square bases for AoS + solid basis for T9A

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• JimMorr wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if 'Old World' was set in Age of 3 Emperors, starting with Vampire Wars and advancing to Magnus coronation (250 years long story line). GW would kill two birds with one stone... great beckground with no retconning and reviving some heroes of old to bring them back as reborn souls in AoS. Could be interesting :).
    We're all probably giving them too much credit, but since they now need to find a way to shoehorn Sigmarines into the mix they'll probably have them tear open a portal in space-time in order to go back and prevent the End Times from happening in the first place.

Cue golden drop-pod crashing into the gates of Altdorf.
  • Why people think that they will add anything from AoS to the new game?

If you don't know what Horus Heresy is and how it works next to 40k, you should inform yourself about it before you make thinks up.

The minimum information we got was very clear and New GW does not make such hints if they are not true

Whatever the Old World will be, it will have nothing to do with AoS, it will not replace AoS but it will cover an ongoing longer campaign of at least one historical event from the old lore
  • Kodos der Henker wrote:

Why people think that they will add anything from AoS to the new game?
    They won't Paladins -> Reiksguard was only a joke. Rather they will use Old World New Warhammer to introduce new models into AoS "Magnus the Pious Stormcast Ethernal'. Well they had a game set in that period... Mordheim.
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
    _____________Current goals:
    • Launch crowdfunding campaign to publish The IXth Age Legendary rulebook in Hardcover
    • Convert and paint army of Ogres for my son

Why people think that they will add anything from AoS to the new game? If you don't know what Horus Heresy is and how it works next to 40k, you should inform yourself about it before you make thinks up.
    At this point we have a name and a logo. All of this discussion is speculation and, by extension, entirely made up, including your implication that the game will run alongside AoS in the way Horus Heresy runs alongside 40K.

But since you asked, I think they'll find a way to include Sigmarites in The Old World because - in their corporate wisdom - to not to would be like releasing Horus Heresy without Space Marines.
  • dan wrote:

Kodos der Henker wrote:

Why people think that they will add anything from AoS to the new game? If you don't know what Horus Heresy is and how it works next to 40k, you should inform yourself about it before you make thinks up.
    At this point we have a name and a logo. All of this discussion is speculation and, by extension, entirely made up, including your implication that the game will run alongside AoS in the way Horus Heresy runs alongside 40K.
    But since you asked, I think they'll find a way to include Sigmarites in The Old World because - in their corporate wisdom - to not to would be like releasing Horus Heresy without Space Marines.
    I would have no problem playing against them either. Probably wouldnt collect them though.
  • infamousme wrote:

I would have no problem playing against them either. Probably wouldnt collect them though.
    I agree on both counts. Like most of their post-AoS releases the aesthetic is a little cartoonish for my tastes, but I can rationalize them being like the anti-Daemons of the Old World - unstable in nature but popping up and fighting for human deities where they're needed.
  • I see this as a deadline for T9A to drop some awesome fluff.

If Old World drops as a brilliantly balanced game with the old school fluff then it’ll be a very compelling argument. Only thing that might save it is the memories of the past money grabs and the lack of security against them coming again.
    "The combination of lemon and habenero peppers was confusing to me. I will pay for this tomorrow i think." - Rosanjin Scholar, Iron Chef
  • At the "local" club (basement of shop) where I use to go play sometimes we are the only ones playing t9a. Maybe 85% of the ppl play MtG and 10% play 40k, x-wing or some other (that remaining 5% is left for us). I am not so bothered about that we are in the minority and ppl playing other games seem to be genuinely interested about the game and ask quite a few questions. Saturdays the place is all full and it looks like a real gaming den, but without those other games I don't think we would have much gaming nor visibility. So I think as long ppl are gathering and just playing it's a good thing.
  • Why are so many people cool with having no fluff?

I get that everyone here loves tournament play but there’s a big segment of players who love reading fluff and the hobby aspect of modeling, concerting and painting.

Fluff and lore give identity. Then people get into the hobby. I’m in on ninth age because the Dark Gods book is inspiring and badass. It makes me want to join the backstory team. It made me try to get 3 other players in on it.

Especially if it’s just “better rules, better balance” - look at what companies who already have that pitch are doing, like Mantic. They’re desperately trying to write better fluff. Churn out cooler things to do with the armies, and to enjoy the hobby.
  • Kristian wrote:

Better fluff.
    Subjective.
    I find GW fluff to be great for casual 13-15 year old me. 33 year old me wants some depth and nuance. GW just doesn't know what that is IMO.

echoCTRL wrote:

Maybe our Mascot should troll GW with a few posts about coming back. Like we saved them a set at the wargaming table or something.
    @Klepa are you there?

Haunted Forest wrote:

Thorek Ironbrown wrote:

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I predict a lot of disappointment 2-3 years from now.
    It´s a given. Just take a look at the rules of Necroumunda. Just a bloated mess which regularly contradicts itself. Only fans of the setting like myself stay and take the time to sort it out with house rules.Or how about 40K? Can I play my list from older editions? Let´s see:

- Cpt.
    - Librarian
    - 2x Tac squad
    - Assault squad
    - Dev squad
    - Whirlwind

When I mentioned this recently in a GW store, I was told to leave those minis on a shelf. Why? Well, good old power creep of course. Marines are in the process of being unofficially squatted because GW wants to sell me SM in the form of Primaris all over again. The suits in Nottingham must be crazy, if they think I fall for this ploy.

I am fairly certain that the guys who were responsible for writing the 9th Age rules could do a better job than GW, if they were given the task of writing an engaging ruleset for 40K. So who wants to go back to GW´s game design? You have to suffer from Stockholm syndrome to even consider such a thought.
    My buddy and I are considering running a 2nd edition 40k game at a local convention. Terminators making a 3+ save on 2D6? Yes please!

Cam wrote:

Eldan wrote:

Some of us enjoy looking at fantasy as paralell history and speculative fiction. Especially if one writes in a setting, at some point, the question "what does the fellowship eat on their journey" does come up.
    Mentioning what they eat or that they like beer or something is different to discussions being dedicated to how does farming work underground and how is it done on a scale to support a city. Which was a community example.
    DE economy one has been mentioned by staff and is just frankly boring.
    Again, Subjective.
    I love that the BGT is working to make the world more beleivable while also fantastical. The whole 'Its fantasy' is as bad as 'a wizard did it' - Suspension of disbeleif comes easier when solutions to easy questions are presented.

Hombre de Mundo wrote:

infamousme wrote:

I guess I'm saying that as long as AOS exists, nobody wins.
    Not true.As long as people play AoS, there's a market for Keto diets!
    Threads over folks.
    Thats it.
    This post right here killed it. We reached Peak T9A and its done.

Sidenote: The fact that we have our own forum in-joke makes me so happy. Its so stupid, but its part of why I like the community so much.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• SenecaJr wrote:

Why are so many people cool with having no fluff?

I get that everyone here loves tournament play but there’s a big segment of players who love reading fluff and the hobby aspect of modeling, concerting and painting.

Fluff and lore give identity. Then people get into the hobby. I’m in on ninth age because the Dark Gods book is inspiring and badass. It makes me want to join the backstory team. It made me try to get 3 other players in on it.

Especially if it’s just “better rules, better balance” - look at what companies who already have that pitch are doing, like Mantic. They’re desperately trying to write better fluff. Churn out cooler things to do with the armies, and to enjoy the hobby.
    the times i point out that certain decision are not fluffy (i.e. lance cavalry who charge shields got parried?really) the average answer is "balance" or something about biased PoV.

Hence i prefer to see no fluff but just stats.

Moreover, since i am planning to try to create an homebrew (in far future) this vision of the game cripple my feelings
  • dan wrote:

Kodos der Henker wrote:

No, that it will run alongside AoS in the same way as HH runs alongside 40k is an official statement regarding the new game from GW.

It is not only the name and logo but we know also that it will be like HH is for 40k, including that development will be done by ForgeWorld
  • What does "no fluff, just stats" even mean? Would you like to play Army 7/16? Do you play a core unit of twenty "models with defensive equipment number three" and one elite unit of sixteen "models with offensive equipment"? Would you like to play the Balanced Battle Game instead of the Game of Fantasy Battles?
    A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

Collection of all offcially posted Vermin background

"Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau."

dan wrote:

Kodos der Henker wrote:

No, that it will run alongside AoS in the same way as HH runs alongside 40k is an official statement regarding the new game from GW.
    It is not only the name and logo but we know also that it will be like HH is for 40k, including that development will be done by ForgeWorld
    I think you need to read the article again mate.
    What we know from the article is that it will be called: Warhammer, the old world.
    They have a team in the studio working on it.
    It will allow hobbyists to explore the old world, i.e the past of AOS.(and that was the parrallel drawn to HH)
    It will allow them to play with square bases.
    It will allow them to play with the old armies and heroes from the old world.
    it will be at least 2 years, probably 3 or more before release.
  • Eldan wrote:

What does "no fluff, just stats" even mean? Would you like to play Army 7/16?
    Background-agnostic rule system. I can really imagine such game. I can even imagine T9A evolving into one. Wouldn't like to play it though.

Generic Races like Ratman would have to stay. Units you call using some generic names. Use 1-3 keywords like Light, Line, Heavy, Guard, Auxiliary, Garrison, Siege, Assault, Volunteer, Engineering, Airborne and unit type Infantry, Cavalry, Beasts, Artillery, Construct.

Ratman army:
    Slaves - Auxiliary Infantry
    Foodpads - Light Infantry
    Rat-at-arms - Line Infantry
    Verminguard - Guard Infantry
    Plague Monks - Volunteer Infantry
    Giant Rats - Auxiliary Beasts
    Plague Disciples - Assault Light Infantry
    Vermin Hulks - Assault Heavy Infantry (Siege Heavy Infantry for thunderhulks)
    Rat Swarms - Light Beasts
    Meatgrinder - Assault Engineering Infantry
    Gutterblades - Light Guard Infantry
    Weaponteam - Siege Engineering Infantry
    Jezzail - Garrison Heavy Infantry
    Grenadiers - Siege Light Infantry
    Cannon - Garrison Artillery
    Catapult - Siege Artillery
    Dreadmill - Assault Construct
    Abomination - Heavy Beast

And here you go :)
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
    _____________Current goals:
    • Launch crowdfunding campaign to publish The IXth Age Legendary rulebook in Hardcover
    • Convert and paint army of Ogres for my son