T9A @ Spiel 2020

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• T9A @ Spiel 2020

dear all,
    i just received the message below from the organisers of the Spiel Essen convention.
    Spiel is probably the largest event worldwide for boardgaming (200.000 visitors last year).
    for those of you who missed the original posts last autumn, here's a few pictures from the event, where i got to spend some time with visitors, colleagues from big miniature companies, and friends from our forum (including @Blonde Beer, @Little Joe, @Frederick, @DJWoodelf, @Chack, @Emanuele Alessandri, @Darock, @teclis2000 and more).

this year the convention will take place in digital format, which opens great PR opportunities for T9A.
    i intend to participate as Veil of the Ages but, just like last year, i am happy to coordinate more general T9A promotion.
    if you are a T9A player, youtuber, club manager, or miniature company interested in contributing, let me know.
    this is a huge chance for us, we should definitely seize it.
    cheers,
    f

Display Spoiler

Spiel wrote:

Dear exhibitors, dear game publishers,

after we unfortunately had to cancel SPIEL in Essen for this year, we would like to offer all publishers a useful alternative.

Therefore, we will be holding SPIEL.digital from October 22nd to 25th 2020, an online trade fair at which publishers can present their new products to a wide audience shortly before Christmas. In addition, we are working on solutions that make sales possible. A large supporting programme with panels, livestreams and many other attractions is also planned. We will also try to implement a "business area".

We believe that a platform like SPIEL.digital will be urgently needed in these times, in order to enable the industry to present its new releases in one central location despite the cancellation of SPIEL. After all, consumers don't want to miss "their" SPIEL and want to be informed about the publishers' new products in one place without having to click through hundreds of publishers' websites.

Initial announcements by SPIEL.digital via our social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram already show how overwhelmingly great the interest in such a format is.

We hope we can inspire you with this idea. Because the more publishers that are going to underline their digital presence with many creative ideas, the more colourful and exciting it will be for all SPIELers.

We will be happy to keep you up to date and will send you the registration forms with further details and prices by the end of July or early August at the latest. The registration forms also offer attractive opportunities for small publishers to showcase themselves on this platform.

Will you be there when it's time for the first SPIEL.digital? Of course we are already looking forward to receiving initial feedback regarding your expected participation.

• An interesting concept with a clear focus on making profit. Which is not a bad thing as it means they must meet needs of "publishers" to even hope to attract them.

It would need more information and I hope they go 24-7 to create an international reach.
  • :bag: Calling me?

Wondering if we could reintegrate @piteglio inside T9A team.
    @piteglio, Would it be acceptable for you to duplicate your presence, both as Veil of Ages, and as T9A official?
    Our previous stance of hard divide between team and business has been softened recently for people out of top management.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • What was the level of experience/knowledge of the general crowd last year? I'd imagine that in this kind of event, saying something like "spiritual successor to Warhammer Fantasy" would be enough to get the message across effectively in a single sentence. Basically, if you were ever interested in that thing you already know, you will probably like our thing.
    My wife and I just released our first video game title!
  • Hombre de Mundo wrote:

What was the level of experience/knowledge of the general crowd last year? I'd imagine that in this kind of event, saying something like "spiritual successor to Warhammer Fantasy" would be enough to get the message across effectively in a single sentence. Basically, if you were ever interested in that thing you already know, you will probably like our thing.

you find people from all backgrounds, from ex GW employees to young kids born just a bit before the End Times. the communication strategy you mentioned works very well for a subset of the audience. the challenge lies in showcasing our appeal to a larger crowd, since the event is about boardgaming rather than wargaming.

Calisson wrote:

Wondering if we could reintegrate @piteglio inside T9A team.
    @piteglio, Would it be acceptable for you to duplicate your presence, both as Veil of Ages, and as T9A official?
    Our previous stance of hard divide between team and business has been softened recently for people out of top management.

thanks for the suggestion - that would definitely be possible, since i finally wrapped up some longstanding projects and now have a few extra free time i could devote to T9A staff tasks. i will contact you and discuss specific and implementable ideas.

• Hombre de Mundo wrote:

What was the level of experience/knowledge of the general crowd last year? I'd imagine that in this kind of event, saying something like "spiritual successor to Warhammer Fantasy" would be enough to get the message across effectively in a single sentence. Basically, if you were ever interested in that thing you already know, you will probably like our thing.
    New players (children or younger booth guests) were most open to learning T9A basics. This was excellent to get parent child interaction which was received rather well.

For interested people that at some point played WHFB, miniatures did more than words. Especially the old plastic skinks were hot. Nostalgia was what got them to stop, miniatures got them talking (I have those) and the full color rulebook @Blonde Beer provided in combination with very useful stat cards of the arena game gave us something to show changes and get them interested.

Many passing by where in a rush to secure some deals first.

EDIT: Without knowing anything of how this will work, a safe bet would be to have people ready to play on UB2 and TTS to directly show and interact with interested people. No idea how to do that. Things like a discord chat or an open forum to directly support efforts on a digital fair can help to secure any efforts are followed up to keep attention locked in. Essentially firing on all cylinders in the digital world, maybe run a virtual ETC tournament.
    The front page and army sections must be as polished as we can get them, a few things should go bling bling. Have some easy and fast links to refer to that sparkle.
    Get the community involved by running our own meet&greet or panel discussions on many ongoing topics, take the chance to open up and show some legs. :D

EDIT 2: I doubt that the SPIEL.digital will offer much to small companies, so at best we buy an entry door to what we can run online to extend it all.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Little Joe ().

• tnx for the feedback. i think that PR support from people like @Ghiznuk and @Ironclad will make a big difference. T9A might seem "small" when compared to other commercial companies out there, but if we manage to harness the power of our online community, SPIEL.digital could really be our best chance at getting our name out more forcefully.

i think it's still too early to make concrete plans. i'll let you know as soon as i know more, which (as you've seen from the quote above) means probably at least another couple months. in the meantime, i'm happy to brainstorm with you all. first things first: the convention usually takes place in late october. we should keep this in mind for things like the Scroll - @Henrypmiller, that means that the issues of July and September (and possibly a preview of November) could already be put together thinking of SPIEL-related promotion. specifically, we could emphasise art, miniatures, fluff, beginner-friendly batreps, introductory tactics articles, and some good old high level gaming too, of course.

this also means we'll have 4 or 5 months to build a team of volunteers who can fire up their webcams and do streams on a variety of topics, from hobbying (painting, kitbashing, terrainmaking) to introductory games. i for one will do my best to prepare a good interface for teaching the game online, for example with dedicated TTS mods. as @Little Joe said, a virtual team tournament would be a great thing as well. not sure who should contribute to the "show some legs" part, but i'm sure we'll find some qualified volunteers for that as well.

i will keep you posted as i myself find out more. at the moment, there's simply no further news to be shared. in the meantime, it'd be great if you could manifest your intention of helping out / provide ideas on what could be done (thank you to all who already did so). i will gladly collect and linearise and structure all the ideas as we collect in this thread, so please keep them coming.

• Ironclad wrote:

We should try to find someone that could do a filmed battlerep like mini war gaming of a small game or a quick start game.
    Probably hard since it requires skills in editing but well worth it if we could pull it of.

yes - and luckily there is indeed people who do great editing work for their T9A youtube channel (first that comes to mind is Blackwood, not sure about his forum name). do you think it's best to have a batrep with footage of the game being played, or with pitctures only?

• Ironclad wrote:

The best battle reports to catch new people is a movie not pictures and talking. Most t9a battle reports is to tactical and you have to understand the game to enjoy them. For outsiders I think dice rolls and actually moving is important and live sound where the players are having fun.

i agree, even if the tradeoff between clarity and length is always a bit tricky.
    i could easily make a videogame batrep, but i'm not sure it'll speak to the hearts of boardgamers.