How to grow 9th Age - Thoughts of a 20+ years competitive gamer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• piteglio wrote:

well, we are planning to bring T9A to a 200.000 people boardgaming convention next month, with demo games and free goodies. so stuff is moving, also outside of the forum life. that could help a lot with friendly outreach.

if you wanna join in and lend a hand, anybody's help will be appreciated!
    cool, I have started work on a undead boardgame set loosly in T9A world.

Also Crisis is a great event, but its next to impossible to get a spot there. Same as Salute, for a mainly unknown company as mine.
  • yes, big events like Spiel Essen, Salute, Crisis, GenCon are quite demanding, i agree.

since i'll probably have a cabinet display, i wouldnt mind showcasing some of your products. for example, you could ship me a few painted miniatures and a plaque with your logo. i wouldnt sell them of course, I'd just tell visitors they can go to your website and buy from there. if you are interested, i'm always happy to have a chat, as you already know!

cheers,
    f
  • small update on the demo games at Spiel:

mighty warriors are coming from the cold north (well, in real life, it's actually from the flat northwest) ; )
    i can hear their drums and their horns. barbarians, and wargs, and giants.
    they come to bring snow and blood onto the folks of Essen.
    a mighty Asklander force ready for battle.
    who is brave enough to face them?

it seems we'll have a full Asklander force available for demo games at the Spiel convention!
    i can't think of a better way to showcase the originality of T9A. i'm thrilled!
    does anybody want to offer support, and bring to Essen a beautiful army?
  • Endymon wrote:

That's why I personally enjoy KoW 2nd a lot. The rules are clearly written and you're able to find easily what you're searching for.
    Whenever we play T9A we're searching through a book which is indeed great...but sometimes things are not clear and not easy to find.
    Might be about time to re-work the rulebook.

it is true that for my day job i work on things like anaphora resolution, and i must be excessively attentive to this type of issues, but:
    what exactly do you mean by that? i looked in the last three pages of this thread, and didnt seem to find anything related to rules clarity. if you were referring directly to the Original Post, well, there's a risk the answer to your concerns has already been given in the 20 pages of arguments made so far...

also, if you are enjoying KoW, then you probably like games with a lower complexity threshold than T9A Fantasy Battles. you should try out the appropriate T9A product for this style of game, which is the T9A QuickStarter.

finally, it has become clear after several statements that the main rulebook can not and should not be reworked because both community and companies have asked for some stability. we cant put books in stores if they change every month. moreover, the steep learning curve is dealt with through videotutorial and official supplements like the one on T9A rules via images. but more importantly, as i said above, you might be looking at the wrong product for your needs. people who play T9A FB are people who actively enjoy the intricate web of tactical and strategic challenges that come from a layered rulebook. if you are looking for "unambiguous" games, you should probably invest half hour of your time and have a look at the QS instead.

but as always, this is just my opinion. and, other than that, welcome to the forum! : )
  • There could easily be a "readable" version of the rulebook, with the caveat that it would be "subservient" to the existing rulebook (the existing book would therefore essentially become a comprehensive reference guide).

The primary issue is a lack of volunteer time, because the LABs (rightly in my view) are being prioritised.

I am sure that such a readable book could be developed if enough people joined the staff to make it happen, as long as said volunteers were prepared to do it in line with how the project envisaged (rather than fighting anything that wasn't in line with their personal envisagement of what said book should be).

If they were prepared to do so, my hunch would be that ~4 volunteers could produce this book in a matter of months with the project's blessing.

Don't all volunteer at once.
    Being supportive & giving useful criticism aren't mutually exclusive.
    Are you supportive of the project? Do your posts reflect that?

List repository and links HERE
    Basic beginners tactics HERE
  • given the time has passed since we last talked about this and the progress made, i'm not sure about the "easily" part, unless we emphasise the "could" part first...
    at any rate, i know that some staff members had plans about this, and that JimMorr has shared at least a few initial pages in this direction. given the current staff problems, it seems that if "documents for easy learning" can be done, it's rather through non-official products (and youtube channels, and company support).
  • What I showed is a mock-up. I am not a DTP prof and I am using freeware to do this. When (IF) kickstarter is done on base of this mock-up someone with some skill will do a proper layout and proper figures will be prepared. I intend also to hire a someone with experience in editing game rules to help polishing the materials, too.
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
    _____________Current goals:
    • Launch crowdfunding campaign to publish The IXth Age Legendary rulebook in Hardcover
    • Convert and paint army of Ogres for my son
  • @piteglio
    Well... how many people asked to join the staff to do this since it was last discussed?
    That's the key issue.

I did actually start looking at, but ran into some software issues that were gonna take more time to fix than I could spare.
    If I can solve those, I think I can do most of the work in a relatively short period of time, and I will endeavour to do so if I get chance to fix the software issue.

• I have not had time to read everything and maybe someone has already said what I am going to say.

For me, as an artist, what would help attract players and develop the 9th age would be a general concrete fluff. A kind of frame as there was one in warhammer as well as a precise dating. But also a complete fluff for each factions. That is to say, a story connected with the general fluff, a precise history, characters fixed and described as kings or queens and other special characters, the description of the main cities and each region of different empires.
    Illustrations for each army. A strong visual that catches the eye.
    There are also projects such as It's time for Africa ! and It's time for Arctica ! that introduce new factions such as Kegiz Gavem – the Ethiopian Dwarves of Light, Hetmanate of Ukray (Kislev for T9A) and Ice Elves, keepers of the Sky-Tree and others... Help us to finalize these projects because they offer a 9th age identity and an obvious differentiation with warhammer.
    here
    Hoping to have helped.
    Cheers

Hugo
  • HKYUGOK wrote:

I have not had time to read everything and maybe someone has already said what I am going to say.

For me, as an artist, what would help attract players and develop the 9th age would be a general concrete fluff. A kind of frame as there was one in warhammer as well as a precise dating. But also a complete fluff for each breed. That is to say, a story related to the general plot, a precise history, characters fixed and described as kings or queens and other special characters, the description of the main cities and each region of different empires.
    There are also projects such as It's time for Africa ! and It's time for Arctica ! that introduce new factions such as Kegiz Gavem – the Ethiopian Dwarves of Light, Hetmanate of Ukray (Kislev for T9A) and Ice Elves, keepers of the Sky-Tree and others... Help us to finalize these projects because they offer a 9th age identity and an obvious differentiation with warhammer.
    here
    Hoping to have helped.
    Cheers

Hugo
    What do you think of the WotDG and DL FABs?

• DanT wrote:

@piteglio
    Well... how many people asked to join the staff to do this since it was last discussed?
    That's the key issue...

i absolutely agree. things get doable only if people roll their sleeves up and get the stuff done. sadly it's easier to find people willing to put items on somebody's else to-do list, than volunteers to see the list as their own and start ticking them items off...
  • For me rule complexity is not a problem, I like the linked PDF for the rulebook, it just needs more links. Just for a paper version that of course will not work. When playing Quickstarter I always need to watch out for things I think are there but are not, as a game it is very good though.

All I can say to the topic of volunteers is that I am always very happy when I get help with the library.

HKYUGOK wrote:

I have not had time to read everything and maybe someone has already said what I am going to say.

For me, as an artist, what would help attract players and develop the 9th age would be a general concrete fluff. A kind of frame as there was one in warhammer as well as a precise dating. But also a complete fluff for each factions. That is to say, a story connected with the general fluff, a precise history, characters fixed and described as kings or queens and other special characters, the description of the main cities and each region of different empires.
    here
    Hoping to have helped.
    Cheers

Hugo
    :thumbsup:
  • Silly question maybe, but... does anyone actually buy the current rule books in print? Like, bound copies, in a store?

Because the are just black and white PDFs with numbers and text. I'll buy a book if it's illustrated and designed, to get it in better quality than my home printer (or tablet/smart phone/laptop, these days) can provide, and for leisure reading. So I'd buy the LABs in print. But why the current short books?
    A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

"Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "
  • I print things out for myself become I'm a Luddite and like having physical copies.

After the next points update I will also seek somewhere I get a nice printing of the WotDG LAB to read.

• piteglio wrote:

DanT wrote:

@piteglio
    That's the key issue...
    i absolutely agree. things get doable only if people roll their sleeves up and get the stuff done. sadly it's easier to find people willing to put items on somebody's else to-do list, than volunteers to see the list as their own and start ticking them items off...
    Let's give it some time, shall we. I'm sure people will start to offer their services real soon to, um someone.

• piteglio wrote:

it is true that for my day job i work on things like anaphora resolution, and i must be excessively attentive to this type of issues, but:
    what exactly do you mean by that? i looked in the last three pages of this thread, and didnt seem to find anything related to rules clarity. if you were referring directly to the Original Post, well, there's a risk the answer to your concerns has already been given in the 20 pages of arguments made so far...

also, if you are enjoying KoW, then you probably like games with a lower complexity threshold than T9A Fantasy Battles. you should try out the appropriate T9A product for this style of game, which is the T9A QuickStarter.

finally, it has become clear after several statements that the main rulebook can not and should not be reworked because both community and companies have asked for some stability. we cant put books in stores if they change every month. moreover, the steep learning curve is dealt with through videotutorial and official supplements like the one on T9A rules via images. but more importantly, as i said above, you might be looking at the wrong product for your needs. people who play T9A FB are people who actively enjoy the intricate web of tactical and strategic challenges that come from a layered rulebook. if you are looking for "unambiguous" games, you should probably invest half hour of your time and have a look at the QS instead.

but as always, this is just my opinion. and, other than that, welcome to the forum! : )
    I replied to the first posting.

But besides that T9A isn't really complex, it's all about knowing the rules (better then your enemy), throwing some dies, positioning and gambling with probabilities.

It's the way the rules are presented which is complex and not as clear as intented. Which is a bit lame - especially because you usually don't win by strategy but knowing the rules better - even on occasional tournaments.
  • Endymon wrote:

piteglio wrote:

But besides that T9A isn't really complex, it's all about knowing the rules (better then your enemy), throwing some dies, positioning and gambling with probabilities.

It's the way the rules are presented which is complex and not as clear as intented. Which is a bit lame - especially because you usually don't win by strategy but knowing the rules better - even on occasional tournaments.

Yea.... but No. definitely not. Knowing the rules is important in any game, but with our strategy you cant win.
  • Endymon wrote:

oh, thanks for clarifying, my bad.

i agree that knowing the rules makes a big difference. but i'll side up with Kanadian here: you usually don't win just because you know the rules, at least when you play with other people who also know the rules. in my experience, in terms of importance, from low to high, this would be my ranking:

dice >> strategy > rules knowledge >>> tactics

tactics are so much more important than rules, strategy, dice, mood, astral alignment, number of cats in the flat, amount of pizza eaten, quantity of empty wodka bottles on the battlefield, background music, shoes you're wearing, and just about anything else : )
  • Eldan wrote:

Silly question maybe, but... does anyone actually buy the current rule books in print? Like, bound copies, in a store?

Because the are just black and white PDFs with numbers and text. I'll buy a book if it's illustrated and designed, to get it in better quality than my home printer (or tablet/smart phone/laptop, these days) can provide, and for leisure reading. So I'd buy the LABs in print. But why the current short books?
    The same reason I use hardcopy catalogues at work when there are PDF's available.

I like tactile things. My brain works better navigating them.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger