Anyone else really wished we had characters with querks

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Cheers!

      Here's a T9A homebrew example from our ongoing Kegiz Gavem concept work, of famous names and their stories as contributions to worldbuilding as a whole. We had naturally brainstormed about the faction in a zoomed-out manner from the start. With this post we got zoomed-in on a famous warrior name. You tell if it adds to the overall impression for Kegiz Gavem (light worshipping Ethiopian fantasy Dwarves, sworn rivals to Daemon-dabbling Infernal Dwarves), or if it distracts from it. It's basically a special character backstory:


      Display Spoiler



      Icon of Garuvebiz the Scorched

      Legends tell of a strong and warlike ancestor who was the first to explore the rich and sacred coast overseas, uncovering mysteries both occult and divine, and learning of the Heavenly Light's will for Kegiz Gavem to grasp this dry land for her own and purify it from Infernal clutches. The name of this man was Garuvebiz, a strapping fellow who dyed his beard red with henna and spilt red blood in the sands for the sacred cause of the Light. First he was to discover, and first he was to set foot ashore among a mighty Gavemite expeditionary force led by Ras Avrakam II's oldest son, Yugnaz the Stalwart.

      In battle Garuvebiz was a force unto his own, for his vision became filled by the Light on high as he slayed its enemies and cleansed the promised shores from both Infernal Dwarves and their slave soldiers. Yet the sheer success of this famous champion planted arrogance in his heart, and for this sin did the Heavenly Light cast him aside into captivity and punishment at the hands of Garuvebiz' hateful foes. They stripped him of dignity and armour, and chained his wrists. A command beyond words struck into the mind of him as he lay languishing in his cell, a higher call making Garuvebiz understand that he was to lift his head during his coming torment, and never once have eyes for anything but the light above.

      The shackled champion did maintain his gaze upward into the bright sky while kicks and whiplashes rained upon his gnarled hide, yet he finally faltered and looked down for but a moment as the jailors lowered him into a pit of fire. His skin was burnt to a crisp for this brief loss of eye contact with the divine, yet the Light ultimately shielded him from the worst of the flames for the sake of his repentance, and for his resumed stare into the heavens above. And so it was that the cruel and jeering Infernal Dwarves dragged Garuvebiz' twitching body to a nearby Gavemite fort, and dumped his burnt form outside its gates in order to sow terror into the hearts of their pious foes. The Infernal Warriors left their still-smoking victim with a baleful laughter at their lips.

      Appalled, the garrison of the fort took their burnt kinsman inside, and eventually discovered a hidden miracle while they slowly nursed him. The hellish flames had indeed seared and ravaged the skin of Garuvebiz, akin to the burning off of superficial pride. Yet their hot bite had not destroyed the flesh beneath the hide, for penitent Garuvebiz had proven his inner spirit to be pure and humble, and thus the Light saved him from death, though not from torture and disfigurement. And so his health and beard eventually returned by the blessing of the Light, and Garuvebiz the Scorched was both able to father sons and daughters, and return to the wars against the Infernal Dwarves overseas. And amid the Gavemite hosts, he bore his horrible burn scars steadily, and once more wreaked higher judgement upon his foes in battle.



      Much agreed on the community engagement.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

    • Ah "make your top three named special characters" in the factions threads would probably be a feast for many :)

      Is this something the ASC (did I spell it right?) could set up ...?
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      When strolling around before going to bed, a mean Orc might whack you on the back of your head!
    • Pellegrim wrote:

      Ah "make your top three named special characters" in the factions threads would probably be a feast for many :)

      Is this something the ASC (did I spell it right?) could set up ...?
      That's actually a terrible way to do it, because then Legal would have to review all the submissions to make sure none of them were WHFB characters (or close enough for IP purposes). Because you know there would be a bunch of submissions which were explicitly or implicitly WHFB special characters. And in the (not so farfetched) scenario where many of the top picks were stolen from WHFB, you'd basically make Legal the bad guys by having to say 'no' after the work was done.

      (Also, with the background not readily available, sadly the army communities are not equipped to make characters which fit into T9A's world for most factions. This would have to start with character prompts from BGT).
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

      Legal

      Playtester

      Chariot Command HQ

    • its a great way - just not for legal :)

      The best thing about 9th Age was the phase where the community made units through ASC's, that were later jammed into format by team "x, y and z". Although this was experienced as burdensome later, it truly created the 9th Age feeling. I think its importance is underestimated.

      The current redesign structures is completely staff-centrered and lacks the great community involvement of the first phases, bare some polls. And it gave us the WtDG and DL book. I must say I am not shattered about those, and hold my hart for.the DH and O&G ones.

      So, more community creation, less legal / asaw! ;)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      When strolling around before going to bed, a mean Orc might whack you on the back of your head!

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Pellegrim ().

    • Pellegrim wrote:

      So, more community creation, less legal / asaw! ;)
      Legal doesn't interfere that much, but when it does it's necessary. Not only is respecting intellectual property the moral thing to do, but there are consequences for not doing it (not least would be the disappearance of T9A shortly after a lawsuit dropped).
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

      Legal

      Playtester

      Chariot Command HQ

    • I fully get that. The named characters need to be unique. That be be written very clearly in a bid. Also no need for a long list. The community knows perfectly fine when something is a rip off or a copy of an existing characters gents.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      When strolling around before going to bed, a mean Orc might whack you on the back of your head!
    • Eldan wrote:

      I'd quite like a few of the old characters back, though. We had a dozen or so of them and a lot of them were quite unique. At least in general idea. We still don't have a machinist lord in power armour, or a commander who can flee losing battles, or a breeder who buffs his beasts.

      Squirrelloid wrote:

      Pellegrim wrote:

      Ah "make your top three named special characters" in the factions threads would probably be a feast for many :)

      Is this something the ASC (did I spell it right?) could set up ...?
      That's actually a terrible way to do it, because then Legal would have to review all the submissions to make sure none of them were WHFB characters (or close enough for IP purposes). Because you know there would be a bunch of submissions which were explicitly or implicitly WHFB special characters. And in the (not so farfetched) scenario where many of the top picks were stolen from WHFB, you'd basically make Legal the bad guys by having to say 'no' after the work was done.
      (Also, with the background not readily available, sadly the army communities are not equipped to make characters which fit into T9A's world for most factions. This would have to start with character prompts from BGT).


      Them being a) GW IP and b) quite unique = you will never see anything like them in T9A because that would be illegal Eldan.


      We can come up with our own , new and unique characters, but not blatant rip-offs of stuff other people already made up.

      Background Team

    • WhammeWhamme wrote:

      We can come up with our own , new and unique characters,
      Yes! Let's do this!

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      but not blatant rip-offs of stuff other people already made up.
      True, but you bring this rather negatively. Remember people love this game cause it continued Warhammer for them. For some its still is a tweaked version of it (something with 16 armies etc etc)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      When strolling around before going to bed, a mean Orc might whack you on the back of your head!
    • Pellegrim wrote:


      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      but not blatant rip-offs of stuff other people already made up.
      True, but you bring this rather negatively. Remember people love this game cause it continued Warhammer for them. For some its still is a tweaked version of it (something with 16 armies etc etc)
      That's nice. The answer is still no.
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

      Legal

      Playtester

      Chariot Command HQ

    • Squirrelloid wrote:

      Pellegrim wrote:

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      but not blatant rip-offs of stuff other people already made up.
      True, but you bring this rather negatively. Remember people love this game cause it continued Warhammer for them. For some its still is a tweaked version of it (something with 16 armies etc etc)
      That's nice. The answer is still no.
      I was commenting on the tone; I realize it needs to be unique (and I prefer it that way)
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      When strolling around before going to bed, a mean Orc might whack you on the back of your head!
    • I've already made a character *in this thread* (Stumpy, the brave little three-legged Taurosaur who could).

      What we need is an active RT member to take up the cause of fun, unique, but *not* OP named characters (and other unit types. Go Stumpy!). Not sure who to approach tho' - suggestions welcome or we could just start tagging people randomly. ;)


      Edit: Yes, my tone was a little harsh - sorry about that, Eldan.

      Background Team

    • There is absolutely nothing stopping a regular player to convert the old WFB special character rules into the current T9A rules set and then posting it up in the homebrew section. It gets around the copyright because its homebrew and not done by an official T9A member, right? or am I wrong?

      If I'm right then the only problem that needs to be addressed is lazyness. :)
    • WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Eldan wrote:

      I'd quite like a few of the old characters back, though. We had a dozen or so of them and a lot of them were quite unique. At least in general idea. We still don't have a machinist lord in power armour, or a commander who can flee losing battles, or a breeder who buffs his beasts.

      Squirrelloid wrote:

      Pellegrim wrote:

      Ah "make your top three named special characters" in the factions threads would probably be a feast for many :)

      Is this something the ASC (did I spell it right?) could set up ...?
      That's actually a terrible way to do it, because then Legal would have to review all the submissions to make sure none of them were WHFB characters (or close enough for IP purposes). Because you know there would be a bunch of submissions which were explicitly or implicitly WHFB special characters. And in the (not so farfetched) scenario where many of the top picks were stolen from WHFB, you'd basically make Legal the bad guys by having to say 'no' after the work was done.(Also, with the background not readily available, sadly the army communities are not equipped to make characters which fit into T9A's world for most factions. This would have to start with character prompts from BGT).
      Them being a) GW IP and b) quite unique = you will never see anything like them in T9A because that would be illegal Eldan.


      We can come up with our own , new and unique characters, but not blatant rip-offs of stuff other people already made up.
      How is a lord-level machinist with a flamethrower and heavy armour any more of a breach of IP than, say, everything else in the Vermin Swarm book? How is that more distinct than the doomwheel, plague pendulum or doombell?
    • "Well I think this that and the other is IP infringing" is either going to get you a "well you're wrong" or "well then we have to change or remove them".
      It's never going to get a "well in THAT case we can infringe on IP freely".


      Also, the standard Machinist already has a flamethrower. Naphtha Thrower. Right there in his entry. And heavy armour too.
      (strangely enough, flamethrowers and armour are public domain concepts. must be that bit where they come from IRL)

      So what's missing?

      You just want a named character Machinist, any old special rules would be fine?
      Or do you want one with Dis 6 specifically?

      Because "named character Machinist" we can do. Probably even one with Dis 6, although I think Squirreloid would prefer it if they all had Dis 6.

      But that would be a T9A creation, not a copy of some other game's IP.

      Background Team

    • What's a "Lord level machinist" if it's a special character (and therefore doesn't have a special item allowance). I don't even get it.
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

      Legal

      Playtester

      Chariot Command HQ

    • Apart from Copyright and powerlevel questions:
      The announcement for the Infernal dwarves book got me thinking. at first i thought it was also an announcement of Special characters (its a fluffy way of announcing the team ^^). But then i thought: Why not eternalize the teams behind t9a?
      Its not thought through. Probably a bad idea, because there are a looot of people behind the scenes and if not everyone gets a special character that would be bad. But maybe there could be a clear line for when one gets to design a character that gets put into a supplement, maybe with a name close to the username or something.
      That would in my mind be something really special and cool. And we would learn more about the Team while also learning about the background of t9a and getting special characters.