Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes, 4500points

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes, 4500points

Ok, this is my first time writing a list with one of the Auxiliary books. So if I have made a mistake somewhere by missing some if or but or coconut, please let me know asap.

I am very excited to try this army out, as Genghis Khan's hordes have a special place in my heart, so the opportunity to field my own version is too good to pass up.

Like all my other armies, I fully intend to convert/sculpt a fair whack of this army (because I am an idiotic glutton for punishment apparently...). But thankfully I have plenty of parts lying around already which should provide a great launching point.

Inspiration-wise, I am looking towards Magic the Gathering's Mardu tribe:

So expect some liberties to be taken from actual Mongol Horsemen (although the presence of a few mythical creatures should be enough of a hint anyway).

Now, onto the actual list:

Makhar Army 4500pts
      Characters:
      Makhar Gyula
      , General, Paired Weapons, Great Elk, Stallion’s Tempest, Mammoth Hide Cloak, Spirit of the Herd, Potion of Swiftness, Symbol of Slaughter 390points
      Makhar Gyula, Battle Standard, Death Cheater, Shield, Light Lance, Black Steed, Prized Stallion 355points
      Enaree, Shamanism, Wizard Master, Black Steed, Prized Stallion, Binding Scroll 460points

Core:
      2x8 Horse Archers 270points
      1x19 Makhar Lancers, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Shields, Makhar Lance, Banner of Speed 592points
      1x18 Makhar Lancers, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Shields, Makhar Lance, Banner of Speed 569points

Special:
      2x2 Makhar Chariot, Vanguard, Recurve Bow & Light Lance 335points
      2x1 Turul, Wings 245points

Steppe Mammoth, 430points

The first thing I wanted to do when I saw this army was to centre it with some big blocks of aggressive cavalry. While the units themselves lack the punch on their own, the characters providing copious buffs should help. Not to mention the combat power of the Gyula, who comes in with an eye-watering 7 agil8 attacks on the charge, with Hatred and Battle Focus. Perfect for blending units into oblivion. (The potion of swiftness is a bit excessive. But I had 10 points leftover, so go figure)

The mage either hides in a horse archer unit or hides out of the way (like behind a big monster or a hill), firing off buff spells to keep troops alive or running interference with totemic summons.

The horse archers and chariots run ranged interference, picking off chaff and possibly charging it away as well.

The Turul are glorified chaff/war machine hunters. They also do a good job as meat shields from unfriendly fire. Their ability to jump out of impassable looked interesting, but I would rather keep them cheap for the job I plan for them.

And lastly the Mammoth is an extra heavy-hitter. Designed to help push alongside one of my big cavalry units.

Fingers crossed I will have time to proxy this next weekend...

Lord of the Hobby

The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
    • Vespacian wrote:

Cool concept, would love to see this on the table.
      Bit of a way off there, but I have been already starting on the models, based on what I currently possess.

Now, these are all heavily work-in-progress, as I only spent a bit of a morning on them.

A Makhar Lancer. Probably one of the back-rank models, considering the more relaxed pose. I aim to give him some shoulderpads and a bit more facial hair.

A Makhar Lancer Standard Bearer. I couldn't find a way to make him hold the banner (problems with his tiny hands and the banner pole being way too large) so I opted for the more badass route and stuck it to his back.

Considering I will be using griffons for my Turul's, this makes the most sense as a mount for my general.

While they are not in my list, I had some models sitting around that I wanted to use as Warrior Knights. So here's one.

Lord of the Hobby

The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
    • Some more pictures:

My mounted Enaree. Not finished yet as she has 0 sculpting on her, but this is most of the base idea.

And I change my mount idea for my Gyula. The old mount will instead by part of my Karkadon herd (which is nice, as both have the same base size).

I have also tweaked my list; removing my BSB for some Flayers, the Rally Around the Flag ability for my Mammoth and some extra equipment for my other two characters.

Lord of the Hobby

• jirga wrote:

Looking good. Seeing makhar army taking shape is inspirational. :)
      Just you wait... the hordes are coming.

Also I updated my list:

Characters:
      Makhar Gyula
      , General, Paired Weapons, Great Elk, Stallion’s Tempest, Mammoth Hide Cloak, Spirit of the Herd, Potion of Swiftness, Symbol of Slaughter 390points
      Enaree, Shamanism, Pyromancy, Master, Black Steed, Prized Stallion, Binding Scroll, Essence of a Free Mind 515points

Core:
      1x18 Makhar Lancers, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Shields, Makhar Lance, Banner of Speed 569points
      1x18 Makhar Lancers, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Vanguard, Shields, Makhar Lance, Banner of Speed 605points

Special:
      2x2 Makhar Chariot, Vanguard, Recurve Bow & Light Lance 335points
      1x1 Makhar Chariot, Vanguard, Heavy Armour & Makhar Lance 190points

Steppe Mammoth, Rally Around the Flag 530points

Since the Mammoth can take the Battle Standard without actually TAKING it (and cost 200VP's in the process) it seemed like a good idea to drop the second Gyula, and make the Mammoth my BSB instead.

This allowed me enough free points to buy another chariot (combat version, to make sure I stay below the bow limit), and some extra equipment for my Enaree, who now has Essence of a Free Mind. Basically turning her into another ranged unit if I find Shamanism less worthwhile for a game.

The combat chariot is there to punish single monsters, or provide a bit of extra push here and there.

If anyone has any further comments on my list, I am all ears!

Lord of the Hobby

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tyranno ().

• Krokz wrote:

I am only afraid at the lack of Scoring units, you only have two.
      Otherwise great job!
      Yeah it was a bit rough to build a list and fit them in. With only three to choose from (and one being very much a list-style dictating choice) it seems Makhar are supposed to be a bit weak at claiming objectives in the sense of having enough units to put enough pressure down to threaten to claim them.

However, the sheer offensive output of those 2 scorers is so terrifying, that I think I might be able to substitute that lack of scorers with the ability to simply push people off of objectives. I would NEVER be happy receiving a charge from Makhar Lancers that are that buffed up.

Lord of the Hobby

• Ok; considering that Makhar just got an update minutes ago, and I am planning to take the army for a first spin this weekend, it seemed like a good time to make a slightly longer post.

Firstly, a bunch of buffs right before testing the army out for the first time will hopefully lead to me having a better time with the army.

And secondly, it means I have to re-do my list. So with points updates (and immediately grabbing as much Lamellar Barding as I can) I was left with 45 free points; not bad. Which leaves me with this:

Characters:
      Makhar Gyula, General, Paired Weapons, Great Elk, Stallion’s Tempest, Mammoth Hide Cloak, Spirit of the Herd, Potion of Swiftness, Symbol of Slaughter 395points
      Enaree, Shamanism, Pyromancy, Master, Black Steed, Prized Stallion, Binding Scroll, Essence of a Free Mind 515points

Core:
      1x17 Makhar Lancers, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Lamellar Barding, Makhar Lance, Banner of Speed 563points
      1x18 Makhar Lancers, Musician, Champion, Standard Bearer, Vanguard, Lamellar Barding, Makhar Lance, Banner of Speed 623points

Special:
      2x2 Makhar Chariot, Vanguard, Recurve Bow & Light Lance 325points
      1x5 Warriors Knights, 250points
      Steppe Mammoth, Rally Around the Flag 470points

I traded the Makhar Lancer Shields, single Makhar "Heavy" Chariot and 1 Lancer for Lamellar Barding and a unit of Warrior Knights. Hopefully the Knights will help solve my "only 2 scorers" problem, and will serve as nice heavy chaff. Plus it gives me motivation to finish off those Warrior Knight models I started...

Oh! And once again, feedback is appreciated.

And speaking of models... Just this morning, ALL of my mounted models arrived, and while I was out the (2nd apparently) postman missed me with my box of Chariots. So once I have them picked up tomorrow morning, that just leaves my Turuls, some horses and Mammoth unaccounted for.

The Horde is growing ever stronger...

Lord of the Hobby

• Ok, quick-ish update.

Played several games this weekend, didn't get down into the nitty-gritty of the exact scores though as this was more about me getting used to Makhar's playstyle.

I played against, DH, DL and VC (The latter one twice).

The overall result was a win against VC the 2nd time, but all others were losses. The DL one was mostly due to me making a colossal mistake that cost me my mage turn one due to an unpleasant situation of "dammed of I do, dammed if I don't", so I am not 100% sure of what to make of that so far.

Facing armies that don't break properly (huge volumes of seekers, Unstable and just Daemons in general) may have been a bit of a rough start, but again, this is early days of me using the army. So I can't tell if it was me, the army, or the competition.

The win against VC did have me a bit more cheerful about the overall weekend though. Especially due to me pulling a tactic that encircled his most powerful and most maneuverable unit (Winged Reapers) and pinning it in a position where the only way out was certain destruction.

Here is my general thoughts of each unit so far:

Gyula:
      Didn't do as amazingly as I expected, but at least he is cheap.

Enaree:
      Suffers a LOT from having nowhere to be. She does not want to be in a combat unit as her stats are pathetic, but neither does she want to be riding out on her own for the same reason.
      So her presence in my list is a bit of a head-scratcher now. Where do I put her? Yuve Yuve Yu...

Horse Archers:
      Did their job, but felt a bit pricey for something so squishy. TO elaborate, they want to be close to get the short-range power of their Recurve Bows, but it puts them in range of opposing shooting, which is NOT where they want to be at all for a Res3 unit with a 5+ at best.

Makhar Lancers:
      Didn't get the charge often, but that might have been because they were almost TOO terrifying.

Makhar Chariots:
      Superior Horse Archers. If these things became core in units of 3 I would take them over Horse Archers in a heart-beat. Perhaps that's not a good sign for the Horse Archers.
      The two units worked well together though.

Warrior Knights:
      Did their job pretty well. Glad they are so cheap though, as I wasn't bowled over by their offense. Their defense on the other hand was great.

Turuls:
      They were cheap I guess. Not really wowed with anything they did, but that's chaff for you I guess. Just wish other armies didn't get their flying range-damage-resilient chaff for half this cost.

Steppe Mammoth:
      Really nice, his offense really caught people out and he plowed through stuff when he got the opportunity to do so.

As I said, this is more a rough post than anything in-depth, as I had a longer-than-intended trip back and I am tired.

Lord of the Hobby

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tyranno ().

• ArchangelusM wrote:

I have to say I love your conversions so far. :D
      Thanks! I have since updated the designs a bit more, so once I have one fully realised I will post it up.

Ok, since I am waiting for the glue to dry on my saddles before I drill into them for some pinning, I might as well elaborate a bit more on my games/thoughts.

1: Makhar cannot replicate a "Mongol Horde" playstyle while being this squished.

What do I mean by this? I mean the table size is bordering on too small to easily move this much cavalry around the battlefield. Especially with multiple cavalry archer units.

It also did not help that several deployment types restrict the deployment zone VERY heavily. I already find these stifling when playing a few wider units with ID, but here it was insane. Having only 75% of your deployment zone when playing an army with an emphasis on multiple blocks of 25mm models is very restrictive and I couldn't find enough space to do what I wanted, especially when all the units want to be on the front lines.

But, I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, while still keeping the main theme of this army.

2: I cannot even begin to imagine how this army would deal with fully-pimped characters.

While I only fought one untouchable god of a character this weekend, it did make me wonder; what is this armies answer to stuff like Alpha Carnos, Dragon-riders, or just combat characters that the Gyula has frankly no business touching, and so on. They are more often than not packing hard target, multiple saves and high res. Even with the answer of just "pray for 6s" there are other characters that hide in units, and basically make them untouchable.

Now there could be the answer of "just avoid them". But that brings the space issue again.

I will probably think of more, smaller, things later. But that's all I have for now.

Lord of the Hobby

The post was edited 2 times, last by Tyranno ().

• Picture time!

I decided to go for an armoured helmet, closer to the art I posted. Luckily, Samurai Helmets are identical on the base design level to Mongolian ones; same basic shape, and the same shaped flap around the hears and back of the head. All I need to do is add drooping top-knots to the back and a triangular plate to the front and I am left with a perfect replica.

I also changed the shoulderpads, to closer resemble more heavily armoured mongolian cavalry units, like this:

Mine will be a bit more colourful than this, but you get the general idea.

The above image is closer to what I want my Warrior Knights to resemble, but with chainmail covering the mouth and nose (I guess that's a new sculpting trick I will have to learn...).

While my Lancers will be more of a close copy of the above rider, while the horse will have much simpler barding.

There has been a lot of progress in the past day, so expect more pictures soon. In fact I am aiming to acquire my Mammoth tomorrow, so fingers crossed I will have that to add to my horde as well.

Chariots are coming along well, and once I have made some progress with them outside of building them out of the box, I will show them here too.

My defeats may have been serious morale setbacks, but I will use them to grow as a cavalry user and gain my aggressive-style mojo back! All glory to the Mongol empire! All glory to the great Khan!

Lord of the Hobby

• jirga wrote:

Are those warlord mounted samurai with yari ashigaru arms?
      Been looking those bits as cheapest way to go for lancers.
      Yes.
      Technically the Torso is Ashigaru as well, as some of the arm joins on the Ashigaru and Samurai kits are a little different.

If you buy direct from Warlord, you can just buy the mounted samurai without the horses, absolute bargain. I got almost 100 models for about £70.

Also, their quality of plastic minis is one of the best, about equal with Perry and a bit better than Victrix (and on par with Victrix's best stuff). So I am VERY happy with this army so far.

Lord of the Hobby

• jirga wrote:

Warlord had sprue sale month or two ago and I think their samurai sprues were out of stock all the time. :)

Need to jump on the makhar saddle once they have sale next time. Your riders look really good already and once you've all painted I'll bet the army will be jaw dropping.
      I totally wouldn't know anything about the former comment... nothing at all. I didn't attempt to finish my Japanese EoS army around that time. Nope... not me.

That's the plan haha!
      I just sculpted some hair edging out of the back of the helmet cover, to give my Riders some more personality and to try and take them away from looking like converted Samurai models. I am quite pleased with the result.

Lord of the Hobby

• Did you miss me?
      I may have been gone for a bit, but what that actually meant, was that I was working so hard on my Makhar army that I refrained from posting, lest I waste precious time in a temporarily empty household.

But with things back to normal, let's see what I have to show for it. But first, a fitting tune from my favourite band...

Have they started singing yet? Yes? Good, then we shall begin...

Starting small, we have a Horse Archer. Pretty simple, still needs some small shoulderpads to bulk the model out a bit, without making it as touch-looking as the lancers.

Speaking of more bulk though, one of my Makhar Chariots. These were a pleasure to build, but the small size of the carriage makes the idea of 4 crew an absolute joke. Hell, even heroic-scale humans would struggle to fit in these things. Thankfully my historical models have room to spare.

Much more progress on my Warrior Knights. Until they have their belts sculpted on, I will refrain from adding their shields. But you have seen what I will be using with them before, so it should be easy to imagine.

Now for a new unit, my Warrior Knights with Great Weapons. These were interesting to build. The small hands of the Samurai I used mad the idea of sticking a weapon handle I could drill a pin inside moot. BUT using a long pin as the weapon itself worked a treat.

I am currently waiting on some Black Guard Halberds to use as the "business end", with a bit of trimming to make it more like a great axe.

My Turul. Pretty simple, needs a little work on the chest and a tiny bit of work on the back, but is otherwise ready to fly.

Progress on my Mounted Gyula, now actually with a Gyula on top haha! I switched his weapon around to a Makhar Lance, the extra power and AP was worth more to me than a single extra attack and extra OS that is pointless in the presence of Hatred+Lightning Reflexes.

Trust me when I say his new loadout is much fiercer, and anything with 4HP or less should avoid this tactical nuke of a man at all costs.

Here comes the big gun, my Steppe Mammoth! This monstrosity nearly cost me my sanity. This colossus may look good, but it is a relic from the days of copious mold-lines. It is also a male Mammoth... trust me I found out.

And to finish off, a family photo! A bit blurry, and the light is extra poor. But it should give a rough idea of just how much progress I have made in the last 2 weeks or so. There is still a ways to go, and some final parts have yet to arrive (all base models are accounted for however), but I am tantalisingly close to finishing this army. All glory to Chinggis Khan!

Lord of the Hobby