lack thereof, if you go by what the popular opinion was on the previous version).

On a side note, congratulations on the tournament win! I enjoyed these reports, and hope more will come in the future.
      Your king on throne looks great, too!
    • If you can shave off the points - I think a unit of 15 Kings Guards for 310 points is a monumental support piece.

Else I think a unit of Clan Marksmen (pref 12-14 models strong) would support yer line well.
      Both the 2 point shields and the 4 point GWs might be worth a try - though the GWs are more situational.

The Forge Wardens are best left guarding the embers while the rest of the Hold defend the Keep. Stellar example of a gelding redesign - both in situation and in result. Their 10% cost > Clan Marksmen does not reflect factual prowess as much as their fictional image. They _should_ be elite - so they are costed as elite.

I have much hope that with capable people like @Emgies steering the process of design - all units will eventually get meaningful roles :)

I am tickled pink that you have found fame and fun with yer list @youngseward.
      Perhaps you should investigate how you could best address the mental situation that almost lead you to castling up?
      What band should you have brought to boldly take yer battle line into the brunt of yer bitter bane bringers?

Skàll!
      Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
      Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
      Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

Do not fall to the folly of the best laid of plans - for the mind of man is fickle in the face of the dice gods.
      Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when dice fall in malicious ways.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Herminard ().

• @SmithF yeah I agree with all of that - I was hoping youd be swooping in with advice on how to best use the current version but alas I had misremembered your success. When I was having fun with the old ones, my modelling idea was actually to have two gw ironbreakers at the front of a 40mm base and a forge warden sat between and behind with his gun - I felt that was a good representation of their resilience and strong shooting. But with the current version it feels... undeserving of an inspiring hobby job somehow.

@Herminard unfortunately model restrictions neuter this capability. I have some gw clan warrior type models, but they dont fit as KG as the KG I already have are hammerers and much more grand in appearance - and I only have 24 so I cant even split the KG into two of 15. I could look into more models, but given the size of the painting task agead of me I would rather dedicate my efforts to readying my current forces first.

As to the castling. Its funny, all three of my games were fought in my half of the board - the first two I went second which was my preference (with the list and in general. I prefer black in chess and second in hammer as I find myself a better reactor than driver). All of my opponents were keen to bring the fight to me, and given the stubby legs of dwarves, they were well equipped to do so. So I did find that while I didnt castle, I wasn’t exactly the one pressing the clash - perhaps indicative that my list is not as good as battleline as we thought? Im not sure.

The third game was an interesting one. I faced two problems: a list that could swarm me, and a superior player. I will admit that I was tentative to drive boldly towards the centre when players like Simon traditionally use that as a chance to out maneouvre me and take my toys away. There was a definite “play not to lose” mentality because I have been burned to massive losses against good players before (probably a discussion for another day, but partly I imagine because I have been baptised with Beastmen and they are far less forgiving than dwarves - a mistep doesnt end in a grind, it ends in losing BIG points).

But even so I would say that my list is an honest attempt to bring battle to my opponent, and I could not do so against Simons 5 iron orcs, 4 gnasher herd and 3 savage blocks. If I were to allow my flanks to be exposed by deploying centrally, I would have no hope. Fighting those units head on was no simple task, let alone while allowing multi charges and flanks and the like. And frankly Im not sure there could be a dwarf list that fights that when deploying centrally. Possibly if I had maxed out copters for chaff I could have taken the risk, as they would have been able to delay while I punched holes in his line. But then I would be relying on them not being shot down by the 4 bolt throwers, and would be ~600 points less in terms of bodies on the field. But if he had for instance chosen the ruins in his corner for king of the hill, I would have been solely focussed on protecting my own because to defend and attack I would need to split my forces. Given the interdependence of my units, that would have ended in slaughter methinks.
    • So after an evening of diligent hobbying - I now have ALL my models on their nice corky bases and magnetised. Tomorrow brings a day off work to get stuck into getting at least some semblance of colour on all the lads so Im not as embarrassed placing them on the table - recruiting two of my mates to help with putting basecoats on so we may even squeeze into that minimum 3 colour painting points requirement. But in all honesty Im already pretty happy with the models for the moment, they look really nice even unpainted.

And I know my opponent for game one of this weekend's tourney... the scoundrel @KiRaHyuU! It will be a lot of fun to play Hugo as he is always a tough opponent and we havent played in a while so Im really looking forward to it. His list is:
      Daemon Legions – Hugo “two of nearly everything please” Chui
      510 – Omen of Savaar, General, Thaumaturgy, wizard adept, dominion of pride
      470 – Omen of Savaar, divination, wizard adept
      470 – Omen of Savaar, divination, wizard adept
      667 – 23x Lemures, Standard Bearer, Musician, Champion, chilling yawn
      230 – 10x Lemures, unnatural roots
      230 – 10x Lemures, unnatural roots
      468 – 4x Brazen Beasts, incendiary ichor
      468 – 4x Brazen Beasts, incendiary ichor
      330 – Blazing Glories, cloven hooves
      330 – Blazing Glories, cloven hooves
      160 – 5x Furies, kaleidoscopic flesh
      160 – 5x Furies, kaleidoscopic flesh

I won't give away any of my inclings on how to play it - knowing Hugo he will outwit them if I lose the aura of mystery that he says confuses him every time we play (the old "play the player not the game" mantra runs into trouble when your opponent is a lunatic). But I do think that the lists match up well - which is to say that they should combine to create a really compelling match where one player outfoxing the other will be the decisive factor, theres no blunt force object we will be able to ram down the others throat without worry.
    • Definitely looking forward to this game 1, Max is a great guy and in my mind one of the most underrated players in the field - I mean maybe not after he's most recent win.

I on the other have no issue about giving my thoughts ahead of the game because I ain't doing anything fancy...

So coming at it as a novice DL player, the obvious advantages I have over the Dwarves is my magic as well as the swiftstride movement. I'll definitely have to respect the Rune of Devouring, and when we do come to fight in the middle of the board, Star's Align is the spell I want to have in my back pocket, but that means do I leave it at home till then? Can't do since there's also a Rune of Denial also on the table. This means that the fights will come down to the wire, since i can't really rely on any buffs.

So really the ball is in Max's court, will he blow the Devouring early and shut down my range magic or will he save it for the combat?

DW --- i'll make sure pictures are taken :)
    • Alright guys, I doubt Ill be doing proper battlereps for that tournament. The passionate fire of doing really well isn’t there.

My game results were 6, 5, 0, 0 and 7. Took out the honour of the wooden spoon.

Ill write something of a report later, but the cliff notes are:
      • The list cannot handle monsters
      • The list is not quick nor mobile enough to function as a battleline that deploys centrally and pushes towards the opponent
      • The list cannot handle someone playing badly for 5 games hahaha
    • wombat wrote:

I find that having both Crossbows and TWs is the best build. Scout to good position and use crossbows is by far best option. However if flanked by say fast Cav the ability to quick reform due to musician, move and have 24 Aim 4 Stgh 3 Quick to fire shots can absolutely ruin a fast cav unit. Even when faced by T6 or higher Units you are also much better to use the TWs due to the number of shots. At an extra cost of 1 pt each. Bargain.

youngseward wrote:

Wombat after realising I needed a muso as well to make use of TW on the rangers, I decided that 32 points is probably too much to a unit that I dont plan on moving around much.

wombat wrote:

For my taste, I believe that the list lacks mobility. Personally I would have cut the Seekers to 10 figs and given them Vanguard and Skirmish and also cut Rangers to 10 Figs but upgrade with TWs and Skirmish.

youngseward wrote:

The list cannot handle monsters

The list is not quick nor mobile enough
      Dont want to say told you so but well, I did sort of mention it .

Giving Seekers Skirmish and Rangers TWs and Skirmish does help, not a complete answer, but it helps.

Really enjoyed your Thread and must say I would love to win every second Tourny I took part in. So yes, accept you are feeling down at moment.
      and can only recommend that you add your opponents Names to your Grudge Book, Sharpen your Axes and get revenge.

Better luck next time. :thumbsup:
    • youngseward wrote:

• The list is not quick nor mobile enough to function as a battleline that deploys centrally and pushes towards the opponent

And how much of this would you attribute to the quality of yer Battle Line as compared to Battle Lines in general? If you had gone with the CrutchKIng you would ofc have had a bit better tools against monsters.
      Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
      Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
      Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

Do not fall to the folly of the best laid of plans - for the mind of man is fickle in the face of the dice gods.
      Give yer high fives where yer opponents dice have been blessed, and in equal give yer handshakes when dice fall in malicious ways.
    • Herminard wrote:

youngseward wrote:

And how much of this would you attribute to the quality of yer Battle Line as compared to Battle Lines in general? If you had gone with the CrutchKIng you would ofc have had a bit better tools against monsters.
      Well. Monsters can be dealt with my some battlines - having things like minotaurs or white lions obviously can fit in well. Dwarves are a bit trickier, because their 3 main monster killing tactics are: characters, war machines and seeker units. Seeker units being the only one that fits the battleline idea. And even then big unbreakable bricks arent ideal battleline elements - if I can conga line my flank to face an opponent, hold for longer by taking less casualties and even get deathblow, I would say thats something battelines shouldnt do. But do I self handicap? Keeping a gamey yet viable tactic - how long would my moral resolve hold up at the top tables when its the smart play? I doubt very long.

In regards to mobility, it’s probably a dwarf battleline specific issue. I have nothing that is fast that can guard flanks - Hold Guardians MAY be able to fill this role. Talking specifics, I played against a player with 8 vampire spawn (and only one unit of them). Against that, I have to use a board edge to guard a flank and Schlieffen Plan the army in a swinging arm around to relevance. Which in my last game basically meant we didnt get good combats - just foregone conclusions after charging. Because he deployed on the other side as was the good play for him. But the only real thing I could think of to manage vamp spawn would be zoning organ guns - and thats just gross.

Definitely a lot of learning and tinkering to be done though. I would be lying if I said I played well in any of my games. I think a lot of the time I deployed poorly and set myself up for failure.