square bases for AoS ?!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Fergus wrote:

So does this news clip from Games Workshop mean that we won’t have to wait 8 years for all the 2nd Edition FAB’s to be completed?
    Oh, I think GW will churn out those army books in record time! In all of their unedited, alpha tested glory. :)

A game I play with the GW books is to find how many spelling mistakes and editing errors you can find on the first read through.
    Nothing has topped 5th edition Tyranids.
    8th edition Dark Elves was pretty bad too, you can tell that sucker was rushed.
  • IoRi78 wrote:

a broader appeal in what? Unfair games? Selling the last model relesed?Really, why? Why are you asking to be screwed again and again by someone who care about you only for the money you can spend? Why you want to just a customer?
    Main reason why people don't care for the rules as long as it is GW?

Cause it is an easy and save investment. Spending 600€ for an Army and time painting it for a game you are not sure it is still there in a year or you have to actively search and care for players

GW customers don't care about who has the better rules
  • Peacemaker wrote:

Fergus wrote:

So does this news clip from Games Workshop mean that we won’t have to wait 8 years for all the 2nd Edition FAB’s to be completed?
    Oh, I think GW will churn out those army books in record time! In all of their unedited, alpha tested glory. :)
    we all remember the beutifull work of 6th ed dark elf, or the 8th edition Bretonnian and Skaven books.

Playtester

DL-Comunity Support

Master of the Coins

• Eru wrote:

I think the most important feature of T9A to me is that it's not money-driven but passion-driven.
    amen.

we even have supporting companies that are passion-driven. because being money-driven might be wiser, sure. but when you care about both the product and the user, you always end up creating something better.

a couple of decades ago my school teachers asked me why i was using "free" and "unofficial" Wikipedia, instead of the expensive Encyclopaedia they had bought over the years for the school. in their eyes, i must have been utterly crazy.
    well...

Fergus wrote:

Oh! And I’m NOT sorry about this post. I have been a true supporter of this project since 2015.

you shouldnt be sorry. your support does show in that post as well.
    i agree. it is time to roll our sleeves up.
  • IoRi78 wrote:

Peacemaker wrote:

Fergus wrote:

we all remember the beutifull work of 6th ed dark elf, or the 8th edition Bretonnian and Skaven books.
    ya, I loved those books..... hey wait a second!
  • Kodos der Henker wrote:

IoRi78 wrote:

a broader appeal in what? Unfair games? Selling the last model relesed?Really, why? Why are you asking to be screwed again and again by someone who care about you only for the money you can spend? Why you want to just a customer?
    Cause it is an easy and save investment. Spending 600€ for an Army and time painting it for a game you are not sure it is still there in a year or you have to actively search and care for players

which is what happened to old WH? And may happen to the new if it not sell enough?

Playtester

DL-Comunity Support

Master of the Coins

• Kodos der Henker wrote:

IoRi78 wrote:

omg! I almost completely forgot about how someone could go from fielding 4 sky cutters to only being able to use two the following year!

Kudos to the ETC player that utilized tuna cans as Skycutters. He was one smart player that didn’t waste a whole year painting models that are invalid.

#hobbyingFor9thAge-is-a-joke
  • Eru wrote:

dan wrote:

spicybarbecue wrote:

can I just ask since everybody is saying 9th age has a better/more balanced ruleset..what would stop GW from adopting your ruleset?
    Nothing. You can't copyright a ruleset, only the language in which those rules are written.Insert knowing wink here.
    Actually they can't, unless they are able to pick up the work with the same quality or better, because they can't risk basing their game on a potentially unstable rule set: we could stop updating rules tomorrow.
    After @piteglio message about his reasons for liking T9A, I questioned myself. I think the most important feature of T9A to me is that it's not money-driven but passion-driven. This comes with a whole lot of benefits that makes me not even consider other similar games. A game could be both, sure, but it's probably utopian.
    Well certainly if GW were to adopt T9A rules they wouldn’t wait on our updates, they’d pick version 2.0 or 2.1 or whatever they wanted, reword things, and call it Warhammer: Old World. There’d obviously be a dollop of irony in that.

But the truth is that, regardless of who is making decisions at the helm, GW has always been an immensely prideful company with an almost formal policy of totally ignoring that any other rules/miniature companies even exist. The chances of them taking any iteration of our rules is essentially zero.
  • Pellegrim wrote:

Little Joe wrote:

We already have units that never existed in Warhammer
    Which have no fixed models, which is kinda niche.
    But my message was more that the key factor 9th Age has is a complete ruleset for the 16 classic armies. Further expansion is vastly harder without serious commercial backing (for obvious reasons).
    I strongly disagree, the whole point of T9A is to be miniature agnostic. You use what you like and for each of those models many supporting companies gave us their take. As a project we will never pick one over all others, that choice is up to you, the player.
    Look at the list of supporting companies, we have an insane industry backing. Some companies even go as far as to use compatible with T9A logos on official product images. We have a section at Wayland Games. :D

What the project provides in raw manpower to make good solid rules can't be matched by any company out there. The amount of real playtesting and statistics from regular tournament analysis guarantee that the game is able to maintain that high quality.

Kristian wrote:

I really doubt 9th age would survive direct competition from GW. They do everything better. But it still remains to be seen if the game will be like old warhammer or something new.
    We already do, we compete with AoS. Them doing everything better is a very bold claim, the project is still here and doing well.

spicybarbecue wrote:

can I just ask since everybody is saying 9th age has a better/more balanced ruleset..what would stop GW from adopting your ruleset?
    9th age isn't an IP so I doubt you could sue them even if you had the resources in the first instance.
    There's also the possibility that, if GW sees this project as direct competition for old world they could issue a cease and desist on this entire project.
    They are free to use it just like anyone else. Why would the project sue them for that? The licence clearly allows it.

T9A is not in danger of getting sued either.

Kodos der Henker wrote:

Yeah, past tense
    This GW is gone and "New" GW is doing things different, specially about rules (since they realised that people pay for a yearly point adjustment)

But comparing to Mantic is a good point, just ask who played 1st Edition KoW (or 2nd Edition Warpath instead of 40k) that was clearly the better/more balanced ruleset.
    Or why GW did not just took the Mantic rules as they hated writing rules and sold models.

And the very same applies to T9A as well.
    Mantic got around by adding their own IP and background to their games and started making models for those (and not just cheap alternatives for GW)

Why should T9A being in a different situation with "The old World" released as Mantic was during 8th Edition Warhammer (and 6th 40k)
    The project will need to work to build a world for sure, and I am confident in the outcome.

GW is not new or innovative, they just follow the ways of the digital gaming industries and copy the successful formulas. That is not saying they are evil or anything like that, they are what they are and many of us are here because of that. Which is nice.
    Mantic is doing great in my opinion, which is awesome.

T9A has no reason to hate or fear any company, we love all of them that make miniatures to play with. There also is not one master game, there is just a hobby and much fun to be had.
  • Fergus wrote:

Fergus wrote:

Will this news clip stop the T9A brass from fumbling around with their 2.1.blah points adjustment for next year’s ETC (the only tournament data we really care about)? Will T9A turn their focus on to the core of the game; 1v1 all-comers lists?

Will the community finally get to see Ninth Age’s full-version of the world fluff in which this game is based in? Or do I have to continue to use Games Workshop 8th Edition fluff until they release theirs in 3 or less years?
    Oh! And I’m NOT sorry about this post. I have been a true supporter of this project since 2015.
    And let me enlighten you what the main subject was at HogFest this past weekend, “Is Ninth Age dying?” To be honest, it sure is in the United States Midwest Market. The only reason I attended was to hang out with old friends I made when we used to play Warhammer.
    I don’t think it’s dying in the Midwest. I was at the Denver GT. It was short of 30 players that’s just because @iggykoopa had to get married that weekend and that cost us about 10 players lol.

Red River Rumble GT in OKC is back, February 2020.

The Wicked GT in Wichita, KS in May 2020.

We’ve grown our player base in this region. I know @Hornedratrob goes to the Ohio GTs. I don’t think 9th Age has that bleak of a future. Does the possibility of WHFB coming back pose a threat? ABSOLUTELY!!! Are we going to sit on our hands until G-Dub gets their $hit together in 2-3 years???? NO!!! We are going to roll dice play games and drink beer.... maybe not in that order. Lol
  • Fergus wrote:

Will this news clip stop the T9A brass from fumbling around with their 2.1.blah points adjustment for next year’s ETC (the only tournament data we really care about)? Will T9A turn their focus on to the core of the game; 1v1 all-comers lists?

Will the community finally get to see Ninth Age’s full-version of the world fluff in which this game is based in? Or do I have to continue to use Games Workshop 8th Edition fluff until they release theirs in 3 or less years?
    Nothing in that statement is true, regardless if you believe it or not.
    Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
    ETC 2017 Warm-up Herford - Head Judge
    ETC 2017 Salamanca - Head Judge
    ETC 2018 - Team Sweden - Ogre Khans
    ETC 2019 - Team Sweden
  • Fergus wrote:

Kodos der Henker wrote:

IoRi78 wrote:

Main reason why people don't care for the rules as long as it is GW?Cause it is an easy and save investment. Spending 600€ for an Army and time painting it for a game you are not sure it is still there in a year or you have to actively search and care for players

omg! I almost completely forgot about how someone could go from fielding 4 sky cutters to only being able to use two the following year!
    Kudos to the ETC player that utilized tuna cans as Skycutters. He was one smart player that didn’t waste a whole year painting models that are invalid.

maybe instead of spamming broken models someone can learn to play in a way both players enjoy.
    But no, one use four Skycutters because is a lore player...

Playtester

DL-Comunity Support

Master of the Coins

• IoRi78 wrote:

Kodos der Henker wrote:

IoRi78 wrote:

Main reason why people don't care for the rules as long as it is GW?Cause it is an easy and save investment. Spending 600€ for an Army and time painting it for a game you are not sure it is still there in a year or you have to actively search and care for players

which is what happened to old WH? And may happen to the new if it not sell enough?
    the the game, not the models (they are still there in AoS)

Peacemaker wrote:

IoRi78 wrote:

ya, I loved those books..... hey wait a second!

even Mantic make jokes about those 2:

• Fergus wrote:

Come on man, you're better than this. I think we both know the vast majority of T9A players feel the same of that tuna can crap army. As far as hobbying... the thing i'd dread the most of all my friends going back to WHF is me not being able to use whichever models i want for my army.

That is seriously my biggest concern, followed by number 2, something you might not relate to, is the addition of some extreme fantasy models to my faction but, we'll see. Even for Equitaine, i'm still worried about the same when the LAB comes...
  • IoRi78 wrote:

Kodos der Henker wrote:

To the game, not the models (they are still there in AoS)
    and t9a have take away some model? Or have given you a way to play your model with a set of rules that continue in a way we all loved for years?
    Ikit Claw, Thanquoal, Throt the Unclean, Tretch Craventail, tunnel teams, scientist moulders, suicide bomber slaves, rocket engineers... all don't have rules anymore.
    A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

"Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "
  • I agree with people that think a direct competition T9A/GW would be deadly.
    T9A grow because its an awesome game, and because old Battle player join it. If Battle resurect, we loose the main source of new player from our game.

Maybe i am utopic, but what about T9A community writing a letter to GW through social media.

Somethin like:

Some of us, feel betrayed by GW, some of us still like you, but we all have a lot of respect for the GW legacy, and we dont want to close the door to futur. What we all agree that T9A is an awesome adventure, that the community as succesfully created by itself a ruleset balanced compared to all history of GW ruleset. That GW models are beautiful.
    We have created T9A not against GW, but because we wanted the warhammer fanatsy battle community to survive. Now T9A exist, and if you respect your fan base, you should consider T9A in your policy. Please dont see us like a competitor or an ennemy, we are your children.
    We really want to avoid to see the community splitted again. All our effort was done to keep the dark fantasy/massive battle/rank&file community united. We now want to continue playing with a balanced game, and we would love to see our community keep growing. Your main goal as companie is to sell product, what about think for the futur with T9A as a friend. T9A, need models, T9A needs visibility. You can offer both. Our legal notice let plenty of space for selling stuff, in exchange we can offer to you a balanced game for player who like it, and customers who will buy models, and potentially a nice communication programm ( Show T9A as something created by the warhammer community player, and a nice reconciliation story.)
    Im pretty sure, that with diplomatie and intelligence, there is plenty of solution, really positive for GW companie and for the old player community. For exemple we could imagine that GW created a new game system, where rules set is juste a ultra basic set, open to official community rules adjustement, and where T9A could be, one of those official ruleset option etc...

Ok maybe i am a bit utopic; but i really think T9A should communicate to GW something like that. And not take the position, we are big enough now to be independant, and ignore them.

This is a 3 year programm, i am pretty sure, they dont really now exaclty what they will do, so door are still open; a reall T9A/GW cooperation is certainly utopia, but a friendly cohabitation is certainly possible.

Website Team

Art Team

Graphic designer  cas-p.net
  • Eldan wrote:

IoRi78 wrote:

Kodos der Henker wrote:

To the game, not the models (they are still there in AoS)
    and t9a have take away some model? Or have given you a way to play your model with a set of rules that continue in a way we all loved for years?
    Ikit Claw, Thanquoal, Throt the Unclean, Tretch Craventail, tunnel teams, scientist moulders, suicide bomber slaves, rocket engineers... all don't have rules anymore.
    you have all rapresentative in vs army. You want the stories behind Eldan, not rules. You want the feeling and dreams that gw given to you.
    This things t9a can not give you. T9a can give you a way to play that is fun for both players, instead only for the one with the last released thing or using the last bug in the rule set.
    I have already told you some time ago, this is not a place for you, t9a will never give you what you want.

Playtester

DL-Comunity Support

Master of the Coins