The Faith: Kingdoms of Equitaine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• New

I don't believe there is anything stopping you from simply giving the Castellan entry the Character and Not a Leader special rules. Not a Leader is already applied to War Platforms (as they are characters and could therefore be chosen as a general without the addition of Not a Leader), and character is obviously not exclusive to the Characters category in the Army Books - they simply share a name.

Regarding piling multiple Castallens into a single Peasant Unit to create a poor man's death star you can give them a "A Shepherd and its Flock" style rule preventing this, maybe relating to that Castellan being the overseer for that group of peasants?

The other drawback to War Platform is that it forces you to place the Castellan at the exact front and centre of the unit. Considering the potential number of rules this unit could be designed to fulfil for improving our unwashed masses, this is extremely limiting.

As a side note, I'd still love to see a way of putting together a revolution style Equitaine army with an upstart Castellan at it's head.
    • New

Wes456123 wrote:

I don't believe there is anything stopping you from simply giving the Castellan entry the Character and Not a Leader special rules. Not a Leader is already applied to War Platforms (as they are characters and could therefore be chosen as a general without the addition of Not a Leader), and character is obviously not exclusive to the Characters category in the Army Books - they simply share a name.

Regarding piling multiple Castallens into a single Peasant Unit to create a poor man's death star you can give them a "A Shepherd and its Flock" style rule preventing this, maybe relating to that Castellan being the overseer for that group of peasants? I have begun to consider that concentrating all of the possible leadership available to peasants into a single unit may not make sense in terms of background.

The other drawback to War Platform is that it forces you to place the Castellan at the exact front and centre of the unit. Considering the potential number of rules this unit could be designed to fulfil for improving our unwashed masses, this is extremely limiting.

As a side note, I'd still love to see a way of putting together a revolution style Equitaine army with an upstart Castellan at it's head. Several have asked for this as an Auxilarly book.
      Wes,

Unfortunatly as reasonable as your points and arguments are, I find that the Basic Rule Book doesn't support giving Character as a Universal Rule. We have five means of creating a unit which can join other units.

1. Character. This is only available to models purchased in the character section Could solve for vulnerability by allowing multiple castellan's in the same unit, or Stand Behind. Costs Character points and thus there is a high likelyhood that a peasant buffing character would not see use.

2. War Platform. This is a soecial rule which modifies the normal Character rules. Issues of vulnerability due to being the front and center. Limited to one per unit, which conflicts with adding Castellan and Sacred Reliquary to the same unit.

3. Single unit upgrade. example = Caiman or Scraplings. I call this the special unit champion solution. I know there are KoE players that want every KoE unit to include a special champion ooption. I find this to cause issues regarding point investment and vulnerability to challenges and sniping. Each entry requires multiple special rules, and there is always a call to make the champion less vulnerable. (Which is the situation with War Platform). Other disadvantage is that this can only work one unit at a time. See the Peasant Crusaders and Sacred Reliquary unit entries for an example. That unit requires a special rule which reverts all wounds to R&F or it wouldn't work. Adding multiple special units champions consumes major portions of both Unit Entry cap and special rules. If expanded on for peasants, it would make little sense not to be a feature of knights and a major feature of the book. I think that special champions as a KoE mechanic would require cutting units from our book's current total. Also, vulnerability would be an issue and requires a special rule in the unit to specifically address it.

4. Equipment upgrade. example = Mad Gits. Issues - This requires making several special rules. It shares many aspects of making a Special Army Rule as discused below.

5. Army Book Special Rule. Issues - consumes a great deal of complexity within the book. Is best used as an Army Special Rule to affect multiple units. I find that using the KoE army's complexity budget is better done in different ways. I have used this method before, but find that I want to cut it from the top of the book to include more important rules. I don't believe I will be able to include such a special rule for as long as I need a rule to make 2-handed weapon users work in KoE. Could solve for vulnerability by allowing multiple castellan's in the same unit, or Stand Behind.

I think the best two solutions are using the established rules of War Platform, or making an Army Wide Special Rule which mimics War Platform with out the front and center downside.

I have come to prefer using War Platform most, because I find the limitations appropriate for a leader of peasants and the rest of the units involved. I like that I do not have to use any of the KoE book's possible complexity on developing a rule only slightly different from the BRB. I think there would always be something better to create which gives more possibilities for army design. I used to use a special rule, because it hadn't occured to me that I could just give a 20x20 model the War Platform rule.

One issue remiaining might be, that a single model on a 20x20 base still doesn't "feel" like a War Platform as a result of being so small. I have been thinking it might be nice to further develop the unit into more of a retinue, so that it feels like a "group" of Retainers leading the peasants. Possible to include: Castellan, Master-at-Arms, Sherrif, Bailif, Reeve, etc.