LAB spoilers Discussion Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

  • So in summery:

    1: It will be out the moment it is done. No waiting around like Games Workshop does.

    2: It is currently not done.

    3: We know the pandemic has people bored out of their skulls, but please understand that asking for it more will not make it come sooner.

    Lord of the Hobby

    The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
  • Does the beta release require that background and art be finished as well? I started playing just before Warriors of the Dark Gods went Gold, so I'm not innately familiar with the LAB process (which as I understand it, is still evolving / changing?).

    I'm curious to what extent background & art hold up release, and if there's specific reasoning as to why they're required (if that is the case) before beta can be put out.

    Not pushing for an earlier release here or saying it's wrong to do it this way, just genuinely curious as to the mindset behind all of it!
  • Lord_Tyranicus wrote:

    Does the beta release require that background and art be finished as well? Yes

    I'm curious to what extent background & art hold up release, and if there's specific reasoning as to why they're required (if that is the case) before beta can be put out. Right now no one thing is holding anything up. Alpha playtesting is still ongoing for example.

    Lord of the Hobby

    The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
  • Tyranno wrote:

    So in summery:

    1: It will be out the moment it is done. No waiting around like Games Workshop does.

    2: It is currently not done.

    3: We know the pandemic has people bored out of their skulls, but please understand that asking for it more will not make it come sooner.

    But what if we say *pweeeeeeeease* and make cute facial expressions?
  • Lord_Tyranicus wrote:

    Does the beta release require that background and art be finished as well? I started playing just before Warriors of the Dark Gods went Gold, so I'm not innately familiar with the LAB process (which as I understand it, is still evolving / changing?).

    I'm curious to what extent background & art hold up release, and if there's specific reasoning as to why they're required (if that is the case) before beta can be put out.

    Not pushing for an earlier release here or saying it's wrong to do it this way, just genuinely curious as to the mindset behind all of it!

    As I stated elsewhere, background, art, layout, the final rules and thus the final prices are all not quite done yet.

    For example, there is one unit which we are discussing who went to alpha in a particular configuration to try and get playtest data because people had concerns about it being OP, concerns which we are acting on now.

    We could, I guess and in theory, release the alpha playtest stuff, but it hasn't yet cleared RT review, so... that's more a "if we were willing to just put out any old nonsense" scenario.

    Background Team

  • Thanks for the explanations @WhammeWhamme I can understand all these points.

    However I struggle to understand why it takes so long to decide whether or not another round of playtesting will be done or not. The first time @Grimbold Blackhammer told me that they were looking if they were doing another round of playtesting or not was the 27 february. That was also the date when I asked to help the playtesting team.

    We are almost one month later and I still received not answer wether
    a. alpha playtesting is getting closed: not new playtester can be Added, the book will be release "soon"
    b. alpha playtesting goes for another round: new playtester welcomed

    So to wrap it up: I can understand the process, I just cannot understand why it takes so long to get an answer to a simple question. In particular when you are willing to help the process & the 9A overall (@'Grimbold Blackhammer' cf. our discussion). So please make things clear this regarding asap

    On a side note: I think the 9A team would be wise to take more into consideration the current context (no turnaments in the comming months due to the pandemic) and therefore take the opportunity to realease for beta playtesting asap in order to get as much feedback as possible and get a very good version of the book when the turnament scene resumes.
    My YouTube channels:
    Mate ces dés! (FR)
    Watch these dices! (ENG)
  • There were a lot of changes to the wdg book after it was released to public. This caused significant amount of stress to the people playing the army and design team.

    I want to see a ID book that won't have major changes to it once it is released to the public. So that I can start to look for models and plan lists with no worries that something is going to change significantly later on.
  • jirga wrote:

    There were a lot of changes to the wdg book after it was released to public. This caused significant amount of stress to the people playing the army and design team.

    I want to see a ID book that won't have major changes to it once it is released to the public. So that I can start to look for models and plan lists with no worries that something is going to change significantly later on.
    Thats why its called beta.

    If you want to be sure, wait untill the book is no longer in beta..
    Painting daemons, ogres, halflings and (halfling) vampire covenants at:
    the-ninth-age.com/community/in…and-half-things/&pageNo=1
  • When you publish the book for sure it will change things, because is impossible to do a perfect job.

    WoDG is one of the best books ever, probably all are agree with that, and this take long time and effort, and multiple changes, and who cares? is stressful? maybe, but now we have it gold, and everyone is happy
  • Guys, remember that the ID book is the first under a new system.
    And this is a volunteer project.

    No-one is sitting on the new ID book, giggling maniacally, and saying "nah, let's not release this yet".
    If it hasn't been released yet, thats because it isn't finished.

    Many of the volunteer's lives will have been turned upside down and be extra stressful right now.
    Just give them some space; I am sure they are aware that people want to see the book, and will get it to us all as soon as possible.
    List repository and links HERE
    Basic beginners tactics HERE
    Empire of Dannstahl HERE
  • TobiasP wrote:

    jirga wrote:

    There were a lot of changes to the wdg book after it was released to public. This caused significant amount of stress to the people playing the army and design team.

    I want to see a ID book that won't have major changes to it once it is released to the public. So that I can start to look for models and plan lists with no worries that something is going to change significantly later on.
    Thats why its called beta.

    If you want to be sure, wait untill the book is no longer in beta..
    Solid Advice. If constant rule changes is bothersome then just opt out of playing beta.

    And there are lots of reasons to not want to play beta. So it's perfectly fine.
  • Math-CD wrote:

    Thanks for the explanations @WhammeWhamme I can understand all these points.

    However I struggle to understand why it takes so long to decide whether or not another round of playtesting will be done or not. The first time @Grimbold Blackhammer told me that they were looking if they were doing another round of playtesting or not was the 27 february. That was also the date when I asked to help the playtesting team.

    We are almost one month later and I still received not answer wether
    a. alpha playtesting is getting closed: not new playtester can be Added, the book will be release "soon"
    b. alpha playtesting goes for another round: new playtester welcomed

    So to wrap it up: I can understand the process, I just cannot understand why it takes so long to get an answer to a simple question. In particular when you are willing to help the process & the 9A overall (@'Grimbold Blackhammer' cf. our discussion). So please make things clear this regarding asap

    On a side note: I think the 9A team would be wise to take more into consideration the current context (no turnaments in the comming months due to the pandemic) and therefore take the opportunity to realease for beta playtesting asap in order to get as much feedback as possible and get a very good version of the book when the turnament scene resumes.

    AIUI, there's an extra round because a fair few things were changed after the RT review and because (among other things) layout won't be ready anyway.

    I think there may also have been some issues with the playtesting team but I don't remember the details (or even for sure if something happened).


    DanT wrote:

    Guys, remember that the ID book is the first under a new system.
    And this is a volunteer project.

    No-one is sitting on the new ID book, giggling maniacally, and saying "nah, let's not release this yet".
    If it hasn't been released yet, thats because it isn't finished.

    Many of the volunteer's lives will have been turned upside down and be extra stressful right now.
    Just give them some space; I am sure they are aware that people want to see the book, and will get it to us all as soon as possible.

    Mmmm. COVID 19 has caused some notable delays in Art and bigger ones in Layout. (And heck, I've had to literally double the amount of the book that gets written by me because of it too...).

    It's harder to say how much trouble it's caused on rules stuff (bigger team) but it seems likely it hasn't been irrelevant there either.

    Did I mention Layout? Layout's a problem, because it has the most specialized and technical skill set required, so the people doing it are the least replaceable, which is a problem when they need to be replaced...

    Background Team

  • Happy to finally get a proper answer. @WhammeWhamme Can I join the playtesting team ?

    As I have told grimbold a month ago I would be really happy to help and this would help me to understand the book asap in order to be ready to produce YouTube content on my channel for the release day (AB review & BR)
    My YouTube channels:
    Mate ces dés! (FR)
    Watch these dices! (ENG)

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Math-CD ().

  • WhammeWhamme wrote:

    Math-CD wrote:

    Thanks for the explanations @WhammeWhamme I can understand all these points.

    However I struggle to understand why it takes so long to decide whether or not another round of playtesting will be done or not. The first time @Grimbold Blackhammer told me that they were looking if they were doing another round of playtesting or not was the 27 february. That was also the date when I asked to help the playtesting team.

    We are almost one month later and I still received not answer wether
    a. alpha playtesting is getting closed: not new playtester can be Added, the book will be release "soon"
    b. alpha playtesting goes for another round: new playtester welcomed

    So to wrap it up: I can understand the process, I just cannot understand why it takes so long to get an answer to a simple question. In particular when you are willing to help the process & the 9A overall (@'Grimbold Blackhammer' cf. our discussion). So please make things clear this regarding asap

    On a side note: I think the 9A team would be wise to take more into consideration the current context (no turnaments in the comming months due to the pandemic) and therefore take the opportunity to realease for beta playtesting asap in order to get as much feedback as possible and get a very good version of the book when the turnament scene resumes.
    AIUI, there's an extra round because a fair few things were changed after the RT review and because (among other things) layout won't be ready anyway.

    I think there may also have been some issues with the playtesting team but I don't remember the details (or even for sure if something happened).


    DanT wrote:

    Guys, remember that the ID book is the first under a new system.
    And this is a volunteer project.

    No-one is sitting on the new ID book, giggling maniacally, and saying "nah, let's not release this yet".
    If it hasn't been released yet, thats because it isn't finished.

    Many of the volunteer's lives will have been turned upside down and be extra stressful right now.
    Just give them some space; I am sure they are aware that people want to see the book, and will get it to us all as soon as possible.
    Mmmm. COVID 19 has caused some notable delays in Art and bigger ones in Layout. (And heck, I've had to literally double the amount of the book that gets written by me because of it too...).

    It's harder to say how much trouble it's caused on rules stuff (bigger team) but it seems likely it hasn't been irrelevant there either.

    Did I mention Layout? Layout's a problem, because it has the most specialized and technical skill set required, so the people doing it are the least replaceable, which is a problem when they need to be replaced...
    wich program are u using for the layout? maybe someone can help (or learn if needed)