Ozzy's Dreaded - my Dread Elves army project

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Ozzy's Dreaded - my Dread Elves army project

Hello everyone!

Nearly a year after I decided to start playing T9A I finally finished painting my first model so I thought I'd try to show off and maybe it would help keep me motivated to continue

The concept for my army is to make it all-female, but (since there simply is not enough female Dread/Dark Elf models out there to make an entire army) to use various races including humans and daemons alongside all manner of elves (not planning on adding Dwarves, Orcs and the like, but not denying the possibility).

I'm not much of a painter (it takes me way too much time) and Plastic Grey is my favourite colour for miniatures, but once I get painting I like my miniatures to be colourful. However, I do greatly enjoy making simple conversions, and have recently started trying out Green Stuff for more than just gap filling, so you can expect to see lots of converted but unpainted models ;)

Oh, also, when I paint, usually the colour schemes I use are based on anime characters, so if you're an anime fan you might try to figure out where those are from. A hint for you:
      Display Spoiler
      Shrine, Snakes, White - this much should be enough ;)

I'll give the answer (the inspiration) next time I post an update

So, first up is the aforementioned model - my BSB Cult Priestess on Divine Altar (though I guess you could technically argue that it's six models, especially since I painted them as 6 separate parts)

Hopefully I'll be able to post new things soon :)

Best Wishes
      Ozzy
    • Raging Heroes do have a lot of Dark Elves - not all of them, but (other then heroes/characters) more than half of unit entries in DE army book.
      There are two issues with those models:
      1. Quality - I already have a number of models from RH (45 if I counted correctly) and the heroes are awesome, but the rank&files not so much. Lots of air bubbles and bent parts.
      The bubbles ruin the details of sculpts and the bent weapons (more than a third of swords from the boxes were beyond repair) - I tried the 'hot water -> bend -> cold water' thing and it didn't work.
      2. Poses - each cavalry (horses and raptors) have 6 sculpts - 3 for the command squad and 3 regulars and each infantry (swords, spears, crossbows, great swords, halberds, double swords) have 10 sculpts each - 5 for command and 5 for regulars. What's more those don't even differ that much from each other, so it's easy to end up with lots of very similarly looking models. (Which is not necessarily a bad thing, you might want an army that actually looks uniformly-ish, but that's not for me)
      They tell you that all bits are swappable, and it's technically correct (the best kind of correct ;) ) but if you actually do that and start swapping arms between models you're very likely to end up with some of the models in very ridiculously looking poses.

This is not to say I won't be buying their models, but definitely only a few rather than the entire army.

I already have Mantic's Succubi, GW's Demonets, Witch Elves, Dark Eldar Wytches and some other models waiting in line. There are actually more female models than I expected to find when I was starting. I'm just sad to find out that Avatars of War's Vestals of Nemesis were discontinued :(

Best Wishes
      Ozzy
    • I have the same sentiments about raging heroes. I love their metal stuff which they have pretty much phased out. Got a couple DE characters in Resin and while they are pretty cool and detailed I came to the same conclusion as Ozzy that the problems with their resin just aren't good for a whole army. Especially for small spiky dread elves. And especially for the price.

Ozzy666 wrote:

I'm just sad to find out that Avatars of War's Vestals of Nemesis were discontinued
      <---- my avatar is one of them :)
      They are a great kit. Obviously for experienced modelers as you have to deal with the thin ankles that will eventually break. I got pics in my signature.

Ozzy666 wrote:

I already have Mantic's Succubi, GW's Demonets, Witch Elves, Dark Eldar Wytches and some other models waiting in line. There are actually more female models than I expected to find when I was starting.
      Check out Reaper! Their metal and bones lines are great. ...takes a while to sort through. They don't really have packs/squads but they got enough individual models that you can easily get 10-20 to add to your army. No need to use them all as characters, some work fine just as a cool pose rank and file or maybe a champion.

Also Gamezone minatures has affordable spear/halberd models with BREAST-plates. :)
    • infamousme wrote:

The problem is that you got raging heroes resin :D

Go metal or nothing with them.
      RH metal is better but I wouldn't say that it's a definite no go with resin. It's quite a bit weaker from thin places but they have great variety of models to choose from.

@Ozzy666 you have nice start with your DE but I would probably drop few colors of. I mean not to offend, but this palette is just so vast that your altar looks like those carneval thingies from Rio. Im sure you can still achieve your manga -color theme with few less colors. Keep up the good work!
    • Ozzy666 wrote:

I'm not much of a painter (it takes me way too much time) and Plastic Grey is my favourite colour for miniatures, but once I get painting I like my miniatures to be colourful. However, I do greatly enjoy making simple conversions, and have recently started trying out Green Stuff for more than just gap filling, so you can expect to see lots of converted but unpainted models

Kdownunder wrote:

@Ozzy666 you have nice start with your DE but I would probably drop few colors of. I mean not to offend, but this palette is just so vast that your altar looks like those carneval thingies from Rio. Im sure you can still achieve your manga -color theme with few less colors. Keep up the good work!
      I have a similar problem with "rainbow" armies. It started with Empire which actually supports quite a bit of varied colour.
      The trick with a rainbow army is that you actually have to finish the highlights and everything or it looks to carneval like.
      Sometimes all this means is a simple wash and drybrush. The scales on your medusa are a good example being done to the point of good enough.

If you can do that Wash+drybrush/highlight on the rest of the model it will look good.
    • I'll probably be getting the Gamezone Dark Elf Lancers to use as Tower Guard, I totally missed them before somehow...
      The AoW's Vestals, I'm pretty confident I could handle them, I'll try the marketplace, maybe someone has them for sale.
      Reaper... yeah, that's a lot of models, I'll add that to my list of things to look through

As for the painting - I spent the past 5 years playing Malifaux (a skirmish, about 8-12 models per player) so I definitely don't 'feel' what will and what will not look good in a full army, so I think I might end up touching up on things after I have more models done.
      But even then I might just leave it as is - it is the centrepiece for the army after all, so it is supposed to be flashy ;)

Best Wishes
      Ozzy
    • Hi again!

It's been 2 months, but finally I have some more painted miniatures to show you. Perhaps I shouldn't wait until I have them all painted up and post updates more often

But first the altar: (Monogatari spoilers, kinda)
      Display Spoiler

The North White Snake Shrine - after it got rebuilt in Second Season

Sengoku Nadeko - the 'goddess' who resided there - yep, she's a medusa

The Priestess and the altar crew are basically versions of how she appears early on in the series (still as a human)

And now for the new models

Blades of Nabh - They put the 'grr' in 'girl'

I already have other units lined up, so I should be uploading new things soon

Best Wishes
      Ozzy
    • With a block of infantry already done time has come for some cavalry support

Here you can see 4 units of Dark Riders (3x5+6) and 2 units of Dark Acolytes (2x7) I will be painting in the near future, right now they're waiting to get primed. I hope to reach a full 4,5k in painted miniatures in two months time, don't know how realistic that is though with me being only a third of the way in :-/

Best Wishes
      Ozzy
    • 2 more units of Dark Raiders are close to being done:

Now just the Acolytes to go and I'll be done with my light cavalry
      Next in line are these Dancers of Yema, I had the models ready for like over half a year, but only now I actually got around to ranking them up. Not sure how that's gonna turn out, since I don't think there are any 2 models that could just swap places now, so I'm just gonna have to keep them like this at all times

Best Wishes
      Ozzy
    • So, there's been a slight change of plans, and the Dancers aren't done yet, but I have something else to share.

I finished the bases for my Dark Raiders, and now they're officially considered "done", so let me properly introduce them:

Dark Raiders - they put the 'cape' in 'escape'

As for the colour scheme inspirations - "The Archer class really is made up of archers" ;)

And here's another WIP - my first two Dread Reapers, just waiting for their crews:

I have a 2,5k pts local tournament next week in my city, but I don't think I'll make it with a fully painted army :-/

As always, hoping to post more updates soon :)

Best Wishes
      Ozzy
    • New

So, the tournament was fun, I ended up in 3rd place (11 people attended), not bad for a first timer, I dare say :P

With that out of the way and not sure when the next one is gonna be I jumped back to getting more WIPs started and not finishing anything xD (I like modelling way better than painting)

So, here are the two newest additions: Krakens of the "made with leftover bits" variety. The one on the right of obviously from the GWs plastic Hydra and the one on the left is a Tyranid Haruspex head with a Ravener's tail for the neck-like part

I'm not really good with green stuff, so I might be covering those parts with plants, water and other things.

I also have kit bashed Hunting and Raptor Chariots planned, hoping to be able to post them soon.

Best Wishes
      Ozzy