The Fight for Avras - General Discussion Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• New

Yeah its safe to say I got overexcited again! I'm sorry :attack:

lol also, it appears it is too much to include on my placeholder entry. I feel a link coming on...
      Find me now on Twitter @luckysixesPTG
      Visit our Youtube channel and latest project for book reviews, video battle reports and much much more!

Proxy Table Gaming Youtube Channel
      The Many Adventures of Lucky-Sixes
      THE QUICK-STARTER WORLD CUP
    • New

PTG-Lucky-Sixes wrote:

Yeah its safe to say I got overexcited again! I'm sorry :attack:

lol also, it appears it is too much to include on my placeholder entry. I feel a link coming on...
      theatrical reading on yer YT channel! 10/10 would listen while painting!
      Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
    • New

VI: The night. I took Cat, Vuth, Trapper, Gregor the Grim and the rest when with Om and Zyloc. They had spent the remainder of the evening working on turning bottles of rum into fine firebombs in order to blow up and burn the nearby garrison. The other team, us, would go to the bridge, fight like hell. The fires and explosions should draw enough away from the frontline that we can slip in, open up the gate for the bulk of the Imperial horde and our guys on the outside.

We got to work at about midnight. The Avrasians put up a fight, but when the bombs went off they dropped what they were doing and left. We made our way to the bridge, murdered every Avrasian and merc stationed there, and I ran down the side stairs. We were on the other side of the river now after about twenty minutes of hard-pressed fighting. I found there a bolted door with a bar across it. Unbarred and unlocked it, opened it. It was small so only a person at a time could fit. Better than nothing. a few more bombs went off back in the city. I ran to the camp outside, found Kurt. Within an hour everyone was geared up. We ran back in. Once everyone was inside we fought those still defending the bridge. It was a harsh fight, let nobody get away unscathed. The Black Birds had now made it in, and the rest of the Imperial forces were allowed entry into the city. It was a hot, bloody few days since we had arrive, and our first objective was finally completed. Another few firebombs. Kurt led the way into the city proper. I had made sure to steer him clear of the infirmiry, those poor sods didn't deserve to die while wounded, that'd be downright wrong. We made it to the burning garrison. I saw Zyloc move around with his sword, cutting down Avrasian after Avrasian. The bulk of the Black Birds battle force charged into the fire-lit palisade, starting to fight amongst the burning tents and buildings. I took my rangers and we climbed a nearby building to begin sniping the enemy position. For a force made up mostly of militia and town guard, they were ill-equipped to fight a professional enemy so close on their home turf. The rest of the Imperial forces streamed in like an avalanche in the night. The air with thick with humidity and the smell of death. Militia came around behind and started attacking our rearguard and the front of the Imperial column. Those ones fell by our arrows. It was now that the grate in the middle courtyard burst forth and a stream of vermin and ratmen climbed forth like a furry geyser. I felt sick to my stomach just seeing the things. Our forces turned on them, and surprisingly so did the Avrasians. It was a brutal battle but after a while, while the sun rose and the sky was pink and blue, the rats retreated to the sewers, the surviving guards and militia hobbled over to Avrasian-held districts, and we just started taking up temporary residence in the district with the charred barracks. The company doc switched my bandages. The injury looked a bit worse, but what could I do. Doc did his own stitching of the knife cut, grumbling about shoddy stitching, and bandaged it up again then turned to look at the next injury in the room. I downed some Imperial vodka. It helped, it really did. I was tired after the night. I was told I'd be in bed the rest of the day. I protested but they threatened to call Kurt in. The lieutenant came to visit me, I gave him my full report, almost skipping the death of Stephanie. He didn't like that bit but I had to tell him. Someone had to know. I was pretty drunk at this point so of course I cried. Zyloc sat by my side and we drank the rest of the vodka together. I'm liking the savage more by the day.

The Imperials began setting up a camp in the district whilst holding off the assaults from other districts. More soldiers were coming into the town. Operation Foothold was a success.
    • New

Phaeoron wrote:

Lucky6s, my man, what an enjoyable read! You have a knack for it!
      Thanks man that means a lot! Gotta say though that i had plenty of grammar help from my buddy @PTG - Hyper-G! So props to him for making it a bit easier to read lol
      Find me now on Twitter @luckysixesPTG
      Visit our Youtube channel and latest project for book reviews, video battle reports and much much more!

Proxy Table Gaming Youtube Channel
      The Many Adventures of Lucky-Sixes
      THE QUICK-STARTER WORLD CUP
    • New

Hi everybody!

I show you the WIP of my next miniatures, a dark coach but converted for my undead pirates army !

We can say that the pirates stole an Altar to the Empire's troops and now Jack Pot, the vampire captain of the army, use it as a dark coach ;)

Use the link to see the pictures:

Hope you enjoy the converting work, next step the painting :) !

Julos
    • New

I kind of loose the overview... maybe we should do a short post at the end of each day what significantly changed in the story line; and for longer stories or pictures, I would appreciate very much the "spoiler"-function. I know its good stuff you guys write, but many of us who participate simply lack the time to read and scroll through everything. Maybe just a short note "this and this happened, fluff about character X, battle report Y" and then a Spoiler with the details. That way everyone can follow the whole campaign without spending an hour per day or more reading, and really having a problem if skipping 1-2 days. And if someone has more time or interest, open the spoiler and read the whole stuff.

Besides that, I love the stories which envolved around Avras!
    • New

da_griech wrote:

I kind of loose the overview... maybe we should do a short post at the end of each day what significantly changed in the story line; and for longer stories or pictures, I would appreciate very much the "spoiler"-function. I know its good stuff you guys write, but many of us who participate simply lack the time to read and scroll through everything. Maybe just a short note "this and this happened, fluff about character X, battle report Y" and then a Spoiler with the details. That way everyone can follow the whole campaign without spending an hour per day or more reading, and really having a problem if skipping 1-2 days. And if someone has more time or interest, open the spoiler and read the whole stuff.

I like that and will definitely try it out the next post.
    • New

da_griech wrote:

That is a good idea but short notes also take their time. Maybe we can start to do this once per week. Everyone is invited to help with this.

This subforum definetely has to be restructured. Problem is that we do not have modrights. It would help a lot to have those..
    • New

Hello everyone.
      Here is my introductory text for the Sylvan Elves.
      I hope that you will like it and that it will give envy to other Sylvan elves generals to join us.
      Do not hesitate to tell me what you think.
      I hope my text is readable and does not involve too much translation error.

Cheers

Hugo

Sylvan elves :SE: :

The Tava Ambar flinched so loudly that golden leaves on top and silvered on the underside fell dancing in the air and went to rest at the feet of a splendid winged creature. Surprised, Queen Sylve of Wyscan, the avatar of the Mother Goddess of the Elves, looked up at the forest's God Tree. She knew that only an upheaval in the weft could shake it up.

- You too have felt it my queen?
      - Ëalinya, I'm delighted with your presence, she said in her divine, enchanting voice.
      If the Tava Ambar wakes up, it means that dark forces are at work!
      - Maybe we should ask an Oracle to the spirits of the tree? Ëalinya the prophetess seemed worried too.
      - You are right, accompany me in his tree trunk to receive their light.

The mystical tree was not like his descendants since his heart was only change. The latter delivered his secrets as he saw fit and as he deemed useful, like a God. So the queen and her companion had no idea what they would discover.
      They thus plunged into dark galleries, between roots, passing through rooms always unknown and moving. Whenever the queen had entered this surprising field, she discovered new pieces, each with a utility of its own.

Time did not have the same logic in this labyrinth as outside and they did not know how long they were cautiously walking in the faint light of strange little minerals. Maybe they had been walking for days or just for a few minutes?
      They paced calmly along the long corridors, the grave and determined expression. Suddenly, a room presented itself to them. It was oval and a table of the same shape, structured with branches or intertwined roots, sat in the center of the room. No chairs seemed to have formed to allow the guests to sit down. In the middle of the cabinet, an emerald-colored crystal floated like suspended by an invisible thread. It was the only source of light in this place, creating a fairy and forest atmosphere.
      Instinctively, the two accomplices held out their hands together towards the sparkling mineral. The stone glistened so much that they were dazzled and had to close their eyes.
      A form of energy came to invade them and tingling up their arms and their hair began to waver towards the ceiling. It was powerful and she caught herself breathing faster and faster. Suddenly everything went white.

Wyscan's World Tree had agreed to deliver some of his memory.

At the dawn of time, during the war of liberation that opposed the armies of ancients Saurians to other races, a city that belonged to the strange reptilian humanoids was in flames. In this backdrop, the queen and her prophetess saw in their first vision of former slaves fall by the hundreds face the disciplined hordes of saurian, but they did not back down and continued to stand proudly against their former masters. Everywhere the different peoples fought for their precarious survival and this mad quest for freedom. Legends were born of this time and peoples won historical victories that upset the fate of the world.

In this chaotic tumult, a wild-eyed Elf druid was see the battle. His slender body, covered with tattoo, dripped with sweat and shuddered with barely contained anger. At his side a terrifying warrior, all in elegant muscles, was clutching his stone sword and whiten his knuckles. Behind them was a gigantic tree rising like a titan to the sky. This plant giant was a God Tree like the Tava Ambar of Wyscan. One of those many living gods, father of all the trees that then covered the world before being destroyed by the madness experienced in the 9 ages.

Niellùnë the mage opened his mouth in a language long lost:

- This war is more devastating than we had predicted. Other peoples in their precipitation have destroyed as many trees as lizards. We must protect him and spirits lives in the tree at the risk of our lives.
      - Perhaps these spirits should also take part in the fight instead of relying on the only race who care about them.
      - This is my intention Macarcàno. Join your warriors and protect me while I wake them up.

These two fighters disappeared at the sight of the two fae of Wyscan, and were replaced by the image of a gigantic tree in flame, then of battles opposing giant rats and a coalition of men, dwarves and elves. A dazzling avatar was at their side and faced an immense and powerful rat. It must have been Sunna. Then the visions were still troubled to reveal then a great and powerful city cut in two by a river with dark waters. The sylvan queen recognized the distant city of Avras, seat of the Sonnstahl sword.
      On the largest bank, almost in the middle of the city, a strange, tall building spewed waves of dark energy toward the sky. Where did this magic come from and who was at the origin? The shadow of a vampire appeared to them succinctly, as well as servants of the dark gods and even humanoid rats. They wanted to push the search further but everything became blurred again. The tree refused them this information to show them something else.

Like birds, the visions made them fly over the mediocre vestiges of the forests of yesteryear. Humans had, for their grain crops, buildings and other needs, frantically cut trees around the city. The two sylvan elves did not understand this need to destroy when the world had been created to offer everything the living people needed! While raising their hands to gather food, they cut trees and scratch the earth our Mother to grow what was already there!
      While magic allows trees to build safe and comfortable homes, they shave everything to build buildings.
      By breaking the harmony and balance of nature, other races greatly weaken and damage the world. Sylvans elves peoples will never understand other races and their lack of respect for life.

The queen and the prophetess were lost in their grudges and their indignations when a wood attracted their attention. It was busier than the others and big of hundreds of hectares. They flew to his center and landed in a beautiful, ruled clearing crowned with majestic trees with golden and silver leaves. They saw old and terrible minds sleeping deep in their bosom. Only the sylvan elves had kept the ability to see spirits of the forest like hearts beating.
      That's where the Tava Ambar wanted to take them. No doubt they were watching the offspring of the God Tree that once reigned in the region.

Now everything became clear to their minds! The black magic flowing from Avras risks covering the region and threatening this wood full of life and magic. The sylvan elves have the sacred duty to protect these vestiges of ancient age, even forming alliances with other backward species such as men, dwarves or their cousins of the sea.

Once again everything became white and dazzling and a feeling of falling invaded them.

The two women elves awoke to this memory shared by the God Tree in which they were. Connected to all forms of life, that's what he had seen and felt.
      The Queen and her counselor came out caring about the ancient tree, greeted by many murmurs. At the foot of the tree wen gathered druids and maidens briars. They too had felt the shudder of the tree.

The queen then addressed her subjects.

- Find the king my sisters and brothers. My husband must be warned of a new attack on creation!

King Cadaron was an avatar of Amhair but in his aspect of the hunter. He had long deer antlers and a powerful, gnarled stature. He embodied the physical aspect of nature and ruled over every form of life in Wyscan.
      He was tracking a monster infiltrated into his land with wild huntmen when envoys of the queen burst in.
      Unhappy to be disturbed in full stalking, the king turned his terrible emerald eyes towards the disruptive ones. Genoa and frightened, they quickly informed him of the convocation of his beloved.
      In the name of his lady, without any hesitation, he immediately set off for the Tava Ambar.
      The queen was waiting for her, seated on a chair made of flowering lianas, her gaze full of love and admiration for the eternal elect of her heart.

- My queen ! To see you is a divine enchantment. Cadaron's gaze was one of a thousand-year-old love. No one on earth could love so intensely as at this moment.
      - My love, your words warm my heart but I summoned you for troubling news.
      - What can a king do for his queen?
      - Find heroes and an army to protect nobles and olds spirits.
      - It will be done so my lady, I swear.

It was thus that Cadaron, the king-hunter of Wyscan, was commissioned to find heroes worthy of his queen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the little music that goes with it. She is from Lind Erebros.
      One can very well imagine that instead of the prophecy of Melian in the Silmarillon it is that of the Queen of Wyscan.

The post was edited 16 times, last by HKYUGOK ().

• New

Hello, thanks for yours likes. If there are any of you who want to know the fluff of Tava Ambar and Tava Valassë, the two Gods Trees of the world, I created a thread about it. Good reading.
      Cheers

Hugo

Gods trees of Wyscan and Cemen Cala. The Tava Ambar and Tava Valassë

The post was edited 2 times, last by HKYUGOK ().

• New

Spartikus

Little is known of the origins of Spartikus, leader of the great slave uprising of Verm. It is believed that before he gained fame in the fighting pits he fought in the armies of Under-Avras, possibly as a low-level chief. Before the revolt that made him infamous he was known to have organized the normally mob-like groups of pit-fighters into rough formations in the arena, allowing them in one instance to bring down two Abominations in front of a bewildered crowd.

This penchant for leadership, certainly unusual among verminkind, allowed him and a band of slaves armed with tools and kitchen utensils to fight their way through the prison's meager defenses and out onto the streets. The commotion and resultant attempts by guards to apprehend every slave in sight caused a city-wide panic, as stampeding slaves and pit fighters rushed to escape Verm. Through sheer numbers and willpower they forced their way through the main gates and escaped into the surrounding tunnels.

In the days that followed a hastily assembled Vermin Legion was dispatched to round up the runaways. Instead of finding the slaves in small, scattered groups, however, they were ambushed by Spartikus near an underground lake. Never believing they would have met an organized force in open combat the legion was spread out in a long, patrolling file, and were routed almost instantly upon seeing the numerically superior force. A majority drowned in the lake trying to escape, dragged under the water by their heavy equipment or chased down by the enraged slaves.

Upon hearing word of the legion's destruction, the council at Verm commissioned a second army be raised at once, fearing news that the rebel army was growing in size and marching back toward the capital. This new legion, twice the size of the original and swelled by ranks of the council's personal bodyguard, set out more cautiously to hunt down Spartikus' force. They found the slaves encamped at the bank of the magma chamber which fed to the Mt. Vesuven volcano above, and upon seeing their numbers and defensive position, opted to besiege the mountain and starve them out. Spartikus, anticipating this, had ordered a quarter of his vermin to scale down the cliffs and circle around behind the opposing force. When the vermin legion reacted to the surprise attack by redirecting their troops to the back of their encampment, the bulk of Spartikus' force charged down the mountain from the magma chamber. The legion, hit from both sides, fought valiantly for rats, and the fighting lasted several minutes before the army was broken and scattered to the tunnels.

What happened next is a matter of some historical debate. It is believed that Spartikus wished to flee to freedom above ground and steal ships to sail away from Avras, while some of his top lieutenants, including Crixus and Scab-Eye, wished to march back on Verm and avenge their prior captivity. Regardless of their motivations, the slave army was split, and those that did not die in the resulting brawl between the two factions perished in the magma wave caused by the sudden eruption of Mt. Vesuven above. The third legion dispatched to finish off Spartikus' army, discovering the charred remains of the rebels, quickly returned to Verm and claimed credit for vanquishing the enemy.

The city council had a grotesque statue of Spartikus placed in the arena prison with the phrase: "By blade or volcano, death comes quickly for all slaves." There hasn't been an uprising since.
    • New

Do any of you have the "homebrew template" .doc file where you've filled out some additional entries that I could have and is still modifiable?

I'm trying to put my homebrew book in writing but have some major issues in duplicating the example entries therein to have more than one type of character etc...

No points awarded for this, but might as well share it since I wrote it already. Here is what the Black Sun is about (the introduction chapter to the homebrew book) :D :
      Display Spoiler

The Order of the Black Sun

The Order was founded on a vision. A vision of a past long forgotten, when the sun had not yet dawned upon the young world to lend its warmth to the cold-blooded ones that came to rule it for an Age.

Before the First Dawn there was only starlight. It was in this shadowed world where the elves first opened their eyes, and then their mouths to sing and to speak. The Ages of Stars were the elves’ to rule, teaching their lessers language to give praise to the world they had been given, and laws to preserve it.

The Ninth Age since the First Dawn is the latest in a long succession of Ages of Chaos. All peoples tear at eachother and rip asunder the once pristine world with them, the most precious of gifts so carelessly squandered. This can not be tolerated any longer.

Though he knew not how, one elf saw clearly what it would take for the world to be saved from its peoples.

The beautiful sun that had given forth a new world of plenty for its children was the very thing burning everything out. The Ages of Stars were slow, tranquil and constant. All things were in harmony, and the elves guided all others in its keeping. So should it be once more.

So, the young elf took it upon himself to find the way. The means to put out the fire of the sun, and return to the promise of a slow eternity the Star Ages held.

He spoke of his vision, gathering about himself a following of kindred spirits devoted to saving all life from themselves. More and more saw the truth in his words, and soon what began as little more than a cult had grown to an independent city-state; Angraith, the City of Elders Stars.

There, the Sovereign Prince of the Black Sun delves deeper and deeper into ancient texts of arcane lore, delving at the roots of existence to discover the mechanisms that run our world. His reach is growing long, his armies bold, and his thirst for knowledge nigh boundless.

Resistance is futile.

The Second Age of the Stars will come.
      "You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -Death
      Phae's Pointy-Ear Blog: Elves in a Corner