Pinned Models for Daemon Legions

• Models

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have been planning my new DL army and the biggest issue for me is selecting models for the core choices. I would like to use non-GW stuff and I find the options are quite limited. There are a bunch of options for the bigger deamons, but not as many for the rank and file troops. I have send e-mails to Avatars of War, to Shieldwolf Miniatures and to Scibor Miniatures. AoW said that weren't planning any R&F troops and Shieldwolf Miniatures said that the demand for DL mini's wasn't high enough. Maybe if more of us ask for such R&F daemons, they would produce them. They send a prototype picture as well. Scibor hasn't responded yet, but to be fair I only e-mailed him yesterday.

Maybe there is stuff out there that I haven't considered yet. Please let em know if you have any suggestions.

• @Wijkert If we try to ignore GW alltogether (As to not look at different factions than daemons from their ranges) AoW, Shieldwolf and scibor are wellknown names on the market.

We have momminiaturas who are currently doing a kickstarter I believe which contains some DL miniatures

Their work can be viewed from facebook.

We also have Mantic games with their kings of war line. They have armies for DL such as Forces of the abyss

They also have lines such as Nightstalkers, a bit more lovecraftian daemons.

Then there is raging heroes which talks to the oldschool slaanesh enthusiasts.

Titan forge has some options for the book aswell even if limited

Mierce miniatures has some options aswell even if not for the 25x25mm figures

Those are some more companies that I could think of on the top of my head
  • Wijkert wrote:

AoW said that weren't planning any R&F troops and Shieldwolf Miniatures said that the demand for DL mini's wasn't high enough
    I found this interesting, I wonder why that is? Maybe the army isnt popular enough so that there arent enough customers? Or that there is too wide of an army theme so its hard for companies to grasp what to create? Maybe its because of the overall loose theme and vision that the player base have for their daemons that doesnt make it profitable? I mean many use whatever models they want and just paint them differently or do a headswap, so there arent really a specific theme that a company can try to profit from since its not strongly enforced by rules and fluff.
  • But perhaps this is an actual problem for DL? Since the faction in itself is so model agnostic there are little room for companies to try and cater to the DL playerbase and gauge what they would want.
    Compared to armies with a really solid identity (even if they arent in FAB even) we have KoE, HbE, DH and ID for example.
    Ive seen discussions done between their respektive communities and the Company where things went down to the most miniscule details. About position, size and form or heraldry. Angles of the edge on axes and the details of helmets (plumes, lenghts and how much of faces is shown) clear identity signs such as curly beards and large hats. And where the armys most strong themes comes from, viking styled tied to smithing and stone.

Where I can understand the unwillingness to venture Into creating a DL force for a company. Where we as a community are showing of our creativity to get around the model shortage on the market by showing what we have done with saurus warriors, DE models or other humanoids. There was never a need for the project to support us in our creativity by making the faction agnostic in design, people would still have done their own things as they have always done (like they did even under GW).
    But being agnostic by design might actually come back and bite us now? Since we dont have a strong identity to create from for a company.
  • Thanks for the thorough reply @Kapten Kluns. I should have mentioned that I also looked at Mierce (I always do ;)). As you said they don't specialize in R&F troops, but are the highest tier when it comes to center pieces. Titan forge I also looked at. I like their Pirate Ogres, but not so much there daemon range (it is small anyway), except for Descendants of Decay you linked to as well. Mantic is another option. The quality of the sculpts is not that high, but neither is the price. I might to reconsider them again. Either that or go with a more lusty looking myrmidons from raging heroes. Those would fit the look of the army better, if I also buy death dancers (representing succubi).

EDIT: very cool to see that MOM are working on a daemon range. I have checked there FB page and am a little worried that the project is on hold. Those pictures where posted 1-2 years ago. I will send them a e-mail as well and report back.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wijkert ().

• NP @Wijkert looking forward to if you get them to respond.
    The more I Think about it the more im certain that a strong iconic design for DL would have been superior in attracting companies. I mean there are many smaller companies mimicking looks from GW. Classic nurgle and slaanesh designs comes to mind as being more unique amongst daemons and there is atleast some companies building their lines on a similar theme. This even shows stronger for other factions.
  • Kapten Kluns wrote:

But perhaps this is an actual problem for DL? Since the faction in itself is so model agnostic there are little room for companies to try and cater to the DL playerbase and gauge what they would want.
    Compared to armies with a really solid identity (even if they arent in FAB even) we have KoE, HbE, DH and ID for example.
    Ive seen discussions done between their respektive communities and the Company where things went down to the most miniscule details. About position, size and form or heraldry. Angles of the edge on axes and the details of helmets (plumes, lenghts and how much of faces is shown) clear identity signs such as curly beards and large hats. And where the armys most strong themes comes from, viking styled tied to smithing and stone.

Where I can understand the unwillingness to venture Into creating a DL force for a company. Where we as a community are showing of our creativity to get around the model shortage on the market by showing what we have done with saurus warriors, DE models or other humanoids. There was never a need for the project to support us in our creativity by making the faction agnostic in design, people would still have done their own things as they have always done (like they did even under GW).
    But being agnostic by design might actually come back and bite us now? Since we dont have a strong identity to create from for a company.
    Seems likely a big part of the issue. Aside from GW minis, have you seen more than 2 identical DL armies in terms of identical base miniatures?

The split from the GW 4 to the T9A 7 is also quite an obstacle. And, in a broader capacity, I think the DL fluff/rules are the least compatible with their WHFB equivalent of all the T9A factions. Not complaining, just pointing it out - it would matter when designing models meant to be sold to players of both games.
  • its a catch 22 thing, I would have preferred a stronger hand in the guidelines how entries was described and portrayed but due to a lack of contributing artist the project could not really enforce this both due to lack of man hours to oversee it and plan it but also to sort of not put artist off contributing. The last part is for question as I am not sure if a firmer guideline how the aesthetic should be is a hindrance or a help to get artist onboard.

LAB

:DL: + :WDG:

Lord of the Hobby

Moderator on National Forums - Sweden
  • After watching this vid I have been warming up to the mantic range. They actually look better then I thought they would. The Forces of the Abyss over both options for myrmidons, succubi, imps, furies and hellhounds. I could't figure out if they come with 20 or 25mm bases. Does anyone know? Also wandering how tall they are.

EDIT: They are on 25mm bases

EDIT2: They are actualy 20mm bases. That is at least what it says on the website...

The post was edited 2 times, last by Wijkert ().

• If I was to start demons tomorrow, it would be either Mantic, or GW tyranids.

Given the market, it makes sense for people to make a line that imitates GW though, its the broadest customer base.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• The DL book does have pictures of the daemons..... So isn't that the official go-to look for T9A?

As for the library... If you are going to link miniatures like lizardmen or ghouls that are obviously the aesthetic for another army - it makes the miniatures library not very useful.
    Perhaps if you also included a conversion guide then it would be of some use. ....but that should be an entirely different section than the miniatures guide.
  • model agnostic maybe, but beside gw did there is many companies able to provide all the differents models and options ? Not really...

And even gw can have some hard time now to provide all the models with the split the 7 gods and changes in size/type :D

Most of my models are from gw and when i don't want to field some gw models to represent units, i have a hard time finding other miniatures elsewhere with the same quality
  • TTcombat have daemons appearing in their next KS - that should surface after the current desert of the dead KS ships. I suspect shipping will start in July - it should be shipping now, but lockdown stopped that!

They teased 'flamer' art work in a DotD update.

I would have recommended CMONs Wraith of Kings range, but seems it's been dumped - the dregs of the line are available on miniature market. Great models, but becoming hard to get hold of.
  • While combing through these thread to update the DL Miniature Library (and spending some additionnal time on the website linked to one suggestion :whistling: ), I found these:

They could make some interesting Lemures, but seems to be displayed on 1,75 Inch (~44 mm) bases.

Has anyone experience with Wild West Exodus miniatures?

Too big to fit on a 25 x 25 mm base? or should we give them a chance and nevertheless add them to the Lemures Miniature Library?

Besides, as a matter of information (or eventually if anyone have objections), I am going to add these models to the DL Miniature Library:

Spirit apparitions -> Eidolons

Legendary Vor Khet -> Blazing Glories

Juiced Hex Beast -> Blazing Glories

Legendary Marie Laveau -> Blazing Glories

Product-Search Team

+

Lord of the Hobby

=

Lord of the Hobby

:D
  • I have those Hex Beasts from Wild West Exodus. I use them as Harbingers. The bigger one, Juiced Beast(further down) might be hard to fit on a 25-base, but otherwise it’s no problem.

And the Legendary Marie Laveau comes on a round 80-base I think. Not impossible to fit on a 50-base, but it will have a bit of an overhang. I’m thinking of using mine as a Maw. Although It’s on the small side for that, I really like the model and want to use it for something.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Irondaemon ().

• I found this kick-starter today called Limbo: Eternal War. Maybe you guys discussed this one already and I missed it, but this game has some excellent mini's for DL, so feel like highlighting it either way.

The pictures won't do it justice. For a better indication on how the models look, I recommend watching this vid. Around the 1:39:00 mark starts a showcase that can give you a better look at the models and also a better indication of there size.

Some highlights:

Scourge

Maw (with a sick looking mouth on its back)

Harbinger

Omen? (not exactly a men sized, so maybe something else; cool mini though)

Blazing Glories

The really love the right one; a daemon coming out of the smoke. Will try to find a better picture.
    Edit

EDIT: So this smokey guy seems to be a lot larger than I thought.

To end with a bummer: they are not sold separately... but they are planning a reprint for Q4.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wijkert ().

• Wijkert wrote:

I found this kick-starter today called Limbo: Eternal War. Maybe you guys discussed this one already and I missed it, but this game has some excellent mini's for DL, so feel like highlighting it either way.

The pictures won't do it justice. For a better indication on how the models look, I recommend watching this vid. Around the 1:39:00 mark starts a showcase that can give you a better look at the models and also a better indication of there size.

Some highlights:

Scourge

Maw (with a sick looking mouth on its back)

Harbinger

Omen? (not exactly a men sized, so maybe something else; cool mini though)

Blazing Glories

The really love the right one; a daemon coming out of the smoke. Will try to find a better picture.
    Edit

EDIT: So this smokey guy seems to be a lot larger than I thought.

To end with a bummer: they are not sold separately... but they are planning a reprint for Q4.
    literally found these guys today too! Came here to post them but you beat me to it.