Sidequest III - Avras trembles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• WastelandWarrior wrote:

That is a super cool base. Your earlier comment about skulking goblins under there makes sense now, and would be awesome!
      Thanks mate! Yeah would have been nice cartoon'ish addition to the scene, but I am afraid that I dont have time for those in this challenge. I might be adding them later if I manage to find nice looking models for those.
    • Mercenary Armies wrote:

After a lot here we are with another adventure of Campari and his sidekick Plank. you don't know them? I don't blame you. Well, they try to kill Nereide the Queen, was from one year ago and it not ended well for our heroes. If you want you can check the Background section or just read this little story.

CAMPARI'S RETURN: FIGHT FOR AVRAS

Display Spoiler
      The door of the dungeon opened and let in the faint light of a torch. It had been months since Campari saw a light and it was enough to hurt his old eyes.

The smell of burnt bitumen mixed with the stench of rat feces and black mold, Campari put a hand on his face, trying to get used to the light. he looked at himself for the first time since he had been imprisoned, his clothes were worn, his skin dirty and cracked.

-Has my time finally come? Are you here to kill me? I can smell the stink of the death. Said hopelessly Campari.

A voice belonging to a friend of the past answered the helpless mercenary

-You deserve it, you tried to kill the queen ... and you failed.

Campari winced, recognized that voice. He strained his eyes to get used to the light. In front of him was an Avras captain in the Gate Guard, white and purple uniform, yet his wheat-colored tuft and that annoying voice were unmistakable to him. It was his last intern Plank!

Campari got up clinging to his disciple, his aching legs, but now that Plank was here he was sure he would find the strength to escape.

-Plank, son of a pistol! the last time I saw you you were falling from the tallest tower in Avras. I didn't imagine you survived. You are going to tell me everything later, now it’s time to run….

Plank drew back and his old master collapsed to the ground.

-You shattered my old master. Said Plank helping Campari get back into his seat. I'm not here to let you escape. this uniform is not stolen, I am now a captain of Avrasian army and I have a mission to accomplish…

Campari interrupted him -What stupid mission should you do? how did you survive the fall? you didn't wear a parachu ... I mean, you weren't wearing Campari's Device of Wonders so how did you do it?

- I didn't do it, I didn't survive. Nerei ... my queen found me in agony while she was hunting you and gave me a second chance. Plank tilted his head to show two small holes in his neck.

Campari's face became sad

-For Warin’s sake kid…are you a..

-Not yet, not entirely. Don't look at me like that master, I've survived just like you teach me, survive at all costs, and I've become more powerful than before. The queen of Avras trained me well to defend her city.

-Defend the city? Against who? Equitaine? And for Warin and my sake, why are you here?! if you are not her for kill me nor for free me, tell me why you are here kid.

­­­___

Plank sat down in front of his old master, told of the months of siege, the great imperial army, the escalation of fighting and revolts in the city. When he had finished to speak, the torch was almost extinguished.

___

Campari looked at Plank bored and spoke

- What am I supposed to do? Save the city? Kill the emperor for your queen?

-No master, let me explain, there's something in the Lost Quarter near the heart of the old city, something dark, something evil. We have no information and the city guard troops no longer gives news for three weeks. King Fontaine hates me, perhaps he believes that I am in love with his queen and has ordered me to form a team and take her there to investigate. He called it Mortem Manipulus, I can choose who I want between prisoners and mercenaries so here I am. Do you want to join my team? do you want to come with me? We leave in two days.

-And what will your lover, your queen say? after all, I tried to kill her.

-I don't think you've gone so close as to make her seriously angry. Replied Plank. - And then don't think there's a chance of escaping, ours is a suicide mission, so you’re not going anywhere.

Campari smiled, with a great effort he stood up on his own and stayed there, looked into Plank's eyes, his gaze was mocking as always, he felt the adrenaline flowing in his body for a new mission, maybe the last, as always! The tiredness was already beginning to leave him.

- Plank, stupid damned rookie, you will never lern, I have no intention of joining your team, but of commanding it! Now let's get out of here and see if you can find me something to eat. We must create the most infamous battle unit ever seen in Avras and in these dungeons there is everything we need! by the way, King Fontaine is very talented for names, Mortem Manipulus, such a badass name! Maybe we should change in Campari's Mortem Manipulus what do you think...or maybe..

Campari continued to talk while Plank helped him to stand up and go through the door, his proud teacher didn't seem to change. In his cold chest, the heart of the boy that once was the pupil of Campari beats slightly, and a strange heat invaded his body for a moment. While he was helping the speaking speaker Campari to support himself and to leave his narrow cell he couldn't not smile ... he only hoped that this time it would be better than the old times.

• Here is my entry. I am not much of a novelist so I am hoping someone can catch this job and bring this dude alive in a form of text.

I managed to do this rather fast, lot faster than I thought. Partly because I had set deadline and partly because I want to field this soon.

Let the Avras Tremble!

Tbone the Lord of Doom riding his mighty Behemoth Bracchus. Dying campfire is telling its story about people fleeing before him.

Tbone and Bracchus side

Tbone and Brachuss front/left

Tbone and Bracchus front

• So, the last day to contribute to this sidequest has come. Be prepared to see what will be revealed in in the Avrasian city center. ;)

Hold your eyes opened for the news section! :)

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lich King ().

• Lich King wrote:

This sidequest will start right now (even though it is overlapping with the sidequest II, which is ending within the next days) and end on friday, the 13th (what a beautiful date :D ) of october.[/spoiler]
      Today??? Thought we have one month left...
    • Hey guys, looks like I messed things up in the rules for this sidequest. So, let me try to explain myself a bit and fix it.

It was meant to be ending today...we really tried to connect it to the Cultists Supplement release and that's also what will be the reason for what is happening in the city center of Avras right now. It'll also be a significant key point for how the storyline is going to evolve further.

But I wrote the deadline was in 'october' and that's how it goes. I'll accept any entries for this sidequest untill we hit the 13th of october deadline. ;)

Furthermore I'll post the introduction for the Cultists at the start of next week. So, stay tuned.

Cheers,
      Tom

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

• Kdownunder wrote:

@Lich King you put me painting my Behemoth DL in less than 2 weeks :thumbsup: since I thought the final day is this 13th.
      Youll win anyway, just more time for the rest of us to get some entries in to make it look more of a contest ;)
      Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
    • I hope to get my hero ready before this side quest closes, but here is a little bit of background to begin fleshing him out before then.

Display Spoiler

My Queen, we are awaiting the arrival of a distinguished Aldani Ranger to join the mercenaries currently investigating the Maelstrom. It is suspected that he has arrived within the city, despite the siege lines of our enemies, but has not yet deigned to present himself to Your Grace.

What is known of this Ranger? To which Lord of the Aldani does he owe allegiance?

Your Grace, he is a Ranger, without kith or kin and without feudal dues owed to any Lord, living or no. It seems that he could not suffer to live within the restrictive nature of Aldani society, and began to sell his sword and skills to whichever Lord of Vetia was willing to pay his... considerable fee in gold. Some say that he has bested many an assassin of the Obsidian Court and that in Silexia, there is a substantial reward for his head.
      He has been sought out at Your Grace's command as his reputation for espionage is without peer.

The Daeb have sided with our enemies, have they not?

Yes Your Grace, they have joined Emperor Mathias's rabble of fools, in anticipation of their replacing the Aldani trade missions within this city.

Perhaps they can be... encouraged to abandon such a quest, were we to provide them with the head of this Ranger?

Your Grace, I fear that were we to entertain such a notion, he would know about it before ourselves and that he would melt back into the shadows from whence he came. The efforts to even make contact with such a... ghost, were met repeatedly with failure. He is considered a legend within the cutpurse hierarchy that moves in the depths of the city and without.

I see... then we must ensure that this, Paragon of Shadow, is maintained as a worthy ally. Perhaps he will be of further use if any of our allies begin to lose faith in Our ability to endure this current hardship.

Yes Your Grace, will there be anything else?

You are dismissed, Master Steward, We will be discussing these matters with His Grace, the King.

From the Hansard Roll of the Court of Her Grace, Queen Nereida on this day, (date illegible due to apparent fire damage)
      Her Majesty has instructed me to return to the Isles, ostensibly to enquire as to my findings during this long sojourn. I am not anticipating a warm reception at court, due to my long absence....
    • Galion wrote:

I hope to get my hero ready before this side quest closes, but here is a little bit of background to begin fleshing him out before then.

Display Spoiler

My Queen, we are awaiting the arrival of a distinguished Aldani Ranger to join the mercenaries currently investigating the Maelstrom. It is suspected that he has arrived within the city, despite the siege lines of our enemies, but has not yet deigned to present himself to Your Grace.

What is known of this Ranger? To which Lord of the Aldani does he owe allegiance?

Your Grace, he is a Ranger, without kith or kin and without feudal dues owed to any Lord, living or no. It seems that he could not suffer to live within the restrictive nature of Aldani society, and began to sell his sword and skills to whichever Lord of Vetia was willing to pay his... considerable fee in gold. Some say that he has bested many an assassin of the Obsidian Court and that in Silexia, there is a substantial reward for his head.
      He has been sought out at Your Grace's command as his reputation for espionage is without peer.

Yes Your Grace, they have joined Emperor Mathias's rabble of fools, in anticipation of their replacing the Aldani trade missions within this city.

Perhaps they can be... encouraged to abandon such a quest, were we to provide them with the head of this Ranger?

Your Grace, I fear that were we to entertain such a notion, he would know about it before ourselves and that he would melt back into the shadows from whence he came. The efforts to even make contact with such a... ghost, were met repeatedly with failure. He is considered a legend within the cutpurse hierarchy that moves in the depths of the city and without.

I see... then we must ensure that this, Paragon of Shadow, is maintained as a worthy ally. Perhaps he will be of further use if any of our allies begin to lose faith in Our ability to endure this current hardship.

You are dismissed, Master Steward, We will be discussing these matters with His Grace, the King.

From the Hansard Roll of the Court of Her Grace, Queen Nereida on this day, (date illegible due to apparent fire damage)

I like your story ! :thumbsup:
    • HKYUGOK wrote:

Galion wrote:

I hope to get my hero ready before this side quest closes, but here is a little bit of background to begin fleshing him out before then.

Display Spoiler

I like your story ! :thumbsup:
      thanks and yours are all excellent!
      Her Majesty has instructed me to return to the Isles, ostensibly to enquire as to my findings during this long sojourn. I am not anticipating a warm reception at court, due to my long absence....