Engine of Damnation upgrade design on Hope Harvester... missed chance??

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Engine of Damnation upgrade design on Hope Harvester... missed chance??

So, Ive been playing a Hope Harvester with engine of damnation lately and I must say it is really lacklustre in combat, plus I rarely ever use its shooting weapon since I usually either march 15 inches to tag along with some greater daemon or its charging. And this is a shame, because I see a design like the Infernal Engine on ID (shooting or extra combat damage) and it makes me think thats an option the hope harvester shouldve gotten when being a big monster: to lose its shooting weapon in exchange of soemthing like 1D3+1 grind attacks, for example. Or to have it as an option (keep or lose the shooting) when upgrading to engine of damnation.

Was this ever even considered when the LAB team designed it? Is it still possible to implement something like this? Can someone please tag the team to see their opinions on the matter. Thank you.
    "Having been on both the giving and receiving end of this lore: if a game of warhammer is in some ways like a game of chess, then a successful death spell feels like the equivalent of throwing a brick at the chess board."
  • As one of the team members I can assure it went through many design concepts. This book was caught and split when all of the procedures and processes changed and evolved to what we have now. So as other armies come out, other options will seem cooler. That’s the nature of going second out of 16. Whoever gets the 16th book is going to be either blessed or cursed with design options. Either the door will be wide open with opportunities or really stuck with repetition hurdles.

Anyway, the Engine was originally going to be scrapped from the army. The old “crab” could have been used for the Maw model. Some of us didn’t want that and we had to come up with a way that didn’t screw up with all of the restrictions that were in place on design at the time. So bottom line is that it is a shooting platform first and foremost. It is a support piece for other solo models, providing “cheap” cover compared to the cost of certain solo models. It couldn’t be a “cannon” as it would have been so wimpy of a cannon that it didn’t make sense. It also had to fit the background the best we could at the time. A strong combat model would have put it in league with characters and Blazing Glories Such that the roles and pricing would have put it back on the scrap pile. This book was done at first in conjunction with WDG and they don’t have war machines either...so I’m very glad that we were able to get what we did when we split off from trying to keep connections. It does have some niche combat skills and we chose gigantic instead of large with towering presence so that it could get the stomps to boost certain combats. It has the manifestations that it does to also help the roles in which we could have for it...support. Also, everything had to fit for both the “little” version and the Engine version. I’d like to see it a little cheaper, but @Orion you remember the pitfalls of pricing. So many things effect the price and it’s usually done based on that it can shoot with 3 extra VT used. I would love to have 2 of them (Engine version) and 1 greater gigantic character (Scourge, not Sentinel) but those restrictions are very tough to change. I actually started a conversation with members of RT to see how the next update can/will go and some ideas for it. So when that DL questionnaire gets posted, make sure to fill it out. (It’s the one that other armies have gotten where you pick up to 5 OP/UP things)
    If I’m using my sentinel, then I’m always running an Engine and a harvester. I’ve thought of running 2 big guys, but haven’t yet. I’d love March and Shoot on it, but we’ve all seen the ID backlash for that. QTF has also become a very bad word, so the AIM 3+ is still the best of a so-so situation, especially with the right spell combo.
    B. "MF’ing" Jones - CGL Member

D.L.- ADT - TT

Campaign Design-Broken Isles

Adv. Magic & Giants Design

PlaytestTeam-Mid Atlantic USA

Vermin Swarms LAB TT

The post was edited 1 time, last by skipschnit ().

• I really like the hope harvester with engine upgrade, but it's main function is a simple line of sight blocker in my book.

150mm front facing and Gigantic.

For me, it's a portable mountain. There's a lot of tactical value in having a portable mountain.

Current plan is Hermit Crabs sticking out of a castle tower, regarding the model.

Dunno, I think the Hope Harvester is kinda a utility piece for DL. Does a bunch of random things. Aside from being a LoS blocker, it's not particularly impressive at any one role.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chronocide ().

• skipschnit wrote:

I’d love March and Shoot on it, but we’ve all seen the ID backlash for that. QTF has also become a very bad word, so the AIM 3+ is still the best of a so-so situation, especially with the right spell combo.
    DL already has superior March and Shoot, we call it "Mark of the Eternal Champion"

Hope Harvester can March 15" and launch that magical bolt thrower. And, as a Gigantic model, can usually shoot "over" most enemy units, which is a pretty big deal if the opponent keeps their soft stuff in their backfield.
  • From my own games running the upgraded Engine I find that the +3VT shots are not quite enough.

If something/changed it could be much more versatile.

Example:
    Exchange your VT for increase to the volley gun AP (allowing different targets to be shot at)
    or
    Simply increase the number of shots per VT to 4. (Even this single increase per VT is probably enough to see more get used)
    For more from me : @Enchantedbytim on twitter.

Milton Keynes, UK

ETC 2020 :( - Scotland XX Player
    ETC 2019 - Scotland BH Player
    ETC 2018 - Scotland VC Player
    ETC 2017 - Scotland OK Player
  • I think any buff to the Engine of Damnation (EoD) would be accompanied by a price increase. It's a great monster for 405points. The reason it doesn't get played much IMO is there are stronger choices in the book. When these choices inevitably get toned down I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot of EoD.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gingersmali ().

• Yep. I already want it to go down in price, but I don’t think that is going to happen. It has many other roles than just shooting and variety is already built into it. An extra 9 shots is quite good for an army that usually has extra VT that it can’t use otherwise.
    B. "MF’ing" Jones - CGL Member

D.L.- ADT - TT

Campaign Design-Broken Isles

Adv. Magic & Giants Design

PlaytestTeam-Mid Atlantic USA

Vermin Swarms LAB TT