square bases for AoS ?!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• If GW makes a Classic supported version of Warhammer, then T9A as a successor game of Classic fantasy battles, well... It won't have any sense for me.
    Someone didn't like pre-end of times lore?
    Come on, it was and it is awesome, a perfect Classic fantasy setting.
    So as before, the player community will adopt the rules adjustments needed to balance the gameplay.
    There are a lot of big "IF" in all this, but thinking both of a Warhammer Old World player groups separated from T9A(of Warhammer) player groups is like auto-kicking balls
    "Le donne, i cavallier, l'arme, gli amori,
    le cortesie, l'audaci imprese io canto"

Ludovico Ariosto
  • "And over the past four years, Warhammer Age of Sigmar has become by far, the most successful fantasy game ever."

Really? :O Am I that mistaken, is it even more successful than Warhammer Battle has ever been? That seems to be such a bold statement. Do we know how much AoS players there are, roughly?

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
  • Don't know their exact sale figures but their stocks are higher than ever before in their history. And have been since summer of 2017.

So there might be a grain of truth in their statement.
    All things wargaming. My super entertaining hobby blog where anything wargaming related can happen.

"I heard a television interviewer once suggest that the use of dice made battlegaming on par with Snakes and Ladders and such like games of change. Well, he was being just stupid, or trying to take a rise out of his guest. It is in fact the imponderable which does give reality to 'Battle' and, as we shall see, does cause the players to make proper allowance for the unlikely or even seemingly impossible, which, as we read, did happen surprisingly frequently in the annals of war."
    -Charles Grant
  • jirga wrote:

Don't know their exact sale figures but their stocks are higher than ever before in their history. And have been since summer of 2017.

this also accounts in Warhammer 40k, Horus Heresy, Necromunda, etc. Whales keep them afloat quite happily.
    I am going to offend you. You are not going to like it. You will survive.

Chaotic Neutral
    youtube.com/channel/UCJ9e5C1f26iuvhOA33rsFJQ

Model Reviews with Twice the Brain Injuries!
  • Eru wrote:

"And over the past four years, Warhammer Age of Sigmar has become by far, the most successful fantasy game ever."

Really? :O Am I that mistaken, is it even more successful than Warhammer Battle has ever been? That seems to be such a bold statement. Do we know how much AoS players there are, roughly?
    i guess success for gw was based on sales and profits? That sounds really cynical, but i dont begrudge a company stopping a product line if it was losing them money.
  • jirga wrote:

Don't know their exact sale figures but their stocks are higher than ever before in their history. And have been since summer of 2017.

Yes, successful in term of profit then. But as their margins have also increased a lot, I'm not sure more people are actually playing? And Warhammer Battle was also played during much more time. Anyway, just semantics...

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
  • Eru wrote:

"And over the past four years, Warhammer Age of Sigmar has become by far, the most successful fantasy game ever."

i'm surprised that you're surprised. in this day and age, people say what they want, even when it's clearly not true. they just shove it down your troaths with potent PR channels. and people believe it just because they read it on their phones.

that's the kind of girlfriend everybody is rushing forward to again.
    i dont know anymore if i prefer T9A because creativity, balance, opennes, cost, or DIGNITY.
  • dan wrote:

hypnotic wrote:

Fo example spending a lot of resources and time on art and fluff for full books ,may not be the best idea.
    Actually I'd argue the opposite, this is why it's even more important that we churn out background to establish ourselves as a viable, alternative mass battle ruleset.
    I would like it to work, but do you really belive than few non provit volounteers can keep up with GW and their resources? I am not saying its impossible but judgeing by current progress rate with FABs, it seems improbable. What I am saying is that this GW statement should resoult in reconsidering 9th age shedule, so its good to know it erlier. If it is realistic to keep up with them, if they decide to throw all resources into warhammer again in 2-3 years perspeccvive. If the answer is yeas, than fine, but if it is doubtfull than maybe plans should be alternated in the best possible way.
  • Is going to be a less complicated and burocratic game for casual players. At that moment ETC is going to decide if they are going to use Warhammer fixed or t9a. If ETC choose Warhammer fixed we are going to see again WHFB tournament around instead T9A. And for T9A is going to be over . T9A can live only if the tournament players hold on. And the tournament players watch ETC

This is only a scenario. What do you think boys?
  • hypnotic wrote:

Good or bad news, its definitively something that T9A project have to take into consideration. For example spending a lot of resources and time on art and fluff for full books, may not be the best idea.
    Rulewise 9th age wins, and that should be top priority. We cant beat GW resources, marketing, community management, attracting new players and of course new models. If they start pumping reasonable models , that cant be used in 9th age, lets say HE wyrm riders or DH bear riders on 50x75 bases, we are in trouble.
    There are areas where GW will beat T9A and areas where they cannot compete against T9A.
    - Models is a GW main strength, as they have gorgeous ones - however, we have access to every model companies when they usually insist for players to use exclusively GW models, limiting to a single company.
    - Selling models is also a marketing strength for GW.
    - They do commercial marketing and may pour in lots of money, when we rely on stronger, but more elusive mouth to ear marketing.

- Nostalgia for the old world BG is a strength, but mitigated by 1) there will be a 7 or 8 years gap during which most of us have learned to live elsewhere, 2) we are spoiled by knowing know how it ends (Malekith wins over the HE, yeah! - unless they retcon), 3) they will certainly change many details for various reasons which will not please everyone, and 4) they have destroyed it once, people know they can do it again.
    - BG is also their liability and our strength: we are free to move on and develop super interesting innovating ideas, while they are stuck with the old universe and have to be careful doing any change.
    - I would argue that they will find hard to beat us in the quality of the BG. We have a professional linguist to define linguistics, a professional sailor to design navies, a professional cartographer to design some maps etc. If they want to reach the same quality, they can hire the same people, but those won't work pro bono as they do for T9A.
    - What they can buy freely and we can't is artwork. We rely on donations and pro bono work.

- Rulewise, T9A is balanced by a very large team of quasi-professional players working for us pro bono - unlikely that they would afford that.
    - Rulewise, T9A will keep independence from the need to sell models, so no power creep and model obsolescence to fear. They cannot beat that with their business model.

Finally, about community management, even if they have made immense progress listening to their customers, even if they pour buckets of money in there, well customers remain customers. T9A is your game in a sense that GW cannot reach. Litterally the whole T9A team is made exclusively of customers. Additionally we welcome Homebrew to allow those who did not make it to the team to participate as well.

Franchise is a strength for them, but also for us in a different way: our franchise is for free! The longer we last, the more detailed our BG, the more attractive T9A will be for game producers, film makers, game creators etc. In particular, our franchise cannot be beaten to attract benevolent semi-professionals. They will get a nice finished product, partnering with professional studios, we will get a wealth of creativity, partnering with any and each of you.

Finally, as they realize apparently that we outlived their expectations, and we showed them an interesting niche, they may be as realistic as to be supportive of us - we help to sell models, after all.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • Persedious wrote:

I have a lot more to say on the subject than just this, but my first thought was if the Bretonnians somehow get a new book/pamphlet before the KoE do we are going to be a giant meme.
    I cannot take bets because of being an insider, but I wish I could. :charge:

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • jirga wrote:

This still surprises me as I literally never see the game propping up anywhere. Just don't seem to have presence.

My current theory is that people buy the models, but don't play AoS
  • For me, it does not matter in the slightest if GW decides to go back to the WHFB or anything similar. They have completely lost my trust as a consumer. They could make a great game, but it does not matter because they have already shown what they think of the people who buy their games.

If they come out with something similar to rank and file table top games again, there are plenty of people who will want to play it. But I remember everything they did regarding their terrible Q/A work, their pushing super expensive overpowered models, everything they did with the Endtimes (Can't wait to see what cool thing they give to Lizardmen! Oh wait, after spending a bunch of money on the new book, it turns out that the Lizardmen get wiped out by a falling moon. So glad that the army I spent so much time on got pushed aside like a bunch of garbage X( ).

They are the same as Activision-Blizzard to me. They may have had some stuff that I really liked in the past, and they may put out some really interesting stuff in the future, but I cannot trust them not to try to take advantage of me.

I am not giving either company another penny.
  • Calisson wrote:

hypnotic wrote:

Good or bad news, its definitively something that T9A project have to take into consideration. For example spending a lot of resources and time on art and fluff for full books, may not be the best idea.
    Rulewise 9th age wins, and that should be top priority. We cant beat GW resources, marketing, community management, attracting new players and of course new models. If they start pumping reasonable models , that cant be used in 9th age, lets say HE wyrm riders or DH bear riders on 50x75 bases, we are in trouble.
    There are areas where GW will beat T9A and areas where they cannot compete against T9A.- Models is a GW main strength, as they have gorgeous ones - however, we have access to every model companies when they usually insist for players to use exclusively GW models, limiting to a single company.
    - Selling models is also a marketing strength for GW.
    - They do commercial marketing and may pour in lots of money, when we rely on stronger, but more elusive mouth to ear marketing.

- Nostalgia for the old world BG is a strength, but mitigated by 1) there will be a 7 or 8 years gap during which most of us have learned to live elsewhere, 2) we are spoiled by knowing know how it ends (Malekith wins over the HE, yeah! - unless they retcon), 3) they will certainly change many details for various reasons which will not please everyone, and 4) they have destroyed it once, people know they can do it again.
    - BG is also their liability and our strength: we are free to move on and develop super interesting innovating ideas, while they are stuck with the old universe and have to be careful doing any change.
    - I would argue that they will find hard to beat us in the quality of the BG. We have a professional linguist to define linguistics, a professional sailor to design navies, a professional cartographer to design some maps etc. If they want to reach the same quality, they can hire the same people, but those won't work pro bono as they do for T9A.
    - What they can buy freely and we can't is artwork. We rely on donations and pro bono work.

- Rulewise, T9A is balanced by a very large team of quasi-professional players working for us pro bono - unlikely that they would afford that.
    - Rulewise, T9A will keep independence from the need to sell models, so no power creep and model obsolescence to fear. They cannot beat that with their business model.

Finally, about community management, even if they have made immense progress listening to their customers, even if they pour buckets of money in there, well customers remain customers. T9A is your game in a sense that GW cannot reach. Litterally the whole T9A team is made exclusively of customers. Additionally we welcome Homebrew to allow those who did not make it to the team to participate as well.

Franchise is a strength for them, but also for us in a different way: our franchise is for free! The longer we last, the more detailed our BG, the more attractive T9A will be for game producers, film makers, game creators etc. In particular, our franchise cannot be beaten to attract benevolent semi-professionals. They will get a nice finished product, partnering with professional studios, we will get a wealth of creativity, partnering with any and each of you.

Finally, as they realize apparently that we outlived their expectations, and we showed them an interesting niche, they may be as realistic as to be supportive of us - we help to sell models, after all.
    I really doubt 9th age would survive direct competition from GW. They do everything better. But it still remains to be seen if the game will be like old warhammer or something new.