ETC Liveticker

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• ETC Liveticker

Photos, Twitter links, anekdotes, ... here you can post everything regarding ETC.

Advisary Board Member

Workfields: Tournament Analysis, Army Community Support, Playtesting, Community Engagement, Translation/ United Nations DE Poke/Tag me if I forgot you. The Fluxxcard App Blog: Inside TA. The biggest german Tabletop Board.
    • No, it still needs players getting sanctioned for repeated harrasment of the player after they have been informed and showed that the guidelines have been followed.

Let us See if it are only toysoldiers or if it escalates during russia and germany playing.

That said my personal take is if enough dont like it but it is within the rules than one should change the rule for future events.

Advisary Board Member

Workfields: Tournament Analysis, Army Community Support, Playtesting, Community Engagement, Translation/ United Nations DE Poke/Tag me if I forgot you. The Fluxxcard App Blog: Inside TA. The biggest german Tabletop Board.
    • That makes me sad. I'd just feel bad if someone from Australia, USA or somewhere far away that paid $2000+ to attend has to play against that.

Here is what I don't understand:
      The rules pack on page 16 says "The 9th Age encourages the use of models provided by all miniature manufacturers, as well as handmade
      and scratch built models, as long as a serious effort has been made." Since technically they're a kind of handmade or scratch-built model how was it deemed those toys followed the guidelines? If, theoretically, a disgruntled opponent threw the entire tray against the wall how long would it take to put it back together again? 1 hour? I think if we're judging effort based on time taken to complete an army by your imaginary average hobbyist its probably not even close to the average time spent.

The third point I have against it is that the ETC is the flagship tournament for this game and there should be a higher than normal standard than your typical local weekend tournament.

Why not just have a public poll on it and put this to rest once and for all?
    • ninepaces wrote:

That makes me sad. I'd just feel bad if someone from Australia, USA or somewhere far away that paid $2000+ to attend has to play against that.

The rules pack on page 16 says "The 9th Age encourages the use of models provided by all miniature manufacturers, as well as handmade
      and scratch built models, as long as a serious effort has been made." Since technically they're a kind of handmade or scratch-built model how was it deemed those toys followed the guidelines? If, theoretically, a disgruntled opponent threw the entire tray against the wall how long would it take to put it back together again? 1 hour? I think if we're judging effort based on time taken to complete an army by your imaginary average hobbyist its probably not even close to the average time spent.

The third point I have against it is that the ETC is the flagship tournament for this game and there should be a higher than normal standard than your typical local weekend tournament.

I have seen far worse looking armies which use original models of a certain manufacturer.

If enough dont like it the rules should be changed after the Tourney not in between.

As asked for in the ETC pack the organizers have been asked before and exepted the army.
      If not I or someone of the german team would have carried a second army with gw models.

Regarding time spent, if I let someone els assemble and Paint my army I have 0 time spent even if it is one which won several painting competitions.

Advisary Board Member

• ninepaces wrote:

That makes me sad. I'd just feel bad if someone from Australia, USA or somewhere far away that paid $2000+ to attend has to play against that.

Yep I'd be pretty disappointed to travel all the way from New Zealand to experience the joy of ETC to be faced with that.
      You can see my you tube battle reports here
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=e76ivZdXX9s&t=79s

Or follow me on Facebook here
      facebook.com/Casamarnz/#
    • To make it clear (without any opinion on that):

The player of the LEGO army pur most likely more effort into it than most players do for common armies. The bases are scenic either way and since I know him the getting the models together properly was like a 6 month project with plenty of trial and error to get the unit placement perfect at all. For sure painting has not been a relevant thing, but plenty of these 3-color armies are one-day projects and have taken way less thought, work and thinking. So saying there is “no effort” edited by mod
      WTC OPEN 2019 - 26.-28.04.2018 in Herford worldteamchampionships.com - an official T9A event
    • To add on top: the player owns a nicely painted KoE army already and still got this new one to have something unique to bring to ETC and other events.

So it is not at all about being lazy (and cheap neither, since the army was expensive edited by mod. Maybe instead of going rage-mode go and ask for the backgrounds or talk to him in person at the event. He seriously put the effort and money just for fun and their was neither intentions to be cheap/lazy/offensive at all.
      WTC OPEN 2019 - 26.-28.04.2018 in Herford worldteamchampionships.com - an official T9A event
    • However much effort was or wasn't put into it, it plays into the stereotypes of t9a held by other gamers (bad armies made by cut throat gamers who are lazy hobbyists).

It immediately did the rounds on twitter with people making digs at 9th age because of it, which is hardly a difficult outcome to predict.

This made me very sad :(

I have tried to share as many photos of nice armies as possible to try to tip the scales the other way, but it is an uphill battle.
      People want t9a/RT to simultaneously square, triangle, and icosagon the circle, whilst vehemently attacking it if there are any corners.

ID blog
      Dan ventures into the lands of smoke and fire

Basic beginners tactics
      No 'tactics for beginners' thread?
    • This should be a hobby for everyone and for everyone to his liking. Yannic likes the LEGO and many others do.

The difference is that he just enjoys the games and having nice chats with the ones who talk to him because he likes the army, while the ones that call him out as a hobby-destroyer simply do not respect the way he enjoys the hobby at all. It’s pretty disrespectful and imo contradicting the imo right take of the project to allow everybody to enjoy the hobby as he likes it and thus being non-model-agnostic.

But whatever - be upset all and ruin the nice ETC experience for others as you see fit ;) - i‘m here and having a blast :)
    • If that's worth a discussion, I guess we've solved all rules problems within our game.

edited by mod

By the way: what was the result of the game? ;)

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

• To be clear, I personally have no issue with the lego army.

But it does have an impact on how t9a is seen, this is undeniable.

Whether that should affect which events the owner of any such army takes it to is mostly on their own conscience.

I was just commenting that it makes me sad to see people spread such photos as a way of attacking t9a.
      People want t9a/RT to simultaneously square, triangle, and icosagon the circle, whilst vehemently attacking it if there are any corners.

ID blog

Basic beginners tactics
    • Frederick wrote:

To make it clear (without any opinion on that):

The player of the LEGO army pur most likely more effort into it than most players do for common armies. The bases are scenic either way and since I know him the getting the models together properly was like a 6 month project with plenty of trial and error to get the unit placement perfect at all. For sure painting has not been a relevant thing, but plenty of these 3-color armies are one-day projects and have taken way less thought, work and thinking. So saying there is “no effort” edited by mod ”
      I would add he probably spent more money than a second hand KoE army.

Lego is an hobby religion that really take a lot of effort, so I should agree with @Frederick, I don't necessarily see any problem within ETC rules.

Lich King wrote:

edited by mod
      This is by far the kind of argument we don't need on the forum, especially during ETC. It's a competitive event that should be competitive, but should not get political.

Display Spoiler

A jackal, O Karna, residing in the forest in the midst of hares regardeth himself a lion till he actually sees a lion.

Armies of Fluff: because narration is important - a blog about fluffing your army.
      Armies of Fluff: repository of my unofficial short stories and excerpts

:WDG_bw: :VC: :O&G: :EoS: :BH: :DE: :KoE:
    • DanT wrote:

To be clear, I personally have no issue with the lego army.

But it does have an impact on how t9a is seen, this is undeniable.

Whether that should affect which events the owner of any such army takes it to is mostly on their own conscience.

I was just commenting that it makes me sad to see people spread such photos as a way of attacking t9a.
      There will always be haters, the project just needs to accept, that T9A won't be liked by everyone.

We surely have to consider feedback regarding rules, the T9A team structure, logistical things like do we publish updates too often or too less, how does our website look like. All serious feedback, we can and should discuss.

But then there are people making fun about players who just want to make use of their RIGHT to take whatever models he wants to - and hell yes, that's absolutely what this project is about, it's our philosophy! We as a community and we as staff should position ourselves behind such players and defend our own philosophy instead distracting the attention from this discussion by showing pictures of other beautiful armies

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lich King ().

• Lich King wrote:

There will always be haters, the projects just needs to accept, that T9A won't be liked by Eberyone.
      I agree.
      But I still wouldn't actively choose to do things that will generate negative press, which might ultimately result in some people not even trying it. Perception matters.

We surely have to consider feedback regarding rules, the T9A team structure, logistical things like do we publish updates too often or too less, how does our website look like. All serious feedback, we can and should discuss.

But then there are people making fun about players who just want to make use of their RIGHT to take whatever models he wants to - and hell yes, that's absolutely what this project is about, it's our philosophy! We as a community and we as staff should position ourselves behind such players and defend our own philosophy instead distracting the attention from this discussion by showing pictures of other beautiful armies
      I disagree that "model agnostic" means "anything goes".
      T9a doesn't legislate for models at all, so this is not a project issue.
      It is a "what do we want to stand for as a community" issue.
      And it will always be subjective what is considered acceptable, just like it was in legacy times.

As I say, I personally don't dislike the lego army.
      And it is within ETC (not t9a rules; there are no t9a rules on this) rules.
      And he has been allowed to use it.
      So no problem.

But things like this do generate bad press for t9a. I do care about that. Not enough to want to ban armies like this, but enough that when such armies appear I will point out that it causes bad press.
      I don't see how doing so is any more or less unreasonable than using a lego army in an event that legally allows it :)

ID blog

Basic beginners tactics