Nippon

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• There is not even an official Japan country in our setting.
    If there is (see some islands on the map), then it hasn't been named yet nor mentioned in any background article.

And I don't see a reason why Nippon should become official before Koghi or Vanhu.

Russian Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

Public Relations

Linguistic Team

GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • Ghiznuk wrote:

And I don't see a reason why Nippon should become official before Koghi or Vanhu.

probably because, and GB said,

Grouchy Badger wrote:

This is the most fleshed out homebrew book we have

looking at numbers (# of replies in homebrew section) is admittedly a bad criterion on its own, but it's a good place to start:
    Koghi, Vanhu and all of Africa: ~500
    "Nippon": ~1600

so it'd be nice to consider this option in a structured way. do we have a process for canonisation of homebrews? for example, if we propose it as supplement (see @Rellzed post above), does it have to be linked to an existing FULL armybook (like WD and DL)? if not, do we need to liaise with the relevant parent faction ACS? is it enough to get the qualified opinion of Playtesting? @Calisson, a while back you made a very useful synopsis post on what had been done by the community - do you also know something about the "canonisation" process?

in my opinion, the book by @Caledoriv is in an excellent spot. the only thing it needs in an urgent way is... a better name : )

• Indeed Nippon is a very high quality Homebrew, and this has been recognized by top management long ago.
    If ever we consider some Homebrew AB to be incorporated as official (most likely not as an 18th faction but as a Supplement, at a similar level as Askland), I believe that this one will be high in priority. If ever...
    However, before this happens, there are obstacles to pass.

Whenever we make anything official, it means several things:
    1. the document has to follow T9A management directives; there is no author anymore able to claim ownership, even if the original author is acknowledged;
    2. the background is "canon", i.e. official and won't ever be "retconned";
    3. the document must follow standardized layout and stylistic guidelines; including artwork for the cover and the logo;
    4. rules have been checked for consistency; even if it is not balanced for tournaments, the power level is reasonably balanced;
    5. model ranges exist;
    6. someone is in charge of it; the community can discuss it with that person;
    7. T9A will commit in the foreseeable future to maintain the document, across future rules or layout adaptations.
    I may miss a couple of constraints that the project will self-inflict if it makes the Homebrew to become an official supplement.

The good news is that top management is now open to investigate the possibility of having a standard procedure for incorporating some selected Homebrew into official documents.
    Whether this openness will result in effective procedure, nobody knows yet. Whether Nippon will be among the first considered Homebrew is pure speculation at this stage. Suffice to say that I am quite optimistic on these two possibilities, but I am optimistic by nature.

-=-
    Illustration of point 1, it depends only on @Caledoriv to accept to release control over his baby or to keep it.

If I may provide an illustration of point 2., here it would be:
    Nippon is not an acceptable name for T9A management, being both a real historic name and a name used by Warhammer.
    However, there is no way the Homebrew authors can guess what would be an acceptable T9A name. Sometimes, non-faction names are known (Koghi, Vanhu, Sagarikadesha), sometimes Homebrew picks up mistakenly a name for which the BG team has different ideas (Kegiz Gavem).
    If ever Nippon Homebrew would be adapted as an official supplement, a new name would be adopted.
    That name has been been discussed internally.
    It would probably be "Osashima" for the archipelago, which means "Great Land of a Thousand Islands".
    The name of one main faction there could be "Tojiko", meaning "Eastern Island".
    Some story would need to be written.

Hoping it clarifies.
    See also Nippon for T9A

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • If such a procedure becomes a reality the authors of the Homebrew should be acutely aware their works are bound to be significantly altered by the BGT in order to fit the T9A setting the Project has been developing for almost 5 years now. It should also be noted that more detailed the work is the higher the chance it will require extensive overhauls. :)

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

Team Croatia ETC 2019 Captain ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HEROES AND VILLEINS OF THE 9TH AGE
  • Calisson wrote:

It would probably be "Osashima" for the archipelago, which means "Great Land of a Thousand Islands".
    I like the idea of a unique name that ties back to Japanese heritage and describes the place.

Grouchy Badger wrote:

This is the most fleshed out homebrew book we have. Why aint it official yet? Been years now it seems like.
    Yes! I would love to see this book become official, a supplement or an army extension for EoS much like Terracotta is for UD. My preference would be a supplement book first, then a possible advancement to full army book at some point.
    ~Good Cheer to All~
    Larry

:VC: Nosferatu :UD_bw: Terracotta Army
  • Warchariot wrote:

a supplement or an army extension for EoS much like Terracotta is for UD.
    I think there is a huge difference between a supplement like Asklander or Cultists and the Terracotta option for UD.
    However: Both are much smaller in scope than a full book, which is the current state of @Caledoriv 's homebrew.

Tool Support Battle Scribe

Community Engagement

My blog with battle reports and painting gallery: bleaklegion.wordpress.com/
  • piteglio wrote:

Ghiznuk wrote:

probably because, and GB said,
    Bend reality to my will or I'll touch your dice and curse them for all time.

However there is a reason: The Nippon book has been in the process of evolution since 2016, and is one of the home brews that have views in the quad digit range. As far as I can remember there has never been a proper Samurai fantasy army book for warhammer or a fantasy table top war game
    This book is as polished as its going to get in terms of homebrew and an easy grand slam for the Game as a whole. Even a "In official beta" would give the books creaters the credit they deserve for all the work they've done. Id even say "never consider my own home brews" if it ment the Nippon book got pushed out into the lime light like it deserves.
    I am going to offend you. You are not going to like it. You will survive.

Chaotic Neutral
    youtube.com/channel/UCJ9e5C1f26iuvhOA33rsFJQ

Model Reviews with Twice the Brain Injuries!
  • Ghiznuk wrote:

There is not even an official Japan country in our setting.
    I dont see why this is a reason. You just have another part of the map. Plonk it down somewhere in relation and write some lore on it. Ive been doing this for the last 3 months writing 3 campaigns for a huge DnD server as their lore master and writing my own book on YouTube for 20k subscribers. It aint a difficult thing to do and the LEAST that could be done for the guys who put so much of their heart and soul into the book itself.

Chaotic Neutral

• Vulgarsty wrote:

I thought I heard “Shogunate of the Sunrise Isles” mentioned somewhere in the past.

Sounds pretty evocative
    I'd love to see the top 3-5 names from the powers that be and let the community vote to decide the name. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, but it would be a way for the community to be involved.
    ~Good Cheer to All~
    Larry

:VC: Nosferatu :UD_bw: Terracotta Army
  • Forum participation does not make the community so I would advise against expecting anything like that to happen. :)

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

Team Croatia ETC 2019 Captain ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ HEROES AND VILLEINS OF THE 9TH AGE

• Calisson wrote:

Comments in orange

Whenever we make anything official, it means several things:

the document has to follow T9A management directives; there is no author anymore able to claim ownership, even if the original author is acknowledged;
    no problem here

the background is "canon", i.e. official and won't ever be "retconned";
    If there were indeed already some discussions regarding this (world map location, name etc.), that's actually great!

the document must follow standardized layout and stylistic guidelines; including artwork for the cover and the logo;
    Layout: check
    Artwork / Cover: I'm sure we can find someone in the community who is willing replace the old icons with new ones :).

rules have been checked for consistency; even if it is not balanced for tournaments, the power level is reasonably balanced;
    Seeing that the rules would probably change by quite a bit, I cannot say anything regarding that. But this also doesn't seem too far fetched if a little bit of work is put into it. I mean, if Cultists & Co. are there already, I personally don't see major problems here.

model ranges exist;
    check

someone is in charge of it; the community can discuss it with that person;
    If the day ever comes, I'd apply for ACS (or whatever similar role that might be). :D

T9A will commit in the foreseeable future to maintain the document, across future rules or layout adaptations.
    I may miss a couple of constraints that the project will self-inflict if it makes the Homebrew to become an official supplement.

I might add translations. Seeing that some translation teams are struggling with the official stuff alone, that might also be an issue. Luckily, with the help of some motivated and helpful community members, I think the following languages are already covered (without any actual help needed from the translation teams):
    - English
    - German
    - Spanish
    - French

The good news is that top management is now open to investigate the possibility of having a standard procedure for incorporating some selected Homebrew into official documents.
    Whether this openness will result in effective procedure, nobody knows yet. Whether Nippon will be among the first considered Homebrew is pure speculation at this stage. Suffice to say that I am quite optimistic on these two possibilities, but I am optimistic by nature.

That's interesting. Please keep us updated if there is any news!

-=-
    Illustration of point 1, it depends only on @Caledoriv to accept to release control over his baby or to keep it.

That's a low price to pay :D . Plus, I might still be able to influence the book as ACS (or whatever new role) if my application for it is accepted.

If I may provide an illustration of point 2., here it would be:
    Nippon is not an acceptable name for T9A management, being both a real historic name and a name used by Warhammer.
    However, there is no way the Homebrew authors can guess what would be an acceptable T9A name. Sometimes, non-faction names are known (Koghi, Vanhu, Sagarikadesha), sometimes Homebrew picks up mistakenly a name for which the BG team has different ideas (Kegiz Gavem).
    If ever Nippon Homebrew would be adapted as an official supplement, a new name would be adopted.
    That name has been been discussed internally.
    The name of one main faction there could be "Tojiko", meaning "Eastern Island".
    Some story would need to be written.

Names are nothing but smoke and mirrors. That's the least of my concerns, really. It might need some time to get used to something new, though. "Nippon" was around for so long now.
    Also, if I had access to the official T9A background, I probably would have written some fluff already for the army. But I never bothered wrtiting "new fluff" as it'd probably go to waste anyway when the official fluff is released.

Giladis wrote:

If such a procedure becomes a reality the authors of the Homebrew should be acutely aware their works are bound to be significantly altered by the BGT in order to fit the T9A setting the Project has been developing for almost 5 years now. It should also be noted that more detailed the work is the higher the chance it will require extensive overhauls.
    The only available fluff is for the old game Warhammer. There is no "homebrew fluff" yet - at least none that I know of. Hence, only the rules would be affected at this point.

tiny wrote:

Or in other words: If you want to truly influence the creative process of the project you will have to go the long way and participate as part of the team.
    Would you elaborate, please?
    I thought there was no procedure, let alone any intention of dealing with homebrew stuff officially in any way. The latter probably changed, as far as I understand @Calisson s post.

If there are indeed positions we can apply for regarding this topic, please tell us :) .
  • this is going in a very promising direction!

i'd still be curious to know if publishing it as supplement would require having the parent book published as LAB. that would give us a clearer idea of the (relative) timeline. just as an example: WDG, DL, ID, VS, DE, EoS -> japanese-themed army.

side note: i think Tiny was only referring to popular choice determining the book's name.

The post was edited 1 time, last by piteglio ().

• Caledoriv wrote:

Would you elaborate, please?
    I thought there was no procedure, let alone any intention of dealing with homebrew stuff officially in any way. The latter probably changed, as far as I understand @Calisson s post.

If there are indeed positions we can apply for regarding this topic, please tell us .
    @tiny means you can apply to join the background or design team and hope to be selected to participate on the creation of the East Augean faction document (Either a full armybook, an auxiliary book to one of the other factions, or maybe even both) when we get to do it. :)

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

• Caledoriv wrote:

The only available fluff is for the old game Warhammer. There is no "homebrew fluff" yet - at least none that I know of. Hence, only the rules would be affected at this point.
    This is a very important bit. If the rules you wrote are based on GW IP the Project wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. We legally cannot.

The only thing we as a project can do is to create our own fantasy faction which would share the general fantasy niche with GW's Nippon.

Advisory Board

Background Team

Art Team Coordinator

• Giladis wrote:

Caledoriv wrote:

This is a very important bit. If the rules you wrote are based on GW IP the Project wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. We legally cannot.
    The only thing we as a project can do is to create our own fantasy faction which would share the general fantasy niche with GW's Nippon.
    Come off it, really. GW blatantly borrowed from Asian mythology down to magical dragons. Last I checked GW didnt copywrite the Japanese Mythical Pathion.

Chaotic Neutral