Gaming/Video Editing Laptop Purchase

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Gaming/Video Editing Laptop Purchase

Hi guys, hope you are all well and having a great start to 2020!

As some of you may know, I am a co-host of Proxy Table Gaming YouTube channel, where we post lots of content regarding T9A (Batreps, list discussions, fluffly campaigns, livestreams, etc.) and have been doing so for nearly 2 years now. The response from you guys has been great and we have nearly hit 500 subscribers which is fnatastic and already more than we had honestly hoped we'd get.

I feel like we do a decent job of covering content, but want to increase the quality of our videos (visual, audio, etc.) to make the experience even better for the viewer and maybe encourage a few more people to interact with us and subscribe. Currently, we are just using @PTG - Hyper-Gs laptop which he got a few years ago but is still a pretty decent gaming laptop with quite high specs. I however, have a laptop that is from the early 2000s and is NOT for gaming or really video/picture editing. I would like to correct this but between us we have very little knowledge of what I would need and am conscious I do not want to spend a lot of money on a computer that may become redundant in a years time, or worse get conned into over paying for a laptop that does not fulfill the required needs.

So, i'm reaching out to you guys to see if there is any advice and specific specifications that i should be looking out for when going to buy a laptop. Also, if there is anywhere in particular I should be going to or anyone I should speak to about helping me out.

Here is what I am looking for:
    • A gaming laptop worth approx. £600-£800 (I have also been told to buy about £50 worth of RAM on top of this which i am happy to do as well - not that I really know what that means - yes i am that naive!)
    • Ability to play the new Total Warhammer 3 later on this year (and equivalent games). I would like the laptop to be able to 'easily' handle the game ideally.
    • Have a good webcam camera and audio ability for this price range
    • Have the ability to 'handle' video/picture editing software (suggestions for this software would also be appreciated - am currently looking at OBS for videos and GIMP for pictures as they are cheap/free options that do a good job at semi-professional quality in my opinion. Although I have no direct experience with it admittedly)
    • Be able to stream and connect to other devices (TV, PS4, etc.) easily and capably

Apologies if these seem quite obvious and would automatically come with some of these capabilities - I have little to no knowledge of anything tech-y so please assume you are talking to a child who has just seen the internet for the first time lol

I will tag a few people below that could maybe help or possibly steer me in the right direction, but please if you see this, feel free to tag people you know that can help me in this! Also, if you have any advice then feel free to leave a comment below.

Cheers guys, appreciate the help! Thanks in advance! :D

@piteglio @SkavenInAZ @Mad 'At @GenePhelps @Pellegrim @Kuyp @StockFish85 @Zamo @SadlerCPII @Warboss Tooth @Eternal Flitter
    Find me now on Twitter @luckysixesPTG
    Visit our Youtube channel and latest project for book reviews, video battle reports and much much more!

Proxy Table Gaming Youtube Channel
    The Many Adventures of Lucky-Sixes
    THE QUICK-STARTER WORLD CUP

The post was edited 2 times, last by PTG-Lucky-Sixes ().

• I'm technologically useless so I cant help at all, beyond suggesting that you sack off the laptop idea and spend your £600-800 on toy soldiers instead!
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2020
  • My laptop is very slow and old, I just bought in an emergency on the market when my previous laptop died. Which I had also bought in a similar emergency.

I have no clue about any technical aspect of any computer, and am not even aware that there will be a WHTW3 :)
    GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • Fair enough guys! Thanks for replying anyhow! If you know of anyone else though that would be much appreciated to pass em my way...
    Visit our Youtube channel and latest project for book reviews, video battle reports and much much more!

• great news - PTG already has great content, if you also bump the production value it'll be a true delight! : )

can i be that guy and ask the annoying question... does it have to be a laptop? a desktop computer would give you a lot more power and reliability for a much lower price!
  • haha in a word yes! I completely see the pros of a desktop but I feel portability is a must for our current situation and the "plans" we have moving forward. It give me the flexibility I need with my current status...

• piteglio wrote:

great news - PTG already has great content, if you also bump the production value it'll be a true delight! : )

can i be that guy and ask the annoying question... does it have to be a laptop? a desktop computer would give you a lot more power and reliability for a much lower price!
    He's totally right, a shame that you can't get a desktop.

I'll ask around and let you know what i find.
  • Chack wrote:

piteglio wrote:

great news - PTG already has great content, if you also bump the production value it'll be a true delight! : )

Amazing thanks bud!

• chack! layout team! congrats! this is beautiful! ok, sorry for off topic.

dont know laptops well enough but i understand that portability can be a requirement. luckily with chack you're in good knowledgeable hands. i know that @Little Joe does 3D modelling from his laptop so he might have some useful suggestions too (TLDR for LJ: luckysixes is looking for a laptop with good graphics for gaming and videoediting).
  • piteglio wrote:

chack! layout team! congrats! this is beautiful! ok, sorry for off topic.
    Thanks, right now i'm just in trial since i have my hands full with last university exam, but after that i'll have to start with some translating to get to know the books structure :D

Anyway PTG-Lucky-Sixes here you go : amazon.com/dp/B07S37JY44/ref=a…57362bff74&language=en_US

You can upgrade it to 16 Gb ram and it pretty much respect all your requirements (for connecting to other devices you'll need the proper cables, but those are rather cheap)

Edit : blast, i didn't notice that the shipping price to uk was so hig, i'll search for something cheaper, or you can wait for it to go back in stock at amazon.co.uk i suppose

Edit 2 : this one is also ok : amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S9NZ92D/ref=dp_cerb_2?th=1 but you'll have to take an external hard disk because 256 Gb are definitely not enough

The post was edited 2 times, last by Chack ().

• Well, since I got summoned. :D

Gaming laptops usually end up being expensive for many reasons. What you probably will not get from your laptop is a good camera (I taped mine) or microphone. Microphones will not be what you want for video recording because they lack the noise filter. Good usb cameras are cheap and can be set up better than a laptop to stream. A 1080p usb camera is all you need, 4k sounds better, but you only upload at 1080p and the lower resolution will speed up the editing time more than anything else. 4k might be better in the future, right now, it's only purpose I can see is if you want to zoom in by cropping the video to just a part of the recorded images.

In general normal good is good enough. Don't be fooled by the latest and best, within the range of the last year at reasonable prices is better.

What do you really need?
    First of all you need to be able to cache and store large amounts of data and transport it at high speed, so 16GB RAM (8 will do if you must) and an SSD disk for your operating system and your software. 128GB will do, 256GB is better. Beyond that you will want a second hard disk, since SSD is expensive and because you will want a large drive: 1GB with SSHD, not HDD. SSHD is just a combination of the best of both worlds. A lot of cheap space with a small fast SSD buffer. These 2 specks will make your laptop fast for video editing. This you should not compromise on, you will want the 1TB SSHD guaranteed because recordings and edits eat space fast. You can get external HDDs to shift old stuff from your laptop , but you need enough initial capacity on it's own disc.
    Second of all video editing is done on your graphics card as is most of gaming, I am not an expert on this subject but would make sure the card is from 2019 and has a decent test.
    The processor matters but it is not the most important item on your list, i5 or Ryzen 5 is good enough, I do not have experience with the new AMD ones but they come well recommended. It is a cost thing, for video editing and many games the graphics card will matter more. But you need a good minimal standard and all the numbers are confusing. Often retailers will cheat you with specs and sell you an older generation processor. Just look past all the numbers and make sure the processor is up to date (Google the name with release date)

Always check the layout of the laptop and maybe the screen if you are picky. Not sure if it is still a thing but I paid extra for an IPS screen.

Basically what @Chack picked is a good choice, now we just need a UK one. :thumbsup: Amazon UK is not that good on the hardware specs, what would be the big UK retailers for computers over the internet?
  • I use a stock Logitech 920 for my webcam.... Blue Yeti for mic.

My honest suggestion to improving your reports though would be a new camera. Your stills look fuzzy to me and the lighting isn't crisp. I'd grab a good smartphone (I use a DSLR, but that's my luxury) and focus on taking pictures from straight on, instead of an angle. Also set up a flow for each turn (I do wide overshot, interesting closeups, and any final thoughts on future turns).

Just trying to provide good feedback here, not be brutal. Hope this helps.

Find me on Twitter! - twitter.com/SkavenInAZ
  • Guys, what can I say apart from a huge thank you for your comments! Really helping to steer me in the right direction for sure!

As I said, I think I do need to have a Laptop rather than PC, but please don't let that stop you from posting examples of how much more financially viable PC's are - maybe this can be a good thread to start that sort of thing in general?

Chack wrote:

piteglio wrote:

chack! layout team! congrats! this is beautiful! ok, sorry for off topic.
    Thanks, right now i'm just in trial since i have my hands full with last university exam, but after that i'll have to start with some translating to get to know the books structure :D
    Anyway PTG-Lucky-Sixes here you go : amazon.com/dp/B07S37JY44/ref=a…57362bff74&language=en_US

You can upgrade it to 16 Gb ram and it pretty much respect all your requirements (for connecting to other devices you'll need the proper cables, but those are rather cheap)

Edit : blast, i didn't notice that the shipping price to uk was so hig, i'll search for something cheaper, or you can wait for it to go back in stock at amazon.co.uk i suppose

Edit 2 : this one is also ok : amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S9NZ92D/ref=dp_cerb_2?th=1 but you'll have to take an external hard disk because 256 Gb are definitely not enough
    OK some great examples here and have automatically been put into my shortlist when it comes to decision time! Yeah that shipping is a killer but if i can get one from UK that looks to be a front runner really.

So a question on these and why you chose them - what makes these better than similarly priced laptops? Also, I notice they are both intel i5 etc, but from the little research i've done it has all pointed to intel i7 etc as the one i should be ensuring i get to be able to cope with upcoming (TW:W3 for example) games at a decent spec. Is this good information or a bit of a bluff?

Little Joe wrote:

Well, since I got summoned. :D

Gaming laptops usually end up being expensive for many reasons. What you probably will not get from your laptop is a good camera (I taped mine) or microphone. Microphones will not be what you want for video recording because they lack the noise filter. Good usb cameras are cheap and can be set up better than a laptop to stream. A 1080p usb camera is all you need, 4k sounds better, but you only upload at 1080p and the lower resolution will speed up the editing time more than anything else. 4k might be better in the future, right now, it's only purpose I can see is if you want to zoom in by cropping the video to just a part of the recorded images.

In general normal good is good enough. Don't be fooled by the latest and best, within the range of the last year at reasonable prices is better.

What do you really need?
    First of all you need to be able to cache and store large amounts of data and transport it at high speed, so 16GB RAM (8 will do if you must) and an SSD disk for your operating system and your software. 128GB will do, 256GB is better. Beyond that you will want a second hard disk, since SSD is expensive and because you will want a large drive: 1GB with SSHD, not HDD. SSHD is just a combination of the best of both worlds. A lot of cheap space with a small fast SSD buffer. These 2 specks will make your laptop fast for video editing. This you should not compromise on, you will want the 1TB SSHD guaranteed because recordings and edits eat space fast. You can get external HDDs to shift old stuff from your laptop , but you need enough initial capacity on it's own disc.
    Second of all video editing is done on your graphics card as is most of gaming, I am not an expert on this subject but would make sure the card is from 2019 and has a decent test.
    The processor matters but it is not the most important item on your list, i5 or Ryzen 5 is good enough, I do not have experience with the new AMD ones but they come well recommended. It is a cost thing, for video editing and many games the graphics card will matter more. But you need a good minimal standard and all the numbers are confusing. Often retailers will cheat you with specs and sell you an older generation processor. Just look past all the numbers and make sure the processor is up to date (Google the name with release date)

Always check the layout of the laptop and maybe the screen if you are picky. Not sure if it is still a thing but I paid extra for an IPS screen.

Basically what @Chack picked is a good choice, now we just need a UK one. :thumbsup: Amazon UK is not that good on the hardware specs, what would be the big UK retailers for computers over the internet?
    Wow! Amazing detail here thank you so much. So if (like @Chacks first example) I had the choice to get 256GB SSD AND 1TB SSHD is that better than simply having SSD and HDD? Not too fussed on the screen but 15.6" would be the lowest I guess. Not a priority to go to 17.3" if that is what you were suggesting too.

Yeah I am putting a high focus i think on the graphics card and the gaming side of things because I imagine that if it can handle the latest TW:W it SHOULD be able to handle all the video/picture editing stuff, almost by default. Although, I don't know whether that is actually true as I AM NOOB lol

Probably Currys/PC World are the leading retailers for computers in UK, although I dont know whether this is true over the internet (or actually true in real life - see previous sentence)

SkavenInAZ wrote:

I use a stock Logitech 920 for my webcam.... Blue Yeti for mic.

My honest suggestion to improving your reports though would be a new camera. Your stills look fuzzy to me and the lighting isn't crisp. I'd grab a good smartphone (I use a DSLR, but that's my luxury) and focus on taking pictures from straight on, instead of an angle. Also set up a flow for each turn (I do wide overshot, interesting closeups, and any final thoughts on future turns).

Just trying to provide good feedback here, not be brutal. Hope this helps.
    Cheers man that really helps a lot! I have grown up in sport all my life so rarely take criticism to heart and actually try to take it on board and learn from it, so i really appreciate comments like this. Besides, I'm a big boy (at least that's what my mummy says!) so can take a bit of constructive critique from a fellow YouTuber - whom by the way I have been a subscriber for ages and really like your reports/social media content you provide! Keep it up big man!

• Chack wrote:

piteglio wrote:

N3okorrales wrote:

If you dont mind getting a desktop

this should suit your needs pccomponentes.com/configurador/Ab0e96562

or this one pccomponentes.com/configurador/69Cf25D6B this second one has a significantly better micro wich would handle video rendering much better.
    Yeah like I said, for me personally, I think it has to be a laptop at this moment in time. However, doesn't mean in the next few years I/we can't look at having a main Desktop PC to improve the channel further, so if you do have any tips for this then feel free to include them here. I'm not here to exclude anyone's ideas chaps...

• SkavenInAZ wrote:

I use .... Blue Yeti for mic.

this!

@L6: i've been pestering you for Ages about sound quality, i know, but good audio really is a gamechanger.
    if i had to shortlist youtubers to invite as guest on a show, their audio equipment would probably be tech requirement #1
    ; )
  • piteglio wrote:

SkavenInAZ wrote:

I use .... Blue Yeti for mic.
    this!

@L6: i've been pestering you for Ages about sound quality, i know, but good audio really is a gamechanger.
    if i had to shortlist youtubers to invite as guest on a show, their audio equipment would probably be tech requirement #1
    ; )
    Ok Cool. Have just searched Blue Yeti and come up with about a hundred different types worth anywhere in the region of £50-£260. Any chance you can point me in the right direction for one of the more cheaper options lol?

• It is a simple budget decision, i5 or i7 is a moot discussion for a serviceable laptop, it only matters once you give a price range and a task. There is always room upwards and most people always want the best they can get. With a price range priorities must be met to do the task given and most people realistically do not need the extreme high end for every component. Even for high end solutions because it does not matter that much.

Disk space and fast data transportation matter most, otherwise the laptop can't work at top speed for video recording/editing. SSHD is far superior to HDD. The SSHD provides space with a regular HDD and adds a small SSD chip to ensure that the data rate of transportation is much higher. With a faster system the feed speed must match the processing speed and you hit the feed speed limit way before you hit the processing speed limit. Hence the priority on good storage over CPU. Adding such a disk is very easy and you can do it yourself, but if it is not included the max price should be adjusted accordingly of course to stay within the given range.
    The CPU is mostly the controller, the real number crunching is in the GPU (graphics card) for what you want to do. It supports the CPU more than an upgrade of the CPU, so for your needs it comes first. These graphics cards are expensive compared to other components. So to stay within price range an i5 is enough for what you want.

You don't need a laptop that can run TW:W3 and do the edit on your latest video super fast at the same time. :P Because that is where the real power of an i7 or now i9 is over the i5, it is better at multi tasking. I am not into gaming, but a recent i5 should handle it perfectly fine, that's a lot of computing power.

EDIT: I would go for a 15.6 screen. A laptop is for portable uses and the more screen the more mass. 15.6 also fits nicely into a backpack.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Little Joe ().