How to grow 9th Age - Thoughts of a 20+ years competitive gamer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Pellegrim wrote:

Grouchy Badger wrote:

It would behoove you to not take 1d4chan seriously. Its a satirical site more than informational.
    There is way to much detailed information on there to write is off as satirical only.. Someone went through all 9th Age released pieces an summerised it... wow
    Of course, not ALL satirical, but the site is mainly satirical and pokes fun at things, and even writes some things wrong on purpose to provoke humor. 4chan is in the name, after all.
    I am going to offend you. You are not going to like it. You will survive.

Chaotic Neutral
    youtube.com/channel/UCJ9e5C1f26iuvhOA33rsFJQ

Model Reviews with Twice the Brain Injuries!
  • i'll leave the other questions to other forum members, i'll take question one, and answer by asking another question:

have you downloaded and read the QS?

the point is essentially that you only need to read 20 pages and you're ready to play something that plays exactly like T9A (and nothing like KoW or AoS), apart of course from a few minor details.

click the logo and reach the KickStarter page!
  • three days ago me and my friend playing "lured" a d&d player who never saw a miniature game in his life.
    i explained the game, the volunteering thingy, the free stuff. he was mostly interested in narrative content more than competitive, and probably he was just interested in that moment , but it was nice and relaxing explaining him the concept.
    we never got tired of telling him that to learn the game he need:
    - to read army book entirely
    - give a read to rulebook
    - have a tutor for the first 2months
  • piteglio wrote:

i'll leave the other questions to other forum members, i'll take question one, and answer by asking another question:

the point is essentially that you only need to read 20 pages and you're ready to play something that plays exactly like T9A (and nothing like KoW or AoS), apart of course from a few minor details.
    What for? I don't want to read other 20 pages & play something that plays exactly like... I'm playing t9A. QS is interesting for some new players but the way they can find it out is a real mystery for me(
  • QS is an excellent tool for introducing 8-12 yearolds into the hobby.

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

Team Croatia ETC 2019 Captain ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HEROES AND VILLEINS OF THE 9TH AGE
  • Porw wrote:

piteglio wrote:

i'll leave the other questions to other forum members, i'll take question one, and answer by asking another question:

What for? I don't want to read other 20 pages & play something that plays exactly like... I'm playing t9A. QS is interesting for some new players but the way they can find it out is a real mystery for me(

answer to both of your comments:

you read the book so you can use it to teach the game in one hour to the new players.
    the book is obviously NOT meant for people who already master T9A:FB.
    and, as has been said multiple times by multiple people, if you really want to help T9A grow, go out and teach the game.

we give you a knife, we tell you to go stab some basterds, and you don't even look at the knife, come tell us that the knife isn't sharp enough, and complain that them basterds arent killing themselves to make your life easier.
    if i were you, i'd take the bloody knife, go stab some bloody basterds. that's the manly thing to do.

Pellegrim wrote:

@piteglio buddy I agree with PorW here, I think one shouldn't expect players who are experienced with / enjoy 9th Age to dive into a lighter ruleset - good as it may be.

Reading the book makes met wonder where page 37 and up are?

again, you miss the point.
    i don't want T9A veterans to stop play FB and fall in love with the QS.
    i want them to be a tiny little bit less egocentric, print 20 bloody pages, keep them ready, and use them to show a simple game to the newcomers.

as DJW said (and i said, and many other people said), the advanced rules are in the making.
    they've been in the making for a long time because i had to quit the QS team in order to start a company, and DJW can't do all the bloody work on his own, especially if he has to come to this thread and defend the QS from accusations of people who haven't even read it.

i hope you will all pardon me the snarky comment,
    but if this is how you guys UNDERSTAND the situation,
    i am not entirely sure i'd want you to EXPLAIN the game.

so read the QS,
    or don't.

click the logo and reach the KickStarter page!
  • Porw wrote:

What for? I don't want to read other 20 pages & play something that plays exactly like... I'm playing t9A.
    I believe it is important statement to take into consideration. Even if somewhat rough one. If you were spending resources to create a new game you could create a game that would offer a new experience for existing players. The whole marketing on QS as 'subgame for beginners' makes it uninteresting for existing players.
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
    _____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
    Or my WoT EU clan:
    The Ninth Army
  • piteglio wrote:

print 20 bloody pages, keep them ready, and use them to show a simple game to the newcomers
    Amen!

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

Team Croatia ETC 2019 Captain ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HEROES AND VILLEINS OF THE 9TH AGE
  • Shukran wrote:

- to read army book entirely
    A few pages of light reading
    - give a read to rulebook
    A few pages of reading that has an actual index
    - have a tutor for the first 2months
    You dont need a tutor, you just play the game and learn and then ask questions on the forum if need be
    I am going to offend you. You are not going to like it. You will survive.

Chaotic Neutral
    youtube.com/channel/UCJ9e5C1f26iuvhOA33rsFJQ

Model Reviews with Twice the Brain Injuries!
  • JimMorr wrote:

Porw wrote:

What for? I don't want to read other 20 pages & play something that plays exactly like... I'm playing t9A.
    I believe it is important statement to take into consideration. Even if somewhat rough one. If you were spending resources to create a new game you could create a game that would offer a new experience for existing players. The whole marketing on QS as 'subgame for beginners' makes it uninteresting for existing players.
    Only if getting new players into your T9A games isn't interesting out of a players perspective. If it's true, I guess playing T9A against yourself seems to be A LOT of fun, aye? Maybe there are too many T9A players right now. Maybe they would realize the Qickstarters real value, if they couldn't choose whom to face next week. But if we, as staff members, can't manage to get in new players, because it is out of our reach and if our players don't want to promote the system as well, because 20 pages are too much to read...well, I guess then the community will have to face the problem themselves at some point in the future.

This all might sounds quite depressive, though I'm not depressed at all. I just wanted to point out, there COULD be a problem in the future, which we can/need to solve RIGHT NOW. That's it!

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

• Porw wrote:

piteglio wrote:

If it plays exactly like T9A, maybe the reading of those extra pages aren't for you as a veteran but instead for a newbie to quickly get up to speed, but leave room for added complexities/depth for the full rules?

Depending on how similar the rules are the QS should just require a quick look at the army sheets for a veteran player to see which extra layers of complexities have been shaved off for a particular unit and then start playing.

P.S. To be honest, I haven't read both rulesets in enough detail to know how much difference there is between QS and FB, but alot of the talk concerning QS/FB make them seem like entirely different games. My apologies if I have contributed to people seeing it that way with previous posts if that's not the case.
  • JimMorr wrote:

Nah, more like:

On a more serious note: tellin' the community to spread the word for the QS to get new players into the game reminds me on the discussions I have with my two boys, who are at the age of 7 and 9, regarding their homework...they don't care, when I tell 'em they're not doing it for me, but for themselves in the end. Seems this phenomenon is not connected to childhood only...

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

• I allways tell my boys, they don't do the homework for me, but for them and for their parents ... and that it is no problem if they forgot something, they can allways do the missing things instead of sport, freetime, filmviewing, etc ...

Advisary Board Member

Workfields: Tournament Analysis, Army Community Support, Playtesting, Community Engagement, Translation/ United Nations DE Blog: Inside TA. The biggest german Tabletop Board: tabletopwelt.de
  • I would like just three things, to make my life spreading the hobby 100 times easier:

1) The website.
    2) The legendary edition rulebook (I'll print copies myself).
    3) Fluff.

Also, if possible...

4) Stop tweaking the army books once they hit Legendary phase. The meta will shift no matter what, all this "one point here, ten points there" makes any printing futile. If you still want to tweak legendary books, put the lists OUTSIDE.

Regarding what the QS is or isn't, of if there are tons of fluff released or not... try to think the other way around: if people who stalk the forums as often as some of the members here don't have the slightest idea of what you're selling/advertising/promoting, then I might very well dare to say that you need better marketing tools.
    LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO PAINT YOUR MINIATURES EASY AND FAST WITH A NO-BRAINER TECHNIQUE:
    :mentalist: youtube.com/c/MiguelGarciaFernandez :mentalist:
  • This game need named characters, not necessarily in the game, but in it's fluff. I barely touched War Hammer's fluff, but even I knew Teclis, Mazimundi, Karl Franz, King Leoncouer, the Van Kar Steins, Malikeith and his Mum, Queek Headtaker, and my personal absolute all time fave: Kholek Suneater. I knew a rough smattering about each of them, but enough to grab on to. Aside from the gods of the Ninth Age, I have noooooooooooo idea who I'm working for, or what a paragon of my army would be. Again, I'm not asking to play one, just hear a little bit about a couple stand oout (and i mean stand out) individuals per army. That stuff really helps haul people in.
  • Persedious wrote:

This game need named characters, not necessarily in the game, but in it's fluff. I barely touched War Hammer's fluff, but even I knew Teclis, Mazimundi, Karl Franz, King Leoncouer, the Van Kar Steins, Malikeith and his Mum, Queek Headtaker, and my personal absolute all time fave: Kholek Suneater. I knew a rough smattering about each of them, but enough to grab on to. Aside from the gods of the Ninth Age, I have noooooooooooo idea who I'm working for, or what a paragon of my army would be. Again, I'm not asking to play one, just hear a little bit about a couple stand oout (and i mean stand out) individuals per army. That stuff really helps haul people in.
    This link might be interesting for you:

the-ninth-age.fandom.com/wiki/The_9th_Wiki

;)

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support