Return of the Warhammer Old World by GW?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GW in their own video and art hints that Grand Cathay get rules and models for warhammer the old world. This is good.

If warhammer the old world gets army lists for all factions from the warhammer total war series, the game is very massive. I like!

I send suggestion for Gw and White dwarf that before we get army books, we should get Ravening Hordes booklet like in 6th edition. They answered and said that they think about it. Im not first who suggest it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bretboy84 ().

• Bretboy84 wrote:

GW in their own video and art hints that Grand Cathay get rules and models for warhammer the old world. This is good.

If warhammer the old world gets army lists for all factions from the warhammer total war series, the game is very massiivinen. I like!
      This is not exactly true. The rules and stats provided to CA are based on 8th ed to ensure compatibility with the rest of the game.

What that exactly means for Cathay's representation in ToW is anyone's guess. After all, it will heavily depend on how close ToW will be to 8th edition while using every edition between 3rd and 8th as a source of inspiration. :)

Though I will agree with you if GW decided ToW will be the 3rd Flagship product to replace LOTR it will be massive if 40K and AoS anything to go by.

Just for reference 40k at the moment has 35 factions and AoS has 24.

edit:

Bretboy84 wrote:

I send suggestion for Gw and White dwarf that before we get army books, we should get Ravening Hordes booklet like in 6th edition. They answered and said that they think about it. Im not first who suggest it.
      It is likely GW will release the equivalent of 40K 8th ed Indexes for ToW.

Advisory Board

Background Team

DE LAB TT

THE SAUCY QUILL INN
    • (not commenting in staff role)

BlackLobster wrote:

If GW release models for Cathay and Kislev, would T9A add equivalent armies to the game or would they just fall under an Empire style?
      It is always complicated/difficult to deal in hypotheticals in any vaguely definitive way, but generally speaking t9a doesn't introduce any factions based on the actions of any single manufacturer, GW or otherwise.

More generally, to my knowledge the possibility of none-homebrew t9a factions that aren't one of the 16 core factions, or a supplement for one of the core factions, is not really gonna be on anyone's to-do list any time soon.
      That's not to say it won't happen, and there were discussions in the past...
      I'm just saying that right now the focus/priority is on the 16 LABs (and their supplements as a lesser priority).

I think anything beyond the LABs and their supplements, whether TOW/GW/Cathay/Kislev related or not, is somewhat speculative and unclear right now.

But of course none of this stops any motivated community members from doing whatever they want with their own homebrews.
      List repository and links HERE
      Basic beginners tactics HERE
      Empire of Dannstahl HERE
    • What @DanT said the Project is currently focused on completing the existing 16 Core Army Books before exploring the development of the 2 final Core Army Books to complete the nine spoked wheel of T9A factions.

What those two will be it is nearly impossible to say at the moment. Tsuandan (T9A equivalent of China) is a possible contender as are a number of other polities and groups mentioned in the T9A background such as Khogi or Sagarika. Though such development is many years in the future.

What T9A will not do is produce additional material based on the work of just one company, whether that are units or armies. :)

Advisory Board

Background Team

DE LAB TT

THE SAUCY QUILL INN
    • @Giladis and @DanT thank you. I'm not interested myself. I was just curious since I have seen quite a few comments on these forums about T9A equivalents of the old Kislev and Nippon theme armies.
      Legion of the Barrow Downs (Vampire Covenants) - 2120 points.

"I see shapes of Men and of horses, and pale banners like shreds of cloud, and spears like winter-thickets on a misty night. The Dead are following."
    • Giladis wrote:

What T9A will not do is produce additional material based on the work of just one company, whether that are units or armies. :)

DanT wrote:

generally speaking t9a doesn't introduce any factions based on the actions of any single manufacturer, GW or otherwise.
      For those that are curious or may have hazy memories of adapting new GW creations, in the very nascence of T9A there was a goal to do just that:

2015 wrote:

1. Rewriting rules for broken parts of the game, keeping the parts that works and changing the parts that do not
      2. Small updates to rules with minor issues
      3. New lores (keep some spells, around 30-40% new spells for each lore, updates to attributes, casting values etc where needed)
      4. New magic items (both common and race specific, again keep some, add some new stuff)
      5. New points costs for very strong/weak units (maybe rules changes in a few cases)
      6. Possibly add new unit entries to match new models released for AoS.
      Thankfully, we've become more independent-minded since :)
    • Hombre de Mundo wrote:

For those that are curious or may have hazy memories of adapting new GW creations, in the very nascence of T9A there was a goal to do just that:
      Yeah before the lovely people from the Legal Team taught us better :D

Advisory Board

Background Team

DE LAB TT

THE SAUCY QUILL INN

• BlackLobster wrote:

If GW release models for Cathay and Kislev, would T9A add equivalent armies to the game or would they just fall under an Empire style?
      There's already a most refined Homebrew book for Tsuandan (complete with EW Patrol!) :whistling:

I hope Grand Cathay's "reveal" will make Chinese-based models more available - not only from GW but also from other manufacturer. Right now Watchful I Studio & Zenitminiature have damn good ranges, as well as various other manufacturers for monsters especially.

Tsuandan Warring States
      Cathay for T9A!
      ----------
      :totems: BH Homebrew :totems:
      Beastly Beasts without PI!
    • Eldan wrote:

I mean, Volskaja and Tsuandan already have more background than some official factions (cough cough dwarves cough). At this rate, they are basically guaranteed to become supplements.

While there are people (internally and just in the community) who want this to happen, "basically guaranteed" is overselling it.

Background Team

• I seriously doubt any of those would even contend for EoS Army Supplements.

Army Supplements are here for the TT to explore parts of the T9A background they were unable to fully or properly cover in the LAB due to the Complexity Budget restraints. This means EoS supplement being anything else than something relating to EoS is highly unlikely. :)

Advisory Board

Background Team

DE LAB TT

THE SAUCY QUILL INN
    • (not commenting as staff)

jirga wrote:

Koghi Empire would get my vote or anything from Taphria to be honest. Core army book for an army from Taphria would surely be something not seen before.
      Rather than another human faction, I would like to see a T9A unique faction both visually and background wise. There is a lot of space left in T9A that has not been assigned to anyone yet.

If looking to introduce Taphria into the main T9A orbit outside UD I would personally explore drawing inspiration from various insect populations such as south African Anthills, Saharan lion ant pits, etc...

On the other hand, if focusing on Oceania why not a fantasy race inspired by Marsupials or Grounded Avians? Plenty of examples for both.

Advisory Board

Background Team

DE LAB TT

THE SAUCY QUILL INN
    • @Giladis Antropomorphic fantasy for representing non-european faction is pretty cliché, also this day with internet is pretty easy to research aboot the foklore of non-european culture, heck "Legendary games" have realise several D&D suplement to make some of this creature to be playable with D&D, you could use this book to make a brand new faction.

Also on other topic, what I'm the most ecxited for with the "canonisation" of Cathay are the artwork that will come, especially from Karl Koponski (is he still working with GW ?).
    • Eldan wrote:

I mean, there's four candidates more or less for Imperial supplements. Tsuandan, Volskaja, Khogi and Destria. Destria barely has any fluff. If the Empire gets two supplements like everyone else, it pretty much has to be at least one of them. Who else is there?

Giladis wrote:

I seriously doubt any of those would even contend for EoS Army Supplements.

Army Supplements are here for the TT to explore parts of the T9A background they were unable to fully or properly cover in the LAB due to the Complexity Budget restraints. This means EoS supplement being anything else than something relating to EoS is highly unlikely. :)

As I said, "basically guaranteed" would be overselling it.

I think Giladis is overselling the converse case, however. The currently released supplements depict different cultures that are not really part of the main book ; Askland and Makhar include non-Dark-Gods-Worshipping members on a background level, cultists are not in fact daemons themselves and the Hobgoblins are subservient to the Infernal Dwarves, not actually members thereof.

Now, firming up a policy of "everything must be something that could have been in the main book on a flavour level" is possible - but policies change over time in response to events and outcomes.

Tsuandan, on a mechanical level, is a pretty good fit for a supplement; one could easily repurpose mostly slim-book EoS units to make a fairly good "this is the humans of a fantasy nation that is much like China was" and then add a few units for spice - making a very Asklanders-style book.

Either way, now is a good time to speak up and be heard. Policies are harder to change the more entrenched they are - so if you dislike the idea of minor factions getting supplements and want supplements to solely focus on things that could be in the main book, or vice versa, there's no time like the present to let that be heard.

Giladis wrote:

(not commenting as staff)

jirga wrote:

Koghi Empire would get my vote or anything from Taphria to be honest. Core army book for an army from Taphria would surely be something not seen before.
      Rather than another human faction, I would like to see a T9A unique faction both visually and background wise. There is a lot of space left in T9A that has not been assigned to anyone yet.

If looking to introduce Taphria into the main T9A orbit outside UD I would personally explore drawing inspiration from various insect populations such as south African Anthills, Saharan lion ant pits, etc...

On the other hand, if focusing on Oceania why not a fantasy race inspired by Marsupials or Grounded Avians? Plenty of examples for both.

Because historical model ranges exist, but not so many kangaroo warriors?

Because even if you want a fantasy species, you could base them on non-European myths and legends rather than basing them on exotic wildlife and deciding the people who live in those regions are entirely beneath the notice of a game that takes the time to go into exacting detail on minor details of European cultures?

Background Team