Pinned The Fight for Avras - General Discussion Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• WarlordHU wrote:

My first piece of background. Not sure if its good enoough:
      Display Spoiler
      Roland Du Morraine

The lands of Morraine lie in the far Eastern part of the Kingdom of Equitaine, just East of Guenac where the river Guéon meets the Wyscan Forest and the steep rocky mountains of the Nevaz Vanez Hold. It is a fairly small dukedom, yet it is one of the most important ones. The task of guarding the border from icoming attacks is not an easy one, when diplomacy fails with the surrounding nations this is the duchy that must stand strong and repell the invaders if they decide to attack.
      Because of this the ruling dukes here are battle hardened, and great strategists. Currently Roland is the one guarding the eastern borders under the two black ravens of his banner.
      Roland was born a noble, with his ancestors being the rulers of Morraine since Gilles de Raux's reign. The family has earned quite a renown for fighting off various hordes of orcs, vermin and vampires, yet it seems intrerest may weave strange alliances.

„I bring a message to you my Lord, from king Henry himself, your hands only!” -said the messenger while gasping for air after the long run across the enormous castle.
      The sunlight was shining through the colourful windows-which depicted great heroes and even greater deeds- at a statue that was made to worship the Lady. The knight kneeling before it didnt say anything.
      „My Lord this is a very urgent message.”-tried the herald again.
      The knight slowly stood up and as he finished his prayer. He extended his arm and reached for the rolled paper that the messenger had in his hand.
      „Thank you Artus! You may leave now.”-the knight gestured.
      „As you wish my lord.”-bowed Artus and left the small chapel.
      „Hmm, green?.” the knight whispered to himself as he saw the wax seal on the parchment, which meant that the message was top priority and must be carefully protected.

„Sir Roland!

It seems dark clouds are gathering above the great city of Avras. A great war is on the horizon.

The Empire of Sonnsthal is preparing an attack on the city, but not alone. The dwarves the Dread Elves and the Ogre Kingdoms have already joined them, but they are negotiating with the orcs too.

King Fontaine is considered a traitor by some of our nobles, but Avras still belongs to me and to the kingdom. But the Fontaine is less of a concern for now. The rumours around the Queen's identity are now confirmed by several of our ambassadors, messengers and scouts. Nereida is a vampire.

She is setting up the defenses of the city, and managed to gather some allies to help her. She asked for our kingdoms assistance too.

I have considered several options,but I have finally came to a decision: We will, join the vampire queen and her allies and aid the forces defending the city.

I know that you are not happy with this decision Sir Roland, as you have fought against vampires many times, and I thank you for that, but keeping the status quo for now, might mean that we can later fully reclaim controll of the city. Rally your men and start marching for Avras!

I have already sent word to several other dukes. You dont have to worry about the safety of your lands, it will all be taken care of.

For the Kingdom and The Lady!

Henry king of Equitaine”

„Gather the knights Artus! We are going to war!”

May continue if its good.
      I like it. Since we don't have anything else i would like to take your text as an introduction for the KoE if you don't mind.
    • Adaephon_Delat wrote:

WarlordHU wrote:

Display Spoiler
      Roland Du Morraine

The lands of Morraine lie in the far Eastern part of the Kingdom of Equitaine, just East of Guenac where the river Guéon meets the Wyscan Forest and the steep rocky mountains of the Nevaz Vanez Hold. It is a fairly small dukedom, yet it is one of the most important ones. The task of guarding the border from icoming attacks is not an easy one, when diplomacy fails with the surrounding nations this is the duchy that must stand strong and repell the invaders if they decide to attack.
      Because of this the ruling dukes here are battle hardened, and great strategists. Currently Roland is the one guarding the eastern borders under the two black ravens of his banner.
      Roland was born a noble, with his ancestors being the rulers of Morraine since Gilles de Raux's reign. The family has earned quite a renown for fighting off various hordes of orcs, vermin and vampires, yet it seems intrerest may weave strange alliances.

„I bring a message to you my Lord, from king Henry himself, your hands only!” -said the messenger while gasping for air after the long run across the enormous castle.
      The sunlight was shining through the colourful windows-which depicted great heroes and even greater deeds- at a statue that was made to worship the Lady. The knight kneeling before it didnt say anything.
      The knight slowly stood up and as he finished his prayer. He extended his arm and reached for the rolled paper that the messenger had in his hand.
      „Hmm, green?.” the knight whispered to himself as he saw the wax seal on the parchment, which meant that the message was top priority and must be carefully protected.

„Sir Roland!

It seems dark clouds are gathering above the great city of Avras. A great war is on the horizon.

The Empire of Sonnsthal is preparing an attack on the city, but not alone. The dwarves the Dread Elves and the Ogre Kingdoms have already joined them, but they are negotiating with the orcs too.

King Fontaine is considered a traitor by some of our nobles, but Avras still belongs to me and to the kingdom. But the Fontaine is less of a concern for now. The rumours around the Queen's identity are now confirmed by several of our ambassadors, messengers and scouts. Nereida is a vampire.

She is setting up the defenses of the city, and managed to gather some allies to help her. She asked for our kingdoms assistance too.

I have considered several options,but I have finally came to a decision: We will, join the vampire queen and her allies and aid the forces defending the city.

I know that you are not happy with this decision Sir Roland, as you have fought against vampires many times, and I thank you for that, but keeping the status quo for now, might mean that we can later fully reclaim controll of the city. Rally your men and start marching for Avras!

I have already sent word to several other dukes. You dont have to worry about the safety of your lands, it will all be taken care of.

Henry king of Equitaine”

I like it. Since we don't have anything else i would like to take your text as an introduction for the KoE if you don't mind.
      Sure! I would be really happy!
    • WarlordHU wrote:

Display Spoiler
      Roland Du Morraine

„Sir Roland!

Henry king of Equitaine”

Love it. I thought Henry the Young was agree with the Emperor though
    • WastelandWarrior wrote:

Evz22 wrote:

@'WastelandWarrior my dude, stop. You're making me want to drop money on HATE. That looks glorious. 10/10 would face on the field.
      DO IT!!!!! the models are killer. I don't know where you are based but if you are UK based or ever in the UK with time to spare I'd happily give you a game!
      Would totally take you up on that offer were I not in New England hahaha.
    • Hello everyone. I suggest you read today the first presentation of my heroes. As I am the only Sylvan elves, each of my texts will have a chapter and a title to form a short story. Good reading.
      Cheers

Hugo

First Hero :
      Master druid
      Aran Mîrcalen Isthîr (The green jewels lord, master of knowledge)
      And his horse Rochfain

Chapter 2

The convocation of the king

In a region of Wyscan, a rain sometimes fine, sometimes abundant, fell day after day. There was no sun to warm and dry clothes, no birds to accompany the sunrise, just the rhythmic sound of drops and permanent humidity. In Wyscan magic was ubiquitous and the elves were connected to it. So much so that when one of them, more connected to the forest than the others, collapsed with sorrow, the rain fell to accompany his mood. This is what happened to this country when the local Druid lord lost his beloved wife.

Aran Mîrcalen Isthîr walked melancholy in her rainy realm. Not a day goes by without, the memory of his sweet wife Fînanor coming to haunt him. In the elves, emotions were experienced with an intensity unknown to other species. The drops that pearled on his cheeks and his yellow-green hair reminded him of this difficult reality. He could not remember the feeling of the sun on his skin, yet no doubt he would need it at this moment. Unfortunately, he really did not know how to leave his sadness. Fînanor's face was worthy of an avatar of the goddess, so much so that she was considered one of the most beautiful elves women in the forest. But even if the memory of her delicate face was sobbing, it was the color of her hair that saddened her the most. They shone an intense blonde reminiscent of the sun. That is why, even if it would do him good, he no longer wished to see the sun shine high in the sky, because each of his rays reminded him of the splendor of his disappeared wife.

He always felt guilty. He should have felt it, he should have predicted it, but it was not. The vampire who took his wife had used charms to hide his presence. Even the spirits of his kingdom could not appease his pain, not even his people who, true to their lord, never spoke again of the beautiful elf disappeared, even during the tracking and killing of the monster. Mîrcalen was then a druidism novice when the drama came. But even this fact could not console him. He should have smelled the vampire! Since then he had been practicing magic, day and night, accompanied by the rain that had been falling on his land since his grief. This is exactly what he was about to do today, like the previous one and the one before. Training to become a master and revenge had become his only reason to exist. Of course, he had subjects to watch out for, but in his inner good he knew that a destiny was waiting for him somewhere, and that he would have a role to play against the forces of darkness.

A strange sensation took him out of his reverie. A heavy calm, despite the rain, had invaded the place where he was. Something was coming, he felt it. Without really knowing why, fear took him. Panic was drumming in his mind and he wanted to run away. But he remained frozen on the spot as his legs were paralyzed. It is as if he had fallen prey to an invisible and powerful predator. Had he practiced magic so much to feel his cowardly emotions? He could not believe it was happening! Was it his time?
      A silhouette pass to his right, then another to the left, then two ... He was encircled! Was it wolves! He was their friend though. Why would they chase him? No it could not be them. But what was it?

As fast as the wind, a presence appeared on his back. How could she have surprised him so quickly? It is with astonishment that the druid has discovered the wild appearance of the being who faced him, the spearhead lowered, on his steed. In the middle of a scary helmet that completely covered his face, two emerald eyes with a possessed look watched him. No words came out of this dark character. His mount, a muscular and elegant deer, looked at him with a look so wild.
      The strange character was joined by other riders similar to this one. It was now impossible for Mîrcalen to flee, nor to use magic without losing her life. He was totally trapped.

Suddenly, the first runner, the one who surprised him, spoke. His voice was serious and authoritative, with a very strange supernatural note.

- Do not move Mîrcalen, your king wants to talk to you.
      - My king ... the druid was surprised. His king? That would mean that ...

The sound of breaking branches on the ground made him jump. On his right, in the foliage of the huge ferns of his kingdom, a gigantic horned silhouette approached. It was him! Cadaron, the avatar of the god of the hunt, the king of Wyscan himself! But what was he doing in this sad region? And why for him? The druid staggered, he thought himself condemned. He was not mistaken, his time had really arrived. The king came to punish him for letting his beautiful wife die from the hand of a vampire who had disturbed the harmony of the forest. If it were to be so, he would accept his fate because he was certain he deserved it.

The king was now above him. His breath reminded him of moss and lichen and he gasped. His stature was so great that his faithful companions could barely reach his shoulders. Now he understands it. These horsemen were wild huntmen, the faithful hunting companions of the king. They who roam the forest to defeat the enemies of Cadaron and who compose his court. These had pushed themselves to let their god address the noble of this domain. Although resigned to her fate, Mîrcalen could not help trembling at the hunters and their gods.

- Mîrcalen, the king's voice froze the blood of the elf, he had never heard such a tone! The least of her cells were touched and ready to obey, your queen has a mission for you and orders you to carry it out.
      - ... The druid did not know how to answer and preferred to remain silent.
      - A harmful magic has appeared in Avras and ancient spirits of creation are threatened in a wood around the city. Find the Dryad AncientFaeriaura Taurmân to accompany you and help you save these millennial spirits. You must also choose heroes you trust and an army to accompany you and together to discover what is happening in Avras and end it.
      Whatever the purpose of your mission, return at any cost with the ancient spirits and seeds of their trees. Now go and do not come back until you're done!
      - Yes, my king, replied the nobleman, in a state of shock, I obey and leave immediately.

Mîrcalen would run as fast as his legs could wanted because he wanted to put a maximum distance with the king. His presence had terrified him and he would never forget this unexpected encounter. But despite everything he was happy for the first time since the fatal day that changed his life. The destiny he longed for in the depths of his life might be announced? Could he finally know his vengeance on the forces of evil?

He hissed a sweet and melancholy melody to call Rochfain his steed. He then took the direction of Orn Naergon where was his apprentice, the young Elanor Lûthrill. At that moment, a ray of sunshine pierced the clouds of this usually so sad region, which for the first time in years had been know a glimmer of hope. The druid went to seek his heroes to accomplish the mission that the queen had entrusted to him. He had become his champion and for nothing in the world he would disappoint her, even if he died for that.

The post was edited 4 times, last by HKYUGOK ().

• tl;dr the Black Birds manage to break the stalemate with some Imperial deserters

XI:
      Display Spoiler
      I was healthy a few weeks later. That was weary, watching my brothers and sisters run into a tight corridor-turned-meat grinder, only some coming back. Always they returned bloodied and beaten. Then Zyloc decided to show himself with a few units of Imperials no less. The fighter had been in a wolfskin cloak, smoking a pipe and chugging an ale, watching the ruined cityscape. Occasionally we would see figures scampering through the ghostly ravaged buildings.
      "They wanted me to help escort some man from one of the regiments." He puffed. "We fought our way here, and here we are. I see your people have not budged an inch."
      "Nor have we given an inch." I stood, my leg supported by some brace-like thing the doc had thrown together on my leg. He said it would help but to go easy. I was to be stationed at the rear, with my bowmen.
      "Now you have myself and these damned fine Imperial lads!" he waved over to them. They were all in dark uniforms, blackened by the soot and ashes of the fighting. They conveniently matched the uniforms the Black Birds used. "I invited these lads. Their Marshal was cut down in the field. Avrasi got to him. I think it was the rats but whatever." He puffed.
      "So... you just took command of an Imperial regiment? Is this legal?" Zyloc laughed, standing.
      "Is anything in these civilized lands legal? Come we have a hallway to flood!" He picked up his hammer and called to the Imperials. They gathered to him. Kurt and Rick asked me what was going on but it was too late. The madman was leading a unit of armed and armored guardsmen over the blood-red plank into the adjoining building, forming a shield wall. Kurt barked. I hollered at the rangers, what little could fight. We decided to go in too, Kurt and Rick at the fore. Arrows and bolts flew up at us. Grim battered a bolt away with a shield before it could hit me in my bad leg. A man slipped off the blood pooling the balcony and fell to the body-choked street below with a scream. He was cut down by bolts before he hit the ground. Poor man. We entered. It was dark, hot. Humidity was strong here and we all were sweltering. Arrows and bolts riddled us from ahead. A scream. Another scream. The sound of steel on steel, clattering. It was dark, I couldn't see save for the men in front of me. Screaming. Smoke filled the corridor and louder screams. I heard Zyloc's voice above the clamor but it was drowned out. We inched, slowly. I stepped over many bodies. Then a window. A man at arms had held his shield up to the hole to prevent missiles from hitting us. It was bright out with the sun setting, we would be sitting ducks.
      We entered a wider room, and quickly spread out. I had my knife. I passed a wounded Avrasi man clutching an axe and beginning to stand up. I hit him quick in the throat. Always go for the throat. We were all covered in scarlet. I tired quickly. My leg hurt. More screaming. Bodies. The whole building was full of bodies. Half of them were rotting. The defenders were able to build a wall against the far end of the corridor with both our dead and their own. It was disgusting. The siege had poisoned this group. My knife became slick. My knuckles cold. I did not see much of the frontline combat, just shadows and shapes. Then a clatter, cheers and screams of victory. I saw a light at the end of this charnel tunnel. The Imperial deserters and Zyloc, now entirely red and with a black eye, managed to break out onto another rooftop. They were getting nailed by every direction but that wasn't enough to stop them. The warriors formed a shield wall and inched across the roofs. The Black Birds flew after them. My unit and the gunners fired at every rooftop sniper around. I had loosed arrows at seventeen different defenders before the Avrasi broke cohesion and began to run just as Zyloc's lads got to a broken building with enough cover to protect us. I heaved, Grim and Om helped me sit. Doc was too busy with some others hunting down our wounded back in the hall. Kurt was screaming at Zyloc directly in his bloodied face. Zyloc was not defending himself. He was beaming.
    • It was Night, in the otherwise empty dry plain a single tent stood next to a rock formation with a single small tree growing upon it. A thick plume of smoke came out of the tents chimney.
      Inside Coch and Uglúk could hardly see The Cross-legged sitting small Shaman behind the smoldering fire. The air was thick of incense. With his heavy breathing and his hooded head leaned forward it seemed like he was in deep meditation

Coch: ‘’You know why he summoned us?’’ Said the goblin as he crouched next to his sleeping wolf.

Uglúk: The orc’s only reply was a deep growl

Coch: ‘’I bed he’s seen a major victory for me, ‘’the orc looked at him showing his teeth’’, A victory for us... yes. He sees things in smoke and stone. Why else he calls upon us.
      Maybe warning us for other tribe or warlord.. MaybeDwarven Rangers gather to march on me…
      uhh us ..
      Can the little green bag of bones see death?.. Hope not... ‘’

Uglúk: ‘’Shut up! Wolfworm! Grrrw! That green thingy can turn your moon against ya, it can see and call upon your doom.
      That tiny bag of Bones talks to gods it does.’’

They were silent for a while.

Kurand: ‘’NO! no, no Victory ... I see. ‘’The hooded figure was shaking violently’’
      No Victory Will lead us to great spoils of war, Great war band… Great war host.
      “He was rambling on while sweat, and snot where clearly hanging of his crooked nose.
      Make the Marshal believe in success…
      Raid the pale queen but never too much.
      Everlasting war, everlasting spoils.
      And after time they tire.
      After time all lose faith.
      After time their river of coin runs dry.
      And all this time we raid the sun believer’s enemy’s we do as asked but only when we sure we win.
      And after time and time of war we grow strong while they grow weak and fatigued. When…
      Then… ‘’The shaman took a few breaths and clearly calmed down.’’
      Then we raid, we raid not a town nor siege the capitol of Avras… we raze Vetia!!!
      Kurand looked around the tent looking for something that wasn’t there’’
      But there are others with plans… sneaky plans…’’

Kurand looked up and stared at the goblin then the orc.
      ‘’Good. You’re here… You both have lots to do.
      Uglúk you take Wontreê, and gather all the surrounding tribes and…’’

Uglúk: ‘’You tell me what you see not what to do!’’

Kurand: ‘’you challenge me? I do not send Wontreê off with one who challenges me!’’
      Uglúk:’’I will crush you and eat you and… ‘’Just as he started to grow two feet by tensing his muscles he relaxed’’ and… grwwr, Me not stupid enough to challenge the gods and he whom too they speak.’’

There was a tense silence.

‘’And you Coch. you take your Raiders and ambush any and every messenger convoy from and to Avras and bring me every written word they carry.
      And a Specially send some spiders down below and find out what the rat things know.
      I don’t see what but they know a lot.’’

Both orc an goblin nod.

‘’We meet here again in 5 moons.’’

Coch: ‘’And what will you do while we do da work?’’

Kurand: ‘’Me…? I need to find someone that can talk to a guy named von Kleppersbusch on my behalf…’’

Display Spoiler
      Kurand started his useless life as a Grotling, but on day he squeaked as a Big orc chief with full plate armor stood on him witch made the orc look down just at the moment the orc’s opponent swung his great axe at his neck. The orc survived and the opponent did not.
      After that the chief carried Kurand with him as a lucky charm until the day he did get his had blown off by a Goblin witch doctor.
      This particular Goblin witch Doctor happened to be a Pyromaniac that burned down any orc hut of any orc that even looked upon him. But used Kurand as a familiar to casts its spells true So he wouldn’t get caught. This worked for about three weeks, after which the Goblin was caught and stomped to a soup.
      After years of abuse by multiple greenskins Kurand got sick with spasms.
      But soon the wiser of the Chiefs realized that during these episodesKurand was predicting stuff if asked any question. It was never any thing that they wanted to hear but what Kurand predicted came to be reality. Kurand slowly learned to control his mind and found out that he was actually pretty smart.
      Long years have passed and now Kurand has the title of stone seer and all sort of beings come to him asking questions they do not want hear the answer too.

Kurand Laktjarm the stone seer 360 PTS Height: Standard
      Type: Infantry
      Base: 40x40

Global Adv Mar Dis Model rules
      4’’ 8’’ 8 Scout, Vanguard, Skirmisher, Light Troops,Unstable, Fearless, Wizard Master: Divination
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Defensive HP Def Res Arm
      7 2 2 3 Hard Target (1), Light Armour, Palanquin
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Offensive Att Off Str AP Agi
      Kurand 1 2 2 1 3
      Grotlings 4 2 2 0 2
      Palanquin

May take up to 200 points of magic items.
      Grotlings Count as Core in an Army where Kurand is the General

Display Spoiler
      (background still to come.)

Uglúk 575 PTS
      & (all 575 points count as character and 365 points Count towards Big and Nasty)
      Wontreê Height: Gigantic
      Type: Infantry
      Base: 100x100

Global Adv Mar Dis Model rules
      Uglúk 4’’ 8’’ 8 Battle standard, Hold your ground!,
      Wontreê 6’’ 12’’ 8 Fearless, Smash ‘Em Flat, Supernal, A Mount?!,
      Defensive HP Def Res Arm Spec
      Uglúk 3 4 5 4 5+ Shield, Light Armor
      Wontreê 6 2 8 3
      Uglúk 3 5 4 1 3 Frenzy, Battle Focus, Lance,
      Wontreê 3 2 6 3 2 Crush Attack, Impact Hits (D3)

Smash ‘Em Flat: Universal Rule.
      Melee Attacks from units within 6"of a friendly Great Green Idol must re roll natural to-wound rolls of (including Uglúk. ) ‘1’. Break Tests taken by units within 6” of one or more friendly Engaged Great Green Idols are subject to Minimized Roll.

Hold your ground! : Units within 12’’ (18’’ if towering presence.) May re-roll failed LD tests of any kind

A Mount?!, Yes… Uglúk uses a Great green Idol named Wontreê as an Mount.

May take up to 100 points of magic items.
      Must be the Army Battle standard Bearer.

Display Spoiler
      (background still to come.)

Coch and Liomyia 160 PTS Height: Standard
      (shady git wolf rider captain) Type: Infantry
      Base: 25x50

Global Adv Mar Dis Model rules:
      Coch 4’’ 8’’ 7 Ambush, Scout, Feigned Flight,Liomyia9’’18-Light Troops, Ambush Leader,
      Defensive HP Def Res Arm
      Coch 3 5 4 2 Light Armour,
      Liomyia - - - 1 Harnessed,
      Coch 4 5 3 2 5 Common Goblin, Paired Weapons, Lethal Strike
      Liomyia 2 3 4 0 3 Bow (3+) Poison Attacks,

Ambush Leader: Universal Rule.
      Coch gains +3 Agility and Lightning Reflexes in the First Round of Combat.
      in Addition, Coch and any goblin Raider unit its joins Gains the Ambush and Scout special rule.

May take up to 200 points of magic items.

The post was edited 3 times, last by larsswie ().

• Guys, you are just amazing. Love to see you investing so much passion into this project. :love:

Sadly I had to gather all my time and power to manage my divorce...hope most things should be running in more controlled ways now! It'll take me a few days to go through all your amazing stuff, but then I should be able to take over the command again here...as long as you want me to, after @Adaephon_Delat did such an stunning job in my representation. ^^

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

• Lich King wrote:

Guys, you are just amazing. Love to see you investing so much passion into this project. :love:

Sadly I had to gather all my time and power to manage my divorce...hope most things should be running in more controlled ways now! It'll take me a few days to go through all your amazing stuff, but then I should be able to take over the command again here...as long as you want me to, after @Adaephon_Delat did such an stunning job in my representation. ^^
      Thank you for your support. I wish you courage and strength for your divorce. :girlcheer:
      I wait for your feedback with pleasure. See you soon
      Cheers

Hugo

:thumbsup:
    • It took quit a while to finish it, but here is the backround for my army to join the fight for Avras (also introducing 2 characters: Evander and Quirinus).

I hope it is not too divergent of all the things already written about Avras and this campaign (I've done some reading, but probably missed a lot :p).

I hope you like it!

Display Spoiler

Avras divided
      Since it’s founding Avras has been a beacon of light in a world largely without order. Where other sites of society have risen and fallen to history, Avras has been a constant; always playing some part in the world’s history. In its own history the great city has been ruled by different forms of government and administration, politics being an ever-present factor to its grandness. Despite the different councils and directorates, Avras has known it’s fair share of individual leaders too, possibly having changed sovereign more often than any other city in recorded history.

Sadly one aspect of the ruling caste that has not changed in all these years is that whomever has been in a seat of power, hardly ever really represented the people of Avras – most often keeping a hidden agenda to further expand one’s power until the next ruler comes along. The most recent ruler is no exception. General Fontaine who delivered the people an independent Avras, while keeping appearances high, seems to have no more eye for the common folk than any previous ruler. The newfound “independence” caused trade with some of the bordering lands, tied to the previous occupiers of the city, to diminish or halt altogether. Most of the important foodstuffs for the main populace of Avras, like grain, flour, fruit and meat, were originally traded with these areas. This decrease in trade caused the populace to have less food than needed. Other hardships plagued the populace soon thereafter. Since his “liberation” of Avras famines have struck many a time and poverty in the lowest of districts has been greater than ever.

Although the outside world still sees a vibrant trade-metropolis, this is only true in most of the upper-class districts. The less wealthy can see a new and far less grand Avras.
      More beggars and lepers fill the streets than ever before. Being dependent of others that are also in hardship, starvation and thus their lifeless bodies have become a common sight in the streets and alleys.

Having a firm militaristic grip of Avras, the self-proclaimed king Fontaine ordered for these ill-fortuned men and women to clear the main streets of the harbours and trade-districts to further conceive a facade of wellbeing to outsiders visiting the great city. Being kept from their main source of food or money, even more paupers died a hungry and bitter death. Where people disregarded the instructions of their “saviour”, they were put in their place by a firm hand, the lucky ones being left bruised and beaten.
      At first, most of this was unnoticed by the working class being able to feed themselves. Having enough hardships as it is, they probably had no time and attention to spare. Working harder than before to continue having a roof above one’s head and enough food to fill the stomach. They noticed the increase in beggars of course, but not the way the town’s guard treated them. Occasionally the guards were seen ruffing up someone, but most people paid no attention, assuming a leper to have been getting it’s due.
      Avrasians not struck so hard by the changing of regime actually felt cheerful. They thought of Avras standing proud, freedom and independence being no small feat to achieve. This however mostly regards nobles and well-established traders holding a firm grip on trade-routes that have always went through Avras. Where food may have been scarce, having a monopoly on all kinds of luxurious goods made sure these wealthy people profited in the new situation.

As the injustices against the most unfortunate of the population continued, they did not remain unnoticed by all. From the darkness of the back-alleys, devotees of an outside power saw all kinds of oppression taking place. They knew now was the time to act.
      After a while unknown men and women started surfacing on the streets. Strangers at first, slowly but surely gaining trust as they preached about the hardships and injustices that many experienced every day. First they talked about the unfairness of the working class having to struggle for survival while the upper-class fed themselves gluttonously with excessive dinners and using their wealth to partake in all kinds of luxurious activities. This of course enflamed the working class. Especially realising that this wealth was only possible through the hard labour of men working in the harbour. Further elaborating on this point, the preachers emphasized that all men are equal; regardless of status or origin, everyone deserves the same as any other. At the time these words sounded just and righteous, only time telling what those who uttered the words actually meant.
      Eventually these “disciples of truth” as they called themselves informed the people of all the misdeeds the current administration had done against the beggars. Usually the general populace thought very little of those outcasts. The current famines had brought everyone closer to the fates of these poor people however, making it easy to imagine oneself in the same situation. Because of this the general opinion shifted against the current oppressors.

At the same time, even without the influence of the preachers, many people within Avras developed a feeling of separation between those enabled by the new-found freedom of their mother-town and those struggling to survive in the harsher-than-before Avras. Even without being fed stories about the exorbitant wealth of certain individuals, it would have been hard not to notice the growing differences between the people of Avras. Nobles walking the main streets wearing extravagant headdresses in all sorts of vibrant colours. While they had lackeys lifting their mantles from the ground to prevent the soil of the streets from staining their garments, commoners were barely able to dress themselves. Realising the clothes of these nobles were probably more costly than a year worth of meals, this put a bitter taste in the mouths of everyday Avrasians, only able to provide themselves with simple clean rags. By mingling with “the normal people”, these noblemen unwittingly only further fuelled a sense of separation and injustice.

Little by little more people followed the disciples. Them feeding a burning rage they lit themselves in the lower districts of Avras.
      Not all were so easily persuaded to enact open revolt. For now, there simply weren’t enough followers to be able to act. The disciples then cautiously introduced the people to the idea of outsiders helping liberate Avras once more to create a truly just Avras were everyone would be equal.

Had they known beforehand that these disciples were part of a wandering band of outcasts and pariahs commonly known as “the Flock of Madness”, most people probably wouldn’t so readily have accepted the premise that outside help could relieve them of the distress they were in. Having listened to the preaching and been swayed by the words they heard, the victims of the lower districts accepted the idea without question however; not fully realising what had been set in motion. Influenced by apostles of the flock, no distress was felt when it became apparent that the band fabled to be responsible for the fall of civilizations, would come to Avras. Hope had even strengthened in some. The stories of old that demonised the army, may yet have been tales of heroism and justice twisted to empower settlements in danger of the flock’s wrath. Or so the disciples made the people believe.

A true resistance was eventually forming, waiting for when the liberating armies outside of Avras would arrive.

The time to topple Avras had come…….

The gathering of the Flock

In the hinterlands of Avras, in the forests, an army was rising. Tents being erected to house an ever-growing force of warriors. Evander travelled to discuss the situation in Avras with the leader of the band amassing near the largely unknowing town. For this occasion he brought a new pupil named Bert, introducing him to the band. A fine lad he was, showing a good grasp of the subtleties regarding the philosophy Evander preached in Avras. Not everyone was suited to join the flock and meet the army, but this young man he had found in the gutters of Avras seemed like a good candidate to be introduced to the band of liberators. Bert had an open mind, surprisingly alien to prejudice and able to analyse things objectively. Evander hoped he would be able to learn, adapt and eventually accept what he would come to see...

The Flock of madness usually didn’t have a clear leader; freedom and equality being a large part of what banded all the individuals together with common purpose. In this case a single person did establish himself in the foreground however. Venturing into Avras being nearly impossible without him, his most advantageous attribute was knowing how to get to the people of Avras. Although the disciples of truth spread them, it were his words the working-class of Avras heard. It was him who originally sent the disciples into Avras.
      Having all this knowledge and abilities, Quirinus had been planning for years to liberate Avras. His former experience in Avrasian politics enabled him to conceive a plan that would lead the city to a new era, making it a free haven for all. The inhabitants of Avras always being key in his plans, the recent situation in Avras was exactly what he needed. Thus, he put his plan in motion. Having heard of the endeavour to free Avras, many a warrior now joins him in his “noble” cause, rallying under his banner.

The coming of the army being a well-kept secret to the general population of Avras, Evander and his pupil went through meticulous efforts to hide their steps leaving the city. Protecting the army from being detected was of paramount importance. In the old city they took back alleys and ancient hidden passageways, finally leading to tunnels Evander knew would get them out unnoticed. He knew these passages well, having navigated them before to enter Avras. Had they been followed, it was almost certain that their pursuers would have gotten lost, surely starving while wandering the labyrinthine network of tunnels.
      The knowledge of these tunnels came from someone other than Evander himself. It was Quirinus who originally introduced him to the passages leading to Avras. Once having fled Avras in different times, the current commander of the army amassing was no foreigner invading unknown lands, he knew well how to get in and out.

Taking a couple of days to arrive at the camp, the journey was a quiet one. Evander being man of little words made no effort at polite and meaningless conversation. Bert had learnt this quite fast, getting little reactions to his inquiries. This being his first time outside of the city Bert was full of questions, scarcely getting answers. “I’m surprised you don’t like conversation” Bert said. “You’ve talked so much in Avras, preaching and lecturing to the people. I expected you to talk a bit more during our journey.”
      Looking Bert in the eyes Evander did not feel like talking. He was trying to use all of his attention to plan for the future ahead. Still he did not take Bert along for no reason. It would be good to tolerate his for the time being.
      “I understand your eagerness for knowledge and that you expected me to be the conversationalist I was in Avras. Preparing to meet the commander, I am a bit distracted however. Please trust that your intrigue in the world is just and that your questions will be answered in time”. Hardly satisfied, but knowing it was no use discussing this, Bert nodded in agreement. The two travellers continued in silence.

Arriving at their destination they were greeted by soldiers. The sentries, clearly recognising him, talked a bit with Evander and called for other guards to walk with the duo. Evander and his pupil were to be escorted to the commander’s tent at the centre of the camp. The meeting they journeyed for, would transpire soon.

Covertness being important, the camp was located in a large forest. Tents clustering throughout. They strode over trackways connecting different glades. Bert was paying close attention at everything he saw being guided through the large camp.
      To his knowledge the army had just started amassing, but Bert noticed it already took quite some time reaching the centre of the encampment. Passing different tents and soldiers he saw a ragtag breed of men. He had seen guards in Avras before, but these men were something else entirely. They were all wearing heavy armour. Showing plates and chainmail of all different sorts and colours, it was apparent that these men were all from different lands and origins. Their common goal overcoming any differences. They seemed ready for anything thrown at them, all fighting for freedom. Impressed by these men, Bert thought that by the time it was fully gathered, the army must be truly great indeed.

While travelling in the camp, the sun had started setting. Walking past more and more warriors Bert was startled noticing some dwarfs and orcs. They were sitting side by side, sharing a meal near a campfire. The mood was tense. They didn’t say much to each other but seemed to tolerate one another's presence. Bert remembered the stories telling of different men and beasts flocking under a same cause. Seeing this sight made him realize that those stories must have referred to the mustering band of warriors he was currently visiting. Thinking of this, his faith in the endeavour to free Avras grew even stronger. He was proud to be walking amongst these righteous and kindred souls.
      Evander noticing the initial scare in Bert, shared some words to comfort him. “It is how I told you before, Bert. All are equal. Our like-mindedness knows no confides of the body. This enables all of us gathered here to co-exist, sharing the warmth of a campfire and even meals". After taking a short pause he continued: “Do you see the contrast between this scene and what is happening in Avras now?”.
      “Yes, I know” said Bert. “I was startled, seeing an ancient enemy told to be bent on destroying others. Even mire so I was perplexed seeing it sitting with another race known to have begrudged them longer than I can possibly fathom. Having seen it possible that they sit besides each other in peace, I am relieved however. It ensures me that our goal is obtainable”.

Continuing his trek through the camp, his beliefs were strengthened even more – continuing to see warriors of different blood and race mingle. Bert thought this endeavour had to be righteous if it had the ability to unite races that have been at war longer than most can remember.

Nearing their destination Evander was avid to meet his commander. It had been a while since he had seen Quirinus. In his thoughts he was scrutinizing everything he had to tell, wanting to make a good impression on the man that gave him the responsibilities of infiltrating Avras. Together they would change Avras, this meeting possibly deciding the faith of its inhabitants.

Bert, having been born and raised in Avras, was chosen to join Evander to be formed into a true disciple. Evander had picked him because he thought Bert could see the true righteousness in the flock's heritage of thoughts. New men to spread the word were always welcome, but there weren't many that were cut out for it. One originating from Avras would benefit the cause.
      The presence of Bert was actually a test to assess if he had the moral and mental fortitude required. Unsuspectingly, Bert would be exposed to things no sane man would imagine, no normal man could cope with and what was the origin of all the dark stories and tales of the flock.

Finally, they entered the central glade of the encampment. They walked past another post of sentries. The guards escorting them signalled that they be let through. At this point their escorts left them, joining their brothers at the edge of what was clearly an important area of the camp.
      Bert, proud of being allowed to enter, was wondering what the commander would be like and what he and Evander would discuss. He felt a new future would start for him, a bright future.

Suddenly, Bert was unsettled by something in his periphery. He though he saw a silhouette not fitting anything he knew. Having redirected his eyes to the place he spotted this shadow, he saw nothing. He felt anxious and uncomfortable. Trying to calm himself, he thought perhaps his mind was playing tricks after glancing over his shoulder too many times. The whole journey he travelled from Avras had filled him with wariness, continuously focussing on moving covertly.
      Still, all worries about this shimmer of his imagination left his mind soon enough when encountering the guards posted at the innermost circle of tents in the final glade.

Not so undefined as what he had seen moments earlier, he clearly saw things there that should not be.
      There stood warriors. Like the others he had encountered they clearly came from different places and cultures, but these men were more chaotic. Their armour was more elaborate than any he had seen before, showing complex patterns and adornments. There was more that separated them from the warriors he saw earlier however. Proportions of their bodies seeming off. Some of them had long arms and legs, where others had strangely formed helmets, suggesting weirdly deformed heads as well.
      Frightened from seeing these strange silhouettes, Bert tried to calm himself once again. Closer inspection scared him even further though. Initially thinking them part of the intricate armours, he saw feathers in places were skin would normally be.
      Shivers ran through his spine. Bert had seen different races in the camp before, but these individuals seemed so perversely unnatural. These were men twisted in unhuman forms. The feathers Bert saw couldn't have been there from birth. Unable to divert his mind from these abnormalities, Bert almost slipped into despair.

At this moment, Evander rested his hand at Bert’s shoulder. The warmth of Evander’s palm felt comforting, relieving his mind of some distress.
      Bert had known Evander for some time and trusted him fully. Without Evander he would probably have died in one of Avras’s gutters by now. Thinking of the way his life had improved since he met Evander and his philosophy of freedom and equality, he regained his wits. “I did not expect to see such strange sights here today Evander”, Bert whispered to Evander. “I feared again, but realised I know nothing of these men or their stories. I trust you for our safety”.
      “It is only natural to fear the unknown”. Evander replied. “I am proud that you overcame your prejudice and see these men for what they are. It is true that any of these souls would be shunned and hanged just for being alive in most civilised places I have been. Here everyone is accepted however”.

While they stood still talking, one of these monstrosities approached them. A long neck and small head this warrior had, wearing an ostentatious cape with embraided motifs and having all sorts of intricate flower designs decorating its armour plates.
      In a high pitched, but powerful voice it spoke to the two travellers from Avras: “State you name and business!”. Evander replied calmly: “You know who I am. Do not play a fool with me! I am Evander, the first disciple. My business is with the commander and not for you to know”. The warrior twitched its bestial eyes, snorting its beaklike nose. It seemed agitated. “And you! Who are you, and what have you come here for?” it said, looking directly at Bert.
      Still trying to keep his nerves under control, for he was continuously exposed to weirder and weirder sights, Bert took a while to answer. “I… I came here on invitation of Evander. I came here to speak, see and hear. And… and to learn”.
      Puzzled the warrior looked from Bert to Evander. The feathers in his neck started to stand upright, making him look even angrier than before. “If you bring him, you care for him!” he scowled. “Make sure he does not become a nuisance.”.
      Ignoring the last remark, Evander did not reply to the long-necked sentry. He nodded to Bert, signalling him to start walking again. Arriving at the largest tent in the middle of the last glade, they were at their destination: the tent of the commander of the flock.

Following Evander, Bert entered. It having grown dark outside, his eyes had to adjust to the light of a fire burning inside the tent. It took a while before Bert could see clearly. In the middle of the tent he saw a large figure sitting on an ornate throne. All kind of draperies and rugs hung around it, adorning the interior of the tent. As further ornamentation Bert saw different banners hanging on poles throughout the tent. He guessed these were not purely decorative, but probably represented allegiances to the commander.
      The fire in the middle of the tent cast shadows through all of the fabrics in the tent, causing the person on the throne to be shrouded in darkness. Bert was calmed and reassured when he saw its silhouette however. It was hard to discern but seemed normal enough. In contrast to what he had seen outside, all proportions fit a normal man.
      Not sure what to do, he continued looking around. Bert saw a table in a corner. Maps were laid out on it. Small wooden pieces were placed on the maps, probably representing some armies he thought. On the other side of the tent he saw a sunbed next to two large a bookcases. Bert imagined the commander an intellectual man, reading these books in his private time, when not leading an army. Had he known what texts were written in some of these books, Bert would not have dreamed so calmly.

After a few moments of silence, Evander finally started talking. “[i]Hail, Quirinus”, Evander said. “I have come to discuss the current situation in Avras. I also brought a citizen of Avras who I think can be of great help convincing the population of our cause”. Evander continued.
      Bert felt humbled and curious, waiting for the reaction of the commander. The silhouette seemed to move a little on his throne. “It has been a long time Evander”, Quirinus said. “You and your guest are most welcome. It is a great feat we wish to accomplish and all aid we receive is welcome. Come forward”.
      Evander and Bert took a step forward. Bert felt the eyes of the commander looking at him, even as he could not see them. “What is your name, Evanders apprentice?” Quirinus asked. “B, Bert, sir”. He answered. “I, I was raised on the streets of Avras”, he said with a bit more confidence. “I’ve listened to what Evander and the other disciples have told in Avras and I believe they are right!”.
      Some of the draperies seemed to move as the silhouette sitting on the throne hunched forward, listening to Bert. Bert starting to feel sure of himself, his attention slipping from the oddities he had seen before. “Avras is a great city, but many people are struggling to survive while others profit of them. It is not fair! I think everyone deserves to profit of the hard work done by the workers. Especially the working men themselves! Thinking about the words of Evander, I have come to understand that we are all the same in different circumstances. We do not choose in what home we are born in or to what family we belong. We can’t even choose if we are born human or not!”. [/i]
      Bert stopped his plea abruptly, remembering the unnatural things he had just seen outside of the tent. After a short silence he continued as insecurely as before. [i]“Eehm, eh. I think we should all be treated as equals. I don’t think Avras can be changed from within. Without your help…, I do not think Avras can be changed”. [/i]

Quirinus noticed the halt in Bert’s talking, followed by his uncertain sounding voice. “[i]Your words are true and just, yet you seemed scared when talking about race. Are you truly as convinced of our message as you say?”
      Bert felt his anxiety rising again. “My apologies. I, I have seen things I did not expect. Seeing orcs and dwarves next to each other raises my hope of prejudice and class leaving Avras. But, I’ve also seen things I do not understand… People in strange shapes… and birdlike men!”. His eyes showed despair, as if hoping to get an answer explaining everything he had seen. Bert waited for the commander to enlighten him, hopefully taking away his angst.
      During the whole conversation Evander kept quiet. He had brought Bert to see if he was worthy and capable of joining the flock. Any interference at this point would only hinder the process of assessing Bert.
      “You must be wary of your journey here. Sit at the fire for a moment”, Quirinus said. “Calm yourself and I will explain what you saw. Fear not, for you are with kindred people. We all want the same thing”. Bert’s eyes retained a show of fear while he sat down. “Yes, I guess I am tired of our travels. It has been my first time leaving the city after all”. He tried to calm himself, focussing on the goal he had set out to do. He had seen enough misery in Avras. Beggars being beaten to death, little children laying on the streets having starved to death, people fighting family for the last piece of bread. There were enough reasons for him to endure this ordeal he thought.[/i]

As Bert sat at the fire, he noticed something in the flames. Eyes seemed to be staring at him from within. He blinked. Bert wasn’t sure if he was imagining this. His tiredness and stress could have made him see things, but this was far to real. There were eyes in the fire! Fixated on them, he tried to crawl backwards, but fear had joined with curiosity for now.
      His mind, at the moment too tired and numbed to continue feeling despair, wondered what it was he saw. The eyes, all in different and vibrant colours were gazing deep inside his soul. Suddenly he felt naked. As if everything there was to know about him was visible for all to see.
      [i]“What you saw earlier was no different from what you just talked about. The basis of equality is that everybody has the same possibilities, regardless of origins. We are all the same in that we have a choice. We are all free”.
      Quirinus said in a tranquil voice, while observing Bert. Still distracted by what he saw in the fire, Bert made no reaction however.
      “The bodies our brothers have show true gifts of freedom. Just think of how freely birds fly! How unencumbered they are with whatever earthly matters are playing out beneath them.” Bert listened, having been calmed by the enchanting properties of the fire it took a while for him to process what he had heard.[/i]

While still being lost in the flames and listening to Quirinus, he noticed heavy footsteps nearing him. From the sound he knew it was not Evander. It must be the commander he thought mesmerized by the fire. Still wondering what the commander meant by what he just said, he was ready to continue the conversation. He looked up to meet the eyes of the commander, losing all the relief the fire gave him of his anxiety. The numbness of his mind faded, losing all tranquillity he so shortly possessed.
      “[i]You see why I command this band of freedom-fighters. I am the freest of all”,
      the commander stated.
      When Bert was looking up, he saw a marble-white armour adorned with golden edges and details similar to the extravagant armours he had seen before. What had earlier seemed as draperies moving as the commander changed his posture were actually something else entirely. Bert wondered in fear how he could have been so blind. Shadowing Quirinus armour were large elegant feathers. What almost seemed like a garment was clearly a birdlike tail on closer inspection. Behind his shoulders were even more and larger feathers. Large wings framed his body. He looked like some twisted angel, wholly unhuman in its avian appearance.
      “You show promise, Bert”. Quirinus continued. “We have seen inside you. You can discern truth from falseness, enabling you to see what people really are. Yet you remain clouded by common beliefs and your past experiences. It is up to you to either enlighten yourself or remain ignorant for the remainder of your life”. Bert, obviously in distress looked at Evander. Seeing him, Bert finally realized that he must have known all along. Why had Evander brought him along Bert asked himself. Evander remained motionless. An observer to a scene changing drastically from moment to moment.
      Startled again, Bert saw the eyes he had stared at before coming out of the fire. Still burning, they floated around him, pupils focussed on him, as if wanting to invade his mind. Had they really seen inside of him? What had happened? Trying to fend them off he moved his hand frantically to keep them away. He had heard of magics and other unnatural things, but this was just too much for him. “What is happening?”, Bert screamed.
      Calmly as ever Quirinus replied. “We are helping you see the truth”. [/i]

Trying to make sense of all he saw, he felt nauseous. His eyes defiled by sights he had never asked for. The army gathering in this forest had truly flocked to madness! Finally, his rational thinking left him and the dominion fear had over him was complete. Accompanied by a loud and desperate shriek he fled. He ran out of the tent as fast as he could, hoping to be able to warn Avras of what he had seen.
      His mind broken, he paid no heed to the guards he had encountered before. Them reciprocating with an equal amount of interest the guards remained stationary. If the commander willed it, he would not come far, the thought. Bert kept running frantically, thinking Avras had to be protected from this abomination gathering in a forest nearby. He had been thoroughly convinced of their cause, now feeling utterly deceived.
      He knew of others also listening to the stories of the preachers. They could not be influenced by these same lies, or Avras would surely be lost!

Still running, he noticed a shadow eclipsing the moon. It looked like the shadow he had noticed before. He saw it clearly now however. A silhouette of a man with birdlike wings and tail soared in the sky.
      Falling down, he noticed a sharp pain penetrating his chest. The ground felt warm, being drenched in his own blood. He saw three sharp points exiting his chest. He was pierced by a trident the commander had thrown just before Bert looked up. He would not warn Avras. The army would remain a secret.

Quirinus returned to his tent. Evander, still waiting there, knew he had made a mistake. Bert may have been righteous and open, but still conformed too much to a common view of the world. He was too pure. Many who followed the band of warriors had experienced some sort of exclusion or rejection before their lives were redirected to their new path. Perhaps Bert missed this element in his life, Evander thought. “Unfortunate”, he said to Quirinus, “But as always, more will flock to our cause”.
      “We will see. It matters not”, Quirinus replied. “Let us now talk of the fall of Avras”.
    • Florn the Subjugator telling his younglings of Ninva: 'Few of the truly ancient beings remain in this world lad. You know the ones, immortal creatures that see the years pass like droplets falling into the ocean. Ninva is one of them. She hails from a time that the Gods roamed the land. Wise, Powerful, Beautiful. She is known to have seduced Shamut himself, to birth the first of the Lamassu. She is the mother to all that we know today as the Lamassu. A celestial being so spectacular that no overlord has ever chained her. Few gain her trust or lotalty, none have ridden her. If you ever witness her majesty be sure to bow boy! Zarkash is sure to lead for centuries with her by his side. Remember that my lads.'