Morrigan's painting league 2020

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• Morrigan's painting league 2020

I've always been more of a forum lurker than a poster, but since our gaming clubs have all closed I need some other outlets other than purely painting to scratch my hobby-itch. Don't know how regularly I manage to post, but I'll try to take pictures of the stuff I paint during the year. I've already painted around 4k points of ogres this year, but currently I'm working on my Empire force to fill out the gaps of missing units.

I've never been keen on taking photos, so they'll probably be quite horrible, but there you are. I paint mostly to tabletop standard, especially with my EoS, since I want to get my forces up and running. I also like to invent a little background for my forces, so for my own interest I post snippets of it here, mainly so I have a excuse not to change it multiple times a day. :P

Anyway, here are some halberdiers I painted during the last week or so. I had 10 of them ready beforehand, which I painted around a year ago, so they have a bit different colors when compared to the new. the aSoIaF guys were lovely to paint, but the MoM halberdiers had so many moulding issuses that I almost gave up on them. X/

Halberdiers1-small.jpgHalberdiers2-small.jpgHalberdiers3-small.jpgHalberdiers4-small.jpg

Pretty happy how they turned out. The movement tray is wrong, it is from my ogres, because I don't have a right sized one at the moment.

Next on the line are some Imperial guards with shields. Hopefully I can post them soon.

-Morrigan

Ps. I fought tooth and nail to upload these images here, anyone have a foolproof way to upload images easily?
    • Managed to paint the first bunch of Imperial guards with shields. The plumes of the helmets are a bit lazy, just blue + drybrush of white + wash. Otherwise I'm quite happy with them.

ShieldGuard1-small.jpgShieldGuard2-small.jpg

The faces lack a lot of detail, and are a bit repeating, because there are only 3 (or 4?) different sculpts used, and they all have the same helmet and face, just with a mouth open or a visor down. So I made some simple headswaps for the rest of the unit, to break monotony.

Headswaps-small.jpg

Still got a lot of these guys to paint. After that I have to paint something other than massed infantry to retain my sanity.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Morrigan ().

• well done, Morrigan! happy that you chose to upgrade your status from lurker to creator : )
      i really like your blocks. what's the plan? big unit of halberds, big unit of sword IGs,...?
      i also look forward to reading your fluff snippets, especially since in these i'm working with some forum friends on an EoS escalation campaign.

as for pictures, my suggestion is to upload them to your own gallery in this forum (accessible by clicking on Gallery just below the sword&seal banner, and then on Upload images). then take the share link from the newly created item into your post. it might also help you solve the issue of negative points, which is seriously getting out of hand. @tiny, have you noticed how the first post has a *negative* count of likes?!

anyway, back to the topic - i'd love to see a direct side-to-side comparison of the ASoIaF and MoM miniatures (i'm not too familiar with their ranges).

• piteglio wrote:

well done, Morrigan! happy that you chose to upgrade your status from lurker to creator : )
      i really like your blocks. what's the plan? big unit of halberds, big unit of sword IGs,...?
      i also look forward to reading your fluff snippets, especially since in these i'm working with some forum friends on an EoS escalation campaign.

as for pictures, my suggestion is to upload them to your own gallery in this forum (accessible by clicking on Gallery just below the sword&seal banner, and then on Upload images). then take the share link from the newly created item into your post. it might also help you solve the issue of negative points, which is seriously getting out of hand. @tiny, have you noticed how the first post has a *negative* count of likes?!

anyway, back to the topic - i'd love to see a direct side-to-side comparison of the ASoIaF and MoM miniatures (i'm not too familiar with their ranges).
      Thanks! Never posted my minis anymore before (except whatsapp), so it's new experience for me. My plan is to have pretty much all possible units painted for all of my armies. As for the Empire I'm now missing (since I finished the halberdiers) Imperial guard with shields, reiters with repeater guns, arcane engine (I have an altar, which doubles as an arcane engine, but sometimes I want to wield both) and core knights. Got models for everything, but I want to buy some new knights from Norba's kickstarter, since I only own 5 original winged lancers so far.

Here's a comparison shot for GW, Mom and aSoIaF models. The MoM models are bulky and the aSoIaF models quite lean. Both tower over GW's miniatures, but not too notably.
      Comparison-small.jpg

I need to sit down and write instead of painting at some point, to get the background from my head to the screen! Won't be long, I hope. :) Thanks for the advice with the pictures, too!
    • Morrigan wrote:

Here's a comparison shot for GW, Mom and aSoIaF models. The MoM models are bulky and the aSoIaF models quite lean. Both tower over GW's miniatures, but not too notably.
      I need to sit down and write instead of painting at some point, to get the background from my head to the screen! Won't be long, I hope. :)

well looks like fluff piece #1 could be about how the imperial military system gets new recruits from all parts of the empire: short blackhaired dudes from the south and tall fairskinned warriors from the north! : D

nice comparison picture, i like how the colour scheme takes the attention away from differences in bulkiness and height, great job.

• Managed to get the next bunch of Imperial guard painted. Now with a filler I have 17 of these guys painted, so 13 to go.

Decided to take a small break from painting rnf. I've had the old Tzarina model sitting around for some time, and I don't have a mounted wizard yet, so she'll be up next.

I also promised to post a few snippets of lore for the army, so here's the first part. Feel free to skip if you are only interested in decent pictures.

Logan Möltke wrote:

After covering the sprawling coastal city of Myra in my last article, I will now turn my attention towards more obscure and distant places of interest, and first of these will be the princedom of Ostenwäld. Of all the myriad kingdoms and city states in Vetia, three things make this princedom unique: location, economy and the way it is governed.

Ostenwäld is situated east of Avras, on a narrow inhabitable strip of land. It is bordered in the north by Greenfall bog, to the northeast by the Sea of Gods, to the east and south by the Blasted plains and to the west by the Barren mountains. It has no natural neighbours, the city of Zalaman Tekash to the south and across the Blasted plains being the closest.

The land itself is mountainous. The easternmost fringes of the Barren mountains are very much uninhabitable, but as the land lowers towards the sea deep, forested valleys begin to appear. These valleys are rarely settled by Ostenwäldians, save those that guard the Volskoy pass towards Avras. Instead they are home to roaming tribes of beasts, goblins and orcs that constantly harass the western settlements.

The eastern parts of the princedom are more suitable for human settlement. Mountains and hills make way to huge forests and rocky plains. The coastland is beachy in the south but turns swampy and muddy when traveling north. The land is not easily cultivated, and allows only rudimentary opportunities for farming and cattle keeping.

The land is bordered by two mighty rivers, river Eurust to the south and Widewater in the north, though Ostenwäldians do claim parts of the northern marshes as their territory. Widewater is truly deserving its name, as it is almost as wide as the rivers in Sonnstahl. Its two tributaries run down from the mountains and confluence at their base. It then flows into the lake Möner and from there to the sea. Eurust in the south is not as wide, but it is far deeper and more treacherous, with only a few crossings, and it is more heavily guarded due to the presence of Zalaman Tekash to the south.

There are multiple cities and settlements in Östenwäld, but only four worth mentioning: Drosden, Dromröst, Wälder and Madran. Drosden is the capital city, sitting at the mouth of Widewater. It is Ostenwäld’s port to the sea, and most of the princedom’s trade flow from there. It is thus somewhat cosmopolitan in nature, even if its trade is mostly from Sonnstahl.

Dromröst guards Ostenwäld’s southern border. It is a veritable fortress, built over the best possible crossing over Eurust. It too is a trade city, but it does most of its trade with Zalaman Tekash, and dealings with the infernal dwarves are always questionable affair, thus travelers find the city surrounded by rings of walls and parapets.

Wälder is the easternmost city of Ostenwäld, built in the deep forests of Strigian valley. It guards the main road from Ostenwäld to Avras, and acts as a safe haven for tired travelers.

In the Greenfall bog the Ostenwälders have built the city of Madran. It guards the important gold and copper mines of the northern mountains, and it also acts as a last line of defence against an invasion. Quite the few invading force has lost itself in the bogs and drowned, or been killed by silent arrows in the swamps. Because the only natural riches of Ostenwäld are situated in the very north, it is unfeasible for an invading force to try and annex the southern parts of the princedom without the north.

This is just a brief summary of the general principles of the princedom’s geography. In my next letter I will dive into the economy and military of Ostenwäld.

After covering the sprawling coastal city of Myra in my last article, I will now turn my attention towards more obscure and distant places of interest, and first of these will be the princedom of Ostenwäld. Of all the myriad kingdoms and city states in Vetia, three things make this princedom unique: location, economy and the way it is governed.

Ostenwäld is situated east of Avras, on a narrow inhabitable strip of land. It is bordered in the north by Greenfall bog, to the northeast by the Sea of Gods, to the east and south by the Blasted plains and to the west by the Barren mountains. It has no natural neighbours, the city of Zalaman Tekash to the south and across the Blasted plains being the closest.

The land itself is mountainous. The easternmost fringes of the Barren mountains are very much uninhabitable, but as the land lowers towards the sea deep, forested valleys begin to appear. These valleys are rarely settled by Ostenwäldians, save those that guard the Volskoy pass towards Avras. Instead they are home to roaming tribes of beasts, goblins and orcs that constantly harass the western settlements.

The eastern parts of the princedom are more suitable for human settlement. Mountains and hills make way to huge forests and rocky plains. The coastland is beachy in the south but turns swampy and muddy when traveling north. The land is not easily cultivated, and allows only rudimentary opportunities for farming and cattle keeping.

The land is bordered by two mighty rivers, river Eurust to the south and Widewater in the north, though Ostenwäldians do claim parts of the northern marshes as their territory. Widewater is truly deserving its name, as it is almost as wide as the rivers in Sonnstahl. Its two tributaries run down from the mountains and confluence at their base. It then flows into the lake Möner and from there to the sea. Eurust in the south is not as wide, but it is far deeper and more treacherous, with only a few crossings, and it is more heavily guarded due to the presence of Zalaman Tekash to the south.

There are multiple cities and settlements in Östenwäld, but only four worth mentioning: Drosden, Dromröst, Wälder and Madran. Drosden is the capital city, sitting at the mouth of Widewater. It is Ostenwäld’s port to the sea, and most of the princedom’s trade flow from there. It is thus somewhat cosmopolitan in nature, even if its trade is mostly from Sonnstahl.

Dromröst guards Ostenwäld’s southern border. It is a veritable fortress, built over the best possible crossing over Eurust. It too is a trade city, but it does most of its trade with Zalaman Tekash, and dealings with the infernal dwarves are always questionable affair, thus travelers find the city surrounded by rings of walls and parapets.

Wälder is the easternmost city of Ostenwäld, built in the deep forests of Strigian valley. It guards the main road from Ostenwäld to Avras, and acts as a safe haven for tired travelers.

In the Greenfall bog the Ostenwälders have built the city of Madran. It guards the important gold and copper mines of the northern mountains, and it also acts as a last line of defence against an invasion. Quite the few invading force has lost itself in the bogs and drowned, or been killed by silent arrows in the swamps. Because the only natural riches of Ostenwäld are situated in the very north, it is unfeasible for an invading force to try and annex the southern parts of the princedom without the north.

This is just a brief summary of the general principles of the princedom’s geography. In my next letter I will dive into the economy and military of Ostenwäld.

Logan Mötlke, from “Small but notable kingdoms in Vetia”, published as a series in the paper “Vetia’s tomorrow”.

• Took some time off from painting the Imperial guard and worked on my backlog. I'm still crappy at taking pictures, but hopefully you can get some semblance out of them.

Pretty happy how the Tsarina turned out, not wholly with Gelt and hot pot, but they are good enough. I did deepen the shadows between Gelt's fingers after taking the pictures, because the hand seemed too flat to me.

As always, critique and comments are more than welcome!
    • More night-shifts, more time to paint. The imperial guard are now finished, next up I'll paint either some reiters or random backlogs minis. :)

Pretty happy with how the unit turned out, last minute change was the colour of their plumes from blue to yellow to limit the colour palette. They are a bit tall, but it is not too noticeable on the battlefield.
    • Thanks for the comments guys. :)

Managed to finish a couple of reiters. Had a bunch of old knights lying around and old reiter parts from my pistol wielding reiters.

"

The knights and horses had old paintjobs, which I couldn't be bothered to remove. I'm also slowly turning away from my old green/white color scheme and more and more into black and yellow one. Hopefully they still fit within the army.
    • piteglio wrote:

i'm not used to seeing heavily armoured reiters, i like the change!
      also, your "old" green/white minis still had plenty of black/yellow (feathers, armour, banners), so i'm sure that the mixing is going to be a success!
      Thanks. :) I mainly used what horses I had available, glad to hear it worked.

Most of my old army has no black or yellow. It's a force I started painting around four years ago, and I began using blacks and yellows around a year and a half ago. But yeah, hopefully they don't look too ununified on the field.
    • Last few weeks have been really busy for me, so I haven't had enough time to paint. But I did manage to paint two tuskers for my ogres. Still need two more painted for a funky hunter list which I'd like to try.

For some reason the riders don't really fit the mounts, which is annoying.

I also painted a few fillers, a couple of crossbowmen and the last 5 reiters for the Empire, but they are already packed and there's really nothing too special about them.

Hopefully I get to take pictures of my full painted forces when I unpack them.
    • Last little bunch of stuff I managed to squeeze time to paint before packing everything up for the move. Painting scraplings is not my favorite past time, but I've made a system that whenever I paint something bigger for ogres I paint 10 scraplings. Got 70 of these guys painted with that method so far, something like 30 still to go.