Pinned Beginner's Guide to Lexicons

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Beginner's Guide to Lexicons

What is a Lexicon?
      Display Spoiler
      You are posting on the site and you notice a whole bunch of your words automatically become links to various T9A rules and concepts. These links are called Lexicons (or lexicon articles). They are intended to be helpful. They occur when you spell a word (or set of words) exactly how the title of the lexicon is written, or as one of the listed synonyms listed on that lexicon article.

This Lexicon is Wrong, how do I get it fixed?
      Display Spoiler
      Anyone can edit the lexicons (including you). Simply click the link, hit Edit, change what needs changing, explain what you changed in the changelog, and hit submit. It may ask you to put it into a folder of some sort (if you don't know where it should go, put it in the "Generic Topic" folder).

There is no required format for the lexicons, but if looking for a starting point, I have created some suggestions:

2nd Edition Generic Lexicon Rule Template
      2nd Edition Generic Lexicon Item Template
      2nd Edition Generic Lexicon Spell Template
      2nd Edition Generic Lexicon Unit Template

There isn't a lexicon for this topic, how do I get one added?
      Display Spoiler
      Like editing, anyone can add a lexicon (including you). Simply go to the folder you want it added to and hit "Add Article". Put the stuff you think matters in and hit submit.

There is no required format for the lexicons, but if looking for a starting point, I have created some suggested formats:

2nd Edition Generic Lexicon Rule Template
      2nd Edition Generic Lexicon Item Template
      2nd Edition Generic Lexicon Spell Template
      2nd Edition Generic Lexicon Unit Template

I'm editing the lexicons like you said, but what are these Abstract and Description boxes for?
      Display Spoiler
      On the PC, when you hold the mouse over a lexicon link, the Abstract appears. When you click the link, you get the Description.

For short lexicons, the abstract is likely identical to the description. For longer lexicons, the abstract is a summary or just invites you to click the link. There is a character cap on the abstract, there is no character cap on the description.

I want to add or replace an image for a Lexicon, how do I do this?
      Display Spoiler
      The suggested method would be to upload the image to the Gallery.
      Gallery > Public - Community Resources > Wiki Resource
      the-ninth-age.com/community/ga…e-list/634-wiki-resource/
      There are faction specific folders if the image is related to a faction.

Once uploaded hit the "share" button and copy+paste the BBC code into the lexicon you are editing.

Example: [url='https://www.the-ninth-age.com/community/gallery/index.php?image/33227-prevent-lexicon-detection-button/'][img]https://www.the-ninth-age.com/community/gallery/userImages/a1/33227-a1a6101a.png[/img][/url]

To replace an existing image, just replace the BBC code with the new code.

You may have to hit "edit" and "submit" a second time to get the image to display right. Not sure why the second time helps, but it really does.

Older lexicons may have images stored as attachments. If replacing those photos with ones in the gallery, feel free to delete the attachments.

I hate lexicons, how do I post without creating lexicons?
      Display Spoiler
      When posting, hit "more options" > "settings" and uncheck "Recognize lexicon articles automatically" and then proceed to post as normal.

In alternative, [nolexicon]<your text you don't want lexicon linked>[/nolexicon] will make your text not create lexicon links and will stop existing lexicon links from functioning. There is a shortcut button for this that looks like

You'll need to highlight the area you want affected, and then hit the button.

How do I delete a lexicon article?
      Display Spoiler

If you think deleting it is urgent, perhaps because it's offensive, please hit the little "report content" button the lexicon's article page.

If it's not urgent, you could contact a member of the Lexicon Team. At present, this includes:
      @Chronocide

You could also post on the Moderator Request thread.

The post was edited 15 times, last by Chronocide ().