Project Sunblade, a 9th Age video game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Project Sunblade, a 9th Age video game

Welcome to the Sunblade project !

What is this about ?

This project aims to be a fully functional virtual version of The Ninth Age, with its rules and armies fully integrated, making playing games with your favorite armies online with anyone, from all around the world, possible!

Who are we ?

Zoouum and Arkmut, two players since v7 of The World That Was, resp. Dwarven Holds and Sylvan Elves players, and two IT engineers completely in love with game development.

- Making T9A accessible to all by easing the learning process and lowering the (huge) entry cost of a tabletop wargame.
    - Reducing the average length of a standard game to less than an hour, with rule automation and user-friendly features
    - Giving the players a way to test any build, any army they wish pretty easily
    - Making tournaments and events super easy to organize, you do no longer need a huge place with tables, terrain features and dices for all your players
    - Attracting new players to this awesome game of T9A by making it more accessible, and opening it to new platforms

In order to make this project something more than a fuzzy dream we are going to start a crowdfunding campaign, and in the meantime we’d be super happy to listen to your feedback on this project !

Thanks !

Follow us on Facebook to have the latest news: facebook.com/SunbladeOfficial
    (And here is a quick glance at the early stages of development)

Help us spread the love for the 9th age with Sunblade, a T9A video game!!

Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/SunbladeOfficial
  • New

Very cool idea! I'm super interested as well :)
    I know it's early days, but I've got a few questions:

1) Have you made or released a digital game before?

2) Assuming this is turn-based, dice based, card based etc... would it be exactly the same game as T9A, but in digital form?

3) In the way players might use it, is it more of a tool - essentially 3D Universal Battle? Or more like a game where movement / LOS restrictions will be handled by the game rather than player decisions?

4) In your screenshots, it looked like the bald men doing lunges might be animated as well? Would you still see the troops as static models or as animated characters?

5) Which platforms do you think are in scope? PC desktop, Mac, iOS, Android?

6) Are you intending to build the game through a game engine like Unity3D or Unreal or other?

7) Do you see this being open-source or at least allowing player-made modifications? Too early to say?

Will be keen to see how this progresses!
  • New

Thanks !
    and the more questions we get, the more we get close to what everybody wants with this project :)
    So:

Crafty wrote:

1) Have you made or released a digital game before?
    We are a group put together for this project, so it's our first. But individually, we have professional experience in software development, and I have some in game development as well.

Crafty wrote:

2) Assuming this is turn-based, dice based, card based etc... would it be exactly the same game as T9A, but in digital form?
    You assumed right, it's turn-based, card-based and dice-based ! We are planning to stick as close as possible to the original game, with maybe a few ergonomic compromises with the rules in order to enhance the player experience, due to the fact this is not a physical board game.
    An example of such compromises would be the choice between the special saves when getting wounded. Currently in T9A you need to choose between your special saves which one you will use before rolling. In a video game, having to choose between saves for each wound on each model is going to be horrible, so we decided to automatically select the best save for the wound, taking into accounts any rerolls or buffs.
    This should be perfectly fine in 99% of the cases, but if one day you want a model to die for some reason, you won't be able to choose your worst save.

Crafty wrote:

3) In the way players might use it, is it more of a tool - essentially 3D Universal Battle? Or more like a game where movement / LOS restrictions will be handled by the game rather than player decisions?
    We are planning to implement all T9A's rules in the game, and that's where we differ from piteglio's Veil of the Ages project on Tabletop Simulator (go check it up, it's awesome!). So yes, the movement restrictions and LOS will be done by the game. We'll share a glimpse of gameplay on that soon...

Crafty wrote:

4) In your screenshots, it looked like the bald men doing lunges might be animated as well? Would you still see the troops as static models or as animated characters?
    "bald men doing lunges" is the most accurate description of my attempt at 3D animation I've ever seen :D
    This is the key part of the project, and the hardest for us: we want to 3D model and animate all the units of the different armies in the game. As you can probably see, we don't have any 3D artists in our team for now, and are relying on my 3D skills, which are what they are, being a dev^^. The crowd-founding campaign will be mostly aimed at covering this part.

Crafty wrote:

5) Which platforms do you think are in scope? PC desktop, Mac, iOS, Android?
    This is going to be a PC game. the ergonomy on console or mobile would be completely different, and is not in our priority at the moment. For now, the game is developed for Windows, but is compatible with Linux and Mac OS, and will be on the scope later down the line.

Crafty wrote:

6) Are you intending to build the game through a game engine like Unity3D or Unreal or other?
    The game is currently on a game engine yes, not UE4 nor Unity though ( we are using JMonkey Engine ). We needed more flexibility for T9A multiple and varied rules than the more classical engines would offer.

Crafty wrote:

7) Do you see this being open-source or at least allowing player-made modifications? Too early to say?
    We are planning to add in mod support, where players will be able to create their own rules, flux cards, spells, units, ect.. But it's a complex feature, raising a few issues, especially on security and hacking. So it will depends on our resources and we want to make sure the rest of the game is well rounded before starting on this one.

I hope I've answered your questions, and don't hesitate to ask more!

• New

I think what you should aim for is to have a system that operates exactly as the BloodBowl video game.

Same rules, same mechanics, dice are apparent, all the actions possible are the same as in the game, you are informed of what decisions you can make and of what dice results you need before making a decision, all the automatic things happen by themselves (for example pursuits, etc.).

Good luck for combat reform, though ;)

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • New

Hi all,
    Today we will show you our smart movement system.
    The idea is to be able to move your units around without having to care about distances and wheel angles.
    How does it work:
    1. Select the unit you want to move
    2. Click and drag where you want the unit to be
    3. If the move is legal the unit will walk to it’s position
    4. If not, you’ll see the furthest the unit can go in this direction
    Check the pictures below for the movement in action!

• New

That’s super cool dude!!

Just on your 4.
    I realize this is still an early test - but do you think it would be possible for the player to ‘test’ where they’d like their unit to go and get feedback as to whether the move is possible before committing the unit to move there?

This is for later on, but maybe there’s a preview of the units pathfinding so that the player understands how it’s going to move? It might give the player the control to adjust the target end location to help the unit to avoid moving through difficult terrain for example.
  • New

Yeah and also give lines of sights of different units at the same time, with some cool system of shadow layers so that it's possible to toggle on line of sight for several units and see where is the « dark patch » between them.
    ;)

Likewise, range between the hypothetical position and other units.
    Like, just by clicking on a unit you know how far it is, no need to draw a ruler as in UB.

But your system is really crazy, I'd always thought that would be the most difficult thing to implement in any WH-like computer wargame, especially due to the non-granular system rather than tiles, which are much easier to calculate.

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • New

Crafty wrote:

That’s super cool dude!!

Just on your 4.
    I realize this is still an early test - but do you think it would be possible for the player to ‘test’ where they’d like their unit to go and get feedback as to whether the move is possible before committing the unit to move there?

This is for later on, but maybe there’s a preview of the units pathfinding so that the player understands how it’s going to move? It might give the player the control to adjust the target end location to help the unit to avoid moving through difficult terrain for example.

As it is now, you can test any position to see if it's legal. And you can undo any action that doesn't interfere directly with the game (we will post something on this later down the line), so you can try as many movements as you want.
    But I like the idea of planning a set of moves before committing it, but we have to remember that there is an other player pretty much passive during this phase, so we don't want to make it too long. We 'll need to think about it, but we're keeping the idea!

• New

Ghiznuk wrote:

Yeah and also give lines of sights of different units at the same time, with some cool system of shadow layers so that it's possible to toggle on line of sight for several units and see where is the « dark patch » between them.
    ;)

Likewise, range between the hypothetical position and other units.
    Like, just by clicking on a unit you know how far it is, no need to draw a ruler as in UB.

But your system is really crazy, I'd always thought that would be the most difficult thing to implement in any WH-like computer wargame, especially due to the non-granular system rather than tiles, which are much easier to calculate.

This is totally going to be in the game, we'll explain how we've done it soon
    You can expand this on basically any ranged rule, like the general command bubble, charge range, Frenzy charge range, shooting range, etc
    the goal is to keep it clear and easy to read, without flooding the user with info, while having those infos easily accessible.

• New

Interesting! And very ambitious!

How do you plan to update the game to follow the updates of T9A rules?
    Do you plan in having an internal list-building tool, or to be able to import a list from another tool? Maybe partner up with an existing list builder?

We already have some list builders that automatically update their tool from the latex files of our books, but with your project you'll need to go a bit further.

If you need any info about how the book are generated and what data can be extracted automatically, I'm happy to help.

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
  • New

Ghiznuk wrote:

Likewise, range between the hypothetical position and other units.Like, just by clicking on a unit you know how far it is, no need to draw a ruler as in UB.
    Um, that's already a functionality of UB. One that I like very much and really miss when playing IRL games. I'm glad to hear that something like that is supposed to be implemented here as well.
  • New

Hey, looks really promising!

I often thought of doing something like that, but this is just way too much work, and I prefer spending that time to play real battles ^^ (or creating simpler games hehe). Kudos for starting that!

Now it is easy to start a project, but working on it for years and actually finishing it will be the real test ;) don't give up! I wish you the best.

Looking forward to playtest it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by joel127 ().