Balance Update 2.1 & 2.2

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

  • The world of the actual witcher books is pretty well fleshed out, an altogether great setting and “grimdork” dome the right way.

    The T9A setting... doesn’t really exist yet from a player perspective. There are dribs and drabs in the full rulebook but only the highest elite of elite background designers and exec board members actually get to know and appreciate the world of T9A, everyone else must go off of biased first-hand accounts in each FAB. Oh, to live in that ivory tower with the Backround team and exec board, but alas, as with the normal players I must be satisfied with what my lords give me ;)

    tongue-in-cheek ribbing at the expense of the project aside, I actually rather like the giant Supplement and may very well throw a giant in against my friends at some point, swift-stride and a lance! Don’t mind if I do!
  • We could continue this giant discussion here:
    Giants in the 9th age
    Maybe more appropriate ?

    McBaine wrote:

    So, if @Bretboy84 wants some Hippogryph Knights and someone says no, because they don't fit the theme, we can just get an entry in a supplement? I mean, it doesn't add Hippogryph Knights directly to KoE and doesn't suddenly break the theme anymore, so it's fine then?
    Well perosnnaly, if this would be integrate into a supplement that influence all other army too.
    And if there is a really cool fluff explanation why something rare become current and that really add some deepness to the T9A world.
    Well why not.

    Website Team

      

    Art Team


    Graphic designer  cas-p.net
  • Casp wrote:

    We could continue this giant discussion here:
    Giants in the 9th age
    Maybe more appropriate ?

    McBaine wrote:

    So, if @Bretboy84 wants some Hippogryph Knights and someone says no, because they don't fit the theme, we can just get an entry in a supplement? I mean, it doesn't add Hippogryph Knights directly to KoE and doesn't suddenly break the theme anymore, so it's fine then?
    Well perosnnaly, if this would be integrate into a supplement that influence all other army too.And if there is a really cool fluff explanation why something rare become current and that really add some deepness to the T9A world.
    Well why not.
    Okay, so, theme and playstyle doesn't matter as long as there are a couple lines of fluff. Gotcha.

    Okay, let's leave the giant discussion in the appropriate thread.
    Stone: "Nerf Paper, it is overpowered. Scissors are well balanced."

    :KoE: :VC: :WDG_bw:
  • Marcos24 wrote:

    Honestly I just never thought I’d see monsters affiliated with KoE so this is just my initial reaction. I know I’ll get over it, but I’ll never be happy with it. No need to respond I’m just venting
    For me personally Giants are not monsters per se.


    guinnessworldrecords.com/news/…-man-in-the-world-511577/

    Just take a look at real life giants! And then add a little bit fantasy to it and you can see why KoE could have a human Giant with around 2,50 meter high which is stomping on dwarfs, vermin or other small stuff which is like 1meter high

    would be like we stomp on dogs (god forbid anyone does that!!!)

                    

    Product-Search

    KoE Community Support

    Lord of the Hobby

    Follow my games here: the-ninth-age.com/community/in…%C3%BCnchen-und-umgebung/
  • Klexe wrote:

    Marcos24 wrote:

    Honestly I just never thought I’d see monsters affiliated with KoE so this is just my initial reaction. I know I’ll get over it, but I’ll never be happy with it. No need to respond I’m just venting
    For me personally Giants are not monsters per se.

    guinnessworldrecords.com/news/…-man-in-the-world-511577/

    Just take a look at real life giants! And then add a little bit fantasy to it and you can see why KoE could have a human Giant with around 2,50 meter high which is stomping on dwarfs, vermin or other small stuff which is like 1meter high

    would be like we stomp on dogs (god forbid anyone does that!!!)

    Real life giants are not fantasy giants. Real life giants would not have the stats that a fantasy giant has, they would have human stats or worse. Also, these people have problems with their bone structure and other medical issues.

    A fantasy giant is not merely 2,50m tall. The rules say their size is not standard, not large, but gigantic. If we go by base size of the tallest human, a Warrior or Marauder of the Dark Gods, has a 25x25mm base (625mm²), a giant with a base of 50x75mm (3750mm²) is six times as large. That is not 2,50m. Measuring my giant model that I have for my WDG and a Warrior, if the Warrior would be 2m tall, the giant would at least 4m or more.
    Stone: "Nerf Paper, it is overpowered. Scissors are well balanced."

    :KoE: :VC: :WDG_bw:
  • Chronocide wrote:

    Marcos24 wrote:

    Think of the world of the witcher, absolutely loved that world
    The Witcher is a great setting in the sense that it's designed around making Geralt into a badass.
    I loved the first book. The world of the witcher is grey, not black and white. Monsters are not monsters based on appearence but nature. Geralt would not want to kill a giant that is sentient and tries to behave well. In the story there might be a deep tragedy that ends to the death of the giant in the hands of a reluctant witcher and we all would agree that it was wrong, but they had no choise. The giant would have a Noble death and Geralt would ride off angry and once again disapointed to humans.

    How I see a giant in KoE, is a peasant unit that includes a giant. The peasants are overconfident like little schoolboy that has a big brother with him and facing his bullies. "Whos laughing now when we brought Big Ted!? (all are makin crude gestures and jokes). Let's kick their buts!". Not a monster mechanically, but closer to reliquary in function. Do you get what I mean?
  • WhammeWhamme wrote:

    Your headcanon was never canon and has actively not been canon for quite some time. T9A Giants are not malicious monsters, they're big cheerful dudes who are more "followers" than "leaders".
    There isn't any cannon so how are we meant to know this? Oh sorry, you're special so you get to know all the cannon and not tell us about it.

    Please can you go away and leave us alone?
    Never argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Sir_Sully ().

  • greentide wrote:

    I see supplements as an option, but none forces me to play it. If it would be part of the KOE army book
    For the record

    Supplement, noun
    a thing added to something else in order to complete or enhance it.

    I don't think that is an "option" and if it is then it's very badly named.
    Never argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • Since you like to talk about semantics..

    Sir_Sully wrote:

    Supplement, noun
    a thing added to something else in order to complete or enhance it.

    Giladis wrote:

    For example Asklanders, Makhar and Cultists Supplements are not considered in the same category as the Giant Supplement. Generally speaking all four are outside the Core Game.
    If the name is fitting, is not for me to judge.
    But it´s clear, that this supplement doesn´t complete or enhance the KOE army book or even the ruleset(Core Game as Giladis said).
    I guess it may enhance the 9th age world or project, if people are willing to give it a chance.
    favourite quote:
    Kruber wrote:
    Imperial Rangers burn the woods ---> Sylvan Elves go cry in the corner.

    My armies:
    :EoS: :O&G: :KoE: :OK:
  • Sir_Sully wrote:

    WhammeWhamme wrote:

    Your headcanon was never canon and has actively not been canon for quite some time. T9A Giants are not malicious monsters, they're big cheerful dudes who are more "followers" than "leaders".
    There isn't any cannon so how are we meant to know this? Oh sorry, you're special so you get to know all the cannon and not tell us about it.
    Please can you go away and leave us alone?

    If you tell people to shut up and go away when they try to tell you about the background... perhaps it's not the project's fault that you don't know very much about the background, hmm?

    Giant canon was put out there for the 2.0 release; the Giants in the five AB's that had them then were all redesigned based on the T9A fluff. Which was, specifically, that Giants like to follow around little people and copy what they do.

    This was something the project released quite some time ago, and it's still getting the "you never tell us anything" kneejerk reflex. Makes it seem like that's more an excuse for clamouring for things from other IPs than a desire to know T9A's actual story.

    Background Team

  • Marcos24 wrote:

    So just curious, would You guys see it as a good thing if you see a Giant show up on every faction in a tournament?

    I would say the project's stance is that that's really a matter up to the tournament who is allowing a non-tournament supplement.

    My personal stance is "generally no, because 50+ person tournaments probably shouldn't be allowing this supplement, and in anything smaller, that would involve a massive dominance of Giants".

    I'd be happy to see a few showing up in casual, relazed funzies "tournaments" (like the yearly tradition NZ had for a while of WH events with special rules to encounter more Monsters), but this is spirinkles, not donut.

    Background Team

  • No I probably wouldn't enjoy a giant in every single list although I do enjoy fighting them. I think the generic design is really good and each individual giant is fairly unique considering. But as it stands currently I don't see giants making it into most lists.

    Where I would like to see more giants is in undead, particularly zombie giants but also EOS. Plus the existing ones I do see which is OnGs and WDG. Dwarf giants look strong but then their characters are much better, KOE same.

    Anyway I'm picturing giants as more a tag along. Like maybe the army didn't actually include them so much as one decided to follow the army around.
    "Realistically (unless you're DanT or some other genius) you need characters.." -Sir_Sully

    AVOIDANCE FAILS 28% OF THE TIME FOLKS. -SE
  • @WhammeWhamme @Stygian well, I’m asking for a personal opinion if seeing them show up in different factions more frequently would be a good thing to you all. You can bet people will ask for changes to rules to make them more “viable” so that can take them... those that want them.

    But, to me, if I see them more frequently, I’d be afraid of them becoming as common as farm animals. And just seeing the same “unique” thing show up regardless of faction would just kinda, I’m not sure. It’ll stick out like a sore thumb. “I’m fighting VC, and a there’s a giant. Then I’m fighting Sylvan Elves next, and there’s also giant. After that ooh a cavalry Empire Army with a steam tank, and... a giant. HBE Phoenix themed army... and a giant.
  • Marcos24 wrote:

    @WhammeWhamme @Stygian well, I’m asking for a personal opinion if seeing them show up in different factions more frequently would be a good thing to you all. You can bet people will ask for changes to rules to make them more “viable” so that can take them... those that want them.

    But, to me, if I see them more frequently, I’d be afraid of them becoming as common as farm animals. And just seeing the same “unique” thing show up regardless of faction would just kinda, I’m not sure. It’ll stick out like a sore thumb. “I’m fighting VC, and a there’s a giant. Then I’m fighting Sylvan Elves next, and there’s also giant. After that ooh a cavalry Empire Army with a steam tank, and... a giant. HBE Phoenix themed army... and a giant.

    Whereas if I saw them more frequently, I'd see more than one player fielding them.

    Srsly, I can think of ONE person I've played who took Giants.


    If asking for better rules for giants worked, they'd show up more in the armies that can take them. People like giants, but they don't usually actually put 'em in lists or even particularly advocate for buffs.

    Background Team

  • Marcos24 wrote:

    @WhammeWhamme @Stygian well, I’m asking for a personal opinion if seeing them show up in different factions more frequently would be a good thing to you all. You can bet people will ask for changes to rules to make them more “viable” so that can take them... those that want them.

    But, to me, if I see them more frequently, I’d be afraid of them becoming as common as farm animals. And just seeing the same “unique” thing show up regardless of faction would just kinda, I’m not sure. It’ll stick out like a sore thumb. “I’m fighting VC, and a there’s a giant. Then I’m fighting Sylvan Elves next, and there’s also giant. After that ooh a cavalry Empire Army with a steam tank, and... a giant. HBE Phoenix themed army... and a giant.
    Thats a fair point and people are already asking for buffs lol. Honestly I'm not sure if I'd ever field a giant in KOE. Its not something I personally desired I'm just trying to be accepting since it doesn't seem like an inclusion that would use up our actual budget.

    That said my personal opinion is in these armies giants seem out of place- HBE, SE, SA, KOE, DL. Not based on anything except my own personal perception of the factions. I think its a great modeling and narrative opportunity though so it doesn't bother me.

    Otoh if you see one in an army where you feel it shouldn't exist then unleash the hate!
    "Realistically (unless you're DanT or some other genius) you need characters.." -Sir_Sully

    AVOIDANCE FAILS 28% OF THE TIME FOLKS. -SE