A Sylvan Elf Questionnaire

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• A Sylvan Elf Questionnaire

Hi all!

After following the Are SE disappearing in your meta? thread for awhile and seeing it go a bit off topic I figured it might be a good idea to ask for detailed answers from the community on how they currently feel about the Sylvan Elves army book. With it being roughly a year since the last major update its probably a good time to see how all of our opinions have been shaped though experience.

1. What initially attracted you to starting a Sylvan Elves army? (If more than one reason exists, list them in bullet points)

1b. Do you currently consider Sylvan Elves a fun army to play with?

1c. Do you currently consider Sylvan Elves a fun army to play against?

1d. Do you hear more negative comments or positive comments about Sylvan Elves from other players?

1e. Please give some examples:

2a. Do you currently consider Sylvan Elves your primary 9th age army or did you formerly consider Sylvan Elves your primary army?

2b. Why so?

2c. Are you still playing Sylvan Elves in games of 9th Age?

2d. Are you still taking Sylvan Elves to tournaments or special events?

2e. Are you planning on taking Sylvan Elves to a tournament in the next 3 months?

3a. Since the spring of 2018 how many games of 9th age would you say you have averaged per month playing Sylvan Elves?

3b. Is this more games on average or less games on average since the previous year?

3c. Why so?

4a. How many people do you know that own a Sylvan Elves army?

4b. How many people do you know that own a Sylvan Elves army that do not regularly visit the 9th age forums?

4c. How many people do you know who own a Sylvan Elves army but do not bring them to tournaments/special events?

4d. How many people do you know who own a Sylvan Elves army but do not currently play with the army at clubs or with friends?

5a. How many people do you know who are considering starting a Sylvan Elves army?

5b. Would you recommend that a friend start a Sylvan Elf army?

5c. Why so?

6a. What reasons do you believe would prevent someone from starting a Sylvan Elves army? (I.e. difficult to acquire models, the army is not fun to play, the background material does not meet your expectations, the army rules are under powered, no one to play with, people refuse to play against the army)

6b. How difficult do you feel it is to learn how to play with Sylvan Elves?

6c. Do you think this impacts the number of people who play the army and in what way?

7a. Do you think the presented background materials from official 9th age sources accurately represents how you envision Sylvan Elves?

7b. Does how Sylvan Elves play during a game of 9th Age match the official 9th age background material?

7c. Does how Sylvan Elves play during a game of 9th Age match how you envision they would function in an "actual" battle.

8. Are there any unit, item, or rule names that you dislike in the Sylvan Elves army book? Please list each entry you dislike with a short description of why.

9a. What is your most favorite aspect of the current Sylvan Elves book? (Background/theme, Certain Units, Special Rules/Equipment, Play Style, or Other)

9b. What is your least favorite aspect of the current Sylvan Elves book?

10a. What viable play styles do you think Sylvan Elves currently have?

10b. What play styles do you think Sylvan Elves should have?

11a. On a scale of 1-10 how “magical” do you believe Sylvan Elves should be? (This includes the number of Paths of Magic available to their Wizards, Special Rules that interact with the Magic Phase, Special Items that interact with the Magic Phase, and special attributes such as; Magical Attacks, Aegis Save, & Supernal)

11b. On a scale of 1-10 how “magical” do you believe Sylvan Elves currently are?

12a. What Paths of Magic do you associate with Sylvan Elves? (List them in order of most importance to least)

12b. Which paths of magic to you feel are represented being used by the Sylvan Elves in official 9th age background material (List them in order of most used to least)

13a. On a scale of 1-10 rate the overall quality of the Special Items/Aspects of Nature section of the army book.

13b. What is your reasoning for your rating?

14a. What are your three most favorite Special Items/Aspects of Nature and why? (If you do not have 3, leave the extras blank)

14b. What are your three least favorite Special Items/Aspects of Nature and why? (If you do not have 3, leave the extras blank)

15a. Do you think the current army composition categories are balanced?

15b. Why so?

16a. What is your favorite unit?

16b. Why so?

16c. What is your least favorite unit?

16d. Why so?

17a. List which units you think are over performing (leave blank if you feel none are)

17b. Why so?

17c. List which units you think are under performing (leave blank if you feel none are)

17d. Why so?

18a. Do you think Sylvan Elves need new unit entries?

18b. Why so?

18c. How many do you think should be added if so?

18d. List a few new unit ideas you like with a short description for each.

19a. Which 3 unit entries do would you consider "iconic" to Sylvan Elves.

19b. Even if these units are or become "uncompetitive" would you still take them?

19c. Why so?

20a. Which, if any units do you feel should be drastically re-worked into something new?

20b. Why so?

21a. Do you believe Sylvan Elves have large amount of redundant unit entries? (units that are very similar to one another)

21b. Which ones?

22a. Do Sylvan Elves have an unfair advantage against a specific army or list type? (Please list which ones)

22b. Are Sylvan Elves ranged attack capabilities unfair against most opponents?

22c. Are Sylvan Elves mobility options are unfair against most opponents?

23a. Do Sylvan Elves have an unfair weakness against a specific army or list type? (Please list which ones)

23b. Do Sylvan Elves have an unfair weakness to Magic Missiles or Ranged Attacks that ignore to-hit modifiers?

23c. Do Sylvan Elves have an unfair weakness when trying to score secondary objectives?

24a. Do you believe Sylvan Elves are internally balanced?

24b. Do you believe Sylvan Elves are externally balanced?

24c. Are Sylvan Elves too match-up dependent (i.e. RPS)

25. Are there other armies in the 9th age that are better at or equal to the Sylvan Elves at their primary niche?

26a. Do you like the direction the Sylvan Elf army has taken since the start of the project? (Yes, No, or Mixed)

26b. Do you believe your concerns are being heard by decision makers in the project? (Yes, No, or Sometimes)

26c. Do you believe your concerns are being acted upon in the project? (Yes, No, or Sometimes)

27a. On a scale of 1-14 where would you rank Sylvan Elves for priority on receiving a full army book release.

27b. Which armies, if any, do you think need a full release more?

28a. Which other 9th age armies do you currently own?

28b. If you have stopped playing with Sylvan Elves which army(s) do you currently play with?

28c. Why So?

29. On a scale of 1-10 do you think the 9th age currently matches your vision of what a Sylvan Elf army should be?

30. Any final remarks?
    A Sylvan Elves Homebrew Full Army Book - last updated January 31, 2020
  • 1. What initially attracted you to starting a Sylvan Elves army? (If more than one reason exists, list them in bullet points)
    The models and fluff. They are the most elvish elves if you ask me. Plus I wanted to play a mobile army, since my other army is EoS.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Only me.

Yes, if he likes the models, fluff and play style. Not If he wants a super balanced or especially effective army.

Difficult

6c. Do you think this impacts the number of people who play the army and in what way?
    Yes. Mistakes are punished hard. And you can make so many. Constantly need to check distances for magic missiles etc. With EoS I laugh a pyromancy. The their flames can hardly touch my armor or 50 halberdiers and I will respond not in kind, but with a canonball!

7a. Do you think the presented background materials from official 9th age sources accurately represents how you envision Sylvan Elves?
    Have not read it. I like the GW lore, not need to change that :)

7c. Does how Sylvan Elves play during a game of 9th Age match how you envision they would function in an "actual" battle.
    Mostly yes, combo charge, arrows, glass canons, speed is all good, although the sacrificing our proud eagles and Heath Hunters doing congaline is not very elvish.

8. Are there any unit, item, or rule names that you dislike in the Sylvan Elves army book?
    Units: I like them all for the fluff and play style, but honestly, there are some must haves and some that are never used. Seems like Kestrels and Thickets are very popular, while Spearelves are not.
    Items: It would be easier to list the one item I like: Hunters Honour. I mostly use non-SE specific items.
    KIndreds: How often do you see a shapeshiter?

9a. What is your most favorite aspect of the current Sylvan Elves book?
    All the forest-linked rules. Very fluffy and fun.
    The speed and agility.

Vulnerability to magic missiles and monsters.

Avoidance.
    Close combat, but extremely match up dependant.

"Gunline" with bows. More reliable close combat in form of better speareleves.

11a. On a scale of 1-10 how “magical” do you believe Sylvan Elves should be?

11b. On a scale of 1-10 how “magical” do you believe Sylvan Elves currently are?

12a. What Paths of Magic do you associate with Sylvan Elves?
    1. Druidism
    2. Witch craft (Should be)
    2. Shamanism
    4. Divination
    5. Cosmology

13a. On a scale of 1-10 rate the overall quality of the Special Items/Aspects of Nature section of the army book.
    Hunters Honour is good. Rest is meh.

Blade Dancers or Pathfinders for the fluff. Kestrels for effectiveness.

Thicket beasts. Everyone use them. Gets boring.
    Speareleves for lack effectiveness.

Yes one. We need a swarm. We could use the butterfly-frogs that comes with the Archers on a swarm base. Why? Because it is extremely unelvish to sacrifice our brethen as chaff. Plus they could synergise with archers, since they do not block line of sight. Otherwise no. Big changes lead to unforeseen problems.

Pathfinders, Blade Dancers and Tree Father.

19b. Even if these units are or become "uncompetitive" would you still take them?
    Yes

20a. Which, if any units do you feel should be drastically re-worked into something new?
    Briar Maidens. They are too niche.

21a. Do you believe Sylvan Elves have large amount of redundant unit entries? (units that are very similar to one another)
    No

No. They are overrated. EoS gunline is much stronger since I can also shoot monsters.

23a. Do Sylvan Elves have an unfair weakness against a specific army or list type?
    Monster spam.

23b. Do Sylvan Elves have an unfair weakness to Magic Missiles or Ranged Attacks that ignore to-hit modifiers?
    Yes

23c. Do Sylvan Elves have an unfair weakness when trying to score secondary objectives?
    Yes

No

No

Yes, including secondary objectives. However I fear that it is to some extent a condition when playing an unique army like SE or KoE.

27a. On a scale of 1-14 where would you rank Sylvan Elves for priority on receiving a full army book release.

EoS
  • 1. What initially attracted you to starting a Sylvan Elves army? (If more than one reason exists, list them in bullet points)
    I was originally an OK player. I wanted to change playstyle, and I like to trick my opponent into traps or hard situation. So Sylvan was the way to go (or so I thought, and my friend so).

Yes and no. It can be very frustrating, as some troops are overcosted IMO. So you have to take some extra care for your troops, because of how much they cost. But in the same time, those troops are "fragile", with low resilience and armor. This make that sometimes, I don't play with my opponent and just tell him "you win". Too much shooting, fast units and/or blast. Thought, it can all be solved by list building, but I don't want to play ogres with leafs

As fun as UD or EoS. I have a very few armies that are "fun" to play against, it is usually some idotic list building (no matter of the army) that could be fun (like 6 pack of 20 empire hallebardiers)

1d. Do you hear more negative comments or positive comments about Sylvan Elves from other players?
    Neither.

"Pathfinders are very cool, but damn it is so expensive !". Not exactly positive or negative :)

2a. Do you currently consider Sylvan Elves your primary 9th age army or did you formerly consider Sylvan Elves your primary army?
    No

2b. Why so?
    I play as many times ogre as I play SE.

Yes

No. I feel it too weak.

2e. Are you planning on taking Sylvan Elves to a tournament in the next 3 months?
    No. I still feel it too weak (at least with my playstyle). As I said, I don't want to play Ogres with leafs. That limit playstyle.

3a. Since the spring of 2018 how many games of 9th age would you say you have averaged per month playing Sylvan Elves?

3b. Is this more games on average or less games on average since the previous year?
    Same. I play once a week, every week. 2 ogres and 2 se.

3c. Why so?
    I have a work ? That's definitively part of the answer :)

4b. How many people do you know that own a Sylvan Elves army that do not regularly visit the 9th age forums?

4c. How many people do you know who own a Sylvan Elves army but do not bring them to tournaments/special events?
    3. I include myself there :)

4d. How many people do you know who own a Sylvan Elves army but do not currently play with the army at clubs or with friends?

5a. How many people do you know who are considering starting a Sylvan Elves army?
    None

No

5c. Why so?
    I feel like the hard hitting, quick army can be done more efficiently with DE. They hit less hard than SE, but are much much more flexible in list building and reliable.

6a. What reasons do you believe would prevent someone from starting a Sylvan Elves army? (I.e. difficult to acquire models, the army is not fun to play, the background material does not meet your expectations, the army rules are under powered, no one to play with, people refuse to play against the army)
    In my circle of friends (near Versailles, France), money is not an issue (we are not rich, but clearly not poor). So models are no issue. I think it's the fact that the army currently does not have a really strong thematic the issue. DE and HBE have social constructions, ideals and typical behavior. I don't feel the same in the current SE. However, I was really enthusiastic with the Devastating charge on all Cav, as it give a lot of "Wild Hunt" feeling. I would love to see it apply on some infanteries too.

Not that difficult. It's the same with every army. There are "step of mastery" of the army. I am clearly not good enough however to know to which extent this is true at the top level.

No. I have seen too many people playing their army very badly and enjoying it. Except one VC. Who didn't want to learn how to progress.

Yes. In a large part, but I thnik it's better written I could have done myself.

7b. Does how Sylvan Elves play during a game of 9th Age match the official 9th age background material?
    No would be harsh. Not engough, clearly. As the enchanter's are depicted in the official book, it's a shame they do not have Witchcraft. Rangers are depicted as the anchor of the battle line. And so on.

I would say yes, but units are overpriced for what they do. Even if they have an amazing damage output, the Wild Huntsmen and Pathfinders cost an arm, and can be wiped out easily by some low strength shooting of magic. The price is not well balanced IMO, the lack of defensive ability for those units should lower the price.

8. Are there any unit, item, or rule names that you dislike in the Sylvan Elves army book? Please list each entry you dislike with a short description of why.
    The core Archer is way, but way too expensive for what he does. I agree it's not in Unseen Arrows anymore but 28 pts for a 3+ S3 AP1 shot is just too much. And as far as I'm concern, we can remove the S4 AP1 part of the shoot on those archer, because it is very unlikely to be usefull (maybe once per game they can do it, when they are not wiped out by other shooting/magic).

For the Heath Rider, I still find them a bit "light" as an impact cavalry. You don't win, even if you charge, on many target. May it be monster of heavily armored units, there is not impact engough. Worse, sometime bringing those in a fight will help the opponent to get combat result.

Wild hunters and Pathfinders cost too much. I don't want to play more pathfinders (20 is a lot). But When they are wiped out, I don't want to have lost 20% of my army. Litteraly.

Half of the items are crap, check Hachiman Taro data to find which ones, it will be quick :)

Kindred are OK. I woudn't mind Pathfinder Kindred beeing 0-1 per army.

9a. What is your most favorite aspect of the current Sylvan Elves book? (Background/theme, Certain Units, Special Rules/Equipment, Play Style, or Other)
    The emphasing on devastating charge for cavalry is very good. I would like to see more of this, and I don't mind SE being charge dependant. It IS the wild hunt we are talking about :) Ranger being Adv6 March10 help in this way too.
    I like the background and theme a lot, and the guerilla playstyle is nice too.

Pricing of units, mainly. I will have lose due to magic blast, but it represent too much percent of my army.

Having a block on the center and harassing the opponents small units.

More guerilla. More small unit attacking from everywhere. Being able to take a deathstar with a nice combo charge. Currently too hard to do. Or, to be more accurate, I have an army list in OK that does it better than SE. Even if it should be more SE-style than OK, IMO.

11a. On a scale of 1-10 how “magical” do you believe Sylvan Elves should be? (This includes the number of Paths of Magic available to their Wizards, Special Rules that interact with the Magic Phase, Special Items that interact with the Magic Phase, and special attributes such as; Magical Attacks, Aegis Save, & Supernal)
    In a fantasy world with wizards and demons ? I don't get the question, and thus can't answer.

Same as 11a.

12a. What Paths of Magic do you associate with Sylvan Elves? (List them in order of most importance to least)
    Druidism, Witchcraft. The current Shamanism also fit in, but if Druidism had a bit more agressive aspect (a spell that debuff enemy resilience, or buff strength) then Shamanism is not needed anymore. For the trees, I think Cosmology would suit them nicely, lorewise. I don't get why divination for them(even if divination is currently stronger than cosmo).

12b. Which paths of magic to you feel are represented being used by the Sylvan Elves in official 9th age background material (List them in order of most used to least)
    Same as said before.

A solid 6, close to 7.

Some are good, most are medium to mediocre, and few are useless and completely overpriced (looking at you, Drums :) )

14a. What are your three most favorite Special Items/Aspects of Nature and why? (If you do not have 3, leave the extras blank)

- 1. Hunter's Honor. You need it in your elf fighter block. Excellent combo with the hereditary spell

- 2. Curse of the Black Stag. I would have prefered +2 Def instead of +1 for it to be more useful on a Forest Captain, but still good

- 3. Banner of Silent Mist. A must. Present in all my list. However, it should cancel Swift Reform as well as musician, to be complete.

14b. What are your three least favorite Special Items/Aspects of Nature and why? (If you do not have 3, leave the extras blank)

- 1. Drums of Cenryn - Useless, on foot only, 40 pt... a no-no

- 2. Bough of Wyscan - a bit expensive. It is the bow created for Pathfinder Kindred, I understand. But useless if not. I would rather see it erased.

- 3. Mist walker's Mirror. Way too expensive as it is easy counter. And again, limited to "on foot".

No

15b. Why so?
    I would like the Forest Spirit to become a category on his own. And with an Aspect of Nature in order to increase it if the general is a Treefather.

Fluffwise, Wildhunter.
    Game wise, Shapeshifter

16b. Why so?
    Dunno. I happen to like them. It works well with me.

Treekin.

16d. Why so?
    I'm jealous of the profile as an ogre player too I guess. And I find resilience 5 to be a great deal on a unit, and I would like to have less of those in the game.

17a. List which units you think are over performing (leave blank if you feel none are)

17b. Why so?

17c. List which units you think are under performing (leave blank if you feel none are)
    Half of elves entries

17d. Why so?
    Over priced regarding the lack of defensive ability. And not just against shooting (Def 3 on Wild Huntsmen). Both Cosmology and Druidism range are a bit short, and a mounted Druid is not "that" cool. I think that the pricing is made with the rule "The Forest follow". But our whole army don't fit in that forest ! Remove it if needed and price correctly our troops.

Complicated matter. I would say yes, beasts entries. Like bears or wolfs, or stags...

18b. Why so?
    To have some expendable chaff other than eagle

Will depend of the profile

Wolfs pack in core, similar to VC wolfs.

Wildhunter, PathFinder, Forest Guard

Some, yes.

19c. Why so?
    Because they are iconic.

None.

20b. Why so?
    Some should be slightly adjusted, but that's all

No, but ome internal competition are not balanced.

21b. Which ones?
    FG and dryads, mainly. Treekin and rangers in a lesser extent.

22a. Do Sylvan Elves have an unfair advantage against a specific army or list type? (Please list which ones)
    I did not find it yet :)

No. To some opponent however, it can be a bit hard to handle. Mainly other elves.

No.

23a. Do Sylvan Elves have an unfair weakness against a specific army or list type? (Please list which ones)
    Gunlines, monster mash

Oriented question. yes, but be careful with formulation.

Hold the center. But it is faire, as the objective is really in favor of deathstars.

For most entries, yes.

No. 10% price drop needed on many entries !

No, I lose no matter the opponent :). More seriously, yes, way more than my ogres.

25. Are there other armies in the 9th age that are better at or equal to the Sylvan Elves at their primary niche?
    Yes. Ogres and DE, as I played both and made some list. But you need to define that niche better (or you are refering to questions 10a and 10b ?)

26a. Do you like the direction the Sylvan Elf army has taken since the start of the project? (Yes, No, or Mixed)
    Mixed

26b. Do you believe your concerns are being heard by decision makers in the project? (Yes, No, or Sometimes)
    Well I don't send my concern often to decision makers. So No, but it's mainly my fault/

26c. Do you believe your concerns are being acted upon in the project? (Yes, No, or Sometimes)

WDG. Still internally unbalanced IMO.

Ogres

28b. If you have stopped playing with Sylvan Elves which army(s) do you currently play with?
    Ogres. I play SE only for fun games

28c. Why So?
    I own it ?

29. On a scale of 1-10 do you think the 9th age currently matches your vision of what a Sylvan Elf army should be?
    3. I would like a Forest Spirit % category, which is unlikely to happen. And the avoidance fear is a burden, as it blocks idea without the opportunity to actually try it and see what happens.

30. Any final remarks?
    That survey was a pain in the *ss. It is way too long and boring. I took 3 breaks to answer this, I can't help but have pity for the poor dude that read all that. And some of your questions are really oriented (for the Witchcraft domain being in the background or weakness to magic missile)
  • 1. What initially attracted you to starting a Sylvan Elves army? (If more than one reason exists, list them in bullet points) treefolk

1b. Do you currently consider Sylvan Elves a fun army to play with? yes

1c. Do you currently consider Sylvan Elves a fun army to play against? yes

1d. Do you hear more negative comments or positive comments about Sylvan Elves from other players? negative

only competitive way to play is tree spirit spam,

no

2b. Why so? wotdg and VC are my main armies, as my elf collection grows it might move up to my main army.

2c. Are you still playing Sylvan Elves in games of 9th Age? yes

2d. Are you still taking Sylvan Elves to tournaments or special events? no

2e. Are you planning on taking Sylvan Elves to a tournament in the next 3 months? no

3a. Since the spring of 2018 how many games of 9th age would you say you have averaged per month playing Sylvan Elves? 1

3b. Is this more games on average or less games on average since the previous year? more

3c. Why so? started collecting them in 2018

4a. How many people do you know that own a Sylvan Elves army? 3

4b. How many people do you know that own a Sylvan Elves army that do not regularly visit the 9th age forums? 1

4c. How many people do you know who own a Sylvan Elves army but do not bring them to tournaments/special events? 2

4d. How many people do you know who own a Sylvan Elves army but do not currently play with the army at clubs or with friends? 2

5a. How many people do you know who are considering starting a Sylvan Elves army? 0

5b. Would you recommend that a friend start a Sylvan Elf army? no

5c. Why so? not top tier, hard to play for beginners

army rules are underpowered.

6b. How difficult do you feel it is to learn how to play with Sylvan Elves? somewhat

6c. Do you think this impacts the number of people who play the army and in what way? yes.. very strategic army not forgiving with mistakes.

yes

no

no

tree singing, wish you could move forest that are in contact with only friendly models. we have synergies to stand in forest witch make this rule almost useless
    sacred bark, make all models gain hatred so it can be put on bsb.
    mist walker mirror. way too many points for one time use only. wotdg get 4 portals a turn. can teleport 2 units. and the portals are not restricted to terrain.
    sacred seeds seems over priced, size of forest is weird, make all forests the same size

I like dragon riders and princes on great elks,

how slow the trees move, wish they had more teleport or deployment options inside forest start of game;

tree spam

tree spam, avoidance, trickery.

shamanism, druidism, witchcraft, cosmology

shamanism, druidism, witchcraft, cosmology

overly situational items, compared to other books I see me never building a list with over half the items. aspects should be more universal as well.

- 1. curse of the black stag, cool name with good benefits.

- 2. banner of silent mist, supports the avoidance fluff and useful.

- 3. horn of the wild hunt, fluffy and useful.

- 1. entangling vines. you normally want to get your champs into challenges instead of characters, if this applied to all challenges in the bearers unit things would be different.

- 2. scarred bark, too expensive wish it gave bearer and its unit... too specific for dryads.

- 3. mist walker mirror, needs to be multiple use and cheaper, maybe put a limit on how many models the unit can have.

no, feels overly restrictive compared to other armies while list building. better than in the past but still restricting.

15b. Why so?
    hard to make lists,

briar maidens.

16b. Why so?
    useful in many different ways, avoidance, shooting, and magic. what the elves should be.

forest guard

16d. Why so?
    too bland

17b. Why so?

treefathers, and equivalents.

17d. Why so?
    too slow for a highly mobile army.

yes

18b. Why so?
    other types of fey creatures would be fun.

2-4 units

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fey_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons) brainstorm ideas

treefather, great elk, dryads

yes

19c. Why so?
    what models I own.

unicorn

20b. Why so?
    very meh.

yes

21b. Which ones?

no

no

no

flammable. infernal dwarves. high elves flaming shooting.

yes

yes

no

no

yes

yes

yes

sometimes

sometimes

think all elves should be done together. so they can balance the different societies off each other.

vc, wotdg, high elves, dark elves, demons. asklanders

wotdg

28c. Why So?
    preparing for a big tournament.

30. Any final remarks?
    keep up the good work we will get a good book in the end.

O&G Community Supportt

- good bow users
    - treemans
    - seasons of the year as painting army tchemes
    - skirmisher army
    - hail shot which back then was really good, for me at least
    Rewarding army but sometimes incredibly and easily countered
    with nowadays restricted avoidance/shooting - yes
    negative in terms of sylvan elves being weak, not fun to play anymore
    DE being able to be better at msu than woodies. Countered by any autohits. Almost every army have better toys. Sylvans not so speedy and maneuverable anymore.
    Im loyal to sylvans since beggining which started around 7th ed.
    2b. Why so?
    I like the look of the army, the way it play and i like to play hipster stuff.
    Yes.
    Always.
    Yes.
    Around 7.
    Hard to say so, its more or less the same.
    3c. Why so?

In person i know 3 but there is around 10~?
    Not really.
    5c. Why so?
    Unless if he would like to play hard but rewarding army.
    Probably not so fun to play as other armies and could discourage newbie from playing.
    Hard, unforgiving gameplay.
    Impacts in negative manner.
    I dont really care about backround as long as its not ridicoulus aos stuff.
    Not really but this game is not about realistic battle. But i''d like more of hit and run, sweeping mechanics etc.
    - both bows (garbage)
    - dancer kindred (i have no idea why he is not getting ALL the rules of blade dancer unit entry)
    - half the items are garbage including my precious hail shot
    - sylvan longbows rules introduced to every shooting unit
    - being made of glass while costing arm and leg, hard to defend yourself
    - full tree list/monster mash
    - guerilla combats i guess?
    avoidance but restricted to X%
    - msu
    As magical as hbe/de
    below hbe/de, one of the few armies with no additional rules for magic or sources of tokes (apart from treesinging)
    -cosmo
    -div/witch
    -sham
    -druid
    2. They are weak and pricey, almost useless especialy aspects.
    Having to pay load of points on pricey characters for even musican when most others got this for free (ghouls, rat ogres) or just simply acces to musician or just better toys overall.
    - 1. Hail shot imo iconic item
    - 1. Mistwalker mirror hard to use, easy to counter, milion restrictions
    - 2. Both magic bows simply not worth points again with restrictions, stripped from rules (why no qtf on lifeseed?)
    - 3. Helm of the wild hunt - armour enchantmend giving charge dependant bonuses while striping pricy 3W model from real defenses
    No.
    15b. Why so?
    Briar maidens died when moved to unseen arrows.
    On foot bow users.
    16b. Why so?
    I love shooting.
    Treekins.
    16d. Why so?
    Slow, pricy.
    17b. Why so?
    Briar maidens.
    17d. Why so?
    Counting to unseen arrows i guess.
    No.
    18b. Why so?
    Better spend resources on current units.
    - treefather
    - sylvan archers
    - blade dancers
    From time to time maybe.
    19c. Why so?
    Because i like to play hipster stuff and i will play cool stuff no matter how bad it is actually.
    Elite, skirmishing archers.
    20b. Why so?
    Opportunity to create unique unit - for example cc oriented scouts.
    No.
    21b. Which ones?
    No - its other way around. Pyro masters for example.
    No - its other way around. Eos crossbows or cheap bows for example.
    No since they are glass, easy to zone or enemy is as fast as we while being able to withstand charge easily.
    Yes - autohits in any form.
    Yes. Die faster than any other army, cost like elite.
    No if playing on huge infantry blocks which does not really fit sylvans.
    More or less yes.
    No.
    Yes. Single master with enought magic missiles can solo carry game.
    - de, dh better as msu
    - hbe, eos better at shooting
    - literaly anyone got better magic
    - speed/maneuverability too slow nowadays for glass cannons
    Mixed
    Sometimes
    Sometimes
    Bretonian boys.
    Hbe.
    Hbe/de probably.
    28c. Why So?
    Being better elves.
    More than whatnot.
    30. Any final remarks?
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
    Theme / fluff; both the 'green' aspects and the stealthy shooty hunter elements

Yes!

Yes!

Neither

Yes, currently primary

2b. Why so?
    The only army I have, or want

Yes!

Yes!

Yes!

I find this question to be biased towards the northern hemisphere :)
    2/month on average, but all in tournaments every few months

Same? Maybe slightly more?

3c. Why so?
    Real life reasons e.g family, finances, other committments

6 that have played T9A

Yes!

5c. Why so?
    Why not?

* Steep learning curve
    * Vulnerable to bad matchups
    * List design very important - can't always build the list you'd like to play and expect to win

Very

It may discourage people who start an army, stop them from continuing.

N/A not really read them

N/A not really read them

Yes

N/A

General speed / manoeuvrability. Hitting on 2's and wounding on 2's

Constrained list building - hard to find scoring units

* Combat trees
    * Combat elves
    * MSU combat

As above, plus shooting

Druidism
    Shamanism
    Cosmology

N/A

Too many items that I would never want to use

- 1. Banner of Silent Mist
    - 2. Hunter's Honour
    - 3. Sacred Seeds

- 1. Entangling Vines
    - 2. Bough of Wyscan
    - 3. Lifeseed Feathers

Yes

15b. Why so?
    I can play the lists I want to play, seldom feel over constrained. Removing Fleet of Foot was good.

Blade Dancers

16b. Why so?
    Manoeuvrable, powerful, fluffy

Thicket Beasts

16d. Why so?
    Not aligned with the fast playstyle I like.

17b. Why so?

Dryads. Archers. Pathfinders

17d. Why so?
    Price vs value.

Yes

18b. Why so?
    So there are reasons to have non GW models!

1-2

Swarm
    Large Cavalry

Blade Dancers, Pathfinders, Wild Huntsmen

Yes

19c. Why so?
    Fluff is important. Cool models are important.

20b. Why so?

No

21b. Which ones?

Anything that doesn't have shooting.

No

Maybe

Yes! Heavy magic. High armour. Deathstar

Yes

Maybe

Close

Slightly low on the curve

Yes

Maybe DE?

Yes

Yes

Yes

None

N/A

28c. Why So?
    N/A

30. Any final remarks?
    N/A
    Nothing but Sylvan Elves
    The idea of a fast, highly mobile army that is challenging to play well

Yes

Yes

Negative

A very weak army - too many senseless internal restrictions - internal restrictions prevent really cool builds

Yes

2b. Why so?
    I'm heavily invested in my models and in the play style

Yes

Yes

Yes

2x per month

less

3c. Why so?
    It's hard to get excited about playing such a weak army with too many internal restrictions

only myself

dunno

n/a

n/a

n/a

No

5c. Why so?
    The rules are filled with too many senseless restrictions and nonsensical list building + they're a very hard army to play well

Army rules are too complicated + it's an army that requires a lot of finesse

Very

Yes; [i]Army rules are too complicated + it's an army that requires a lot of finesse[/i]

Sure (but I don't really care)

fine

sure

- A lot of the most tactically interesting items (Sacred Seeds, Drums of Cenyrn, Glyph of Amryl, Mist Walker's Mirror, etc.) are limited to specific character builds - limiting "cool" builds on characters that should be highly mobile. Most other armies (especially other elves). Our "good" character builds are very specific and lack variety. The coolest of these push the build into a very booring spear + ranger list... if I want blocks of ranked infantry, literally every other army book does that better.- Treeman 0-1 if the army includes a monster character... this is needlessly limiting and forces the booring "Tree List" - it could easily be changed to something like "SE armies are limited to (3) models with towering presence" to achieve the same effect with less limitation.
    - Wild Hunter Kindred should be able to able to be any mounted character (dragon, eagle)
    - Blade Dancer Kindred should be able to join any unit
    - Thicket Shepard BSB should be able to take an enchanted banner
    - Heath Hunters should only count against Unseen Arrows if Ambushing - otherwise they're punished for being the same as HE or DE light cav. They already count against the 55 longbow cap - that should be restriction enough for non-scoring core light cav.

Theme + the potential for a very fragile, fast-moving, and highly-tactical army (playstyle)

The over-abundance of internal restrictions

Honestly, the Tree List is the only consistently viable tournament list. The fast-cav list is do-able, but very difficult

Ambush (Beasts do it better), Fast Cav., Shooting

Druidism, Shamanism, Witchcraft, Cosmology

Druidism, Witchcraft, Shamanism, Cosmology, Divination, Thaumaturgy

They have too many restrictive rules - otherwise they're cool

- 1. Pathfinder

- 2. Curse of the Black Stag

- 3. Hailshot

- 1. Wild Hunter... It really needs to be usable on an eagle/ dragon

- 2. Drums of Cernyn ... the "models on foot only" means it never gets used

- 3. Sacred Seeds ... [i]the "models on foot only" means it never gets used[/i]

yes

15b. Why so?

Wild Hunters

16b. Why so?

Rangers

16d. Why so?
    Ranked infantry is not what SE should be doing

Wild Hunters

No

Pathfinders
    Wild Hunters
    Sylvan archers

Magic Missiles yes

No

Yes

30. Any final remarks?