Agoners Quickstarter (Text) Battle Reports

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• Agoners Quickstarter (Text) Battle Reports

I wasn't sure to put this in General, QS, or if this is the right place for it? Hopefully a mod can move it if this is wrong...

Ok thanks to all the guys who answered my QS rules quesions! I finally got to play a game last weekend and finally finished writing up about it all:

Orcs & Goblins vs Empire of Sonnstahl:

agoners.wordpress.com/2019/08/…kstarter-battle-report-1/

Feel free to comment on my site or here if it interests you at all! :D

I left the thread title a bit open because as you might have guessed, there should be more to come ;)

Product Search Team

My gaming website: Agoners | | My gaming twitter: Agoners Gaming | | Contributor at: Collecting Green
      Sheffield, UK | | My T9A Quickstarter Written Battle Reports Thread | | My Miniature Painting Gallery | | My T9A Painting Blog

The post was edited 1 time, last by Remy77077 ().

• Thank you! :D

Yeah I need to get another bat rep up soon, maybe this weekend if I find the time!

Product Search Team

My gaming website: Agoners | | My gaming twitter: Agoners Gaming | | Contributor at: Collecting Green
      Sheffield, UK | | My T9A Quickstarter Written Battle Reports Thread | | My Miniature Painting Gallery | | My T9A Painting Blog
    • Product Search Team

The post was edited 1 time, last by Remy77077 ().

• piteglio wrote:

subscribed to the thread - keep them coming!!! will read and enjoy in the evening
      Thank you!

I suspect there will very likely be one or two more QS games for me :D

I generally enjoy writing batreps for miniatures wargames, so I will probably try to do them even when I move to larger battles too (& when I try other systems like KoW too tbh! hehehe)

Product Search Team

• thanks for the lovely report!
      a few disconnected reactions:

- UD archers not suffering Hit modifiers comes from FB (FantasyBattles, the main game). it is meant to represent the fact that undead archers arent really aiming. they just move limbs as dictated by a superior mind.

- UD not losing steadfast in forests isnt really a buff, since they are never steadfast, so they simply ignore a buff for the rest of the game. we did things this way because we didnt want to make the undead rule too contidional (and i think id stick to this choice).

- binary objective scoring is indeed a harsh hatchet cut into the victory pie, i agree with you. this is why in the QS advanced you have three different winning conditions (and point calculation). but in the Basic rules we felt we couldnt spend more than a few lines for the victory conditions. we want players to focus on learning other things (e.g. multicombats).

- you mention several shenanigans you played out (e.g. with the chaffing Witchdoctor), which didnt shock Andy as much as they shocked you. i think that experienced players like him realise that for every annoying move (blocking his Shabtis with your caster) there's a price to pay (losing your caster and maybe panicking your Gobs). so even a dickdoctor ends up paying some sort of price. as long as there is a tradeoff, i think the game is fine.

- frustrating rolls for charge or discipline can indeed make or break a game. in FB you have all sorts of mitigators (e.g. battle standard bearer, special rules, magic and so on). in QS the main point is not to capitalise on the reliability of your units, but on learning how to react to unexpected scenarios (like a bloody charge failed twice!). i understand this can be frustrating, because...

- ...i sense you have a strong penchant for competitive gaming. well, it's not like i'm a psychic, it's written in your name after all! ; ) so the QS with its "learning bias" might not be the best game for you to play in the long run. however, i do think that the QS is the best thing you can play now. with all these limitations, you are forced to focus on some unit "roles" that you might end up dismissing too quickly if you had the possibility of choosing your own army entries. for example:

- the way the OG premade list is built. one nasty combat unit (Eadbashers), one large but weak unit (Goblins), one weak but fast unit (Raiders). i understand very well that it can be annoying to have to play OG the way someone else chose it for you. but you might think of it in a different way: the rulewriters are inviting you to familiarise yourself with units of different types. when we wrote the OG list, the main message i had in mind is: learn how to dish out damage with your big unit, use your fast unit to threaten the enemy flank/rear/caster, use your fast unit to score the objective in the very last turn, use your large but weak unit to bring combat resolution to your risky combats.

that is, the OG list poses you some tactical challenges (i.e. how to properly play them units on the battlefield). you might miss the point that the designers made, if you react by thinking about strategic solutions (i.e. changing the unit entries). my suggestion would be for you to take the premade list for what it is, and enjoy the challenge of making it work. other armies will allow you to focus on different challenges: extremely low model count (WD), few units (KE), relatively unskilled fighters (VS), easily wounded units (DE) and so on. in the same vein, you can enjoy the challenge of not diluting your skills: high mobility (MK), versatility (BH), tankiness (DH), numbers (VC) and so on.

so i guess i'll be very very happy to see the reports for your next one or more games for you. also, feel free to experiment with other factions, if you like the idea of swapping miniatures with your opponents. several friends who played the QS with us in the Playtesting League told me that they especially enjoyed playing with an army that wasnt their traditional army. it made for fresh games, where you learn to think in new ways, and which (by contrast) let you understand better how your usual army works.

i hope this is of some use - i've been off the QS team for so long that i feel i dont have anything relevant or useful to say anymore : (

• piteglio wrote:

- UD archers not suffering Hit modifiers comes from FB (FantasyBattles, the main game). it is meant to represent the fact that undead archers arent really aiming. they just move limbs as dictated by a superior mind.
      Thanks for the lengthy response! I appreciate it and you taking the time :D

I'm just going to reply to this one bit now (more when I've had time to think about it and write etc).

I kinda expected that this was some kind of fluff idea behind it. But it still doesn't make sense to me - part of the idea of cover in the game is that it's just physically in the way some of the time ie: some of your models are actually behind a tree or a wall etc. Why does the "superior mind" directing them suddenly get more accurate when managing to find gaps in the forests or perfect angles over a wall for example?
      Also I always thought that part of the long range modifier was due to wind / shots dissipating in power with distance etc.

Basically, no modifier for movement I could understand for Undead, but circumventing everything else just doesn't make sense to me! :S

Product Search Team

• Remy77077 wrote:

piteglio wrote:

...Basically, no modifier for movement I could understand for Undead, but circumventing everything else just doesn't make sense to me! :S

i think i agree with you - after all, when special rules ignore terrain, the result is that strategy becomes more important than tactics (which should never be the case, in my opinion).

sadly i think this will not change. some players are very nostalgic and they like to hear echoes of their past gaming experience. but it's nice to see that one of the things you dislike the most about your last game of QS isnt really specific to the QS. as a matter of fact, it isnt even really specific to T9A... ; )

• piteglio wrote:

i think i agree with you - after all, when special rules ignore terrain, the result is that strategy becomes more important than tactics (which should never be the case, in my opinion).

sadly i think this will not change. some players are very nostalgic and they like to hear echoes of their past gaming experience. but it's nice to see that one of the things you dislike the most about your last game of QS isnt really specific to the QS. as a matter of fact, it isnt even really specific to T9A... ; )
      Yup, I thought that was the case. Thank you for confirming and I'm very glad you agree and see my point with this. As I played even earlier editions of WFB long before this undead shooting rule came in, I don't have any nostalgia for it specifically at all... in fact in terms of rules, I don't have any fond nostalgia for WFB in general - I think there are much better systems and ideas out there! But I do enjoy Warhammer style armies & models too, so it's absolutely great that T9A supports their use still! But I don't personally care for making everything work exactly, or even similarly to how WFB used to at all, I would definitely prefer to move beyond that (which I know T9A does, just not to my preference always it seems - but I can hear what DanT would say already.. and yup I do understand no system can be perfect for everyone!).

Same thing with my "dislikes" about OnG QS really & powerful spells and things. I totally understand that it's just my personal taste. I don't personally like the "almost all the eggs in one basket" nature of the list, as that's not how I like to play, but it is a valid way to play of course, and a valid thing to be in the QS lists at a meta level. I guess it's just frustrating for me that my favourite army happens to be the 'demonstration' of something I don't personally enjoy to do usually. But yeah, I know there are many more tactics and options to learn still playing in that different style. I was thinking about what I could have done better in that last 3rd battle. Trying a long charge with my one uber-unit is perhaps too risky, especially considering how little a failed charge is likely to move a unit in T9A (something I'd not fully considered the odds about before).
      Instead I probably should have just marched both the unit and the Chieftain forward, daring the UD to charge them, and the Chieftain could have actually marched out of the unit and threatened to engage the Skeleton Archers or even the Necropolis Guard by himself! As I'm not familiar with this kind of "hero-hammer" (when I played WFB, it was significant house-rule nerfs to heros & monsters!), I tend to forget that an individual character can actually take on whole units at times, even big ones like this. And I also tend to forget just how strong this Eadbasher unit is within the context of the QS lists, even taking a charge. Doing this, I could have then tried to chaff the shabtis with my Wolf Riders - who might have been better placed directly opposite them rather than the Goblin infantry to make that easier too, and whilst it would could with some risks of the Chief getting magic attacked, it would probably have been a more stable plan to employ than a risky long-charge with hindsight.

Like you, I really wish the QS Advanced had more resources and was finished so I could check that out next re: different victory conditions and lists etc. As for the QS pre-made lists though, I can see you are looking from a "meta" point of view about all of the different QS lists overall - whereas I'm looking at how an individual won't see that 'big picture' really, but will only likely see how that individual list and even individual game plays out potentially when it comes to 'attracting' a new player or not. Just something to bear in mind perhaps if the QS (or your own games) are developed further. This is a big part of why, if I was designing something like this, I'd tend personally to prefer less 'extreme' things in the QS to give every list the widest possible array of tactical options vs each other - even though that will necessarily make each list more similar to each other - I think that's a better idea personally, to make sure that player who perhaps only plays one game and one possible matchup gets the best experience of T9A they can do... but yeah, sounds like the QS Advanced will solve this anyway, one day when it's there! (hopefully!).

That's a big part of my overall take on miniatures wargaming too - 'RPS list' effects are extra bad in a miniatures wargame to me, as it's not so simple when it comes to collecting and painting real-life miniatures to just tell someone to "try a different unit" or even "try a different army".

One question I'd love to ask you - did we do that multi-combat and pursuit correctly in your eyes? (or if anyone else who knows the QS rules well could answer?)

I still don't really know how to position units after a pursuit in complex situations, as the rules are too vague and don't cover the many possible cases very well in the QS yet imo. As I'm still reading the full T9A rules when I get the free time, I am intrigued to see how / if this is covered there, as I am pretty sure it would have to be defined for a tournament setting.

Oh btw, you use a very particular definition of "tactics" and "strategy". From reading your posts I believe I understand your meaning completely, but as you're likely aware, not everyone defines those terms so precisely. It's a failing of the English language really that both of these words are actually pretty vague and overlapping definitions and different people can understand them very differently!

Product Search Team

• One thing I'm wondering, is if anyone here who knows the QS rules well can confirm if we did the multi-combat flee & pursue correctly in both Game 2 and Game 3 of my QS experience. As I still really don't know!

Remy77077 wrote:

One question I'd love to ask you - did we do that multi-combat and pursuit correctly in your eyes? (or if anyone else who knows the QS rules well could answer?)

I still don't really know how to position units after a pursuit in complex situations, as the rules are too vague and don't cover the many possible cases very well in the QS yet imo. As I'm still reading the full T9A rules when I get the free time, I am intrigued to see how / if this is covered there, as I am pretty sure it would have to be defined for a tournament setting.

Product Search Team