square bases for AoS ?!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

  • Persedious wrote:

    I have a lot more to say on the subject than just this, but my first thought was if the Bretonnians somehow get a new book/pamphlet before the KoE do we are going to be a giant meme.
    And the dwarves will probably get fluff before the dwarf holds do. I mean, the team somehow managed to write a background compendium that doesn't even mention dwarves.
    A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "
  • Eru wrote:

    "And over the past four years, Warhammer Age of Sigmar has become by far, the most successful fantasy game ever."

    Really? :O Am I that mistaken, is it even more successful than Warhammer Battle has ever been? That seems to be such a bold statement. Do we know how much AoS players there are, roughly?
    I have 0 to no interest in playing AoS and it's still clear to me it is absurdly more successful than fantasy was. Sure fantasy was already dying, AoS is still a success,an undeniable one and it will probably still be mbore successful than fantasy when it comes back. It just means fantasy is big enough to be worth a semi continuation or an adaptation.

    GW wouldn't be in so many tourneys and palaces if it wasn't working
  • Eldan wrote:

    Persedious wrote:

    I have a lot more to say on the subject than just this, but my first thought was if the Bretonnians somehow get a new book/pamphlet before the KoE do we are going to be a giant meme.
    And the dwarves will probably get fluff before the dwarf holds do. I mean, the team somehow managed to write a background compendium that doesn't even mention dwarves.
    Mate if you dislike T9A so much why are you here, seriously?
  • Nemeroth wrote:

    Eldan wrote:

    Persedious wrote:

    I have a lot more to say on the subject than just this, but my first thought was if the Bretonnians somehow get a new book/pamphlet before the KoE do we are going to be a giant meme.
    And the dwarves will probably get fluff before the dwarf holds do. I mean, the team somehow managed to write a background compendium that doesn't even mention dwarves.
    Mate if you dislike T9A so much why are you here, seriously?

    don't you worry, he said he's leaving.
  • my (optimistic) prediction of the future?

    GW becomes our mantic (circa 2010) a model company with a token rules set.

    I don't think GW will ever make a better rules set than our team have. They had 8 versions and 20 or so years, and our team did a better job in 3.

    Again being overly optimistic, but if GW does support a square base formation game, our rules will always be better because we aren't trying to sell anything. anyone looking to 'graduate' from skirmishes to battles will be an experienced gamer, and with experienced gamers they will always gravitate to better game rules.

    I would suggest GW thinking goes like this 'WHFB struggled because of the cost of entry. AoS is cheaper to get into. But we want to sell more models. WHFB sold more models. Lets find a way to get people able to upscale to big armies. oh I know..."
  • can I just ask since everybody is saying 9th age has a better/more balanced ruleset..what would stop GW from adopting your ruleset?
    9th age isn't an IP so I doubt you could sue them even if you had the resources in the first instance.
    There's also the possibility that, if GW sees this project as direct competition for old world they could issue a cease and desist on this entire project.
  • heres a problem t9A may have to deal with in 2 years time.

    I think GW is looking for a way to upscale peoples collections and sales of their AoS armies.

    I think they will introduce converter bases - you know those round bases into square bases.

    but this isn't going to work for 20x20mm. Does t9a stay with our sizes, or we align to GW to facilitate t9A growth? or is there an alternative scale rule set (like mini hammer).
  • Kristian wrote:

    I really doubt 9th age would survive direct competition from GW. They do everything better. But it still remains to be seen if the game will be like old warhammer or something new.
    please, you really think that GW rules were/are better than t9a rules?
    Sorry but why are you here and not playing AoS?

    Playtester

    DL-Comunity Support

    Master of the Coins

  • spicybarbecue wrote:

    can I just ask since everybody is saying 9th age has a better/more balanced ruleset..what would stop GW from adopting your ruleset?
    9th age isn't an IP so I doubt you could sue them even if you had the resources in the first instance.
    There's also the possibility that, if GW sees this project as direct competition for old world they could issue a cease and desist on this entire project.
    there was always the risk of litigation, so theres always that chance. I would think that high risk window has passed, but theres a chance they will look to reassert their rights...

    but

    GW hated making rules. they hated criticism over rules. they took an approach 10 or so years ago that they are a model company, with rules only there to facilitate sales.

    I keep going back to how mantic used to be- while WHFB was around they had a rules set but really they were just there to sell models for Whfb. this might be a preferable space for GW- sell the models, but outsource the trouble of writing the rules.
  • IoRi78 wrote:

    Kristian wrote:

    I really doubt 9th age would survive direct competition from GW. They do everything better. But it still remains to be seen if the game will be like old warhammer or something new.
    please, you really think that GW rules were/are better than t9a rules?Sorry but why are you here and not playing AoS?
    because AoS is not a rank and file game.
    Because GW wrote rules that had a much broader appeal than 9th age...
  • Damo wrote:

    spicybarbecue wrote:

    can I just ask since everybody is saying 9th age has a better/more balanced ruleset..what would stop GW from adopting your ruleset?
    9th age isn't an IP so I doubt you could sue them even if you had the resources in the first instance.
    There's also the possibility that, if GW sees this project as direct competition for old world they could issue a cease and desist on this entire project.
    there was always the risk of litigation, so theres always that chance. I would think that high risk window has passed, but theres a chance they will look to reassert their rights...
    but

    GW hated making rules. they hated criticism over rules. they took an approach 10 or so years ago that they are a model company, with rules only there to facilitate sales.

    I keep going back to how mantic used to be- while WHFB was around they had a rules set but really they were just there to sell models for Whfb. this might be a preferable space for GW- sell the models, but outsource the trouble of writing the rules.

    Yeah, past tense
    This GW is gone and "New" GW is doing things different, specially about rules (since they realised that people pay for a yearly point adjustment)

    But comparing to Mantic is a good point, just ask who played 1st Edition KoW (or 2nd Edition Warpath instead of 40k) that was clearly the better/more balanced ruleset.
    Or why GW did not just took the Mantic rules as they hated writing rules and sold models.

    And the very same applies to T9A as well.
    Mantic got around by adding their own IP and background to their games and started making models for those (and not just cheap alternatives for GW)

    Why should T9A being in a different situation with "The old World" released as Mantic was during 8th Edition Warhammer (and 6th 40k)
  • Rather, GW has the marketing power to get players in and reach the critical mass needed to ensure you can find an active club anywhere.

    It would be a mistake to be arrogant and pretend nothing happened, or take it for granted that GW will make a mistake. Luckily we have a couple years to take action.
    I am not sure if the life time GW plans for this revival, we'd rather make a set of potential scenarios, impacts, and how to work with it.

    Tournament Analysis


    My armies: EoS / WDG / BH / HbE / O&G / DH
  • piteglio wrote:

    Nemeroth wrote:

    Eldan wrote:

    Persedious wrote:

    I have a lot more to say on the subject than just this, but my first thought was if the Bretonnians somehow get a new book/pamphlet before the KoE do we are going to be a giant meme.
    And the dwarves will probably get fluff before the dwarf holds do. I mean, the team somehow managed to write a background compendium that doesn't even mention dwarves.
    Mate if you dislike T9A so much why are you here, seriously?
    don't you worry, he said he's leaving.
    Everybody knows that Eldan is not going anywhere. He Is part of the setting. :D
  • dan wrote:

    spicybarbecue wrote:

    can I just ask since everybody is saying 9th age has a better/more balanced ruleset..what would stop GW from adopting your ruleset?
    Nothing. You can't copyright a ruleset, only the language in which those rules are written.
    Insert knowing wink here.
    Actually they can't, unless they are able to pick up the work with the same quality or better, because they can't risk basing their game on a potentially unstable rule set: we could stop updating rules tomorrow.

    After @piteglio message about his reasons for liking T9A, I questioned myself. I think the most important feature of T9A to me is that it's not money-driven but passion-driven. This comes with a whole lot of benefits that makes me not even consider other similar games. A game could be both, sure, but it's probably utopian.

    Slim Layout Coordinator

    Translation Coordinator

    Translation-Team FR

    I ♥ LaTeX

    Local Moderator (French)


    LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
  • Damo wrote:

    GW becomes our mantic (circa 2010) a model company with a token rules set.

    I don't think GW will ever make a better rules set than our team have. They had 8 versions and 20 or so years, and our team did a better job in 3.

    Again being overly optimistic, but if GW does support a square base formation game, our rules will always be better because we aren't trying to sell anything. anyone looking to 'graduate' from skirmishes to battles will be an experienced gamer, and with experienced gamers they will always gravitate to better game rules.

    I would suggest GW thinking goes like this 'WHFB struggled because of the cost of entry. AoS is cheaper to get into. But we want to sell more models. WHFB sold more models. Lets find a way to get people able to upscale

    Mercenary Armies wrote:

    piteglio wrote:

    Nemeroth wrote:

    Eldan wrote:

    Persedious wrote:

    I have a lot more to say on the subject than just this, but my first thought was if the Bretonnians somehow get a new book/pamphlet before the KoE do we are going to be a giant meme.
    And the dwarves will probably get fluff before the dwarf holds do. I mean, the team somehow managed to write a background compendium that doesn't even mention dwarves.
    Mate if you dislike T9A so much why are you here, seriously?
    don't you worry, he said he's leaving.
    Everybody knows that Eldan is not going anywhere. He Is part of the setting. :D
    Well, yeah. When I said leaving, I meant that I will be playing Warhammer. I'll still be here for the setting discussions.
    A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "
  • 8 pages in like 6 hours? wow.

    I skimmed through some of it.

    With the success of Vermintide and Total war. They finally realized that the WFB setting and stories were very interesting and captivating.
    I said a while back that as a business they should have never forced WFB out the way they did. They didn't just blow up the settting, they literally destroyed all the books on the shelf. Like some CEO read a beginners guide to business where it said you gotta go "all in and never look back" when doing something new.

    What they should have done was just release AoS, and let Fantasy linger on like they did with Mordheim, Necromunda, battlefleet gothic, etc...
    So stupid trying to force players into AoS because they were scared that people wouln't "try something new".

    Anyway, they are a different company now, even a change of shareholders since those days.

    ----------------------------

    I think it would be super cool if they just had their stuff as T9A compatible.

    More realistic - they are a business with a great IP in the old world so they probably going to do a thing where the older editions of WFB are all available online or something.
    And if it gains enough interest they will give it the 30k treatment.
  • Kristian wrote:

    IoRi78 wrote:

    Kristian wrote:

    I really doubt 9th age would survive direct competition from GW. They do everything better. But it still remains to be seen if the game will be like old warhammer or something new.
    please, you really think that GW rules were/are better than t9a rules?Sorry but why are you here and not playing AoS?
    because AoS is not a rank and file game.Because GW wrote rules that had a much broader appeal than 9th age...
    a broader appeal in what? Unfair games? Selling the last model relesed?
    Really, why? Why are you asking to be screwed again and again by someone who care about you only for the money you can spend? Why you want to just a customer?

    Playtester

    DL-Comunity Support

    Master of the Coins

  • So does this news clip from Games Workshop mean that we won’t have to wait 8 years for all the 2nd Edition FAB’s to be completed?

    Will this news clip stop the T9A brass from fumbling around with their 2.1.blah points adjustment for next year’s ETC (the only tournament data we really care about)? Will T9A turn their focus on to the core of the game; 1v1 all-comers lists?

    Will the community finally get to see Ninth Age’s full-version of the world fluff in which this game is based in? Or do I have to continue to use Games Workshop 8th Edition fluff until they release theirs in 3 or less years?
  • Fergus wrote:

    So does this news clip from Games Workshop mean that we won’t have to wait 8 years for all the 2nd Edition FAB’s to be completed?

    Will this news clip stop the T9A brass from fumbling around with their 2.1.blah points adjustment for next year’s ETC (the only tournament data we really care about)? Will T9A turn their focus on to the core of the game; 1v1 all-comers lists?

    Will the community finally get to see Ninth Age’s full-version of the world fluff in which this game is based in? Or do I have to continue to use Games Workshop 8th Edition fluff until they release theirs in 3 or less years?
    Oh! And I’m NOT sorry about this post. I have been a true supporter of this project since 2015.

    And let me enlighten you what the main subject was at HogFest this past weekend, “Is Ninth Age dying?” To be honest, it sure is in the United States Midwest Market. The only reason I attended was to hang out with old friends I made when we used to play Warhammer.