How to grow 9th Age - Thoughts of a 20+ years competitive gamer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• The German team leader is Just_Flo and he's in the PM but he may have missed it, he works in so much teams...

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
  • Eru wrote:

The German team leader is Just_Flo and he's in the PM but he may have missed it, he works in so much teams...

sure thing, manpower is all we need, so thanks Eldan for spotting the issue and volunteering to contribute!

talking about translations, any reason why the italian QS is not uploaded? it has even been available before the english version! : D
    i like how the new site gives ample visibility to the QS, so it'd be nice to have it ready for download for the other available language(s).

other than that, i love the new looks. i am sure it'll help draw more people in. great job you guys!

very minor comment: could we have the sword and seal logo at the top of the forum homepage redirect to the main new project page?

click the logo and reach the KickStarter page!
  • Well, the website has renewed a great deal of my faith. So much so, that I spotted the donations button and decided to let loose some euros for the project. It is great to see that front page, to remind us we can also put money if we lack other means of supporting it.

Thanks for it! Awesome work!
    LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO PAINT YOUR MINIATURES EASY AND FAST WITH A NO-BRAINER TECHNIQUE:
    :mentalist: youtube.com/c/MiguelGarciaFernandez :mentalist:
  • Atm we're at the peak of player activation in the Netherlands, with small drips coming in still, but saturation is close. There are 16 tournaments in the country yearly, and we're close to Belgium and West-Germany. There are 5/6 local communities, but they are fragile still.

To grow, the following would actively contribute:
    • Store presence would be best by far (though only viable is all books would be for sale, plus mini-ranges)
    • Growth / birth of Clubs, preferably during times with exposure to target audience
    • Media coverage
    In short, 9th Age needs to get commercialized.
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • I think one of the things that would most help grow and sustain the game is much friendlier and more reasonable forums.

I was at a casual gaming day yesterday with ~10 9th age players, and most of them had almost nothing good to say about how most people behave on this forum.

I would not be surprised at all if the tone and nature of this forum has prevented some people from starting 9th age, and/or preventing some areas from reaching critical mass.
    Being supportive & giving useful criticism aren't mutually exclusive.
    Are you supportive of the project? Do your posts reflect that?

List repository and links HERE
    Basic beginners tactics HERE
  • YeahGucciFrisur wrote:

but i think you´re right. 1 million opinions with no company or paid development team to direct the chaos lead to this situation.

has there ever been an attempt to crowdfund a dedicated team for the rulebook/rule development/armybooks and/or marketing?
    Woah woah, that is not what I am saying at all.

I am against adding any money into the current structure (not least because that is the founders' call, no-one else's, and last time anyone asked they didn't want it).

I am against the tone, attitude and behaviour in generality on these forums, by community and (generally lower level) some staff too.
    It puts so many people off using the forums and getting involved.

I have a lot of time and respect for the top echelons of the project (even if I don't always agree with their decisions) and I think many of the changes/processes brought in over the last 12months have substantially reduced how chaotic things are.
    Being supportive & giving useful criticism aren't mutually exclusive.
    Are you supportive of the project? Do your posts reflect that?

List repository and links HERE
    Basic beginners tactics HERE
  • DanT wrote:

I think one of the things that would most help grow and sustain the game is much friendlier and more reasonable forums.

I was at a casual gaming day yesterday with ~10 9th age players, and most of them had almost nothing good to say about how most people behave on this forum.

I would not be surprised at all if the tone and nature of this forum has prevented some people from starting 9th age, and/or preventing some areas from reaching critical mass.
    Ah your great frustration; getting old tho. I think you are partially right. I know many who shun this forum due to "superiority complex" staff reactions on their posts. Ran right off. One quit the hobby actually.

But that is no major factor in growth atm. To really grow, at least in our country, its the things said in post 352. It's on the ground presencez preferably shops, or gamenights in indy shops. Interactions with the possible fanbase
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • well, we are planning to bring T9A to a 200.000 people boardgaming convention next month, with demo games and free goodies. so stuff is moving, also outside of the forum life. that could help a lot with friendly outreach.

if you wanna join in and lend a hand, anybody's help will be appreciated!

• Pellegrim wrote:

DanT wrote:

I think one of the things that would most help grow and sustain the game is much friendlier and more reasonable forums.

Ah your great frustration; getting old tho. I think you are partially right. I know many who shun this forum due to "superiority complex" staff reactions on their posts. Ran right off. One quit the hobby actually.
    But that is no major factor in growth atm. To really grow, at least in our country, its the things said in post 352. It's on the ground presencez preferably shops, or gamenights in indy shops. Interactions with the possible fanbase
    I belive you might have missunderstood DanT.

He seems to have meant the whole board including to a smaller degree staff not the staff alone.

Advisary Board Member

Workfields: Tournament Analysis, Army Community Support, Playtesting, Community Engagement, Translation/ United Nations DE Blog: Inside TA. The biggest german Tabletop Board: tabletopwelt.de
  • since we mention outreach and visibility, i thought i'd quote this post here (hope you dont mind me spamming).
    this could be a golden opportunity for The Ninth Age, so if you want to give us your help, don't hesitate.
    i agree that the internet can be a toxic place, but we can also find people with great ideas and energies!
    if you want to leave the bench and get engaged in the field, just let us know. everybody's help is appreciated!

piteglio wrote:

source: brettspiel-news.de

help us show T9A to the world!

- what is this?
    the largest boardgame convention in the world, with 200.00 expected visitors
    Veil of the Ages paid for a stand there, and will make it available for T9A demo games!

- when and where is this?
    October 24-27th, in Essen (Germany)
    between Düsseldorf and Dortmund, reasonably close to Belgium and the Netherlands too

- why should i participate?
    we often say we need to advertise our game, expand beyond the forum.
    this is the perfect occasion to do this! let's share our beloved hobby!

- what can i do to help?
    there's SO MUCH you can help us with!
    game demonstrators: bring your armies and your good mood, and play an intro game with visitors, or play a regular game with some other friend from the community
    material supporter: help us with the tables, terrain and equipment we need for the stand
    beauty contesters: bring your gorgeous miniatures and let everybody admire them
    outreach heroes: let your friends know about the event, spread the word!
    logistics angels: if you live around Essen, help us find viable accommodation and transport solutions
    charming flâneurs: just show up and have a chat and a laugh with us!

- what will i find at the stand?
    one 180x120 table, to play regular T9A: Fantasy Battles games
    one 90x120 table, to play T9A: QuickStarter
    one 90x120 table, to play the introductory games from Veil of the Ages
    one cabinet to showcase beautiful miniatures (emphasising scratchbuilt and kitbashed, but not only)

- how can i sign up as a T9A volunteer?
    simply reply to this post. if you prefer doing things privately, send me a Private Message on this forum.
    if you don't have a forum account (and if you dont want to create one), contact me on facebook: Veil of the Ages

reposted from first post

and here is the original thread, where you can sign up for helping us:
    [Veil of the Ages] The Ninth Age @ Essen SPIEL

cheers,
    f