Pinned The Fight for Avras - General Discussion Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Lich King wrote:

Next Stretch Goals will be at 150 Influence Points, going on in steps of 100 IP per Stretch Goal.

At 150 we'll unlock: KoE, DL and DE
      At 250 we'll unlock: HBE, SE and ??? (Not fix yet)

WastelandWarrior wrote:

what are the poinst caps to break through? do I need to paint some VC models?!
      Yes, you need to! :D
      250 influence points for SE :SE: ?
      It's going to be very long lol.
      Is it still possible for me to play the Sylvan Elves, to make an introductory text and present my three characters anyway?
      Will that add points to my alliance and increase the chance to unlock ES?
      For the parties, is there a mandatory number of army points or we can do small armies, because I only learn the rules of the 9th age, I still play with the rules V8 since I know them ?
    • HKYUGOK wrote:

Lich King wrote:

Next Stretch Goals will be at 150 Influence Points, going on in steps of 100 IP per Stretch Goal.

WastelandWarrior wrote:

250 influence points for SE :SE: ?It's going to be very long lol.
      Is it still possible for me to play the Sylvan Elves, to make an introductory text and present my three characters anyway?
      For the parties, is there a mandatory number of army points or we can do small armies, because I only learn the rules of the 9th age, I still play with the rules V8 since I know them ?
      I don't think that it will take long. Guess the rats are painting dozens of slaves meanwhile and release them with a big bang.

You can play whatever size and Version of the t9a you like to
    • Adaephon_Delat wrote:

HKYUGOK wrote:

Lich King wrote:

WastelandWarrior wrote:

250 influence points for SE :SE: ?It's going to be very long lol.Is it still possible for me to play the Sylvan Elves, to make an introductory text and present my three characters anyway?
      I don't think that it will take long. Guess the rats are painting dozens of slaves meanwhile and release them with a big bang.
      You can play whatever size and Version of the t9a you like to
      Ok good.
      So I'm going to do at least part of the ES with my family. ^^
      Yes I hope you say true and the VS will all publish at the same time! In the meantime, I will publish and participate as far as possible.
      Like the Sylvan elves, like a shadow, I will continue to act in the shadows for sylvainly clean interests.
      :hiddenthreat: :hiddenthreat: :hiddenthreat: :thumbup:
    • PS am I right in thinking that my bat rep & fluff & pics = 5pts? I've added them in my placeholder, is that for me to do? sorry for all the questions, just a little hazy on how the whole point accumulating thing works
      Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
    • WastelandWarrior wrote:

PS am I right in thinking that my bat rep & fluff & pics = 5pts? I've added them in my placeholder, is that for me to do? sorry for all the questions, just a little hazy on how the whole point accumulating thing works
      You're absolutely right. That's how it works. 5 points is correct. ;)

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

• III: We had reached the frontlines a few days later. Avras was a pretty big city. It looked grim to me as we crested the hill. Formations of Imperial soldiers stood before us, siege towers were being constructed. I grimaced. We still had to help take the big bridge leading into the city itself, that would prove hard. That thing is a damn meatgrinder. Both sides would be slaughtered. "Bridge of destiny," my rear. It wasn't crowded save for the warriors battling over it, mostly spearmen in front with archers and gunners behind them. The two sides would be there forever. By the look of things the city had been under siege for quite some time. Judging by the length of my beard it's been some time we've been on the road.

As mercenaries, unfortunately, we would be the first down the tube. I said "hell to that," to Captain Rick beside me. He laughed, in agreement I hope. I took my lads off down the ravine and we crept into the river. Was deep, and it was a wide river too. I could swim, but only several of my rangers had that ability. Sad. I took the best swimmers. We dressed in dark grays, blues, browns. Camouflage would help us out big here. We waited for nightfall, and then waited for our eyes to adjust. I saw the city bank across from us, full of boats, stairs, gates, small buildings. I wanted to go under, in the sewers, and come up dressed as dispossessed. Could walk in but that would be asking for an arrow in the eyeball.
      So we waited until late night, early morning. That would be the best. We slithered into the river like eels. It was cold at night, freezing. I ordered everyone to stay under until we hit the opposite bank. It was a long swim. I felt something big slap my thigh underwater. Couldn't see anything.

The city rose above me as I crawled out on my belly, my brothers and sisters around me. Johnathan was coughing. Eber was fighting leeches that had grappled his gear while he was under. I had a few myself. And then I noticed Zyloc. Zyloc was a barbarian from the north. I did not invite him on this venture. He was at home in the wilds, and was a skilled hunter definitely. But that said I did not even invite him.
      "Sorry, Fritz. I wanted to come. Left my hammer and shield at camp. Got my knife and sword. It's all I need." He grinned, he even wore one of our cloaks about his shoulders. Whatever, I dropped it.

After we had recovered we made it to a vast grate that would lead us into the city's sewers. There was no plan here, really. I just wanted to get inside, dress as a refugee for a bit, get information, and get out and back to camp, a warm meal and my comfy bedroll. I looked to Zyloc who gladly grabbed the grate and tore it off. I knew he was here for a reason. He even stepped in first, unsheathing his long knife and holding it out in front of him. We all stepped in next, blades and bows at the ready. We expected the smell, but not the amount of rats scurrying beneath our feet.
    • Abgrael, Dream’s Beguiler ChampionChosen of Kuulima the Deceiver
      Introduction and background story

Through the ash desert, the dedicated company march. The armor weight is nothing compared to the burning bite of the Sun. To spare their strengths, Abgrael convinced his comrades to make the night theirs to move. Taking a break, the company find shelter under a cliff emerging form the grey sands.

Moving silently close to Morgain, Abgrael look to the stars “Such a faint light… so far… and beautiful” mourn Kuulima’s Chosen.

“They are us to take” answer Abgrael “I will gather the strength to grasp them”, his voice muffled by his thick helm. Despite the helm, his eyes burn like sunshine “the Tree of the Possessed is two day ahead of us”.

For weeks now, the Champion was obsessed by this fairytale. Since his path crossed Welter’s path… Welter, the Dark Sorcerer.

“Why do you think the Lady of Flies will grant you her favor ?” ask Morgain “ you and I, are on the same path… I might seize this power for myself ! Are you strong enough to keep it for you, Abgrael ?”

All the other Chosen hold their breath.

Abgrael could not avoid it : Morgain have been too far by contesting openly Abgrael’s leadership. The Champion turned slowly to his offender “ come little… I’ll show you that our Mistress favor’s are all mine”, holding firmly his giant axe.

Morgain roar while he rush the few meters to Abgrael. Hitting with the strength of a falling lumber, the polearm crush loudly Abgrael heavy armor. Taken by surprise, the Champion can not avoid the attack, he choke and puke blood… with a twisted smile on his face, he retaliate to the satisfied Morgain. The giant axe describe a perfect half circle in a whistle, its handle reap Morgain’s limb. Destabilise by the strength of the assault, the Chosen fall on the ground. With a firm hand, Abgrael size Morgain’s hair to unvail the Chosen’s throat.

“Remember that moment Morgain “ the champion says with a detache manner. Morgain’s throat was too close to the axe razor’s edge to say anything. “This is the moment where you forget all your dreams… dreams of power, dreams of revenge, dreams of wellness, dreams of demonhood because you only struggle to stay alive…”

The giant axe edge bitte slowly the throat. A single tear of blood poured from the thin cut.

“Do you understand me Morgain ? Say it”

“Yes Abgrael, I …” he hesitate to finish the phrase, knowing that in front of his fellow’s comrade everyone will witness it “I understand”.

Without further delay, Abgrael let Morgain free and address to the other Chosen “All your dreams are mine… and my dream become yours. I have seen our future. Avras… and the Tree of the Possessed”
      Après, si vous êtes plus à l'aise avec les notions concrètes...

• You should call me Hans, we should be friends, have a beer and let’s talk is what he said. The usual piss from the gutter is not what was my due that night. It was not uncommon for me to have a “friend” from high places visit me to buy information. By the way, call me Araignée, for in a web of stories and lies I live. Information is my trade, I guess Hans became too fond of my skills and that night my life changed for good or rather worse.

My rebirth has been centuries ago, yet still I am my master’s thrall. By his bidding this damp lodge is my new home; the city of Avras itself is no longer safe for me. Avras my dear old home, where I lived like a beggar prince. It looks different from memory, yet much remains the same. Many of its secrets still unknown to its citizens. But not to the beggar who sees and hears all. The best way to observe Avras is from beyond the Bridge of Destiny, all must pass. Be it on their way to join the lines to enter or to venture out into the world. The nearby inn is where information of what goes on around the roads and city events is most fresh. For I am the forward observer, I am the herald of my master, I am the strategist that will bring victory to his armies and I am my master´s lapdog.

To be ready when my master calls, bat swarms and my guardian Varkolak have been sent to nearby sites of long forgotten ancient battle still fresh in my memories. Unlike the well-guarded local graveyards and unknown to the church of Sunna these sites will provide me with the soldiers my master will need. It leaves me vulnerable, without much protection. Let them come; I know some must be aware of my presence, let them come.
    • Stretch Goal reached!

The Dread Elves join the Fight for Avras to fight side by side with the rest of the Contra Status Quo alliance!

Provided by @Phaeoron

Display Spoiler

Mistress”, the letter began. “Things are now in motion that cannot be reversed. Imperial cannons roar day and night at the gates, and the mountain clans have been roused from their Holds.”

Ashaziel raised an eyebrow at that. The humans had been surprisingly swift in convincing the beardlings to their cause. Mayhaps a time more opportune would never come…

“The Undercity is restless. Verminous war bands have gotten larger and bolder in their raids of the Equitaini holdings. Something stirs in the shadows, of this I am sure.”

This was not anticipated. True, the Sonnstahl offensive Ashaziel had known was coming had been more determined than predicted, but the rats had ever been but a side note in her planning. What had stirred the craven swarms into such brash action?

“The dead are now marching openly in the streets at night. The Vampire Queen must be sensing a real threat to expose her hand thusly. The shambling hordes seem effective enough in quelling the unrest within the city, for now.” The letter was signed simply “Stillhand”.

The time had come. A letter Ashaziel had prepared in the top drawer of her desk, bound in silk and sealed in wax, appeared in her hand almost as if by itself. It contained a proposal to join in on the Sonnstahl offensive to take the city.

Ashaziel needed access to the Great Library of Avras, and the Black Sun would benefit greatly from new trade connections the city could offer should there be a change of regime. Correspondence had been running hot with many princes and princesses of the Republic of Dathen, whose support would be essential for the realization fo the coup and maintaining order under the new rule.

She was ready to light the fuse to the charge of schemes that had been in the weaving for months.

“Balcerus!”, Ashaziel called to the empty room. A deep voice, echoing as if from a well, replied from thin air, “Mistress?”

“I need you to relay a message to Stillhand, urgently”. A small winged daemon materialized on the desk, crouching, at eye level with the tall, seated elf. “And what shall we say to him, Mistress?”, the daemon inquired in a rumbling voice, licking its fangs with a long, forked tongue.

“Tell him to proceed”. The daemon blinked its yellow eyes a couple of times before bursting into booming laughter. “Finally!”, the thing exclaimed, licking its lips again.

In Avras, Tichaerion Stillhand was enjoying a simple meal in his quarters when a whispered voice uttered in his ear one, unmistakable word. Chills went down Tichaerion’s spine, and he set down his knife, straightening.

He arose, and started navigating the maze of palace corridors with purpose. Soon he was standing in front of a door, similar to the one leading into his own quarters, and gave it a quick rap.

Some shuffling from inside, and a tall but flabby man in extravagant robes opened the door warily. “Lord Councilman”, Stillhand greeted the man, who replied in unmistakeable Equitan accent, “Master Tichaerion, what could you possibly want this late in the afternoon?”

Stillhand painted his face with a polite, amicable smile. “My Lord, I am sorry to disturb your leisure, yet I believe we should discuss the matter of the undead patrolling the city. I am at a loss as to what to report to the Sovereign back in Angraith”. He flared out his hands apologetically.

“You won’t report a word without leave from His Grace Fontaine!”, Lord Charleaux hissed, and pulled Tichaerion bodily into his chambers, closing the door behind them.

The elf straightened his robes and said, “I may not be a Lord, yet I am enjoying a diplomat’s immunity, Councilman. You would do well not to forget that, my Lord.” The smile never faded from his lips.

The Councilman grunted, waving his hands dismissively, and turned to a small table with crystal goblets and half a bottle of cognac. “Things are not that dire, ambassador”, Charleaux began as he poured a drink. “Yes, some sightings have been reported of the dead walking within the city walls, but nothing substantial enough to rile up the masses. The fireborn clans have answered the call to secure our position and their mercantile interests here, and I am personally preparing a letter to my cousin, Duke Lemagnonne of Fousierre, to lend his aid…”

The Councilman was cut short by a garrotte suddenly pulled taut about his throat. Stillhand carefully pulled the flailing man farther from the crystals to keep him from shattering them.

“I fear I cannot allow that, Councilman”, Tichaerion whispered as he felt the man slowly go limp in his embrace.

He removed the Councilman’s sash and wrapped it around his neck, hoisting him up by a beam in the roof. He knocked over a small stool to lay under the suspended corpse to finish the scene, and proceeded to pick the locks on the desk drawers of the man. He perused the scrolls and half finished letters, pocketing ones he deemed needed not be seen by anyone, and left the room, fixing the lip of the lock with a splinter so that the door would lock behind him.

He allowed himself a slight smile as he hurried back to his chambers. Soon, Avras would have all new rulers. Ambassador Tichaerion might well be considered for an elevation in status in such tumultuous times…

and @Adaephon_Delat

Display Spoiler

The Imperial flagship "Stern von Aschau" laid burthed in the sea. Admiral Björn Hansen was scanning the horizon with his binoculars. His first mate Hinkebein stood beside him, nervously chewing on his fingernails and bobbing his leg.

"Are you serious admiral?" he asked in a fluttering voice.

"Schhhhht!" Hansen admonished Hinkebein and squinted grimly at him. "If ya chatter like that, me cannot concentrate."

"SHIP SPOTTED!" Seargent Corns eventually shouted from the lookout. Captain Hansen looked through his binoculars and flinched when he saw that a whole armada of black ships had appeared on the horizon and headed for them.

"ALL HANDS ON DECK! LOAD 'EM CANNONS!"

Hansen was wide awake now. He handled the binoculars over to Hinkebein and ordered him to fetch the translator. Hinkebein nodded and disappeared into the ship. In the meantime the black ships had approached frighteningly fast and were only a few hundred paces away. The crew gathered on the ship. The heavy armoured marines stood at the railing and awaited the black ships with grim glances.
      Hinkebein came back with a small humpbacked man with a Narrenwalder feather hat.

"There he is." Hinkebein said and patted the translator on his shoulder. "Good luck with 'em pointy ears."

The black armada had reached them in the meantime and one could see the feline faces of the dread elves standing on deck, showing no expression. The elves wore black armor and metal shoulder guards with elongated spikes. Each of them was holding a black spear in the one hand and had a shield in the other.

The elegant black ships had stopped but the elves made no attempt to board on the "Stern von Aschau".

"Ye won't come t'us?" Hansen asked and looked at the translator, when they suddenly were startled by a loud roar: In the sky, a huge black dragon had appeared and headed directly to the "Stern von Aschau".

"A F'CKIN' DRAGON, AIM!" Hansen ordered screaming.

"WAIT!", the translator interjected. "It is their leader!"

Hansen hesitated, but eventually gave the signal not to shoot. The dragon came closer, but stopped a dozend paces away. The Dragon Rider swung out of the saddle and drifted toward the deck of the "Stern von Aschau". The crew of the ship stared at the hovering woman with open mouths. The elf landed on the deck a few paces away from the Admiral and they all could see now without a doubt that it was a female elf. She walked towards Hansen. Her movements were slow and flowing, enhancing the woman's cat-like impression. She stopped, looked at the translator and then Hansen and began to speak. Her language sounded peculiarly melodic.
      The interpreter translated:

"So you are the people with whom I am to negotiate the fall of the Arandai, with which she means the highborn elves. And she asks if you are the Emperor... "

The translator looked at Hansen and shrugged. Hansen laughed out loud, but was interrupted by the elf, who had begun again with her miraculous singing.

"She asks how we plan to defeat the Arandai with such a meager fleet of old-fashioned ships."

Hansen's eyes darkened.

"Gotta tell'er that she's gonna be the one..."

But the dread elf had interrupted him again and kept on singing her strange language.

"She says that they will take care of the highborn elves ships. In exchange they demand to get every single piece that will be looted from the Arandei. Furthermore they want to establish a tradepoint once the city is conquered."

Admiral Hansen just looked at her and nodded.

"Tell 'er that we're ok with'at."

The interpreter translated, the dread elf nodded, closed her eyes and began to drift back to her dragon.

"That was weird. Bring me a bottle of rum, Hinkebein." Hansen said, and one might have seen the relief on his face.

Thank you guys, for this great introduction!

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

• Is there a place where you will be collating all the direct campaign fluff introductions and main story?

Also loving everyones work guys! Truly very insipiring stuff!
      Find me now on Twitter @luckysixesPTG
      Visit our Youtube channel and latest project for book reviews, video battle reports and much much more!

Proxy Table Gaming Youtube Channel
      The Many Adventures of Lucky-Sixes
      THE QUICK-STARTER WORLD CUP
    • PTG-Lucky-Sixes wrote:

Is there a place where you will be collating all the direct campaign fluff introductions and main story?

Also loving everyones work guys! Truly very insipiring stuff!
      The Background Thread! Will add the Introduction there as soon as it has been tidied up and pinned by mods.

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support