Pinned Typos and errata in Background - REPORT HERE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Legendary armybook for Warrior of the Dark Gods:
    • Section Chariots, page 35, last paragraph:
      • The name Kupash inspires much fear in the Naptan people, and much discussion has followed about who or what that is. From the descriptions I have found across multiple sources, I feel it is unlikely to be anything but the Naptaan name for Vanadra.*
    In the same paragraph, you write Naptan with one and two 'a'. For reference, throughout the whole section, it was always used with just one 'a', Naptan. Probably @Scottish Knight, @kisanis and @GigaFuzz.

Goblin Lunatic

Translation - ES

• This one is kind of "creaking" me, so it's more of a confirmation from @Scottish Knight, @kisanis and @GigaFuzz.
    Legendary armybook for Warrior of the Dark Gods:
    • Section Battleshrine, page 52, 4th paragraph. Isn't "von" supposed to be in small letters?:
      • an experienced Marshall by the name of Von von Hodenstant
    Every time I have seen this kind of surnames, in Dutch, German, Spanish, Italian, French... the connector is never capitalised. So in this case, I was expecting "von Hodenstant". Is this desired? The whole text still uses "Von Hodenstant".

As an example, Otto von Bismarck.

Goblin Lunatic

Translation - ES

• Arturiki wrote:

Perhaps it's because I am not native, but it is still off to me like that for 2 reasons. The first one, is that "at the start" is already referring to a past moment, and "the Wasteland was somewhat larger", in past tense too, does also not seem to go along "think" in present tense.

So, do I just delete this one from the OP list?
    It's people in the present, speculating that in the past the Wasteland was larger. It may be conversational, but the tense shifts make sense to me, so I would remove it from the list.

Arturiki wrote:

Section Chariots, page 35, last paragraph:

The name Kupash inspires much fear in the Naptan people, and much discussion has followed about who or what that is. From the descriptions I have found across multiple sources, I feel it is unlikely to be anything but the Naptaan name for Vanadra.*
    In the same paragraph, you write Naptan with one and two 'a'. For reference, throughout the whole section, it was always used with just one 'a', Naptan. Probably @Scottish Knight, @kisanis and @GigaFuzz.
    I believe there is a distinction between Naptaan and Naptan, but it's been too long since it was explained to me! @Niedfaru - do you recall this?

Arturiki wrote:

This one is kind of "creaking" me, so it's more of a confirmation from @Scottish Knight, @kisanis and @GigaFuzz.

Section Battleshrine, page 52, 4th paragraph. Isn't "von" supposed to be in small letters?:

an experienced Marshall by the name of Von von Hodenstant
    Every time I have seen this kind of surnames, in Dutch, German, Spanish, Italian, French... the connector is never capitalised. So in this case, I was expecting "von Hodenstant". Is this desired? The whole text still uses "Von Hodenstant".

As an example, Otto von Bismarck.
    I think that's right, small v makes sense.

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

Team Scotland ETC 2019 Captain

"No Timmy, you can't just copy what Lancelot did." Shlagrabak: "Sometimes no post is the best post."
  • Scottish Knight wrote:

I believe there is a distinction between Naptaan and Naptan, but it's been too long since it was explained to me! @Niedfaru - do you recall this?
    If a recall correctly one is an adjective and the other is a noun. I just need to find out which is which. Though the one spelled the same as the river is the noun.

Advisory Board

Background Team

DE LAB TT

THE SAUCY QUILL INN
  • Giladis wrote:

Scottish Knight wrote:

If a recall correctly one is an adjective and the other is a noun. I just need to find out which is which. Though the one spelled the same as the river is the noun.
    clear as mud
    ;)

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Giladis wrote:

Scottish Knight wrote:

I checked in the multilingual spreadhseet and noun and adjective are with double 'a', and according to
    Clarification of Background for Translation they both mean the same: relative to Naptesh.

Goblin Lunatic

Translation - ES

• "Naptaan" is the native Naptaan version. "Naptan" is how it often written by Vetians because it happens to sound similar to the original and fits with their own linguistics biases.

Ach, no it's more complicated than that. Actually, the language is Naptaan, the demonym and genitive form is Nempat. But, the fact the Vetians regularly write Naptan instead should be proof enough that the regular get it wrong.

Background Team

Prophet of Pavements

The post was edited 1 time, last by Niedfaru ().

• Arturiki wrote:

• Legendary armybook for Daemon Legions:
      1. Section Blazing Glories, dates on subtitles:
        • Tandemtar 11th.
        • Ullor 6th.
        • Ullor 10th.
        • Ullor 25th.

Sorry, going back a bit here, but I'm not familiar enough with the in-fiction calendar, so can I just check what the correct names of these months should be? The current book has both Tandemtar and Tandemar. Is Ullor the correct spelling, or the wrong one?

Layout Team

• Arturiki wrote:

@Scottish Knight and @kisanis, about LAB WDG.

Section Chimera, in general. Sometimes you "Sir" is used, sometimes "sir". You should agree on one.
    Shouldn't be capitalised here.

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

"No Timmy, you can't just copy what Lancelot did." Shlagrabak: "Sometimes no post is the best post."
  • Beware of the Chimera section because we had two versions.

Within the spoiler you'll find the discarded one (different names, capitalisation, and more):

Display Spoiler

The Empire VS Sgt Ezekiel Melksham (Empire Court Martial Reports 962AS)

Me and the lads, we were out on patrol, along the North-Eastern Highway, heading towards Vollergrad and the border. Twelve of us in all. It

was that young Lieutenant Krakov that we were with, his first solo command I understand.

To be honest, none of us really wanted to be there you know how it is. The weather was awful; fog so thick you could barely see more than a few yards ahead of you and rain that soaked you to the bone. We had been on the road for over a week and were looking forward to reaching the tavern in Gozlow to be sure.

It was about halfway between Seelow and Gozlow that we stumbled across them, although it’s hard to be sure of due to that damned fog. Now I have seen a lot of things Sir, including my fair share of battlefields. Nothing like this before though. Judging by the wagons, it must have been a merchant caravan, though from where we didn’t know. Not enough left to tell, you see. Caravans tend to run heavily armed in those parts, what with the bandits and all, and I can’t imagine these fellows were any exception. Anyway, first we knew of it all was a shout from Jenkins. The poor bastard had drawn the short straw and was the outrider that day; bugger was scared half to death, if you will excuse my coarseness Sir.

We figured initially that it must have been bandits, as some wagons were overturned, others ransacked, as if someone was searching for something, but the bodies... Still gives me nightmares. We reckon there must have been thirteen in all , but we couldn’t be totally sure. They had been torn limb from bloody limb. Literally. Some of the parts were spread pretty far out and the Lieutenant did not want us ranging too wide, in case whoever did it was still out there.

We gathered what human remains we could and Lieutenant Krakov had us dig a grave for them by the side of the road. Not much else we could do, you know? Heinrich our tracker said that whatever did it must have been ‘big’, based on a series of large prints he had found, but couldn’t point towards what it may have been. He swore blind that there were no tracks leaving the site, and the fog made it impossible to go hunting. Eventually the Lieutenant ordered us to continue our journey, although he did send Corporal Ashton back the way we had come, with instructions to inform the nearest way station of the raid.

Just before nightfall we reached Gozlow, and the Lusty Goose tavern. The fog had just started to lift when we stabled the horses and I ordered Frazer, Peters and Norris to rub the animals down and get them fed. The rest of us went to get some food, and a drink too; I think we had all earned it, especially Jenkins; he was still white as a sheet. The Lieutenant went to supervise the care of the horses – said he couldn’t rest until he had seen all the tasks completed.

An hour later there was a loud crash, followed by commotion outside. At first, I thought it must have been someone tipping a wagon, but then I heard it. A roar, like no sound I have ever heard before; a call that chilled us to the bone. We snatched up our weapons and raced outside, ready (or so we thought), to confront whatever had entered the village. Now Sir, I have fought many foes over the years

Men, orcs, ogres, even the dead, but I swear to Sunna that I have never seen, nor heard of anything like what greeted us outside before. I can’t even describe it. Whatever the horror was, it was as if some madman had melded several beasts into one vile form. It must have been the size of a griffon, and honest to Sunna Sir, it had three heads one each of lion, drake and of all things a goat. I know it sounds odd, but I think it was that which shocked me most the madness and hatred in the eyes of a beast as harmless as a common farm animal just served to highlight how wrong it was. Its flanks were covered in scales and its wings... like a bat, Sir. Upon its back rode a figure, a woman clad in red plate with a full faced helm and gauntlets of black.

The men from the stables were already in the square, and through the fleeing crowds we saw Norris fire his pistol at the monster, but that only seemed to anger the beast. As he fumbled to reload, quick as a flash the creature turned and pounced on him, ripping and tearing through his breastplate as if it was paper. Frazer and Peters tried to save him – hacked at it with their swords, which simply glanced off its scaled flanks. They were swatted aside by the beast’s tail and gored as they lay stunned on the ground."

The Lieutenant, the brave, stupid fool, begging your pardon sir, drew that fancy sword of his, roared a challenge and charged the beast head on. He barely made two steps. A snakelike neck lashed forward, and teeth closed around his legs, pulling him off his feet. To this day, his screams still haunt me. As for the rider? She just sat there, calling something all the while. I couldn’t quite tell exactly what, but I am sure it was a name. I think she must have been searching for someone. She did not even draw her blade; not that she needed to, Sir.

She sat there and watched as the beast ripped us and the townsfolk apart.

Hang me if you will Sir, but how do you beat that? We tried Sir, I swear to Sunna we tried, but nothing could hurt it. What else could we do? Stand us against any mortal foe, but the sheer wrongness, the sheer ferocity of the beast broke us. Jenkins threw down his sword and ran; Heinrich followed him. I don’t think they made it. The others? Well, they fought and died, Sir. All except me.

Trial adjourned pending decision of the Judge Advocate

—Extract from the Transcript of the Military Trial of Sgt Ekkehard Metzmann: Cowardice, Desertion and Dereliction of Duty
    Full Book Layout - Overall Completion Status
  • @Scottish Knight and @kisanis, about LAB WDG. There are 2 instances were you can read "the the", one in Battleshrine and one in Feldrak Elder and Feldraks.

Also in that last section you find:
    As dawn broke, we climbed into their caves and begun to flush them out
    I believe the tense should be past simple, so began.

Goblin Lunatic

Translation - ES

The post was edited 1 time, last by Arturiki ().

• Good catches - @kisanis, do you have the text for the next version?

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

• Arturiki wrote:

Sat? Past simple of sit? Or is this an old-fashioned version or verb I'm not aware of?
    Should be sat!

Executive Board

Head of Background Team

• LAB for Infernal Dwarves, page 83, chapter 3 of the vocabulary: "idzhur" is translated as "low" but "Gu tetar idzhur" as "The price is too high". Should it not be "Gu tetar idnaz" instead? ("Idnaz" means "high" according to the vocabulary, "tetar" means "price" and "Gu" seems to be some grammatical construct to open sentences.)

LAB for Infernal Dwarves, page 83, chapter 4 of the vocabulary: "meat" is "zadish" but "give me goat meat" is "something something zadNish" - typo or some sort of declination inside of the word?
  • Marchosias wrote:

LAB for Infernal Dwarves, page 83, chapter 3 of the vocabulary: "idzhur" is translated as "low" but "Gu tetar idzhur" as "The price is too high". Should it not be "Gu tetar idnaz" instead? ("Idnaz" means "high" according to the vocabulary, "tetar" means "price" and "Gu" seems to be some grammatical construct to open sentences.)
    Good eye. But this actually correct. I know you'd expect the opposite, but that's how it's said. :D

Marchosias wrote:

LAB for Infernal Dwarves, page 83, chapter 4 of the vocabulary: "meat" is "zadish" but "give me goat meat" is "something something zadNish" - typo or some sort of declination inside of the word?
    This one you're right about. We spotted that typo internally a few hours ago. :oops:

Background Team

Prophet of Pavements

• @Scottish Knight, @kisanis and anytbody involved in WDG LAB. I realised that the text Warhounds starts with "Your Excellency" but doesn't end in the classic "Your faithful servant...". Then, the chapter Feldrak Ancestor comes, and this one is kind of a continuation of the chapter before, since it does not start with "Your Excellency" nor ends in "Your faithful servant...". Then 2 different chapters come, nor related to the main story of the book, and after that, Hell Maw does continue the story from Feldrak Ancestor, not starting with "Your Excellency" but this time ending in "Your faithful servant...".

I bet this was planned, but it strikes me that every single chapter from Lord Ilarion does start and end exactly with the same words, but not these 3 chapters. Possible bug or is it a feature?

Goblin Lunatic

Translation - ES

• Arturiki wrote:

I bet this was planned, but it strikes me that every single chapter from Lord Ilarion does start and end exactly with the same words, but not these 3 chapters. Possible bug or is it a feature?
    I think it was probably due to space/repetition avoidance - the Your Excellency line links them together and makes it clear that they are part of the narrative, without needing anything else.

Executive Board

Head of Background Team