VS revealed as 5th faction to get Legendary treatment

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• VS revealed as 5th faction to get Legendary treatment

Sources:

Calisson wrote:

- Expect ID and DE to be released in beta stage, not alfa. DE much later than ID.
    - Next faction will be VS, that's no longer uncertain, although actual work did not start yet.

Calisson wrote:

ToDD wrote:

Holy snaparony, I did not know that! Did I miss an announcement?
    If I remember correctly, we decided to announce it, it went on the to-do list, and is still there... :whistling: Since there is no reason to hide this information and someone asked for it, let it be known.

PRAISE THE RAT KING! AVRAS RESTORED IN FULL GLORY! RATTUS LO VULT! <3

Ahem.

Thanks for sharing these good news, Calisson :)
    City-States of Myra - a homebrew army book to play Ancient Greeks in T9A
  • This was the right move. I've said this a lot but it's worth repeating:

I don't think that T9A as a project knows what VS is supposed to really be at a fundamental level. A lot of this is due to the Skaven army essentially consisting of 5 different factions (Eshin, Skryre, Moulder, Pestilence and Mors) mixed together and they each come with their own strengths and weaknesses: Sneaky/scouting, AP shooting, monsters, frenzy/poison and sometimes those also mix in individual units... And then there's also one demon.

I don't think it's impossible to balance that out but it might be hard, especially if you want to distance yourself from GW's legacy. And I'm thinking what's the point of me committing to a VS army now when I feel like it might change quite a bit. So the Vermin Daemon for instance is on a 75x50 base which I think is stupid for a gigantic model. Also doesn't at all fit the model I have in mind for it :P

So how much is gonna change? Maybe quite a bit. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some fairly large design changes like the Hellcannon -> Maw redesign from WDG being applied to several VS units.
    My wife and I just released our first video game title!
  • Scylla wrote:

Sources:

PRAISE THE RAT KING! AVRAS RESTORED IN FULL GLORY! RATTUS LO VULT! <3
    DOWN WITH THE FALSE KING! LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC! AVRAS HAS NO KING, AVRAS NEEDS NO KING! ONE TAIL, ONE VOTE!
    I have whirl’d with the earth at the dawningWhen the sky was a vaporous flameI have seen the dark universe yawning,
    Where the black planets roll without aim;
    Where they roll in their horror unheeded, without knowledge or lustre or name.
  • arwaker wrote:

We as community should prepare something like a reasonable wishlist document to support lab team from the beginning.
    In my signature. It's publicly editable, but there's everything in there I could summarize from previous threads, mostly the brainstorm thread.
    I have whirl’d with the earth at the dawningWhen the sky was a vaporous flameI have seen the dark universe yawning,
  • I want us less focused on the static gunline where infantry is just there as an anvil to not die while the weapons deal all the damage. I love our weapons, but they should be there to soften up the enemy, not defeat him. We are still the swarm and the infantry swarm should be what ends the fight. A tide of cannibalistic, scavenging, battle-drunk maniacs swarming over the enemy.

~~~~~~

In general, I think our current book does not well represent rat psychology. What I think really makes the rats rats is they are two things:
    • They are prey
    • They are social
    What I think really makes the Vermin is that they are constantly scared of everything and incredibly high strung. Their only modes of behaviour are fight, flight and scare of predators by fluffing up their fur.
    The rats are never content. They never just stand around, they are constantly moving. Either towards the enemy when they feel confident they can destroy him, or away, when they think they are going to lose. They don't do losing fights, and they don't do patient waiting.
    This is also why their technology is so grandiose and fails so spectacularly, why their generals present themselves as martial demigods and their politicans make impossible promises. It is never sufficient to be good at something. You have to drill into everyone's skulls that you are so incredibly superior to them that they can never have a chance against you. Because the moment a superior looks weak, he will be taken out. Because everyone both above and below them in the hierarchy is constantly scared of them. So you can't just have defeated an enemy in battle with your troops. You did it with negligable losses and you personally bit off the vampire general's head. You don't just build a cannon, you build the largest cannon ever built with the largest power source ever conceived. In fact, you made the very pinnacle of artillery.
    The vermin have to constantly convince everyone of how great they are. Including themselves. Because if others think you're weak, you're meat, and if you think you are weak, others will see. That's why you are the best. And your unit is the best. And your tribe is the best. And the Republic is the greatest nation ever built. Obviously.

That's also why the Vermin suck at diplomacy. First of all, they can't possibly praise other nations for anything. Because that would be an admission of weakness from the Republic. And they have no concept of a mutually beneficial arrangement. They will lie about a deal benefiting both sides, but they always know that they are only waiting for the other side to make a fatal mistake. They don't have allies, they have enemies they are currently wary off, but not attacking.
  • @Eldan - great description. Add to this that rats experience different time perception. Time for them runs at increased pace. That is why humans perceive them as always in a hurry, unable to wait. But in fact 1 min wait for them is like 1 hour wait for us. Other races for them are like Tolkien ents for us. Rats do not lack long term planning... they just live on a different time scale.
  • I'd say in fact that many rats don't really have much long-term planning. There is cheese over there, get the cheese. Then worry about the trap once you have the cheese. It would be very hard to explain the concept of "work today, pay tomorrow" to a rat.
    Those that do become leaders.
  • Eldan wrote:

ONE TAIL, ONE VOTE!
    :love:

-=-=-
    Thank you for speeding up the process with a wishlist already established.
    Nevertheless, be aware that the process is very, very long, and remember that even the all mighty Santa Claus does not deliver 100% of the wish list made by his devout fans.
    -=-=-
    About real rats, they are smarter than what you imply. They would let one of them experiment a new food and wait before others would touch that food. Ask pest eradication companies...

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • Oh, I know about real rats. I have some as a pet and I've worked with them as lab animals. They are really nothing like the Swarm. For one, they are meticulously clean and mostly really friendly, both to each other and to people they trust.
  • Seems to be some miscommunication here. Vs isnt the 5th FAB book but will instead be joined with EOS into a single fab book, called Impirium Maxus, with a strong focus on rank and file infantry with a bunch of SCIENCE! to back them up.

Display Spoiler
    its gonna be great!

Display Spoiler
    also not true at all... :killed:

• First we should re-inform us about the state of background information. I think this is important because we have probably all a slightly different view of our background.

What is the official info released so far? What are the good background posts community has made so far, which could also be transferred to the team as inspiration?

We maybe should have a thread collecting all such pieces of official background and background suggestions. Only a collection thread not a discussion thread. Only likes allowed to the posts, no discussions. With number of likes we can get an indication of which suggestion is like by community and which not.

Does that make sense?
  • Sure. Give me a few days. There isn"t much, but my Background index is outdated for the newest scrolls and I'm working this weekend.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Eldan ().

• Had a bit more time than I thought, so I went through all the Ninth Scrolls and the legendary rulebook again today between measurements and copied them in one document. Only official material so far, if you have anything unofficial to nominate, please suggest it here.

docs.google.com/document/d/1X7…CvTay8Hk/edit?usp=sharing