Infernal Dwarf Book Snippet

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Hi guys, glad you liked the snippet.

I can definitely explain how we are progressing. However, for some parts like exact rules we are currently a bit back and forth on how to do this. I think most of the team, my self included, would like to share more to get your input and ideas but some of the stuff is also at really early stage and may change completely or be outright removed when more pieces of the puzzles come alive. We are currently running more entries than we know will be allowed but we do so to test ideas and have enough so that some may be discarded if they dont perform well doing internal playtesting. Disclosing them may create a lot of enthusiasm that may then become disappoint later if removed.

As @WhammeWhamme said, we went away from the concept of all dwarfs carrying side arms and are currently seing what we can do to reinforce the key marks of IDs, namely their ability to harness and master the element of fire and their economic and industrial superiority to other races built upon their vast network of vassal states and slave labor force.

To give you an update on where we are, we spent May and June on building concepts for all rules and entries.
      A concept in short includes:
      • Short unit description
      • Feel
      • Goal
      • Background perspective
      • Player perspective
      We build that into approx. 50 page word document with 20 page draft background section and 30 pages of rules concepts. Saying we here, it was really the team of @WhammeWhamme , @Gomio @Snarkhunter @Fthunder @Niedfaru @Odoamar @Squigkikka who did that. I am, together with @'Emgies just trying to make these talented people perform at their outmost :) '

Now since start of July, we have build mechanics meaning actual rules. These are, for the most part, still without point costs or restrictions, and the main goal here is to translate the above concepts into actual playable rules and to make balance and quality per design and not something introduced afterwards.

We have been through the key dwarf units (Infernal Warriors, Citadel guards, Immortals), Tauruks (normal and anointed) , a few characters (overlord and Vizier), the kadims (DoL, Kadim and Titan), vassals (infantry and cav) and slaves and are currently working on the warmachines incl. some new interesting and experiemental constructs. Hopefully, we will have first drafts of all entrees by end Aug/start September.

With feedback from all sections of the production area, we are currently revising some of the units, (revision of immortals was just started 30 minutes ago). This will be a continues process of producing new units for review and revising prior ones based on feedback.

We hope to complete the mechanics by end of september / start of October and then spend the following 3 months in adjustment before releasing to public playtesting. Now, as with everything new, timelines may shift but feel assured that people are working hard to provide you with a new book as soon as possible.

On behalf of the team,
      Nis

Product Owner - ID LAB

Alone you may go faster but together we go further ;)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Windelov ().

• Very interesting and very grateful that you took the time to explain this to us. Although it does not satisfy my curiosity, the project information, process and deadlines are always welcome.

I have some questions about it.
      This year ID and DE are supposed to come out, but you mention that ID could come out after 3 months of September, that is December, minimum. Would it be possible for DE to come out earlier, ahead of ID or is it obliged to go behind and consequently come out in 2020?

Given that the estimated deadline is, being optimistic, December, but FAB was supposed to come out this year, do you consider there to be a delay? If yes, do you think it is due to lack of personnel? Can the community help in any way? (I'm not criticizing, I prefer a job well done but slow, although I can not deny that I have a part of me with a huge craving to know more :P)

The drafts you are commenting on will not be open to the public, won't they? It's internal work, I suppose.
    • Good questions @xaby86

The ambition is to produce a beta book that can go into public playtest, ie become available to the community, 6-8 months after initiation. Now we are currently optimizing the start up phase as several pieces of information will need to be available for the work to really commence and when that has been achieved, we will move more towards the 6 than 8 months. That means that we hope to deliver a beta book by end of this year but it may just as well be start of next.

The in-house build phase to deliver the beta book as described above, will then be followed by a 6 month external test phase before locking it for gold. Meaning that only minor adjustments to points or similar will be made after that. Now, ID will be the first book to run through this accelerated process and it may be that we will require 8 instead of 6 months of public playtesting before locking it. The overall goal is to do so prior to ETC 2020.

For DE, that team has just started up, and without stealing thunder here, I think it is fair to say that this book will only reach public beta sometime end of 1st quarter of 2020, or start of the second quarter.

As mentioned elsewhere, the ambition is to run about 4 books in parallel but also to avoid having multiple books in each phase. Thus, we will wait starting a third book to the DE book has progressed sufficiently, likely sometime later this year if things work out as expected .

A reasonable and realistic but still very tentative release schedule would thus see ID released to public beta end 2019/start 2020 and be locked mid 2020. DE being released to public end of Q1/start of Q2 in 2020 and then a third book going into public beta by mid 2020 and be locked by end of 2020/start of 2021.

Hopefully, things will work out and we can increase that to both initiating 4 teams and releasing 4 books to public beta each year, and them being locked 6 (8) months later. That will be a massive change as compared to what you have experienced earlier. Imagine having a new book out January, March, and an update of costs for books in May, the ETC in August, a third book in September and a fourth in November. That would be a evolving meta and very interesting time for all 9th age players :)

You asked what you could do to help, we need manpower and not just designers. We need all sorts of
      qualifications. Project managers, communications experts, web designers and programmers, statisticians, people that are good with excel or numbers in general etc etc. contact @Grimbold Blackhammer and @hasker, they will find the optimal fit for you:-)

Best
      Nis

Product Owner - ID LAB

• Almost forgot, I really need to also praise the work of @Tyranno who ensures that we understand your needs and wants, the community players, and @Eisenheinrich who meticulously refine and challenge the rule text to ensure that it is unambiguous and without flaws :)

Product Owner - ID LAB

The post was edited 1 time, last by Windelov ().

• Fast question.

Will you Also be revisiting our items section?

Some items go almost unused or simply dont work with the current build..

We could use better items for mount builds and mw counters, easier Aegis Access and anti-cav items.. And dare i wish for resilience items?

If needed, im sure the community would love to spill some ideas out ;)

Keep up the good work! I am excited!

Ps: Btw someone did come up with a rule for dwarf only units to carry grenades. Think it was a x-amount of nades cast either in CC or 8 yards, x dertimined by size, so 20 dwarfs = 4 nades.. One use only each nade did d3 S4 Ap 2, flaming.. extra buy.. like mad gitz in O&G book..

Cheers

The post was edited 2 times, last by Crazydwarf ().

• Tyranno wrote:

• The 4 churches (Ashuruk, Shamut, Nezibkesh and Lugar) will be more visible in the army - each will offer some variation to its prophetsuiting the theme of that church

Hi Team, loving the updates, super keen for the new book

@Tyranno + @Windelov I love the fluffy idea behind this. However rules wise, I would like to see more of a WDGs feel to these rules ie, flavour-some rules that make units play a little differently, but don't really restrict units to get the full benefit. Rather than the DE cults debarkle. Thoughts
    • Comm.Mattias wrote:

Tyranno wrote:

• The 4 churches (Ashuruk, Shamut, Nezibkesh and Lugar) will be more visible in the army - each will offer some variation to its prophetsuiting the theme of that church

Hi Team, loving the updates, super keen for the new book
      @Tyranno + @Windelov I love the fluffy idea behind this. However rules wise, I would like to see more of a WDGs feel to these rules ie, flavour-some rules that make units play a little differently, but don't really restrict units to get the full benefit. Rather than the DE cults debarkle. Thoughts

The above is more "the Prophets each have their own special rules based on their Church affiliation" than "what Prophet you pick AFFECTS YOUR ENTIRE ARMY!!!".

Background Team

• hypnotic wrote:

Perhaps some alchemys atribute substitution for Lugar ?
      To be fair, Pyromancy fits better to them and not Alchemy. Than again, the synergies are higher with Alchemy

Greetings,
      Kathal
      "When four Kings abdicate their thrones, do you really have a Kingdom anymore?"

I kind have a "blog" now: From Beer and Bretzle vol 2

[ETC 2016 - ID] [ETC 2017 - WDG] [ETC 2018 - ID] [ETC 2019 - ID]
    • Kathal wrote:

hypnotic wrote:

Perhaps some alchemys atribute substitution for Lugar ?
      To be fair, Pyromancy fits better to them and not Alchemy. Than again, the synergies are higher with Alchemy
      Greetings,
      Kathal
      As I said - substitution ;) Alchemys atribute and our Hereditary may as well be pyro spells, Both are firethemed so suits Lugars imo without getting into technicalities :)
    • WhammeWhamme wrote:

Comm.Mattias wrote:

Tyranno wrote:

Hi Team, loving the updates, super keen for the new book@Tyranno + @Windelov I love the fluffy idea behind this. However rules wise, I would like to see more of a WDGs feel to these rules ie, flavour-some rules that make units play a little differently, but don't really restrict units to get the full benefit. Rather than the DE cults debarkle. Thoughts
      The above is more "the Prophets each have their own special rules based on their Church affiliation" than "what Prophet you pick AFFECTS YOUR ENTIRE ARMY!!!".
      I hope one of the churches will give a Prophet some more combat prowess (options).
      I don't want him to be as good as a MOCT in combat and by god definitly not close to a vampire.. but we do have the framework (R5, decent armour). It's just that those 2 attacks feel like they're not quite enough to be worth putting him on a bull or giving him a weapon.
      Somethink like BH or DE currently have would be freaking awesome.