Going Forward

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Going Forward

It is quite clear that T9A now has a time table with ToW coming out S O O N ™

What is the plan going forward with T9A to make sure it cements its place in the gaming world? What is the plan going forward to ensure the player base keeps rising and doesn't stagnate? Some of these updates is already causing hackles to be raised in a lot of the communities during this beta, and it provoked me to make this post. A stable tournament rule set indeed, but what is going to be done to make sure those not constantly playing in tournaments are allowed their own space in the battle net?
    I am going to offend you. You are not going to like it. You will survive.

Chaotic Neutral
    youtube.com/channel/UCJ9e5C1f26iuvhOA33rsFJQ

Model Reviews with Twice the Brain Injuries!
  • This year, we've had
    • Lands of the Ninth Age
    • Scenario Booklet
    • New Flux Cards
    • 2 supplement armies
    • Pirates' Peril
    That's all stuff for the non-tournament crowd. And more such stuff is coming.
    Maybe they should be promoted and used more, but I mean, I can't be in your garage trying to convince you to play with them.

Apart from that, we are soon getting the new ID and DE books.

And what else can we do ? If not step-up PR.
    GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ghiznuk ().

• Ghiznuk wrote:

This year, we've had
    • Lands of the Ninth Age
    • Scenario Booklet
    • New Magic Cards
    • 2 supplement armies
    • Pirates' Peril
    That's all stuff for the non-tournament crowd. And more such stuff is coming.
    Maybe they should be promoted and used more, but I mean, I can't be in your garage trying to convince you to play with them.

Apart from that, we are soon getting the new ID and DE books.

And what else can we do ? If not step-up PR.
    I've only heard of the scenario booklet.

Chaotic Neutral

• They're all on the Downloads page, though

The Lands of the Ninth Age had quite a good introduction to it written by LittleJoe in the Ninth Scroll 15, with a nice review of all its different features.
    But, again, there was scant official communication about it.

Makhar had a nice presence in several Ninth Scroll – a full battle report of their beta prior to their release, and 4 pages of dense fluff in the Scroll together with the release.

On the other hand, new Flux Cards seem wereforgotten as soon as they got published – one News and that's it.
    And there was no annoucement prior to their release, meaning there was no building of expectations about their release the way it was done for Makhar, for example.

So, again, and sadly : project does things, but noone cares about advertising them.
    There is just no bloody PR and it's killing us.
  • Ghiznuk wrote:

They're all on the Downloads page, though

The Lands of the Ninth Age had quite a good introduction to it written by LittleJoe in the Ninth Scroll 15, with a nice review of all its different features.
    But, again, there was scant official communication about it.

Makhar had a nice presence in several Ninth Scroll – a full battle report of their beta prior to their release, and 4 pages of dense fluff in the Scroll together with the release.

On the other hand, new Flux Cards seem wereforgotten as soon as they got published – one News and that's it.
    And there was no annoucement prior to their release, meaning there was no building of expectations about their release the way it was done for Makhar, for example.

So, again, and sadly : project does things, but noone cares about advertising them.
    There is just no bloody PR and it's killing us.
    Whats the issue with PR?

Chaotic Neutral

• In general people (such as you, who are one the most active here) are not aware that we released a bunch of « non-tournament » supplements this year for the casual and « cookie-loving » crowd.

It's not really a problem with announcing that those supplements have been released : they were released, it appeared in the news.
    But then, it stayed there.

We need to have something more than that.

For example, the Makhar army was correctly announced by a pre-release Battle report (against the new Daemons, to top it up !) that made the community anticipate on it.

And there was a cool fluff article about it, as well as great cover art.

For the alternative Flux Cards, it could have been interesting to get a specific battle report in the Scroll, too. Or whatever that would make people actually take an interest in trying it home.
    You know, kind of how GW does in their own magazine.

Also, it would have made the last issue of the Scroll less of a shame for its poor redactor.
  • Ghiznuk wrote:

In general people (such as you, who are one the most active here) are not aware that we released a bunch of « non-tournament » supplements this year for the casual and « cookie-loving » crowd.

It's not really a problem with announcing that those supplements have been released : they were released, it appeared in the news.
    But then, it stayed there.

We need to have something more than that.

For example, the Makhar army was correctly announced by a pre-release Battle report (against the new Daemons, to top it up !) that made the community anticipate on it.

And there was a cool fluff article about it, as well as great cover art.

For the alternative Flux Cards, it could have been interesting to get a specific battle report in the Scroll, too. Or whatever that would make people actually take an interest in trying it home.
    You know, kind of how GW does in their own magazine.

Also, it would have made the last issue of the Scroll less of a shame for its poor redactor.
    Does the team even have a plan to remedy this issue? Or is it going to fall onto the shoulders of one of the community? I have a minor youtube channel, but can still parrot [Redacted] out in a verbal form. There is an issue that someone as active as me, as you put it, had no idea this stuff was even released.

Chaotic Neutral

• That is not true.

Lands got mentioned in the Scroll because it happened that LittleJoe decided to write something about it. But it was more an « aside » as part of a Scenery-making tuto.

Scenarios, Flux Cards were not mentioned.

And then it's not only that it should be mentioned, it should be publicized in an engaging way that would make people at least want to try and play it, or discuss it. In short, a « buzz » should be created around it.
    But just « Hey guys, by the way, here's a new supplement, you can download it. In case you wanna try it at home. See you. » is not what makes a new supplement great, remembered and adopted.
  • I think doing proper (or any) siege rules would make a huge impact on the "casual" crowd and T9A's standing in the tabletop world. Always seemed a fan favorite. GW has neglected these for ages and will most likely not start WHtow (whatever it will be) with those. Are there even current RnF games with siege rules? I think I've seen Conquest pictures with a fortress or something, but since that game seems to be one of those weird round bases in movement trays things, I'm not sure it counts.

Btw. I just checked the facebook page, it seems the update frequency has risen to some neat hobby stuff every few days. Great improvement!
    doing the Lorenzo Lupo Workout everyday till Iron Crowns AB is released
  • There is so much hooby stuff material readily available on this forum, it's even easier since most of it is produced in English.
    I have to translate it all, so most of the hobby stuff I publish is translations of the Ninth Scroll, with associated screenshots, to publish the article in the shape of a « photo album ».
    Anyway, our group is very active, people post a lot of hobby already as it is, so most of my job is news, polls and fluff.
  • on the topic of keeping the player base alive and kicking,

i was recently told by a friend that he had to create an account in this forum so he could access the various faction subforums. as a guest, he had access to the general subforums (background, hobby) but not to the "meaty" faction forums. is this true?

because if that's the case, we might be forcing on ourselves an asymmetry in the use of the forum. you only create an account if you are a more "gaming" person than if you are a "hobby" or a "fluff" person. and once you have an account you start posting. and then we end up having big forum discussions on important topics (such as this one), but a huge part of the people who can write in these discussion comes from the ones who had an extra reason to create an account.

the facebook group has plenty of people posting miniatures and receiving attention for that, rather than discussions about tactics or balance (based on the national group, differences will apply, of course). in sum: the forum might be giving us a very skewed vision of the T9A community.
  • ToDD wrote:

I think doing proper (or any) siege rules would make a huge impact on the "casual" crowd and T9A's standing in the tabletop world. Always seemed a fan favorite. GW has neglected these for ages and will most likely not start WHtow (whatever it will be) with those. Are there even current RnF games with siege rules? I think I've seen Conquest pictures with a fortress or something, but since that game seems to be one of those weird round bases in movement trays things, I'm not sure it counts.

Totally agree... so many great castle and building models with 3D printing taking off.

my group is working on seige rules... should start to be able to share things after the holidays when we get a chance to play through some games.
    Keeper of the Zoo
    Images of Ma Stuff
    My Warriors of Ind/Sagarikadesha Painting blog

In Northern CA? Give me a buzz or visit our FB Group: Norcal 9th Age
  • Volunteering to help with outreach can go a long way. Whether or not done under the umbrella of T9A team, or entirely on one's own initiative and through one's own channels: Just do something if you've got a useful idea. Official stamp aside, volunteers are the lifeblood of the project. There are signs that people in the team are overworked. More manpower might be needed to relieve existing volunteers and cover blind spots.

It is correct that army subforums are for registered users only. This is a hindrance, at times.

Mantic's Kings of War forum have a feature for direct upload of images. No idea as to software and costs involved. This has been identified as a critical feature going forward on Chaos Dwarfs Online. David Clarke (Xander), the founder and tech-guru of CDO, has had a burst of hobby activity lately, but admits to posting it all on Facebook rather on his own forum since external imagesharing is such a hassle.

Tjub and I hope to get Xander to restart CDO with the same direct image upload feature that KoW uses, if at all feasible financially and technically (transfering all the many resources by hand from old to new site in a lengthy transition period). It could be healthy in the long term for T9A forums as well, but it is not vital as of now: We currently have critical mass here.

The post was edited 8 times, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().