The London Open

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Hello folks

Good news, everyone got their lists in on time. Bad news, not all were correctly formatted..... X(

Anyway, apologies for the delay in getting these out. You can now find them here and on the front page.

Draw will be up later this week.

Rory
      Mainly play KoE and OnG

England Lions captain 2019/2020

Rory Stoves - Member of The London Wargaming Guild (WHGG / LWG)
      Find us at meetup.com/The-London-Warhammer-Gaming-Guild/
    • Spare Player List

680pts - High Prince, Army General, Master of Canreig Tower (plus two spells), Dragonforged Armour, Shield, Spear, Protection of Dorac, Sliver of the Blazing Dawn, Willow's Ward
      415pts - Commander, Battle Standard Bearer, High Warden of the Flame, Halberd, Light Armour, Essence of Mithril, Shield Breaker
      685pts - High Prince, Griffon, Dragonforged Armour, Lance, Shield, Cleansing Light, Diadem of Protection, Ghostly Guard, Glittering Lacquer
      190pts - 10x Citizen Archer, Musician
      190pts - 5x Elein Reaver, Bow (3+)
      775pts - 25x Flame Warden, Full Command, Navigator's Banner
      215pts - Lion Chariot
      215pts - Lion Chariot
      375pts - Frost Phoenix

Total: 4,500pts
      Mainly play KoE and OnG

• Just over a week to go, and Kiwi stalwart Gareth Barton, has kindly written up some words to review the lists.

Lorenzo Ammirati - Beast Herds
      This feels like a return to the golden olden days. Is that a good thing? I think so! The list plays to the strengths of BH without necessarily taking the bent stuff. Trying to pin this list down will be hard if it doesn’t want to play. And if it does want to fight it, one good charge will take off the world. Lorenzo is good player too. Can he make 20 different leadership test per turn? No, no one can. But he’ll try.

Oli Mather - Daemon Legions
      I don’t know what much of this does to be honest…It’s got a solid core of lust units which are the best units. The Cumin receiver is a super nice model, and an interesting build. The hellhounds are amazing for the points, but I would prefer a different upgrade. They bring good utility but hunting flammable stuff may not be their best use; although in general, stuff with regen tends to have low leadership, with the exception of UD.

Luke Williams - Daemon Legions
      Another Curlyman’s retriever! I’m told the Omen are out of favour and I do think Luke is a bit heavy on character points. Eight spells is a lot, although I know you need an extra one or two with demons. Eidelons are great and heavily underrated I feel. I do feel that there is a big gap in those Lemures not having champions. But Luke is pretty good and I’m sure he will know what to do with them. Four mageblights is a solid number too. More than 3, less than 5.

Guillermo "Guiem" Nicolau - Daemon Legions
      Nduja sausage and blood thirster! Loving the first two entries. Super glad to see the titanslayers as well. They are contentious and it’ll be good to see a meatball as spicy as Guiem using them. Apart from that the list feels light. But I know Guiem is pretty comfortable on DL.

Nic Cote - Dread Elves
      Normally I’d skip past DE because who really cares, but there are four of them, so I feel I need to at least try. This one is a pretty solid example. Triple Raiders, triple block with the alter. I don’t love the oracle build because it makes me think that they are going to be in combat which I’m not sure an Oracle should be. I do love the assassin though. In all my years of 9th I’ve only faced one once and he bitched me good.

Andrew Huntley - Dread Elves
      Andrew has taken his tiny T3 elf balls, traded them for massive T4 ones and put them on the table with a manticore (I think manticores are T4? I don’t care to check though). I like it. He’s got a dubious alter build and another combat oracle. This man does not care. He will f**k you up. He’s got Judge Dread on his side and three of the best things in the book, the Raiders. He’s ready.

Marc “Snatxo” Sancho - Dread Elves
      Marc has decided to put the Dread train into all-aboard mode and snap off the break lever. This list has less substance than white bread and more go-fast than a scalded cat. With the right match-ups, Marc will just wander through people, sex-murdering peasants and rats and everything. In the rest of the match-ups, like those with chaff or more than two ranks, the dark-elf sex-murdering arrow will be pointing the other way. But Marc don’t care.

Jake Corteen - Dread Elves
      I like Warhammer Jesus’ list. It’s got three monsters and so far (after having looked at DE, demons and beasts), the only thing that can possibly stop him is two bolt throwers and two titan slayers, so this list is probably perfect. I think Warhammer hobo’s Oracle is also good. It isn’t designed to see combat, so he’s got more for his money than the others. Alchemy adepts are some of the best value adepts too so that is solid; solid metal… Not too shabby.

Joe Parmenter - Makhar
      Yeah, I’m not reading the Makhar book at 20:00 on a Thursday in my office work. It’s got a mammoth which sounds cool. It’s got some knights that seem like they are priced to be pretty good. Actually this list might be all mounted? Apart from the Flayers? Maybe. I don’t know. I don’t think anybody does.

Darren Williams - Empire of Sonnstahl
      Inquisitor. Nice…It’s got the two big blocks, with the arcane shield and hatred and a bunch of magic and buffs. Heaps of shooting and a Stank. It’s a fairly typical EoS list though perhaps a little less tuned than some. As with all EoS, the skill of the player with it is the most important element. High skill cap. I would have liked a bit of meta-prediction and a cannon or two Imperial batteries.

Hristo Nikolov - Highborn Elves
      Looks like some w*nk*r has bought an ETC list to a post-ETC tourney. But then it’s High elves so it doesn’t matter. But it’s Hristo, so he should probably know better. I actually really like the list. Hristo doesn’t need anything from me though so I’m moving on.

Chris Bond - Infernal Dwarves
      BSB on a bull so it looks like he’s trying to be a cool guy and bring a fun list to a post-ETC tourney, then you get down a couple entries and see he’s got the wizard set-up and the Icon. But then you get down to the Steam hammers. Seems like a cool-guy choice. It’s fairly MSU, meaning there is a lot of scope for nuanced, careful play. With the magic set-up the MSU works well, so a good player will get a lot out of what is still a fairly fun list. But Bondy…

Ryan Amiri - Kingdom of Equitaine
      I choose to believe that Ryan started taking Knights Forlorn after I kept bandying on about them in the London chat. I don’t know if this is true but regardless the unit is strong. This is one of the more well-rounded KoE lists I’ve seen and I am a huge proponent of what the infantry block brings to the army. That being said, I’d prefer the Duke to be on a Peg, and let’s be honest, he would be better if he was ‘the build’. And I’d make the aspirants minimum and chuck the world-stomp banner on a bigger Realm unit. So yeah. It’s trash but I like it. Good trash.

F**k me this is a lot of Ogres. You guys all get review-lite.

Glenn Wilkinson-Tough - Ogre Khans
      Two yeti units. Nice.

John Turner - Ogre Khans
      Two Scrappling trappers Nice.

Tom Loyn - Ogre Khans
      Three pieces of chaff. Strong move

Chris Mace - Ogre Khans
      Double hunter: probably best in race

Adam Bassett - Ogre Khans
      I really like the kin eaters. Anyone that ate their family shouldn’t be f**k*d with.

Andreas Bock - Ogre Khans
      It’s a clown army. I mean that literally. Clown ogres

Gio “Dai Cazzo” Tira - Saurian Ancients
      Ok, ogres are done. Alpha carno is solid. I would like to see an obsidian rock on it. Triple skinks, three spearbacks. It’s a lot of shooting. Best though is the Caiman block. Big fan. Real big fan. The list as a whole has some interesting choices in it and I think Gio is good enough to take Jack Austin for best in race, but he’ll get angry and lose games because he’s yelling in Spanish or something.

Jack Austen - Saurian Ancients
      Don’t see the skink palanquin much so I reckon Jack has done alright there with that. The rest of the list is pretty boring. I like the big block. Should look cool if nothing else. Let’s be honest though, Jack’s list is irrelevant. If he stay’s sober he’ll do well. If he drinks he’ll do poorly. And he will drink because he’s coming back from Africa or something where works in the sex tourism industry in The Gambia I believe. That or industrial fumigation. Either way, he’ll be drinking.

Nav ‘The Master’ Hussain - Vampire Counts
      The Master on VC. VC are really difficult to play well if you can’t form coherent thoughts and your idea of table talk is sexual harassment. And this is Nav. On top of that the list is all over the shop. He’s got a ghoul star that has 5++ and fights at I6 on the charge. But Oli Mather has 9 dogs with flaming so I think Nav has really missed the meta there. I like Varkolaks and Witchcraft is a sick lore with them. I wish I could comment on what lore the adept has be I can’t because it’s not there. The rest of the list is all over the shop. But it’s Nav and I think Nav is the best.

(Side note, I got a migraine at about this point so expect quality to decline. Complain to Rory if you don’t like it; this sh*t isn’t my job you know.)

Luis Puchades - Vampire Counts
      Not sure if there is a formatting issue here or if Luis has two 40s of skeletons. I hope he does. [ED. Sadly not, a formatting error] This is a fairly straightforward Strigoi list. It’s got the big boy, the smaller boy on the big boy base, the ghouls and the ghasts. It’s also got a little unit of knights and a little unit of spawn. Feels like he’s got a lot for his money to be honest. This list is one of the more simple ways to play VC and if Luis gets good match-ups he’ll do well. If he gets that EoS list he’s going to get more wasted than Jack Austin.

Matthew Johnston - Vampire Counts
      This is probably the better of the two Strigoi lists. Mainly because it’s got the staff and True thirst. Those two things alone can complete a list like this. The bigger spawn unit and the horror are really nice. I’ve not seen a huge number of good horror targets yet, but then there haven’t been too many things to stop it either. A more difficult version to play. Hopefully Magic Matthew Johnston is up to it.

Caroline "Olive" Bradshaw - Undying Dynasties
      One of the more interesting things about this list is the spelling of Cataphracts. [ED - Suspect the hand of Luke W here]

Tom Uden - Undying Dynasties
      Second time someone has just taken an ETC list. At least Hristo had the decency to take High elves. This is a better version of the list that Tom took to ETC. He’ll probably win the event. But I doubt it’ll give him much satisfaction. Nothing can sate Tom’s thirst to f**k with other people’s hobby, nothing. Next event he’ll be running the same list, but with no ark and a KoE peg duke instead. He’ll bring a KoE peg duke in a UD list just to f**k with young kids [ED - has Tom moved on to copying Jake now?] and people trying to have a nice day out. He’ll go home and tell himself that he only did what he had to, but that’ll be a lie. Jesus would not take a list this bent Tom, and he was the literal saviour of mankind.

Chris Taylor - Warriors of the Dark Gods
      Getting a lot of love for battleshirines from these lists. Were the warriors players expecting people to castle up at the first real post-ETC event or something? Couple of units of envious chosen and some barbs. The list feels a bit light, but I think it’ll actually perform ok. When I play VC I always like to see sorcerers on battleshrines, because it means you can throw even more snipes at them. So I reckon I wouldn’t have taken that if I were writing this list. That being said, I expect Chris to do alright.

Andy Barton - Warriors of the Dark Gods
      Quite like the chosen lord here. Another battleshrine though. And I really like the big Feldrak unit. I think those things are hard as brass knuckles and haven’t seen six in one unit before. Should be cool to see how they go. But let’s move from the list to the player, as no one really cares about this list. It’s Andy we care about. He’s handsome. He’s an actor, and Felix’s wife once remarked that she didn’t think men that played toy soldiers would be that good looking. So… yeah.

Jak Payne - Warriors of the Dark Gods
      Team England in the house! Jak has the third battleshrine from three. He’s obviously expecting a lot of dwarves as well. He also has a really nice Chosen lord and I’m a fan of the bigger warrior blocks. Jak drastically over estimates how good this unit it though, and I can tell you from experience that if you roll 6 poisons from 7 ghoul attacks, Jak is beatable. He’s got not one big feldrak unit but two. English Jak get’s my vote for best in race due to the double feldrak, big chosen knight bus. It’s a go fast list.

Luke Blaxill - Warriors of the Dark Gods
      First barb chief we’ve seen so far. Also first lightening vambraces. There is a reason for that Luke. Lightening vambraces are awful. The rest of the list picks up a bit. Very surprised to only see one hellmaw in the warrior lists. I think it elevates the book a lot. I struggle to see some of the synergies here, but I do think Luke will do pretty well because most people will panic when they see the Hellmaw in action. Go to town Blaxill.
      Mainly play KoE and OnG

• Tournament hype!! Draw for round one is up.

Table 1
      Matthew Johnstone vs Adam Bassett
      Table 2
      Glenn Wilkinson-Tough vs Oli Mather
      Table 3
      Ryan Amiri vs Chris Bond
      Table 4
      Luke Blaxill vs Luke Williams
      Table 5
      Gio Tira vs Andreas Bock
      Table 6
      Nav "The Master" Hussain vs Luis Puchades
      Table 7
      Andy Barton vs Lorenzo Ammirati
      Table 8
      Tom Loyn vs Jak Payne
      Table 9
      Guiem Nicolau vs Hristo Nikolov
      Table 10
      Joe Parmenter vs Jack Austin
      Table 11
      Darren Williamson vs Jake Corteen
      Table 12
      Andrew Huntley vs Tom Uden
      Table 13
      Chris Mace vs Marc ‘Snatxo’ Sancho
      Table 14
      Chris Taylor vs Nic Cote
      Table 15
      Caroline Bradshaw vs John Turner
      Mainly play KoE and OnG

The post was edited 1 time, last by Raughri ().

• Hype train in full swing folks....match up commentary from Team England vice Captain, Felix!

Table 1

Matthew Johnstone vs Adam Bassett

Interesting matchup between shooty OK and a mixed arms VC list. The Shrieking Horror may end up being 490 points of liability, as the Thunder Cannon and weight of bow fire fishing for 6’s are likely to take it down pretty quickly. Bombardiers can severely dent the Vamp Spawn in one lucky turn of shooting. The Ghast block is nice, but I think the Courtier wants to be Bestial Bulk BSB to give them some more punch. The VC will want to spread wide against the Ogres, which will negate the Necromantic Staff raise so I would think that Adam will have the better magic phases.

Better magic phase, solid shooting, I give the win to Adam and his Ogres here.

Table 2

Glenn Wilkinson-Tough vs Oli Mather

Filthy Demons with 2 x 6 Clawed Fiends vs a nice mixed arms Ogre list…. Decent sized win for Oli and his DL here if he pushes the matchup correctly.

Table 3

Ryan Amiri vs Chris Bond

In the battle of the Lions it appears that Ryan has brought a list honed in the crucible of the England/Lions forum and Chris has brought….. a train with hammers on it. That being said, the ID magic setup will be great against both knights and forlorn. Ryan will have to push this hard to reduce the shooting he takes on the way in and ensure he can get the Hippo Duke fighting from turn 3 at the latest, so that he can do some heavy lifting.

This game isn’t ending in a draw either way. A big win to one of them, hugely swingy, but I give the edge to Ryan as Chris has clearly bought more of a “fun” list.

Table 4

Luke Blaxill vs Luke Williams

Mr Williams is a predator. He chases down the bleeding edge of broken books (BH to UD to DL) and this list is no different. He’s bringing some underused bits, but the Eidolons and Flies have no better matchup than high armour save Warriors. Even with the Hellmaw teleport nonsense and a decent amount of chaff I can only see this matchup ending one way.

Medium to big win to the dirty Demons and Luke W.

Table 5

Gio Tira vs Andreas Bock

The matchup on table 5 has more potential Tilt than a seesaw and should be a firecracker. Gio is bringing a hugely pushy SA list and Andreas, fresh from a great showing at Midlands Mayhem, his awesome clown Ogres. Hugely balanced matchup here, where things like Lygur’s Tongue or a good magic phase could push it one way or the other.

I think Andreas has the tools to take apart Gio if he is sloppy, so I will just edge this to Andreas. However, as this is game 1 between two fiery opponents, it will end in a big win.

Table 6

Nav "The Master" Hussain vs Luis Puchades

A civil war between to VC armies. I prefer Luis’ list as it is nicely balanced, however, I think Nav will do the usual where he plays hyper aggressive and stuff happens.

With better magic on his side (and no path on his adept….) I give this matchup as a win to The Master.

Table 7

Andy Barton vs Lorenzo Ammirati

There is a lot of sexy on this table with Handsome Andy playing the Italian Stallion. I played Lorenzo a few weeks back and his list does have a great amount of early game pressure. Without the Hellmaw I think Andy lacks the lateral movement to be able to react to this. How he uses his fast moving Feldraks and Chosen Knights will be key, as if he lets Lorenzo pick off the smaller units with multi charges it will be game over.

If the Warriors player plays this perfectly the win can happen, but I think Lorenzo has enough experience to force mistakes and take a big win here.

Table 8

Tom Loyn vs Jak Payne

A returning player against England’s newest cap. I like both lists a lot. Tom has a good amount of magic, some shooting to clear chaff and some punchy units. I played Jak last week with his list and found it very scary and resilient though. Another man that has been taking advantage of the combined brains of the England and Lions teams to hone his list to a sharp point.

Experience will win out the day here and I expect a decent sized win from Jak.

Table 9

Guiem Nicolau vs Hristo Nikolov

This is the game that I would want to watch if I could make it down to the event Round 1. I love the Titanslayer chariots (they should have Divining Snout Guiem!), but they are going to be dead weight in this matchup. I think Hristo will have enough shooting and Divination magic to take these Demons apart from range, however, there is always the chance that dice don’t turn up for 2 turns and he gets rushed.

If Guiem pushes, as I think he will, I expect a medium to large win to Hristo and his pointy eared ones.

Table 10

Joe vs Jack

An Alpha and a cowboy are a cool mix. Especially with the cloud shooting and a couple of monster pieces. Absolute utter Makhar filth (that for some reason I have grudged at Cardiff) from Joe. That being said, I think the zoning potential of the big stuff will help Jack and he should be able to negate Joe's shooting somewhat.

Decent sized win for Top Jack in this one.
      Table 11

Darren Williamson vs Jake Corteen

Darren has brought a shooty and magic happy Empire list and an Inquisitor on foot. I love this guy and plan to take him on a horse to the next event. I think the horse is missing here. The Hydra’s have enough lateral movement to avoid him on foot and push the matchup. The Steam Tank could do a lot of work here, but I fear it has too much to do and Jake is too experienced to let himself get distracted by it.

Due to an experience and list advantage I would have to give this one to Jake.

Table 12

More Elves! Clearly London didn’t get the memo that Elf armies are apparently crap…. Tom has said he will be playing his UD as the new update has them (with a weaker healing mechanic) so it will be interesting to see how he does. The Judges and Dancers could do some serious work if they get in unscathed.

I have this one down as a medium win to Tom as I think his magic will carry him here.

Table 13

Chris vs Snaxto

Marc has incredible lateral movement in his list, and if he uses this to his advantage to dance around I think he could take the win here against Chris “the People’s Champion” Mace. That being said, the hunters and single pieces have a lot of zoning ability themselves, so it will really come down to who utilises their single model pieces more effectively.

Magic also very even, but with a few less targets for some of Marc's ranged spells. I have a funny feeling this one will end in an incredibly bloody draw or a small win either way.

Table 14

Chris Taylor vs Nic Cote

Love the Forsaken Ones, Envy Chosen really would like to be Wrath Chosen with GW, but they are a bit pricier. Extra cool points for Nic bringing an Assassin and I also think the Yema girls can do some work here. If the Tower Guard were Judges I would give this big in Nic’s favour, but I think they might struggle to punch through the Warrior armour.

I think this Grudge match will end up as another very bloody draw.

Table 15

Caroline Bradshaw vs John Turner

Another Grudge match here with both players playing a list they are relatively familiar with. Caroline has great shooting and chaff, along with a scary magic phase, and John has full beans pushy Ogres.

I think the experience gap will be the difference here with John taking the win, unless Caroline’s shooting and magic can go crazy in the first two turns.
      Mainly play KoE and OnG

• Raughri wrote:

Table 12

More Elves! Clearly London didn’t get the memo that Elf armies are apparently crap…. Tom has said he will be playing his UD as the new update has them (with a weaker healing mechanic) so it will be interesting to see how he does. The Judges and Dancers could do some serious work if they get in unscathed.

I have this one down as a medium win to Tom as I think his magic will carry him here.

UD round 1?? I was hoping to start drinking after lunch, not first thing...
      Any chance of a redraw?

(...for my liver, obviously)
    • Just a quick heads up; Glenn Wilkinson copied my list from the ETC (Argie ogre) and a few days ago someone told me that I had played the list with 4490pts instead of 4500pts, so I think he might have copied the error as well. The list is completely legal, it just adds up to 4490 instead of 4500. Have fun at the event, cheers.
      "Having been on both the giving and receiving end of this lore: if a game of warhammer is in some ways like a game of chess, then a successful death spell feels like the equivalent of throwing a brick at the chess board."