Pinned Discussion & Questions on Naming for HE Rules and Units

  • Feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

  • Discussion & Questions on Naming for HE Rules and Units

    Dear HE generals

    This thread has the goal of discussing the current names of HE units, items, mounts, equipments and rules.

    You can vote for the 5 names you like the most here: HE GOOD Naming Poll
    You can also vote for the 5 names you dislike the most here: HE BAD Naming Poll

    Please note that there are 3 polls in each thread (one for units, one for items and mounts, one for rules).

    Besides, BGT member @Giladis has kindly made himself available in this thread to answer questions about the names or anything related to the inspiration/concept behind them.

    Feel free to start the discussion or ask questions then :)

    Cheers,
    HE ACSs.
    'He opened the battered book. Bits of paper and string indicated his many bookmarks.
    "In fact, men, the general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is..." he turned the page, "Don't Have a Battle."
    "Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.'
    Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

    My humble Highborn Elves army blog:
    Elendor paints Highborn Elves

    Avatar from: The Silmarillion Project

    The post was edited 1 time, last by elendor_f ().

  • The name High Princes is very generic but indicates that there is many of them, aka probably not the true sons of the emperor but presumably rulers of part of the country. Can we know more about this aspect ?
    This gets behind the "naming" questions and gets into fluff territory i am aware.

    I also note that our "best" leader is a noble one while our "second" is of a military path. Is there a reason why ?

    A bit of the same regarding warden of "the flame". Do you know more and can you tell us more about this flame ? i have been wondering for a long time.


    Regarding likes and dislikes, at first glance i kinda dislike the names that are closely related to what we knew earlier (SM, LG, MoCT) and like the new ones, related closely or not to the luff (Dorac, Meladys).

    On a very personal opinion, i do not get along with the "of the Queen" honors, Elu (means promoted in french) and Asfad (just someone rolling his head over a keyboard with asdf - which are following on a Swiss keyboard). I am nitpicking i know it ^^ .
  • Kopistar wrote:

    The name High Princes is very generic but indicates that there is many of them, aka probably not the true sons of the emperor but presumably rulers of part of the country. Can we know more about this aspect ?
    This gets behind the "naming" questions and gets into fluff territory i am aware.
    It is intended as generic but also quite accurate. The quote from Wikipedia best expresses which part of the etymology of the word "prince" we used as basis for the concept - though the concept of the "High Prince" includes more :)


    The original, but now less common use of the word, originated in the application of the Latin word princeps, from late Roman law, and the classical system of government that eventually gave way to the European feudal society. In this sense, a prince is a ruler of a territory which is sovereign, or quasi-sovereign, i.e., exercising substantial (though not all) prerogatives associated with monarchs of independent nations, such as the immediate states within the historical boundaries of the Holy Roman Empire. In medieval and Early Modern Europe, there were as many as two hundred such territories, especially in Italy, Germany, and Gaelic Ireland. In this sense, "prince" is used of any and all rulers, regardless of actual title or precise rank.




    Kopistar wrote:

    I also note that our "best" leader is a noble one while our "second" is of a military path. Is there a reason why ?
    This is intentional choice to give a reflection of the social structure of HE society. For comparison look at the DE and SE books.



    Kopistar wrote:

    A bit of the same regarding warden of "the flame". Do you know more and can you tell us more about this flame ? i have been wondering for a long time.
    If you look at the Army Icon you will notice the fire is one the three elements shown. Furthermore if you examine the army book entries you will notice more than a few are in some way related with fire: Dragons (3 variants), Phoenix, specialised Wizard of The Order of the Fiery Heart, Flame Wardens. Thus an observer can conclude fire, both as an element and as a metaphor, is of some importance to the HE.

    Advisory Board

    Background Team

    Assistant Head of Art Team

  • I'll post in detail later but my main issues are the names that literally states what each entry does (i.E. citizen spears nothing left for imagination dies what it says on the tin : bland spear welding unit. Might be good for game play as you don't need to explain anyone what unit is about but as the player I don't get excited about it either.)
    And names that are far too embedded into the fluff (that's how GW named HE units, so fast cav comes from specific territory, fighty knights come from other...)
    Then we have the plethora of guards; lion, quesn's, flame. (warden = guard)
    Most of the names in current book are bland or unimaginative with a hint of GW Legacy.

    I hope LAB will be brave enough to cull at least great majority if not all.

    There are some good names like nova flare or Master of the Canerig Tower but I wouldn't lose sleep if they went down with the rest.
  • I would like the Queen's Cavalier renamed to King's Cavalier.
    This is mainly due to the "Dread" problem of naming everything after the same thing. Dread this, Dread that. Queen's this, and Queen's that.

    I agree with Matrim that most the names just suffer from blandness.

    I don't mind the warden and guard as they do have different connotations.

    It would be nice to mix in some Greek city state themes such as Hoplite. This would give contrast to the DE Legions. ...but not EVERYTHING needs to be greek city state themed - just a few items/abilities/units should suffice.
  • Some questions about special items :) Feel free to ignore them if they cannot be answered yet.

    In the Ninth Scroll vol. 12 p.34 we can read a legend about five Elven princes and a special set of armour forged by the god Dorac, which is heavily implied to be the origin of the enchantment Protection of Dorac.

    Are there similar legends for, say, the Book of Meladys or Elu's Heartwood?
    Is the Book of Meladys named to honour the goddess, or is there a legend telling that she wrote the first volume / inspired the first author of the book / something similar? I don't know if this question can be answered here or I should direct it to the Ask the Sage thread :)

    Was the Ring of the Pearl Throne forged for the first White Queen?
    'He opened the battered book. Bits of paper and string indicated his many bookmarks.
    "In fact, men, the general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is..." he turned the page, "Don't Have a Battle."
    "Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.'
    Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

    My humble Highborn Elves army blog:
    Elendor paints Highborn Elves

    Avatar from: The Silmarillion Project
  • elendor_f wrote:

    In the Ninth Scroll vol. 12 p.34 we can read a legend about five Elven princes and a special set of armour forged by the god Dorac, which is heavily implied to be the origin of the enchantment Protection of Dorac.

    Are there similar legends for, say, the Book of Meladys or Elu's Heartwood?
    Is the Book of Meladys named to honour the goddess, or is there a legend telling that she wrote the first volume / inspired the first author of the book / something similar? I don't know if this question can be answered here or I should direct it to the Ask the Sage thread

    Was the Ring of the Pearl Throne forged for the first White Queen?
    The age of the magical enchantments and artefacts is varied. Some are ancient while others are new. At the same while some enchantments are ancient all the items which bear them could be new for multiple reasons.

    The more background specific an item or enchantment is the more likely there is a story behind it especially for artefacts and banner since all artefacts are objects rather than enchantments while some banner are the same.

    Advisory Board

    Background Team

    Assistant Head of Art Team

  • Giladis wrote:

    The more background specific an item or enchantment is the more likely there is a story behind it especially for artefacts and banner since all artefacts are objects rather than enchantments while some banner are the same.


    This is the HIGH elf thread....

    Man, back in the 7th ages, EVERYBODY was using banner of speed. I'm talking MSU's, MMU's, MLU's, you name it, theyz was packing banner of speed!

    But now'a'dayz , these new units be using Aether Icon all over the place!