T9A GLOBAL CAMPAIGN: Winter is Coming

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• There is something to be said for reducing the scale. What if instead of nations, the players each represent a powerful warlord from each faction? That would untie us a lot from the complicated geopolitics.
    “The touch of a sword handle is the deadliest poison known to man. It settles in, deeper than the bone, instantaneously. It is a deep curse that can never be lifted and will last you the rest of your days.”
    – Ryo-ten-Ryam
  • A global campaign in the ninth world is a great idea. It can unite the community and intrigue players on the bg side.I am not very convinced of the alliance between the undead and the demons, I find that in a global campaign having 3 factions is better and allows everyone to participate actively by moving the balance needle.Ideally an alliance between undead and elves is more consistent. This could also develop some imaginary factions in the countryside such as elves / undead pirates, vampire elves and even an elf mix between nature and still life.At this point the classical faction of good is opposed (Eos, elf, dwarf). But there would also be a third faction that of the chaos that does not want to be blown away by the destruction of the world by other villains.And the other factions? In this scenario, neutral armies will choose arbitrarily against whom to play and with which faction to line up (also based on the armies present in the clubs) as already said of the wood elf could help the empire or even side with death in a mix of nature and undead . The OK could be a mercenary faction hired by the asset or an army that follows the great chaos horde. The orcs I always fight against and anyone can clash with the undead and thus stop the advance of evil and unintentionally helping the good.
  • berti wrote:

Cool idea. The campaign.

Sadly there is so little of the background known outside the inner circle that I even have no idea what these colonies are and if there are tensions between elfes and humans.
    Hope there will be something in near future.
    And I really Don t need background languages etc....just some big picture info to base story's on it.
    This could have been true two years ago, but to say this today is just downright slander. The « There is no fluff » trope is getting really tiring.
    The fluff is in the BRB, in the NS, in the FABs, and most of all, on the Ninth Age Wiki. The world map is there. A lot of people are busy writing, compiling, translating, I don't see how we can make it any easier for you to read it. I mean, I cannot read it instead of you, right ?
    Everything is there.
    And no, I don't have access to the internal BG. I just read what is there and that's it.

@Lord Drakon « Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Beastmen »……… :judge: hum hum
    « Good » races… ?? Maybe you haven't read this other thread Forces of Order, Chaos and eternal doubters We all agreed that there are no « good » races in the Ninth Age universe, get over it ! :tongue:
    Apart from that, great idea, sir ! Thank you for the effort !
    GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • Hahaha Ghiznuk, for your there might be fluff, but many perceive there to be no fluff. Some snippets here and there (hard to find, or read due to fonts and perspective) don't satisfy a comminity. So there seem to be a rooted problem of some believe there is fluff, yet the majority dont think so. Not ideal.

Also, there are def. pure evil races dude. Everyone agrees on that, except a few (wich includes someone who is responsible for a fair part of the background. Not ideal either.

Other then that everything is fine. The GW fluff is still fresh. For now. :P
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • Pellegrim wrote:

Also, there are def. pure evil races dude. Everyone agrees on that, except a few (wich includes someone who is responsible for a fair part of the background. Not ideal either.
    Just because I'm curious...maybe I've missed something, but to which races do you refer?

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

• Ghiznuk wrote:

The Fandom Wiki is not snippets.

And the GW fluff is as fresh as the LotR fluff or the Elder Scrolls fluff, meaning, it is irrelevant.
    thanks for the link to the wiki, i had no idea it was there!

I would love their to be a background sub fotum, with permalinks to published background... and would be a place where the background team could post updates and users could post unofficial stories.. i suppose there would need to be a clear distinction about what is official and not..
    Keeper of the Zoo
    Images of Ma Stuff
    My Warriors of Ind/Sagarikadesha Painting blog

In Northern CA? Give me a buzz or visit our FB Group: Norcal 9th Age
  • Frumious wrote:

I would love their to be a background sub fotum, with permalinks to published background... and would be a place where the background team could post updates and users could post unofficial stories.. i suppose there would need to be a clear distinction about what is official and not..
    Background & Stories is the forum set up for that purpose.
    Unfortunately, it has been populated more by fans than by the BG team itself. :(

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • I will chime in that i think factions are the way to go to, though i still think you can drive the Narrative the way you want be having characters in specific races in specific factions.

So i suggest distilling it down into 3 factions.

Antagonists: Goal is to disrupt the world order, say be unleashing some long buried artifact... So using Lord Drakons initial premise his narrative will initially be driven by a Pharough and Demon Lord.. with rampaging hordes

Protagonists: Armies/nations looking to persevere the status quo, opposing the goals of the antagonists. An Empire leader in Lord Drakons initial idea.

Opportunists: Armies/nations look for individual gain. Gambling that they results the other factions achieve wont affect them too much.

So you have your narrative.. but you let people join any faction they want regardless of the army the play, for their own reasons

There are specific outcomes depending on which faction wins.

Each week you will layouts some scenarios that have objectives each faction can get campaign points for.. but your narrative generally leads you where you want to go.

those faction names would be less generic if course..

but you can also drive the narrative with special rules.. say any wizard master in the antagonist antagonist faction can choose the summon zombie horde spell... and maybe the protagonists get a battle prayer or two..
    Keeper of the Zoo
    Images of Ma Stuff
    My Warriors of Ind/Sagarikadesha Painting blog

In Northern CA? Give me a buzz or visit our FB Group: Norcal 9th Age

The post was edited 1 time, last by Frumious ().

• I can't understand a UD/DL alliance. Makes no sense. Also, I've seen several references to things like 'DH settling old grudges vs. ID' and similar, which have nothing to do with T9A and are part of that other game's fluff. (DH's best relationship is probably with ID, if we were to be honest about things).

If we want to highlight differences between T9A and that other game, consider working the following things into whatever prompt gets used:

1. The primary aggressor should be one of HbE, EoS, or KoE. (But not all three together - some of these should be on opposite sides).

2. DH comes to ID's aid, or vice versa.

3. Potential 'non-traditional' choices for primary defender include OK, VC, VS, BH, OnG. VC would be a campaign to claim Avras. OK would be an EoS campaign into the steppes.

Actually, let's lay down some likely campaigns for each of the aggressor options:
    EoS - lots of options, from new world colonialism, to more local expansionism. A Colonial campaign could well feature a 'dual aggressors' theme, where each side saw the other as the aggressor (SA vs. EoS primary conflict). Local expansion could involve EoS vs. OK and other humans on their eastern border, or EoS vs. KoE. There's also the possibility of EoS vs. HbE over control of the sea and access to colonies. (Land battles would be fought over naval basing areas, primarily).

KoE - Campaign for Avras vs. VC would be the top option. Also KoE vs. SE makes sense, as does KoE vs. EoS. KoE vs. UD could be about near east colonies.

HbE - they have a literally global reach, so could start a war anywhere with pretty much anyone over access to resources, trade routes, naval basing, etc... HbE vs. ID is probably the most interesting option here: the steel road threatens HbE trade supremacy with the far east, but to disrupt it, they'd have to push deep inland from the 'indian ocean'.

I guess my top recommendation is to root the campaign in stuff we know about the T9A world. Once we have primary belligerents, we can work out why any other faction would or could involve itself.
    Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• Maybe there is someone already planning a community project about the fight for Avras.

Maybe there is someone who's already teamed up with two other guys to make this project become real.

Maybe this project is mainly about EoS, VC and VS.

Maybe other factions can join this project in the future, too.

Maybe it'll start in about three weeks.

Maybe one is quite excited about it already and should let the cat out of the bag.

But maybe he doesn't yet. :D

Display Spoiler
    Maybe this spoiler is just a bait

@Adaephon_Delat @Eldan what do you guys think about shamelessly abusing this thread to start a hype? I guess what we'll need in the end is just enough players to make our project successful?! :thumbsup:

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

• My hat is off to anybody that starts a Campaign and I’ll give an “at a boy” to anyone that can see it through to its successful completion. I’ve been over 2 years trying to get an official campaign released, but the fluff and background for the whole narrative reason for the Campaign itself keeps getting snagged on some rocks. One day maybe.
    I do like this premise, just please don’t use the GW terms or step on other’s property, especially in written form. I know it’s hard to do as some terms are almost as engraved in the language as “Google” is for “looking something up”....but we need to give it our best to further separate.
    There are some great ideas and some great minds involved in this topic, so I wish you guys the best. :thumbsup: My door is open if I can lend a hand
    B. "Skunk Butt" Jones - Member of the CGL :oldmen:
    • YES! My conquest is complete! I now have every Army and my bias will be for Every L.A.B. to be great!. :thumbsup:

DL/ADT - TT

Campaign Design-Broken Isles

Freelance Design

Playtester-Mid Atlantic USA

CGL 2018 Worst Player Winner

• Great idea! I know me and my gaming group will definitely contribute a couple of games.

As for lore, there are 8 full ages to take inspiration from and write the fluff for, what if this campaign relives a moment of the past? The time the UD allied themselves with DL for not obvious reason and almost annihilated humanity?

I think the campaign outlined by @Lord Drakon is great; it alludes to an already known story arc so it’s not too much to take in for new gamers, and it allows for many side battles, e.g ID vs DE, fighting to capitalize on the chaos of the world.

As for name, my vote goes to: SUMMER IS COMING

(Lines up perfectly with the story arc and puts a fun spin to the already known story arc).
    Currently posting a lot of Dread Elf WIP pictures over at: MrMossevig's Painting League 2019 - The Year of the Dragon

My previous KoE project and complete army pictures: Army of Celeste