Infernal Dwarf Book Snippet

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Infernal Dwarf Book Snippet

Greetings Prophets and Overlords! The time for reveals has dawned, and the dawn chorus shall be lead by me!

Now; we are not intending to spoil direct rules here, more concepts while we hammer out the details backstage. But you're not here to read my waffle... on to the show.

To start the ball rolling, here are a few concepts (not mechanics) that we would like to share with regards to the new ID book:
      • The 4 churches (Ashuruk, Shamut, Nezibkesh and Lugar) will be more visible in the army - each will offer some variation to its prophetsuiting the theme of that church.
      • Tauruhks and Anointed will embrace their bull-ish nature gaining increased damage output when charging.
      • More versatile system for the ID artillery options. This we will go into a little deeper below.
      ID engineers have been hard at work, revolutionising the way ID war-machines work to the very core and letting you (the players) decide what you want.

Do you want a gargantuan gatling gun that grinds your foes to powder? A train that spews waves of fire onto all that lie before it?

Players will get the opportunity to choose a gun; taken from the current ID range of Flamethower, Mortar and Volley Gun. And then combine it with one of various chassis; again similar to ones ID currently have access to such as the Bound Daemon, Infernal Artillery, etc. These can alter the properties and provide different advantages.

After that you can spice it up with extra ammunition types, that are certain to leave an impact.

Also, there is the additional idea of making these artilleries more reliable, but when they fail, the consequences can be more dramatic.

"Snorri, you're a dwarf."
      "An' you're observant. Was it th' beard or th' axe that gave it away?"
      "What I mean, Snorri, is that you might have some keen tactical insights to offer on the foe this mercenary company faces tomorrow."
      "Ah, stow it Vicenzo. These're Eastern Dwarves - from th' Inferno lands. Barely know a bloody thing ab't them."
      "Try."
      "Ah, fine. I saw th' guns while they were wheelin' them in t' position. Big basts' they are, overengineered if y' ask me."
      "Yes Snorri, we are asking you."
      "Fine, fine. They look odd. Any guildsman worth his pay would make his guns to a tried an' true method, an' y' could tell what they do by the way they look. Those? Look bloody creative. Damned if'n I have the foggiest what they're s'posed t' do."

Short Concept Description
      Industrial production of war machines with interchangeable parts has revolutionized the armory of the Infernal Dwarf armies allowing them to mount any of their guns on a range of chassis with little effort to suite the terrain, enemy or tactics.

Intended guns:
      • Flamethrower.
      • Mortar.
      • Volley Gun.
      Intended chassis:

• Gunnery Team.
      • Infernal Engine.
      • Bound Daemon.
      • Infernal Artillery.
      Intended Ammunitions:

• Tremor Ammunition.
      • Kadim Infused Ammunition.
      • Poisonous Fumes.
      Sub-concept:
      Infernal Dwarves have mastered industrial scale production explosive shells for different standard calibers. The standardized process improves reliability whereas adding the many types of highly volatile explosives may have unexpected consequences.

Feel
      Unconventional feeling. Mobility to use low shooting range.
      Advance under a moving barrage of fire.
      Customizable for representing the superior ID abilities and resources.

General Goal
      • Have the current Artillery Weapons in the book somewhat represented.
      • Every Artillery Weapon should be able to be mounted on every chassis.
      • Each chassis comes with different pros and cons, like different mobility, durability, special rules, etc.
      All this and more are waiting in the new ID book as you choose how you construct your war-machines; tailor-making them to fit your needs on the battlefield. All to make you feel like a true engineer as you build your weapons of doom and disaster!

Please, keep in mind that everything is till subject to changes and stay tuned for more, as further concepts are revealed. And don't forget to comment your thoughts in the thread! We can't read minds, we don't have access to that path of magic.

Lord of the Hobby

The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
    • Tyranno wrote:

"Snorri, you're a dwarf."
      Whos is this Snorri you're speaking off?
      I know only of Meltav.

Otherwise:
      I look forward to see what you're doing with the churches and look forward any spoiler in that direction (even if not about rules).
      The "build your own weapon system" does sound awesome and represents ID very well.

Traumdieb wrote:

Artillery sounds very good and promissing as long as volley gun means scrapnel canon.
      Good question, from reading it one could get the feel that the scrapnel canon is gonna get scrapped. Which would be a shame.
      But then again, it's only a brief overview and "intended guns".
      I'll guess well wait and see :).
    • Tyranno wrote:

To start the ball rolling, here are a few concepts (not mechanics) that we would like to share with regards to the new ID book:
      • The 4 churches (Ashuruk, Shamut, Nezibkesh and Lugar) will be more visible in the army - each will offer some variation to its prophetsuiting the theme of that church.
        Meh, I'm not sure I feel this was super needed. Except Lugar, the other 3 seemed well represented by the standard prophet. I also think this risks stepping on the toes of other armies. Interested to see how it turns out though.
      • Tauruhks and Anointed will embrace their bull-ish nature gaining increased damage output when charging.
      Again, I'm not super bothered by this. Some people will be very pleased though :)
      • More versatile system for the ID artillery options. This we will go into a little deeper below.
      Interesting and unique idea; sounds pretty infernal dwarf-ish to me; good job.

Also, there is the additional idea of making these artilleries more reliable, but when they fail, the consequences can be more dramatic.
      What does "more reliable" mean here? Less likely to misfire? Less likely to miss? Reduced variance on damage output? Something else?

Short Concept Description
      Industrial production of war machines with interchangeable parts has revolutionized the armory of the Infernal Dwarf armies allowing them to mount any of their guns on a range of chassis with little effort to suite the terrain, enemy or tactics.
      Great :)

Feel
      Unconventional feeling. Mobility to use low shooting range.
      Advance under a moving barrage of fire.
      Customizable for representing the superior ID abilities and resources.
      Great :)

I think all of this sounds pretty good.
      A couple of nitpicks:
      (A) Not sure I buy poisonous fumes as being very ID. This feels much more vermin swarm to me. I'd like to see a different third ammunition concept here. Perhaps "shredding" or "cloud" ammunition (as a sort of mass crowd control option, related to controlling slaves and possibly to blunderbusses, and becoming kinda "cluster bomb" -like in larger bore weapons). I.e. hitting more models but for weaker damage.
      (B) Will this work immersively? If I put "tremor ammunition" on a volley gun, what does that even mean? Maybe tremor ammunition could be "explosive shells"? Then, combined with the above it is explosive (i.e. "boom"), kadim-related (I guess fire/lava/napalm related?) and shredding (i.e. grapeshot, blunderbusses; low-tech but the ultimate in crowd/riot control).
      (C) I presume shrapnel guns will be vaguely replicable as volley gun plus special ammo (explosive shells ;) )? Everything else seems to be covered pretty easily.

Good job on this warmachine stuff. It seems very well suited to ID and also uniquely t9a.

Can we get an approx ETA on the first public release of the book?
      Or even just a rough idea if it is on schedule or behind schedule for release at the 6 month mark?
      Being supportive & giving useful criticism aren't mutually exclusive.
      Are you supportive of the project? Do your posts reflect that?

List repository and links HERE
      Basic beginners tactics HERE
    • Really nice ideas so far.
      Bulls buffs on charge - finaly.
      Customizable WM - we kinda have it already, 3 weapon teams, 2 train options, bounding WM. Ammo options seems interesting , looks like a lot of options, we will see how it works and if everything is required. Not sure if poisonous is ID way, I would rather go with something like earthshaking, demonbound, immolation.
      I like the high risk - high reward theme with our WM , representing thirst for power.

I wonder whats the price of it , as it sounds too good really. I am worried about the kadims especialy but I hope I am wrong.

Good job , keep it up!
    • Yay flamethrowing pain train! (The stage is set now we only need the Heavy Metal Prophet riding it :muaha: )
      The plans on warmachines feel like an infernal car-configurator (but beware, at the end it's always to to expensive and you need to cut some corners...). But a very creative and fitting approach.
      I'm not a fan of different "churches". This might be nice for the background but has the potential to bring unnecessary complexity. Let the mess with the DE cults be warning.

Good job!
    • About the ammunitions, just take them as example. As DanT says, Tremor Ammunition could be Explosive Ammunition or something else.

We presented it this way to show you that while we may don't have a Titan Mortar profile per se, a mortar mounted on infernal artillery chassis and with the correct ammunition should give you a very similar gameplay experience (and some new options should be available too).

Its not sure if "every" weapon will be able to take "every" ammunition, but the idea is that every weapon should be open to customization in some way.

It's true that the churches were somewhat already present if you looked for them and knew background you could suppose that some entries like the prophet-engineer could be linked with Nezibkesh (god of engineering/tectonics), but what we are planning is fleshing it out a bit more.

Its also true that Poisonous Fumes seems not very ID at the moment, but there are things being introduced to the LAB and it will make more sense when you see the whole package. Still, it may change as everything showed here.

I'll see if we can talk about this in the next spoiler.

DanT wrote:

Can we get an approx ETA on the first public release of the book?
      Or even just a rough idea if it is on schedule or behind schedule for release at the 6 month mark?
      I'll ask if we can say something about this.

Manxol wrote:

As people says, everything sounds nice, exept the venom shells. I guess someting like smoke bombs make more sense, since our core is police and not soldiers.
      Taurukhs are the "police".

Infernal Warriors are the obligatory military levy and Citadel Guard are professional paid soldiers.

Keep the feedback coming. ^^
    • I love the build-a-bear artillery. Feels very appropriate to a mass production based civilization.

I am curious what the different shell types do, and what kind of availability the will have. Can a flamethrower cause tremors? Will the weapons teams be able to cause tremors? Does the Kadim infused ammo work on a flamethrower? Does the poison ammo work on top of the existing gun or supplant it (i.e. would a flamethrower still defeat fortitude saves while using poison ammo?)

Still, super excited, and can't wait to see what you guys come up with :D
    • Really like this thing. The modularity feels very spot on for a highly industrious race like ID. Good job!
      Square bases, happy faces!

ETC Team Sweden 2016 - Infernal Dwarves
      ETC Team Sweden 2017 - Infernal Dwarves
      WTC Team Sweden 2018 - Empire of Sonnstahl
      ETC Team Bulgaria 2018 (as Mercenary) - Vampire Covenant

UN SW

Tournament Support

Tournament Analysist

• This looks good. I appreciate the work going into designing this.

My few substantive comments echo some others: not sure that the list needs "4 churches." I know the other new books have gone in that direction (WotDG, DL), but those books have historically had many choices/gods. I'm thinking two would be enough for ID. Also, not sure about poisonous fumes. As someone else wrote, that feels Vermin Swarmish to me. ID is all about fire, explosive power and perhaps armor penetration. On the last point (armor penetration) you might want to take a page from modern battle tanks. For years now the some main battle tanks fire depleted uranium shells because the depleted uranium is a very dense metal and makes these shells very effective at penetrating armor. Easy to build on that idea for ID.

Kelly
    • Tsagadai wrote:

Please make the engine flamer a breath weapon, that would be so much fun.

Tyranno wrote:

That is the intention, yes. Chassis dictates stats.
      You might end up getting what you want.

I could for example see the flamer to stay a flamethrower for the normal artillery and probably the gunnery team (at least I'd hope so) while I could see it becoming a breath weapon for infernal engine/bound kadim.
    • Shako wrote:

You might end up getting what you want.
      I could for example see the flamer to stay a flamethrower for the normal artillery and probably the gunnery team (at least I'd hope so) while I could see it becoming a breath weapon for infernal engine/bound kadim.
      Probably not. The weapon itself might change with the base, for example improved range or strength. But changing the entire design of the weapon would be much more complicated.

Plus it would overlap with the hammer-version of the train.

Lord of the Hobby

The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog