Project Sunblade, a 9th Age video game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Project Sunblade, a 9th Age video game

Welcome to the Sunblade project !

What is this about ?

This project aims to be a fully functional virtual version of The Ninth Age, with its rules and armies fully integrated, making playing games with your favorite armies online with anyone, from all around the world, possible!

Who are we ?

Zoouum and Arkmut, two players since v7 of The World That Was, resp. Dwarven Holds and Sylvan Elves players, and two IT engineers completely in love with game development.

- Making T9A accessible to all by easing the learning process and lowering the (huge) entry cost of a tabletop wargame.
    - Reducing the average length of a standard game to less than an hour, with rule automation and user-friendly features
    - Giving the players a way to test any build, any army they wish pretty easily
    - Making tournaments and events super easy to organize, you do no longer need a huge place with tables, terrain features and dices for all your players
    - Attracting new players to this awesome game of T9A by making it more accessible, and opening it to new platforms

In order to make this project something more than a fuzzy dream we are going to start a crowdfunding campaign, and in the meantime we’d be super happy to listen to your feedback on this project !

Thanks !

Follow us on Facebook to have the latest news: facebook.com/SunbladeOfficial
    (And here is a quick glance at the early stages of development)

Help us spread the love for the 9th age with Sunblade, a T9A video game!!

Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/SunbladeOfficial
  • New

Very cool idea! I'm super interested as well :)
    I know it's early days, but I've got a few questions:

1) Have you made or released a digital game before?

2) Assuming this is turn-based, dice based, card based etc... would it be exactly the same game as T9A, but in digital form?

3) In the way players might use it, is it more of a tool - essentially 3D Universal Battle? Or more like a game where movement / LOS restrictions will be handled by the game rather than player decisions?

4) In your screenshots, it looked like the bald men doing lunges might be animated as well? Would you still see the troops as static models or as animated characters?

5) Which platforms do you think are in scope? PC desktop, Mac, iOS, Android?

6) Are you intending to build the game through a game engine like Unity3D or Unreal or other?

7) Do you see this being open-source or at least allowing player-made modifications? Too early to say?

Will be keen to see how this progresses!
  • New

Thanks !
    and the more questions we get, the more we get close to what everybody wants with this project :)
    So:

Crafty wrote:

1) Have you made or released a digital game before?
    We are a group put together for this project, so it's our first. But individually, we have professional experience in software development, and I have some in game development as well.

Crafty wrote:

2) Assuming this is turn-based, dice based, card based etc... would it be exactly the same game as T9A, but in digital form?
    You assumed right, it's turn-based, card-based and dice-based ! We are planning to stick as close as possible to the original game, with maybe a few ergonomic compromises with the rules in order to enhance the player experience, due to the fact this is not a physical board game.
    An example of such compromises would be the choice between the special saves when getting wounded. Currently in T9A you need to choose between your special saves which one you will use before rolling. In a video game, having to choose between saves for each wound on each model is going to be horrible, so we decided to automatically select the best save for the wound, taking into accounts any rerolls or buffs.
    This should be perfectly fine in 99% of the cases, but if one day you want a model to die for some reason, you won't be able to choose your worst save.

Crafty wrote:

3) In the way players might use it, is it more of a tool - essentially 3D Universal Battle? Or more like a game where movement / LOS restrictions will be handled by the game rather than player decisions?
    We are planning to implement all T9A's rules in the game, and that's where we differ from piteglio's Veil of the Ages project on Tabletop Simulator (go check it up, it's awesome!). So yes, the movement restrictions and LOS will be done by the game. We'll share a glimpse of gameplay on that soon...

Crafty wrote:

4) In your screenshots, it looked like the bald men doing lunges might be animated as well? Would you still see the troops as static models or as animated characters?
    "bald men doing lunges" is the most accurate description of my attempt at 3D animation I've ever seen :D
    This is the key part of the project, and the hardest for us: we want to 3D model and animate all the units of the different armies in the game. As you can probably see, we don't have any 3D artists in our team for now, and are relying on my 3D skills, which are what they are, being a dev^^. The crowd-founding campaign will be mostly aimed at covering this part.

Crafty wrote:

5) Which platforms do you think are in scope? PC desktop, Mac, iOS, Android?
    This is going to be a PC game. the ergonomy on console or mobile would be completely different, and is not in our priority at the moment. For now, the game is developed for Windows, but is compatible with Linux and Mac OS, and will be on the scope later down the line.

Crafty wrote:

6) Are you intending to build the game through a game engine like Unity3D or Unreal or other?
    The game is currently on a game engine yes, not UE4 nor Unity though ( we are using JMonkey Engine ). We needed more flexibility for T9A multiple and varied rules than the more classical engines would offer.

Crafty wrote:

7) Do you see this being open-source or at least allowing player-made modifications? Too early to say?
    We are planning to add in mod support, where players will be able to create their own rules, flux cards, spells, units, ect.. But it's a complex feature, raising a few issues, especially on security and hacking. So it will depends on our resources and we want to make sure the rest of the game is well rounded before starting on this one.

I hope I've answered your questions, and don't hesitate to ask more!
    Help us spread the love for the 9th age with Sunblade, a T9A video game!!

Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/SunbladeOfficial