Mission Statement on new website holds a surprise!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Mission Statement on new website holds a surprise!

Gentlefolks,

I read the mission statememts on the new website, and found the following statement:

Background should play a key role in attracting and sustaining interest. We need to boldly explore new and exciting ideas that are wholly our own, because this will also inspire more immersive and creative internal design, not to mention appeal to hobbyists. We should be fearless in sharing our material with the community, and aim to widely promote our content. This could and should mean we should seek to expand the unique T9A setting to products outside of regular war gaming (RPGs, Novels, Card games etc.)

The last sentence could be really interesting; what do you guys think?
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • Yeah would be great. I would love to create a card game, ihope it will happend. But as long we dont have at least some basics background for all army. Seems difficult. And for a RPG, we even need full background.

So we need patience...

Now i dont know how BG team work actually ? But maybe we could improve organisation to speed things ?
    I think to something like a restructuraiton of the background team.

We could imagine to create 2 team:
    - a background team, where we recruit a lot of member, (anyone interested into background writting). ans this team would be splitted in multiple independant entity/project composed of 2 - 4 members.
    - a wise council, that do not create any background, but just read the final proposition done by BG team, and check if they are not in contradiction with all other proposition already validate by the council.
    Wise Council role should be to get the knowledge of all background validate, but it would not be a decision or creative post. They should not judge the quality of the Background nor the idea, that shoudl be the role of background team to discuss between themself, the council should just check that it dont create contradiction.

Now this structure would work only if the basic of all army are already setup, to avoid that BG team proposition go in all different direction.
    So anyway, its a bit early and actually LAB work monopolize BG team, so i dont think they are able to define the basic for everyhting.

Website Team

Art Team

Graphic designer  cas-p.net

The post was edited 3 times, last by Casp ().

• Casp wrote:

Yeah would be great. I would love to create a card game, ihope it will happend. But as long we dont have at least some basics background for all army. Seems difficult. And for a RPG, we even need full background.
    Mmmm, indeed, games will need some form of background to anchor ittself;

let's say the background is there; would 9th Age be "open" its background up for a company to use? For free?
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • From memory there was stuff on the homebrew section to convert mordheim to the T9A universe and then there's also official stuff like the quick starter game.

I think the mission statement was written as such that the team would have the opportunity to expand into other areas to expand the T9A brand and get more players into the game and setting rather than restricting themselves to one thing. Obviously the main game is currently taking priority but once the rules are stable there's more opportunities available.
    Never argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • Pellegrim wrote:

let's say the background is there; would 9th Age be "open" its background up for a company to use? For free?
    That's an interesting question and not an easy one to respond to as I feel it would depend on what the company would want to do with the background. All hypothetical as the background isn't at this stage yet

I (personally) wouldn't charge companies that wanted to make models to fit the setting, professionally print T9A material (books, etc) or any other T9A stuff for table top gaming (e.g. T9A dice). This is all stuff that T9A would require companies to get permission to use, but I wouldn't charge companies for using these. It would go against what the project is trying to achieve if they did this.

Where it gets sticky is, if the background is interesting enough. There may then be wider interest and you could charge computer gaming companies, etc, for it's use (e.g. % of any profit and protection against losses) which could keep the project ticking over and allow you to further develop the background. The thing is that the more things out there the more people the project will reach and potentially inspire, so it'd be a difficult decision for the project to make.

It also potentially gives the project issues as it ties the project to companies financially where, thus far, the project has been impartial of any company. The project does allow companies to advertise on the forum and use the T9A logo and material but that's not the same as potential financial ties.

It's interesting to see what would happen, but we're not there yet. Cross each bridge as you reach it.
    Never argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • It is to be expected that we'll eventually see T9A make it into RPGs, card games, novels, comics, video games and so on. As long as output and outreach of captivating content (not least artwork to go along with background) is achieved and sustained, the sky is the limit for this communal creative project. The Ninth Age is after all so much more than just a renamed Warhammer clone. It's a mighty volunteer undertaking complete with a linguistics team. There is potential for its background to become the ultimate in historically based classic fantasy.

It's a matter of time, of course, and of volunteers signing up to work. It's basically an unpaid volunteer-driven shadow Games Workshop.

Cheers