Best and Worst Choices in the Book

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

  • Best and Worst Choices in the Book

    So was bored at work and decided to try and come up with what I think the 10 best and worse choices are in the book, heres my list:

    Notes: In general I think the book is in a pretty good place and I did this just for fun and to create discussion.

    TOP 10 Choices

    1 Gnashers
    2 a BSB
    3 Feral Orcs
    4 Git Launchers with Bullies
    5 Feral Orc Eadbashers
    6 King on Gargantula
    7 Shamanism Master
    8 Iron Orcs
    9 Forest Goblins with Spears
    10 Feral Orc Boar Characters

    honourable mentions: Gnasher Chiefs, Iron Orc Cowboy, Chariot Apprentice, Goblin Chariot Chiefs


    WORST 10 Choices

    1 Bigwing Wyverns
    2 Giant with Wrecking Ball
    3 Trolls (all types)
    4 Cave Goblins without Madgits
    5 Common Goblins with spears
    6 Commons Orc Eadbashers
    7 Feral Orc Boar Riders (Core)
    8 Splatterer
    9 Gnasher Dashers
    10 Scrap Wagon

    so what do you think?
  • I agree with your Top 10 100% and for the most part your Worst 10 I agree with except for one pick.

    I recently tried out a unit of 45 cave goblins with shields and mad gits with the relentless banner. It did pretty good. I marched them into my opponent's lines and let the mad gits fly. It did a pretty good job of messing with him though it is 545 points which is pretty expensive for a one trick pony. I also should note I have only played one game with unit so I have very limited experience with it.
  • ItsLewis wrote:

    I agree with your Top 10 100% and for the most part your Worst 10 I agree with except for one pick.

    I recently tried out a unit of 45 cave goblins with shields and mad gits with the relentless banner. It did pretty good. I marched them into my opponent's lines and let the mad gits fly. It did a pretty good job of messing with him though it is 545 points which is pretty expensive for a one trick pony. I also should note I have only played one game with unit so I have very limited experience with it.
    Personally I think madgits are a fair choice, but if you not taking them I don't see why you'd ever pick cave goblins, common goblins are better at shooting and forest goblins are better at fighting. Hence why I said cave goblins without madgits.



    Wesser wrote:

    30 Cave Goblins with nets (Mad Gitz never do squat for 65 apiece) have been doing really well supporting Gnashers and Gnasher Dashers

    I also don't think Gnasher Dashers belong in either Top 10, and the Splatterer gets my vote for being the very worst choice
    Your probs right about Gnasher Dashers and considering how little I have used them its pretty unfair me including them, they are just super expensive. However I couldn't think of anything worse with out going super obscure.
  • Gingersmali wrote:

    ItsLewis wrote:


    I recently tried out a unit of 45 cave goblins with shields and mad gits with the relentless banner. It did pretty good. I marched them into my opponent's lines and let the mad gits fly. It did a pretty good job of messing with him though it is 545 points which is pretty expensive for a one trick pony. I also should note I have only played one game with unit so I have very limited experience with it.
    Personally I think madgits are a fair choice, but if you not taking them I don't see why you'd ever pick cave goblins, common goblins are better at shooting and forest goblins are better at fighting. Hence why I said cave goblins without madgits.


    Wesser wrote:

    30 Cave Goblins with nets (Mad Gitz never do squat for 65 apiece) have been doing really well supporting Gnashers and Gnasher Dashers

    I also don't think Gnasher Dashers belong in either Top 10, and the Splatterer gets my vote for being the very worst choice
    Your probs right about Gnasher Dashers and considering how little I have used them its pretty unfair me including them, they are just super expensive. However I couldn't think of anything worse with out going super obscure.
    My bad. Totally read "with" and not "without" It's been an early morning. lol
  • Gingersmali wrote:

    WORST 10 Choices
    Alright! I love the discussion this thread may foster :D

    I also feel a bit silly, because at the WTC I brought.. 2/10 of the so-called "worst choices" in my list. I didn't regret bringing ant of them for one second. :P

    Gingersmali wrote:

    7 Feral Orc Boar Riders (Core)

    Gingersmali wrote:




    I was the only O&G player in the whole tournament to bring Scrap wagons, and I brought no less than 3 of them. The effect they had on my opponents was astounding. If I got "counter-thrust" and won the roll-off for deploying first, and I wanted to push the opponent back a bit, dropping the scrap wagons (with one flank towards the opponent's deployment zone for dat 1st turn extra inch) easily pushed him back. I generally put them in the centre of each 1/3 of the table (just like the objective markers in "spoils of war"). They are anti-chaff, and the 360* threat range of around 17" creates a huuuuuuge bubble my opponent has to take into account.

    *like dis if u r a knigget and u cri evertim*

    Naturally, I can't rely on them at all, but neither can my opponent. I also don't care if they die, but if they manage to hit something, they can easily kill/rout something worth 3-4x their own value (because no feigned flight / stand and shoot / flee reaction). They also have a somewhat easy time trying to catch nearby fleeing units. They will get shot at, attempted to be magicked away, and so forth. Less shooting on my FlyBoi(tm), Gargantula, Boars, Wrecking Team, etc. They easily become my opponent's worst nightmare. A steal at 85pts. Add the two 3-base units of Grotlings and I am packing some serious speed bumbs and chaff shenanigans.

    TL;DR - Scrap Wagons, that 360* 14-17" Threat zone.

    The 5 Feral Orc Boar Riders with a musician and paired weapons are kewler than people seem to think. 15 attacks with s4 and 5 attacks with s5 on the charge. Sure, they die to shooting and many things, but they won't panic , and can punch through other chaff, grab objectives, etc. They can also die without me feeling sad. 175pts.

    The real MVP's of my list were naturally the Gargantula and FlyBoi(tm) team tagging Gortachs, Krakens, Chariots, the Green Knight, etc.

    Execution Board

    HR Support

    Mr. Gobbo's Tricksy Gits :GobboFreaky:
  • Gingersmali wrote:



    WORST 10 Choices
    7 Feral Orc Boar Riders (Core)
    =O :( ;( :/ :S

    I think these guys are immense :)

    In 15s and 5s both.

    Fast scoring that doesn't panic, and able to do quite a lot of bang for their buck, and a good character delivery system, and super fun unit to use. All in core? I'll take 3 please :D
    Being supportive & giving useful criticism aren't mutually exclusive.
    Are you supportive of the project? Do your posts reflect that?

    List repository and links HERE
    Basic beginners tactics HERE
  • Ten are too many choices. There will be weak options in the top choices and vice versa.

    TOP 5 Choices

    1 Git Launcher
    2 Gargantula
    3 Feral Orcs
    4 Gnashers
    5 Iron Orc Cowboy

    WORST 5 Choices

    1 Wyvern
    2 Trolls
    3 Splatterer
    4 Scrap Wagon
    5 Giant with wrecking ball

    This is considering my playstyle in team tournaments. There may be differences for others. I find the internal balance good and specially in the core choices.
  • Mr.Gobbo wrote:

    Gingersmali wrote:

    7 Feral Orc Boar Riders (Core)

    Gingersmali wrote:


    The 5 Feral Orc Boar Riders with a musician and paired weapons are kewler than people seem to think. 15 attacks with s4 and 5 attacks with s5 on the charge. Sure, they die to shooting and many things, but they won't panic , and can punch through other chaff, grab objectives, etc. They can also die without me feeling sad. 175pts.

    DanT wrote:

    Gingersmali wrote:

    WORST 10 Choices
    7 Feral Orc Boar Riders (Core)
    =O :( ;( :/ :S
    I think these guys are immense :)

    In 15s and 5s both.

    Fast scoring that doesn't panic, and able to do quite a lot of bang for their buck, and a good character delivery system, and super fun unit to use. All in core? I'll take 3 please :D
    @DanT I should have known you'd come to the boars boys defence, I haven't run them as much as you so I'm sure you know better.

    My experiences with them have been very mixed, 5 have taken down 3 chosen knights before but in general I find them to be suboptimal. I personally think we have better core choices, and the Eadbasher versions bring so much for +10pts for the units of 5 (+1OS+1DS+1S+1Disp) . As a character delivery system, or a cheap scoring unit I would go common orc, better armour, can flee and no frenzy tests. I haven't tried the big unit out much, but it wasn't working for me, then again some units work differently if you have 3+ units rather than just one.


    Mr.Gobbo wrote:

    Gingersmali wrote:

    WORST 10 Choice
    *like dis if u r a knigget and u cri evertim*

    Naturally, I can't rely on them at all, but neither can my opponent. I also don't care if they die, but if they manage to hit something, they can easily kill/rout something worth 3-4x their own value (because no feigned flight / stand and shoot / flee reaction). They also have a somewhat easy time trying to catch nearby fleeing units. They will get shot at, attempted to be magicked away, and so forth. Less shooting on my FlyBoi(tm), Gargantula, Boars, Wrecking Team, etc. They easily become my opponent's worst nightmare. A steal at 85pts. Add the two 3-base units of Grotlings and I am packing some serious speed bumbs and chaff shenanigans.

    TL;DR - Scrap Wagons, that 360* 14-17" Threat zone.

    Maybe I will have to give them another go myself, while running 3 for target saturation. My experiences have been very disappointing, getting shot off, failing to make it in by 1", and then dying for free or worse giving juicy overruns, or going in dyign and giving a free reform. These seem to be how they go down in my games. Thanks for the insights, will have to try them as a 1st wave throwaway unit.
  • Gingersmali wrote:

    @DanT I should have known you'd come to the boars boys defence, I haven't run them as much as you so I'm sure you know better.
    My experiences with them have been very mixed, 5 have taken down 3 chosen knights before but in general I find them to be suboptimal. I personally think we have better core choices, and the Eadbasher versions bring so much for +10pts for the units of 5 (+1OS+1DS+1S+1Disp) . As a character delivery system, or a cheap scoring unit I would go common orc, better armour, can flee and no frenzy tests. I haven't tried the big unit out much, but it wasn't working for me, then again some units work differently if you have 3+ units rather than just one.

    I think that ferals are better in core (3+ isn't that much better than 4+) and common eadbashers are better than feral eadbashers (2+ is that much better than 4+).
    The flee thing is a double edged sword: 5 common orc boars in core panic very easily, so are less reliable to hold an objective.

    Thus, my suggestion would be:
    (A) If you want a core character delivery/medium flanking unit, take 15 feral boars.
    (B) If you want a better, non core, character delivery system/medium fighting unit, take 15 common orc eadbasher boars.
    (C) I agree that units of 15 boars are better if you have 2-3 of them, but I think a single is not terrible if coherent with the rest of the list.
    (D) Units of 5 feral orc boars are a very points efficient core choice, in almost any list style, for hanging around on an objective or being a throw away unit. But, if doing the objective thing, you might need to hold them back early on, until you have engaged the enemy battleline or created a pocket for them to advance in, so there is nothing to frenzy bait them.
    Being supportive & giving useful criticism aren't mutually exclusive.
    Are you supportive of the project? Do your posts reflect that?

    List repository and links HERE
    Basic beginners tactics HERE