Crippling Rides 9 Quarantine Edition (aka the 8th) UB tournament

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Crippling Rides 9 Quarantine Edition (aka the 8th) UB tournament

Due to the current situation, where a few countries are in declared full quarantine, and the rest in general, shouldnt leave home more than the minimum necessary, this creates the perfect time to play T9A in damn UB!

Therefore, instead of giving the typical 2 weeks rest after the last tournament, we are directly starting with the next one

With that said, wash your hands, and go on reading!

The Crippling Rides 9 Quarantine Edition (aka the 8th)

Overview:

This tournament will be comprised of 3 games, with 2 weeks in between to play each round. All games will be played using 2.0 and 2020 (take last version at the list submition deadline!). Armies will have a point size of 4500 pts.

Joining the Tournament:

To join the tournament, just submit your list to the following link:
      Lists here!

Best format to upload the list is .txt. If you for some reason dont like txt, you can use any other as long as anyone else can open it, but believe me, .txt.
      In case you want to change your list for any reason, upload a new one, and notify me, so I can get rid of the previous one. Players are allowed to update the lists as many times as needed, until the list submitting deadline. After the deadline, lists will only be changed when and if I say so (most likely due to list correction). Still, please, try to get your list right and upload it only once, so I dont go nuts with this.

Remember to include your forum name in the name of the lists, or your oponents wont be able to find you.
      Note: Posting in this thread is not enough to be enlisted in the tournament. If your list is up, you are in, if not, no.

List can be done from any of the 16 official 2020 armies (last version on 5th february), or the Asklanders, Cultists and Makhar auxiliary armies.

You have until the Wednesday 1st April 2020 at 22:00 (Central Europe time: Amsterdam, Madrid, Berlin, etc, etc) to submit your list (GMT+1). Any later than that and you will not be in the tournament.

World Zones:

World zones are still here, but wont be used for the first round pairings unless it is requested! Use them to have an idea what your oponents time zone is before schedulling your games.

You can indicate in your list your geographical location. For that, there are 3 groups:
      • Group A: GMT-10 to GMT -3
      • Group B: GMT-2 to GMT+5
      • Group C: GMT +6 : GMT-11
      For those who specifically request it, pairings for the first round will tend to be done according to this groups. If not specifically requested, all players will be mixed together no matter what their group is for the first round!

Additionally, Grudge Matches are allowed. If you want to get your revenge with someone, just tell me, and I will pair you both for the first round.

Organizing your game:

Each round pairings will be posted in the appropriate post below. You will have 2 weeks to play your game. I recomend that you organize the games through the T9A forum, so in case there are issues, you can add me to the conversation

In general, you should only contact me if:
      • Your opponent doesn't respond for more than 3 days while trying to schedule a match.
      • Your opponent states he can't play at all/is dropping out of the tournament
      • If neither of you can find a time that works for both of you to play your match.
      In case you see that you wont be able to find a time for a match that fits you and your opponent, I recomend you to post it here in this thread, asking for other players in the same situation. In case anyone else has problems, and switching opponents is an option, please, do so.

Playing your game:

All games will be played using v2020 ruleset on Universal battle (1 or 2, doesnt matter)

Maps will be taken from the v2.1.3a mappack, an announced along with the pairings, the deployment type and the scenario to play. This will be the map, deployment type and scenario you will have to play. Unlike the oponent, this cannot be switched. Note the special rules terrain in the map pack, since it should be played with it :P

You must take a picture after deployment to prove that you played the right map, and scenario conditions

Tournament points and stuff

In order to determine the result of the game, use the battle points table of the rulebook (aka the 20 point system). Remember that the table ranges between 3 and 17 points, and the scenario will provide a +/-3 point swing

The number of battle points obtained in each of the rounds will be added up in order to give your final tournament score. Pairings will be done using the swiss method based on this score. At the end of the tournament, each player can obtain additional points depending on the outcome of the list correction.

Submitting your results

In order to submit the results of your games, do as follows:

Create a new conversation including me, your opponent and you. The conversation must have the title '7CR9_R_(insert round number here)_(opponent 1)_vs_(opponent 2)'. There should be only two posts in the conversation. The first one should be the following table completely filled up

Player 1Player 2
      ArmyArmy
      Victory PointsVictory Points
      Scored the secondary objective? (Y/N)Scored the secondary objective? (Y/N)
      Battle Poitns after secondary objectiveBattle Poitns after secondary objective

The second message should be an answer from your opponent confirming the results. Please, dont send both the results, it is enough if only one of you two sends it and the other confirms.

Victory Points are used in case there are ties in battle points, so I recommend you to include them in the table.

In addition you should add a picture of the game after deployment. If the conversation does not include this picture, each player will get -3 battle points.

My opponent can't/won't play

If for some reason you are not able to schedulle a game at all, I suggest you to post it in this thread, and try to get a game with someone who may be in your same situation. In case no game is played in the end, these three things can happen:
      • If I received no notifications at all, both players will receive 0 battle points.
      • If you notify me that you cannot play due to reasons concerning both players, and you are not able to get a second opponent, each of you (or the player who doesn't find a second opponent) will get 3 battle points.
      • If you notify that you cannot play due to reasons concerning to only one of the players (e.g. one player has plenty of time to play and the other simply never can, or a date was set and one player didnt show up) the player causing this will receive 0 points, and the other 6. You will need to prove this in order to get the points.
      So as you can see, if you dont play the games, you will get fairly low battle points. Thats why I encourage you guys to search for games to substitute the ones you couldnt play.

If anyone doesnt play a round, he should expect to be inquired by my for the next rounds and/or tournaments.

List correction

As in last tournaments, there will be a phase of list corrections. This way we can mostly ensure that lists are well done, and there wont be misunderstandings during the games.

Organization for the list correction will be as follows: each player will be assigned two lists to correct. Once corrected, you should notify me (preferably via PM) if the lists are correct, or in case they are not, the errors found in them. By doing this you will get 4 battle points, which will be added to your score at the end of the tournament. If you dont notify my of this, no battle points for you.

Once the lists are corrected three things can happen:
      • Your list was correct: You are ready to go.
      • Your list had minor errors (e.g. units where the number of miniatures is not stated, equipment added to the points but not noted down, wrong names put for special items, etc): you will receive a penalty of -2 Battle Points. I will personaly correct this errors in the lists folder
      • Your list is ilegal (e.g. you exceded some point limit somewhere, you didnt include all the needed core, etc): you will receive -4 Battle Points. You will have 2 days from the end of list correction to tell me how to ammend the errors. In case you dont tell me, you will be out of the tournament.
      If errors in the lists are found after the pairings for the first rounds are given, you should tell me and the player whose list is wrong. The owner of the list and the payers in charge to correct it will get a -2 Battle Point penalization.

Summary

Link to submit lists: lists here!

Lists for the tournament

01/04/2020 Lists are due to compete in the tournament
      03/04/2020 End of list correction and list of errors given
      05/04/2020 First round pairings
      19/04/2020 Results from first round due
      03/05/2020 Results from second round due
      17/05/2020 Results from third round due
      All deadlines are at 22:00 European Central Time (GMT+1)

*For American players, please, note dates are given as DD/MM/YYYY
      :D

Good luck and have fun!

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

Marathon Finisher :D

Follow me on IG: @fordyewemust
      I accept painting commissions. If you want me paint something for you, just PM!
      Seriously, a blog? In this century? For Dice We Must

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• Back so soon? I'm in!
      Once a Daemon player - always a Daemon player!

"You can't outthink someone who doesn't think."

Ursa's Legions of Infinity

Background-driven game - Campaign with a global map

youngseward wrote:

My theory is if the game is truly balanced, everyone will be unhappy. Everyone thinks they should win 60% of their games.
    • List uploaded! :)

Casas wrote:

You have until the Wednesday 1st May 2020 at 22:00 (Central Europe time: Amsterdam, Madrid, Berlin, etc, etc) to submit your list (GMT+1). Any later than that and you will not be in the tournament.
      You mean Wednesday 1st April right? :D
      'He opened the battered book. Bits of paper and string indicated his many bookmarks.
      "In fact, men, the general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is..." he turned the page, "Don't Have a Battle."
      "Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.'
      Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

My humble Highborn Elves army blog:
      Elendor's HE army
    • elendor_f wrote:

List uploaded! :)

Casas wrote:

You have until the Wednesday 1st May 2020 at 22:00 (Central Europe time: Amsterdam, Madrid, Berlin, etc, etc) to submit your list (GMT+1). Any later than that and you will not be in the tournament.
      No idea what you are talking about 8| :D

I will correct it tomorrow, along with some Infos on how to deal with opponents not appearing

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• Casas wrote:

elendor_f wrote:

List uploaded! :)

Casas wrote:

No idea what you are talking about 8| :D
      April Fools...
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • New

Something I've been thinking on (thanks to @DarkS for the idea)

In order to prevent people not being able to play their games because their opponents dont show up, or their timetables are too different, there will be a possibility to instead play with someone who has already play. Therefore a list of 'Step In' players will be created. How does this work? Lets see:
      • If your opponent does not answer your messages to set the game in 3 days or more, or you both see that it is impossible to find a time that fits both players to play, or openly says he/she cannot play against you, notify it in this same post
      • If you have already played your game this round, and think you may have time to play another game before the end of the round (and you would like to), also, notify it in this same post. You will be added to the Step In list for the round. Also indicate roughly your availability to play (e.g. 'everyday after midnight except thursdays because it is when I pray naked to Ktulu)
      • The player who cannot play his game will be allowed to play against a player from the Step In list
      • Result of the game will only be taken into account for the non Stepping In player

So what do you people think about this solution? Do you agree? Do you think it will allow some nasty moves (like people searching in the step in list for easier lists, etc)? Would you add something?

Depending on your oppinions I will add it to the rules in the first post or not

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• New

Casas wrote:

Something I've been thinking on (thanks to @DarkS for the idea)

In order to prevent people not being able to play their games because their opponents dont show up, or their timetables are too different, there will be a possibility to instead play with someone who has already play. Therefore a list of 'Step In' players will be created. How does this work? Lets see:
      • If your opponent does not answer your messages to set the game in 3 days or more, or you both see that it is impossible to find a time that fits both players to play, or openly says he/she cannot play against you, notify it in this same post
      • If you have already played your game this round, and think you may have time to play another game before the end of the round (and you would like to), also, notify it in this same post. You will be added to the Step In list for the round. Also indicate roughly your availability to play (e.g. 'everyday after midnight except thursdays because it is when I pray naked to Ktulu)
      • The player who cannot play his game will be allowed to play against a player from the Step In list
      • Result of the game will only be taken into account for the non Stepping In player

So what do you people think about this solution? Do you agree? Do you think it will allow some nasty moves (like people searching in the step in list for easier lists, etc)? Would you add something?

Depending on your oppinions I will add it to the rules in the first post or not
      Sounds fine - only possible problem I can think of is that it's something active to get onto the step in-players list that you have to repeat every round for little benefit, so lots of people will simply forget about it after a while. Then if somebody got it in their mind to abuse this system their two buddies may well be the only guys available on the list. So, while that would possibly be the one way for me to finally win this thing (the time has come!) - how about this instead:
      • When sending their list players have to actively indicate whether they do not (opt-out measures are always more effective to gather volunteers) wish to serve as step-ins.
      • When somebody can't play his game he notifies you and sends you his available time slots.
      • You then relay those to the players on the step-in list and choose randomly among those which responded positively witin a reasonable time frame.
      • If that sounds like too much work I can always offer to help.
    • New

subspace wrote:

Sounds fine - only possible problem I can think of is that it's something active to get onto the step in-players list that you have to repeat every round for little benefit, so lots of people will simply forget about it after a while. Then if somebody got it in their mind to abuse this system their two buddies may well be the only guys available on the list. So, while that would possibly be the one way for me to finally win this thing (the time has come!) - how about this instead:
      • When sending their list players have to actively indicate whether they do not (opt-out measures are always more effective to gather volunteers) wish to serve as step-ins.
      • When somebody can't play his game he notifies you and sends you his available time slots.
      • You then relay those to the players on the step-in list and choose randomly among those which responded positively witin a reasonable time frame.
      • If that sounds like too much work I can always offer to help.

The problems I see with this are:

1. I cannot know if I will be available to suddenly set a day for an extra game in 6 weeks for now. Therefore I cannot say now when I upload my list if I can step in. I guess the same will happen to most players.

2. If people has to privately communicate me, and I have to pass the message, in the end the whole system depends on me being there. And it is true that I check the forum almost daily, but even that means at least a day of delay for American or Asian players. Also, and being truth in here, the less attention I have to pay to it, the better :D

So my idea was just using this thread, and players organizing themselves. You finished your game and want to play more? Post it, or send me a PM. And specially, you cannot play your game, post it in here. I guess that's what will activate more players to answer and decide to step in.

At least that's how I see it. What do you think about it?

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter