The Warriors of the Dark Gods Paradox

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• I'm imagining different generations or cliques of Gods. One might think of the Titans overthrowing the Primordial Gods, and in turn being overthrown by the Olympian Gods who were nearly overthrown by the Giants. Or the various Wars between the Aesir and Vanir and Jotuns. Of a Golden Age followed by a Silver Age, of Bronze, and Iron, and Clay.

Holocene - The Ninth Age - Began 12 Thousand years ago. The Chaos Pantheon - Terminate the Cycle.
      Pleistocene - The Eighth Age - Began about 2.5 Million Years Ago.
      Pliocene - The Seventh Age - Began about 5 Million Years Ago.
      Miocene - The Sixth Age - Began about 25 Million Years Ago.
      Oligocene - The Fifth Age - Began About 35 Million Years Ago.
      Eocene - The Fourth Age - Began about 55 Million Years Ago.
      Paleocene - The Third Age - Began about 65 Million Years Ago.
      Late Cretaceous - The Second Age - Began About 100 Million Years Ago.
      Early Cretaceous - The First Age - Began about 150 Million years ago. (The Lizard Pantheon - Originate the Cycle.)
    • TimW wrote:

Isnt the lable Dark Gods just the way the civilised world refer to that specific pantheon? I see it roughly comparable to the historical usage of the term heathen.

"Say what you will of us, call us heathens because we deny your weak pretender-god. Call us savages because we strike at you, but know this -- it is we who are closest to the Ruinous Powers. We, most favoured of the gods, shall burn your lands, revel in your suffering, and destroy you. Despair! For all that remains for you is the taste of northern steel and the end of your world. Such is the will of the Gods."

—Hallbjörn, Norse Marauder

In general worshipers of Chaos know perfectly well how evil their gods are but they doesn't care about that : you need power to survive in the North, not ethic.
      " Des chercheurs qui cherchent, on en trouve. Des chercheurs qui trouvent, on en cherche " Charles de Gaulle
      " Si l'on bâtissait la maison du bonheur, la plus grande pièce en serait la salle d'attente " Jules Renard
      " Plus j'aime l'humanité en général, moins j'aime les gens en particulier " Fedor Dostoïevski
      " Only in the darkness can you see the stars " Martin Luther King Jr
    • Drakkar du Chaos wrote:

TimW wrote:

Isnt the lable Dark Gods just the way the civilised world refer to that specific pantheon? I see it roughly comparable to the historical usage of the term heathen.
      "Say what you will of us, call us heathens because we deny your weak pretender-god. Call us savages because we strike at you, but know this -- it is we who are closest to the Ruinous Powers. We, most favoured of the gods, shall burn your lands, revel in your suffering, and destroy you. Despair! For all that remains for you is the taste of northern steel and the end of your world. Such is the will of the Gods."

—Hallbjörn, Norse Marauder

In general worshipers of Chaos know perfectly well how evil their gods are but they doesn't care about that : you need power to survive in the North, not ethic.
      I don't really see how that quote supports the notion that the worshippers of Chaos see their gods as evil. It reads to me like any other religious propaganda against a society with a different belief system. Something similar could've just aswell been said by Arminius, one of the Maccabees or any other historical figure who lead a violent uprising agains or an attack on a foreign society.
    • Just because we see their acts as gruesome, abnormal and utterly evil, doesn't mean they agree.

Heck, there are even dreadful examples is this in the real world.

Read, if you dare, ISIS's glossy Dabiq. They openly advocate slavery, celebrate murder, preach the downfall of civilization and pray for the apocalyse. It is one big manifest for everything humanity loathes. Yet for them it is not only normal, it is pious.

One person's hell is another's paradise.
    • Kpl.blutch wrote:

quantumcollider wrote:

preach the downfall of civilization and pray for the apocalyse
      Chriístian evangelism ?
      Christoffer

I would say we more wait for it, than pray for it, but basically yes. Don't really do much preaching of the downfall of civilization though. We got some people who say that the world is going to the dogs, but that's alright. I'm not terribly inclined to disagree with them, to be honest. However, that's digressing a fair bit from the topic at hand. So...

The important thing, about all this is that the faction doesn't stop being the bad guys. Being a spiritual successor to Chaos does give the faction certain obligations. One of which is to be the 'bad guys'... The other is to be a bunch of nutters.

Now you can say the faction doesn't see themselves as bad, which is fair enough. You can even expand on whatever logic they have that rationalizes their strange and abominable practices. That's all weird (potentially) good philosophical fun, provided it's well written. Just so long as they remain the bad guys, though. Such a thing shouldn't change, due to tradition.

One thing I'm interested in is names... If there are a specifically named few dark gods or if it's now just a hodgepodge of many different mostly unnamed gods, each shoved under a the four different categories of Lust/Blood/Change/Sickness...

Skeleton

• Taki wrote:

Retep wrote:

Taki wrote:

Retep wrote:

Taki wrote:

Retep wrote:

Col. Tartleton wrote:

---
      Again, why the pointless sexism? Why not give a son to the fever?
      It doesnt matter who you use, son or daughter, it's our preference, he was in point of fact just cut and pasting from Achaean history
      So why the preference for sexism? Why use it at all?
      perhaps you didn't understand what I said there, he just described everything there the same way that it happened in history, he wasn't making a judgement or asking us to do it a particular way, it's like saying catholics have nuns but not priestesses, he's not making a value call on that, he is making a statement of historical fact and tying it with a mythology from our games to make it make relative sense. Not everything is an issue of social justice, especially things which are dead, like history. There is no changing that women were used as oracles by the ancient achaeans, nor is there any way to change the mutilation of young boys that was done for choirs in some places. It is not sexist in either case because it is a statement of what happened not what should happen. It is the historical basis for what could be done next in our fluff, not the final example. In our version it might have to be the eldest son, or the youngest child, or people with red hair, that doesn't matter and we can choose what we want, but history cannot be, history is. Get over it, and stay on topic, or suggest alternatives, because all your statement does is detract from the discussion.You could instead have said, "hey, instead of it being gender, what if they like to sacrifice non humans, or perhaps they base the oracles on this other primative tradition which ingests hallucinogens."
      Did you even read the message I quoted? "One could easily imagine an oracle figure, an ascetic virginal woman serving as center of the cult. A male priesthood dedicated to interpreting her horrific visions, forever wracked in torment by the fever that is consuming her. Oneoracle rapidly dies and another takes her place. A constant stream of young women to be sacrificed to Pestilence. Not because Pestilence asks for death, he certainly does not, but to maintain a communion between this world and the next. At the cult center this sort of practice could be sustained indefinitely, each girl may only last a week (perhaps seven days for an old world connection) but there is no difficulty losing fifty odd girls a year to illness if you have the population for it."
      Nothing historical there, buddy. Unless you consider imagination history? Also "get over it"? Seriously? I point out the fact that something is sexist and thus something that we might want to avoid (there's my alternative, btw. quite hard to miss) and the best you can come up with is "get over it"? Wow.
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle
      Oracles in Achaea, especially the most famous one in Delphi, were female.
      So? Last time I checked, none of them worshipped the Dark Gods of the Ninth Age setting. ;)
    • I sure hope that Pestilence will be refered to as Grandma' Pestilence in the lore. The doting and everloving grandmother is just too good of a stereotype to not include and it fits the deity to a T! After all, Grandma' is always there for her grandchildren.

The post was edited 2 times, last by TimW ().

• Guys keep the discussion civil and impersonal ;)

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

Team Croatia ETC 2019 Captain ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HEROES AND VILLEINS OF THE 9TH AGE
    • In the Farseer trilogy the Outislanders pray to the god of the sea to bring storms. Only hardship builds strength. Perhaps WDG could have a similar mentality?

I don't think WDG need to be 'evil.' In T9A magic and gods are undeniably real. WDG have embraced that reality whole-heartedly while EoS, KoE perhaps have not. Or perhaps they just approach that reality differently, resisting or looking-for-favour-from different gods.

On ethics: ethics are a natural extension of cooperation, a naturally evolving phenomenon that gives a competitive advantage. It is very common in nature. The battle often does not go to the strong but the one with the most (or strongest) friends. WDG society needs ethics because it needs cooperation because it values victories.
    • Greetings everyone, new member here. Reading about 9th Age project get me really excited about the idea of playing again with a fantasy wargame...something several other fan-made projects or companies weren't able to do.

Now, excuse me for the brief intro and back on topic about the WoDG and their Gods: in this days probably I'm delving way too deep in the Second Apocalypse books by R.S. Bakker...but since we're brainstorming, what you think about this:

“Sit down, my children, and pay attention. For now I will tell you of an ancient story. There was a time, long time ago, when the mountains were still sharp and the sky still young; a time when our people roamed those lands with little more than an animal mind. A time when the Sons of the Gods walked amongst us; they were tall and beautiful, strong of limb and quick with their minds. Their great cities gleamed in our northern plains, roads as straight as an arrow parted the endless dark forests at the edge of the Easter Mountains. If you venture north enough you’ll see the images they carved with great skill, sometimes whole cliff-sides covered by their beautiful, tiny images.

They ruled over our people with strong and just hand, and for countless centuries we were happy to bow our heads and bend the knees...but alas, we were like children then: and children grow, sooner or later. When our forefathers hearths saw the truth of their situation, our world was shaken: what before was considered a just rule, suddenly became tyranny. The strong, paternal hand was revealed to be a slaver's whip. And what our ancient fathers did then, my children? Yes, yes. Of course. We were many, they were few: our fathers raised their fists against them…they burned their cities, smashed their halls, broke their crowns. They hunted them to oblivion.

Pay attention: it was not jealousy, nor corruption or betrayal. It was only freedom: they had it, our ancient fathers not. And what you do when you want something? Ah, yes. Yes, very good Yusalka…you take it, you’re right, and pay in blood”

(Koloksai, Remembrancer of the Saka tribe)

This idea was inspired by some of the users that suggested the armour should be some kind of heirloom of past glories.
      Let’s imagine several human(-ish) kingdoms in the bleak north, several millennia ago. It was not a desolate country, then: thriving cities dotted the plains, roads crossed the lands, wealth was amassed by trade and war. Tall, beautiful people ruled those kingdoms, resting (sometimes literally) on the shoulders and the backs of their slaves. Thousands of slaves, actually, entire tribes and nations of slaves…that, one fateful day, rebelled. Fast forward a few decades: the kingdoms are in ruin, the delicate infrastructure of roads and irrigation destroyed forever, the knowledge of the human(-ish) overlords lost with their extinction. Only the victorious slaves remain, eking their lives in a ruined world that becomes more harsh and brutal year after year. Fast forward a millennia, everything became almost a myth. Some of the descendants of the slaves became nomad tribes, some founded sedentary civilizations but the endless north is not as hospitable as before, and their lives are short and difficult.

The ancient ruins of the cities and fortress of the human(-ish) overlords that were destroyed by their forefathers are avoided: an healthy mix of superstition, rumours of vengeful ghosts and cannibal creatures scare away almost everyone. Those few that brave those bleak ruins (and survive) usually return with incredible prizes in ancient weapons and strange armours.

A good tie-in for the religion of modern northerners and a decent reason for their ancient rebellion could be this: the human(-ish) overlords of yore prayed to dark, cruel Gods. One of the reasons of the rebellion was the incompatibility between some of the religions of certain slave tribes and the slaver-kings dark and cruel Pantheon…but after the end of that ancient war, when the north became more cold and inhospitable year after year some of the ex-slave tribes turned to the religion of their masters, out of desperation. It worked for them, after all. Slowly, this corruption (or revelation, it depends on what side you ask) worked its way in the hearths and minds of almost all the northern tribes and nations. Very few resisted, and fled south…those intermingled with the southern tribes that were never under the yoke of the northern slaver-kings and became the remote ancestors of the southern realms that in the 9th age fight against the northern marauders.

TLDR: in ancient times several slaver-kings built nations on the back of countless tribes of slaves who, after some centuries, rebelled for religious and social reasons. The slaver-kings nations were destroyed and with them perished the know-how that tamed the north and made it hospitable. No more roads, cities or irrigation...only the surviving slave tribes that tried to survive in a desolate world. Some of them became nomads (classical fantasy mongol stereotype), others became stantial/sedentary (classical fantasy viking stereotype) and out of desperation turned to the cruel religion of their long dead overlords. The few tribes that refused to pray to the Dark Gods fled south, into the lands of the people who never suffered the yoke of the slaver-kings

The post was edited 2 times, last by LostMartian: Added TLDR ().

• Just some more or less random thoughts and ideas :D

First some questions! How Dark Gods (and daemons) have access to our world? Are they beings from different realm?
      Let's say that on north and south lands (really far, far north and south) there are connection between worlds - from time to time there happens unexpected events. Thin veil between worlds tears for short time creating unstable gates which leaks daemonic magic (and less often something bigger). That way we could go to another point. To chaos armour. That leakage of daemonic magic affects close area - simply corrupts it and mutations start. Rocks are burning and melting, trees turn to rock (sometimes to bone or even to metal) and living creatures become thing that are connection between those two worlds.

With chaos armour there are few ideas. Just post here few:
      - people create those armours using materials from corrupted areas; but why armours connect with owners? I would say that bodies tries to absorb magic from metal and as side effect armour becomes part or warrior
      - maybe there are daemonic smiths? either in daemonic realm or in human realm (affected, inspired and powered by Dark Gods), armours are created with marks and by equipping it you create timeless pact
      - how Dark Gods affect champions? how they give Gifts? that chaos armour is most possible medium/connector as it has part of Dark Gods (their magic)

And last thing - what could be goal of Dark Gods? Maybe conquer of another world. Who knows how many worlds was already dominated by daemons! Reason to use humans is simple. There is one problem with creating stable gates - some kind of artifacts created by ancient mages. Small number of daemons that sneak into world is not sufficient to defeat armies that protect those artifacts. Also why these unstable gates appears and north and south? Because artifacts are hidden nearby equator.

I hope that even small part of my ideas could be helpful.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Armywide Signature Spells - Check! Maybe you could add something more? Success! We got Hereditary Spells!
    • The Warriors of Chaos are tribes of humans whose ancestors migrated into the Hollow Earth, born under the cool light of the black star. Said heathens periodically pour forth from the polar openings.

It's too convenient to ignore. :D

Imperial Scholars hold this to be impossible, claiming the earth is solid and that such claims are as absurd as the intelligent rat men who are said to inhabit passages within the inner earth. Absolute rubbish. That said, the Dwarfs have reported strange irregularities in their deepest delving, their sense of up and down seems to become convoluted. However they blame this on the pressures and gases, they couldn't possibly be walking on the ceilings of vast caverns, just spent too much time underground is all.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Col. Tartleton ().

• Reading this, there are a lot of very good suggestions. Heres one of my own, which I think resonates well with a couple of things already mentoned:

What is now known as the "Lands of Chaos" (or really any term that one sees fit) has once been a harsh, yet prosperous region, rich in crops, game, wood and, especially, ore. The inhabitants of that kingdom were a proud people of hard-working resilient men and women (let's call them proto-WDG for now, just for simplicity's sake). And they had one very special ability that distinguished them from others: their smiths somehow (maybe even not fully understood by these people themselves) were able to imbue the armour and weapons they crafted with an imprint of the determination and passion with which they were forged. This spiritual imprint made these products superior to regular armor crafted by any somewhat gifted smith in other realms [much like Valyrian Steel in "A song of Ice and Fire", but no spells woven into it; just a sort of "Trace of the love for the art"].

Since these lands where so rich in resources, neighbouring countries often tried to invade them and pillage as much as they could, maybe even conquer the whole land. And of course, they wanted the secret of crafting the superiour armour and weapons. So the people that are now WDG where constantly threatened by the envy and greed of their neighbours, making them wary and creating a deep sense of anger and frustration, for they where never left in peace. This deep frustration of course altered their approach to forging and the newly forged armour and weapons became more and more powerful, yet dark things, as the imprints of their creators' feelings towards them warped the final product.

With the skirmishes and sometimes larger battles at the borders becoming more savage, the proto-WDG came to realize that still other people viewed their lands and abilities as superior and thus worth conquering. So they developed a fundamental self-understanding of superiority and "pride". This, too, manifested in the imprint on their crafting. And in the course of generations the weaponry, forged in anger and boundless self-esteem, enhanced these feelings in the bearers of such arms. The very first army of Dark Warriors was created and, in an attempt to "teach the greedy neighbours a lesson", launched an assault. With a couple of big wings, the concept of "imprinting your inner feelings on the weapons you craft" spiraled down very quickly, warping the minds of these soldiers into overly proud, furious warriors. After the war was done and the proto-WDGs heavily damaged the neighbouring society, one thought arose in the armies leaders: With that they had accomplished so far, why shouldn't THEY rule their homelands? Why should some highborn Lordlings decide their fate if it was THEM who fought and bled in the war, THEM who crushed the enemy. So they turned their bloddlusty eyes home and set off in a crusade to toplle their own society and rule their own kingdom. The resulting civil war left the Realm devastated, society destroyed and countless heroes of the Great War ruling small territories and Landlords and tyrants, always hungering for more power. The forging of armour became rarer, because a lot of good smiths had been slain, captured or simply allied themselves with particular Warlords. But each crafted item was more and more imbued with a dark hunger, ever further warping its bearer. And of course these very powerful and somewhat scarce pieces of equipment where jealously guarded and only given to the strongest and most trustworthy abnnermen. And while these Warlords continued their rivalry the smallfolk had to make a living of what was left. With the once glorious society crushed to pieces, they built up a tribal society, seeking the protection of their respective landlord or bulking up to seek safety in numbers.

Now, this of course doesn't explain a bit about the Dark Gods, but I think it gives the mortal Chaos-Legions a somewhat decent hierarchy and society. I am still trying to figure out how that might fit into my proposal for the Daemons-fluff. Maybe you guys can help there? Anyway, I'm really looking forward to some comments on this.
      "There is no escape. No hope. Only hunger and pain." - Marlow
    • Monkey wrote:

[...]
      I like what you are writing. It makes for a good origin story that's firmly rooted in grey morality which I'm a huge fan of.

One critique I might have is that a harsh landscape is usually not one abundent in (attainable) resources. To have both seems like having your cake and eating it.

What I would include in your take would be a strong merchant quality combined with an yearning for adventure to the proto-WDG. What would change then would be that they would capitalise on their home regions abundance in both trade goods and hardship by going abroad as merchants and mercenaries. From these venues they would then take home the knowledge (and wealth) of the "known world" and reshape their once barborous society into a high culture of great international prestige throughout the ages. As a result of this new, proper states start to emerge in the lands of Chaos who one after another converge into a large federal proto-WDG empire, that dwarves the might of the neigboring states. The Proto-WDGs changed thus in the eyes of other states from a quaint and useful people to an arrogant and dangerous society which no longer only exported trade goods but also cultural values and societal norms while also being a grave threat to the stability of the region and continued power of the older states. What followed was a century or two of proto-wdg hegemonic power aswell as a fair bit of warfare and proto-wdg territorial expansion in the region. However, during this period the rule of the proto-wdgs became more and more despotic and their culture increasingly militarised. Many chafed under the yoke of the proto-wdgs, including parts of the proto-wdg themselves. Revolutions thus followed which drained the power and authority of the empire as it tore itself apart from within.

Finally the empire was weakened enough for a great alliance to emerge from the neighboring states and former vassals who united under one banner for a common goal - the destruction of the proto-wdg empire and the dismantling of the proto-wdg's power. Never again would they have to bow down to the barbarians. With their agenda clear the states raised their banners and invaded the empire from multiple fronts, annihilating everything in their path, leaving no stone unturned. At the end this proved the death-blow of the empire. To assure that it wouldn't rise anew the invaders salted the earth, burned the forests and destroyed all infrastructure in the hearthland of the Land of Chaos. All of the glorious cities were sacked into oblivion and everything of wealth was carted away. Leaving the lands of the proto-WDG's in abject desolation the invaders returned home, content that their work was done and that they have restored the proper way of the world. The few areas in the Land of Chaos that were relatively spared by the invaders soon turned on eachother as warlords competed amongst eachother for the rotten carcass of the old empire. The old teachings, first amongst them that of the forge, was slowly forgotten or abandoned as their was no one left able to teach it nor was there any way to turn the theory into practice left to them. The armours and weapons of the old empire became things of great wonder which in turn only further fueled the hatred the (now not proto-)wdg felt towards their neigbors. Having no where left to turn the WDG now fully and whole-heartedly embraced the true way of the gods. For only by proving themselves to them would they gain the power necessary to inflict the righteous punishment their neighbors deserves. An eye for an eye. Their world should burn just like they burned our world. From the ashes shall the new Empire arise!

The post was edited 2 times, last by TimW ().

• @TimW I like that. It adds an interesting layer. I have come up with a way to include my own proposal for the Daemon-Fluff into it...let's see how this one goes:

Under your point of increasing militarization of the now-mighty proto-WDG culture one could easily fit in the other aspects of Chaos. Each Lord had his own army and protected his smiths fiercely, for the weapons and armour they crafted became the very backbone of power. Whoever had the strongest military force was likely to be the most powerful. Unknowingly, they had reverted to their tribal barbaric origins, only with a layer of paint to disguise it as "civilization". But where one mighty leader was striving to gain dominion over his neighbors out of a sense of supremacy, another was obsessed by the idea of shaping his own fate and remodelling all the world according to his vision. Yet another was determined to always ush the envelope, to explore his limitations and the sensations it might bring him. And many of them where fueled by the fear of death, filled with terror of the idea that all they had accomplished in life would vanish when they faced inevitable death. These fears and longings shaped their character and were of course also imprinted on the arsenal their smiths created. This imprint cycled back and forth between item and wielder, amplifying its abstract nature and the influence on the warrior. This, however, only widened the gap between different figures of power in the proto-WDG-empire, since specific people of power became more and more obsessed with a specific "aspect" or set of fears, longings and hopes. This "schism" in the proto-WDG society ultimately caused it to fall apart from within, followed by your tale of the invasion.

As for the DL-fluff part, bear with me:

I wrote that Daemons might be the expression of the arcane forces that govern the universe to regain and maintain a pure state of balance and homogeneity. (See the link I put in my previous post). It would get rid of the idae of "Gods of Chaos" in favor of "Cosmic Forces" that give rise to Daemons in many many ways, but always as a means to restore homogeneity (and I really like the apparent paradox between "Homogeneity" and "Chaos") Daemons of Wrath could manifest as the Harbinger of an uprising, the "sword incarnate" of an oppressed demographic against its Tyrant. In this function, they would level the field and re-balance the power of many. On a different occasion, they could manifest as the scourge of a bloodthirsty force of warriors that could not be stopped, to give pause to their destructive path. "The universe itself takes care of it", if you will. But Daemons are only one way these fundamental forces of the universe try to restore balance.

The link between the Daemons and the Dark Warriors would then be easy to see:

The Dark Warriors looked upon their land and found it utterly destroyed, barren and desolate. All their dreams had been shattered, all their dreads become reality: They were doomed, none of their deeds would last, they wouldn't conquer land, nor shape the world, nor would any of their names be mentioned in songs. They had failed. This however did not crush their will to live, for they had always been stubborn and determined. On the contrary, the situation only fueled their anger, desperation and determination. In some of the leaders, this desperation became so overwhelmingly powerful that the connection with the imprinted armour started to radiate off these figures, resonating with like-minded warriors and forming new armies. The only way they new of dealing with their situation was violence. And so they marched, against the only foe left to them: their own people. But this also made these bands of warriors so immensely powerful that the cosmic forces intervened. Their longings became painful and terrifying, yet they were unable to stop. Their fears weighed heavy on them, terrorizing their sleep and wake, yet they had to move on. Their hunger for domination turned them into raging berserks, yet they didn't care. Their ambition to shape their destiny became utterly futile, yet they were unable to give up.

I especially like that, because it widens the idea of the "Dark Gods". Sure, some of them worship the forces that drive them forward as gods of great power, but maybe they really aren't. Maybe these people were just unfortunate enough to posess a specific talent that led to a level of power unsustainable for a universe striving for harmony and balance. Getting rid of the Dark Gods as sort of fixed entities was the nicest part of creating this little story.

Again, thanks a lot for your input. And please comment on this as well if you like, I am looking forward to it.
    • I like what you write once again! I've always been a fan of the supernatural as a response/reaction to the natural world. Having the god's be an impersonal force is great as it allows the turning of the religion of the dark gods into a multi-leveled mystery religion where the general populace believes one thing while the initiated know that the truth is really another while the higher priesthood and the truly touched by the divine knows the truth behind the initiateds' so called truth.

The heavenly strive towards balance would also make for a quite suitable cop out for why the world is basically kept in status quo.

Furthermore I really dig the notion of a full-scaled "End-of-Times"-WDG invasion of the civilised world being stopped by legions of daemons who in the stories of the defended peoples soon turn into angels and give rise to new religions.
    • TimW wrote:

Furthermore I really dig the notion of a full-scaled "End-of-Times"-WDG invasion of the civilised world being stopped by legions of daemons who in the stories of the defended peoples soon turn into angels and give rise to new religions.
      Oh my goodness, YES! This is awesome, haven't thought about this in the least. AAAAND with this being "The NINTH Age", who knows which threats where at the brink of destroying civilization in the other ages, only to be stopped by the manifestations of cosmic will of their time, effectively ending one age so that another could rise from its ashes with its own mythology based on what little mortals know of the mechanisms of creation. This is AWESOME!