A Tale of Slow Painters

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

    The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

    • A Tale of Slow Painters

      Please allow me to welcome you to “A Tale of Slow Painters”.

      Firstly, we encourage your participation to join us, as we a group of 7 war-gaming painters embark on new projects to push ourselves and try out new things in a measured format where we have the “kick up the ass” needed to complete the project to time.

      What is “A Tale of Slow Painters”?
      It’s a project for to complete 2,000 points of 9thAge armies and an additional free Giant. (Thanks to the recent publication of Giants for all races)
      Over the next 10 months we will endeavour to build and paint up new units values at their base cost, weapons and command upgrades will count towards the 2,000 points but not ‘invisible’ upgrades such as wizard levels. The end of which should be a small gaming day in the UK for some games we will also cover/document on here.
      We would love to see you follow along and take up a project of your own alongside us, so we are not alone in filling and emptying our painting trays.

      Our seven hobby hero’s foolish enough to sign up to the measured part of this tale are;
      • Matty P doing a mounted WoDG,
      • Kev S on his new BH force.
      • David B doing a portion of his expansive VS,
      • Luke M doing up some SA,
      • Scott J and his growing DE,
      • Chris S and his ever living VC,
      • Finally myself Tim B doing some HBE.
      • Callum M will be munching through halfling sized EOS.


      You can follow our progress through the tale here on the forum, as well as various social media platforms, and The Paired Weapons podcast. I’ll allow each of the group to introduce themselves and their hobby projects in more detail for you, please support the group as we try to increase the quality of our skills, and our new challenge outputs on these projects.


      What would I have to do to play along?
      Our tale is starting May 1st, and we have until June 30th when period one comes to an end, by which time we should have painted 400 points+ in our commitment.
      Period two will run July & August for another 400 points+.
      Period Three, September and October for 500 points+.
      Period Four, November & December for another 500 points+.
      Leaving Period Five, January and February for the remaining 200 points+ and the completion of our Giant centre pieces.

      Any period can go over the expected points target, but it will not reduce the next period target value, and only models WYSIWYG value counts, so weapon upgrades, command are ok, but not magic banners etc.

      That’s about it for rules/guidelines, the goal is to push ourselves and paint more, and the two month periods are to ensure we are delivering quality over quantity with the allowed time.

      If it sounds like your kind of thing, please join us and share updates as you complete your own projects.
      For more from me : @Enchantedbytim on twitter.

      Milton Keynes, UK

      ETC 2020 :( - Scotland XX Player
      ETC 2019 - Scotland BH Player
      ETC 2018 - Scotland VC Player
      ETC 2017 - Scotland OK Player

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Ironrock ().

    • For my part in the tale I am signing up to do some HBE.

      Something out of my preferred style of rank and file with monstrous unit filler support.
      My usual approach to army look and feel includes lots of time spend on having the basing do the work. So this time round, hands behind the back, basing is going to be as flat as I can make it, so as to put attention onto the models. (gulp)
      Still haven’t finalised a colour scheme to run on this yet, in recent projects I’ve used, Blue & Blue, Red Yellow and Black, Browns, Browns & Black, so I guess it’s time for some more colour, and lighten the palette a little.

      Theme wise, the model range I will be using is from Titan Forge - Dragon Empire, so the approach is a Cathayan/Oriental look and feel. There will be dragons, and statues and magical stuff to paint up, allowing colour and variety to the rank and file soldiers, I think I will take a clean look to the models (no battle damage) and keep a restricted palette to uniform the army, colours still pending however at this stage.
      I am going to work out ways to put some new things into the force if I can, maybe playing with electronics/sounds, but we shall see how that goes. I do love including some freehand, so I need a way to work that into the mix and help out the fact I cannot paint flesh tone to save my life, so there could be warpaint involved.

      For Period One which is May – June I believe I will be painting up;
      20 Citizen Spears with command and a Mage, which fills the required 400 points commitment.

      Image may be hard to see but this is the first stage of many.
      Watch this space and wish me luck, the other six signed up have some impressive brush skills to contend with.
      Files
      • Unbuilt.png

        (262.79 kB, downloaded 14 times, last: )
      For more from me : @Enchantedbytim on twitter.

      Milton Keynes, UK

      ETC 2020 :( - Scotland XX Player
      ETC 2019 - Scotland BH Player
      ETC 2018 - Scotland VC Player
      ETC 2017 - Scotland OK Player
    • Hi all Scott here. I’ll be using this as a kick up the bottom to get my DE odds and sods finished including my long suffering divine altar as well as start a new unit of Dread Judges and get a nice giant done.

      First period for me will be the altar. It’s had a chequered past, it was originally a commission painting but the tyke who did it did a really poor job and I’ve been bodging bits on it here and there for years so I decided to slap undercoat all over it and start from scratch. It’s had an initial highlight by now but the crew are still unpainted. The lads are kindly letting me use it for the first period. I also want to procure a decent model for the avatar part because the big khaine statue that comes with the original set is too static. The new Eltharion model from GeeDubs could work here, Yema knows when it’s released though.

      so 380 points for the altar and I’ll throw in a musician for my auxiliary unit. That’s 415 altogether.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Nemeroth ().

    • ravenheart777 wrote:

      Hmm I'm tempted by this.
      Do we have to pick an army now? If so does it have to be different from what others have picked?
      Hi @ravenheart777,

      It would be great to have you on board!
      No need for your army to be different to any of the others selected. You’ve a couple of weeks to make a choice by either sourcing some great new models or delving into the unpainted pile we all have.

      Hope to see you on board!

      For extra excitement please see my announcement below....
      North West Wargamer
      Background Team Member
      Best Painted TEC 2018
      Team Scotland Player ETC 2020
    • Falgrin wrote:

      Sounds like a lot of fun. Sign me up. I'll be painting up an OK army based on the Titan-Forge KS, but considering the delay in delivery I may miss the very first target and will have to play catch-up.
      Hi @Falgrin,

      Welcome aboard buddy! Great to have you involved. No problem with timescales, catch-up is my natural default setting so I’ll probably be with you!

      Keep an eye out for my exciting announcement below!
      North West Wargamer
      Background Team Member
      Best Painted TEC 2018
      Team Scotland Player ETC 2020
    • WastelandWarrior wrote:

      I’ll keep an eye on this for sure. I’d join in but I don’t have a giant I want to paint and the quality over quantity probably rules me out too ;)
      Hi @WastelandWarrior,

      Nonsense! We can find you a giant to paint! And it would be awesome to have you involved. Plus I owe you a favour or two so climb aboard....

      Also exciting announcement below!
      North West Wargamer
      Background Team Member
      Best Painted TEC 2018
      Team Scotland Player ETC 2020
    • Mattyp wrote:

      WastelandWarrior wrote:

      I’ll keep an eye on this for sure. I’d join in but I don’t have a giant I want to paint and the quality over quantity probably rules me out too ;)
      Hi @WastelandWarrior,
      Nonsense! We can find you a giant to paint! And it would be awesome to have you involved. Plus I owe you a favour or two so climb aboard....

      Also exciting announcement below!
      Come on you tease!
    • Hi everyone, MattyP here,

      I’m going to be working with an all mounted warriors list that is exclusively from the Raging Hero’s range.... don’t tell the wife!

      There’s going to be a display board element and some exciting fog machine type affair so if nothing else it will attract attention, perhaps from the local fire brigade...

      Plus, as an added extra, I’m inviting all participants to attend a select weekend two day mini-tournament at my place at the end of this odyssey. (Drinks not included - I know what you lot are like!) All accommodation and three square feeds on both days (I hope you like my cooking) included - so we can showcase our armies and give them a run out!

      Watch this space...
      North West Wargamer
      Background Team Member
      Best Painted TEC 2018
      Team Scotland Player ETC 2020
    • Mattyp wrote:

      Hi everyone, MattyP here,

      I’m going to be working with an all mounted warriors list that is exclusively from the Raging Hero’s range.... don’t tell the wife!

      There’s going to be a display board element and some exciting fog machine type affair so if nothing else it will attract attention, perhaps from the local fire brigade...

      Plus, as an added extra, I’m inviting all participants to attend a select weekend two day mini-tournament at my place at the end of this odyssey. (Drinks not included - I know what you lot are like!) All accommodation and three square feeds on both days (I hope you like my cooking) included - so we can showcase our armies and give them a run out!

      Watch this space...
      Sounds amazing, count me in good sir! Ive almost finished painting my saurians and had an eye on doing the empire stuff ive got laying around after so this will be a perfect way to press myself through a second army this year
      Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

      Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

      WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019

      WastelandWarrior Painting League 2020
    • WastelandWarrior wrote:

      Mattyp wrote:

      Hi everyone, MattyP here,

      I’m going to be working with an all mounted warriors list that is exclusively from the Raging Hero’s range.... don’t tell the wife!

      There’s going to be a display board element and some exciting fog machine type affair so if nothing else it will attract attention, perhaps from the local fire brigade...

      Plus, as an added extra, I’m inviting all participants to attend a select weekend two day mini-tournament at my place at the end of this odyssey. (Drinks not included - I know what you lot are like!) All accommodation and three square feeds on both days (I hope you like my cooking) included - so we can showcase our armies and give them a run out!

      Watch this space...
      Sounds amazing, count me in good sir! Ive almost finished painting my saurians and had an eye on doing the empire stuff ive got laying around after so this will be a perfect way to press myself through a second army this year
      That’s great news. Can’t wait to see it. Btw We need a game soon. :)
      North West Wargamer
      Background Team Member
      Best Painted TEC 2018
      Team Scotland Player ETC 2020
    • Mattyp wrote:

      Hi everyone, MattyP here,

      I’m going to be working with an all mounted warriors list that is exclusively from the Raging Hero’s range.... don’t tell the wife!

      There’s going to be a display board element and some exciting fog machine type affair so if nothing else it will attract attention, perhaps from the local fire brigade...

      Plus, as an added extra, I’m inviting all participants to attend a select weekend two day mini-tournament at my place at the end of this odyssey. (Drinks not included - I know what you lot are like!) All accommodation and three square feeds on both days (I hope you like my cooking) included - so we can showcase our armies and give them a run out!

      Watch this space...
      Sounds great guys!
      No idea what I'm going to do.
      Should I add to an existing army or start a completely new one?

      It will depend on when it is but I'd certainly be up for it.
    • Ironrock wrote:

      Please allow me to welcome you to “A Tale of Slow Painters”.

      Firstly, we encourage your participation to join us, as we a group of 7 war-gaming painters embark on new projects to push ourselves and try out new things in a measured format where we have the “kick up the ass” needed to complete the project to time.

      What is “A Tale of Slow Painters”?
      It’s a project for to complete 2,000 points of 9thAge armies and an additional free Giant. (Thanks to the recent publication of Giants for all races)
      Over the next 10 months we will endeavour to build and paint up new units values at their base cost, weapons and command upgrades will count towards the 2,000 points but not ‘invisible’ upgrades such as wizard levels. The end of which should be a small gaming day in the UK for some games we will also cover/document on here.
      We would love to see you follow along and take up a project of your own alongside us, so we are not alone in filling and emptying our painting trays.

      Our seven hobby hero’s foolish enough to sign up to the measured part of this tale are;
      • Matty P doing a mounted WoDG,
      • Kev S on his new BH force.
      • David B doing a portion of his expansive VS,
      • Luke M doing up some SA,
      • Scott J and his growing DE,
      • Chris S and his ever living VC,
      • Finally myself Tim B doing some HBE.


      You can follow our progress through the tale here on the forum, as well as various social media platforms, and The Paired Weapons podcast. I’ll allow each of the group to introduce themselves and their hobby projects in more detail for you, please support the group as we try to increase the quality of our skills, and our new challenge outputs on these projects.


      What would I have to do to play along?
      Our tale is starting May 1st, and we have until June 30th when period one comes to an end, by which time we should have painted 400 points+ in our commitment.
      Period two will run July & August for another 400 points+.
      Period Three, September and October for 500 points+.
      Period Four, November & December for another 500 points+.
      Leaving Period Five, January and February for the remaining 200 points+ and the completion of our Giant centre pieces.

      Any period can go over the expected points target, but it will not reduce the next period target value, and only models WYSIWYG value counts, so weapon upgrades, command are ok, but not magic banners etc.

      That’s about it for rules/guidelines, the goal is to push ourselves and paint more, and the two month periods are to ensure we are delivering quality over quantity with the allowed time.

      If it sounds like your kind of thing, please join us and share updates as you complete your own projects.

      Last question hopefully.
      Just a bit of clarification for the giant.
      Am I correct in assuming it's the giants in the giant supplement if your chosen army doesnt have them normally, and the giants in your army book if they do?
      Also can the free giant come with any upgrades?
    • Hi guys,

      Sorry to confirm if you want to join in on this progressive tale., good to see some additional interest on this campaign.

      Your chosen project does not have to be a new army, it can be a new segment of an existing collection.
      We just want to record 2,000 points of painting along the tale, plus a giant.

      For us committed to the project core, we are doing a standalone legal 2,000 point army, as we hope to conclude the tale with a gaming weekend using our forces.

      The free giant is exactly that, completely free no matter it's upgrade, as per the supplement if your chosen army doesn't have access to a regular giant you gain access to one of the supplement ones.

      Cheers,
      For more from me : @Enchantedbytim on twitter.

      Milton Keynes, UK

      ETC 2020 :( - Scotland XX Player
      ETC 2019 - Scotland BH Player
      ETC 2018 - Scotland VC Player
      ETC 2017 - Scotland OK Player